Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Fax Sr posted:

I kinda like sgs a bit. how wrong is this?

i like them too, but it's my gay secret so don't tell anyone ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

thread challenge; show me a five string bass that isn't goofy and retarded

as a general rule, I don't like basses with more than 4 strings. to me, there's just something about a nice natural fender p bass with just the split pickups, and those bigass open geared tuners. i like maple fretboards too

so loving sexy

wanna meet that bass

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

rio posted:

Actually George Van Eps invented the 7 string with a low A in the late 30's and was a lot better at it than Vai or the guy from Korn or probably anyone else for that matter.

i just heard his rocking jams in the elevator on my way up to 3 olives condo iirc

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

oh he still does, i mean look at this fuckin trainwreck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qNOWn4wYCs

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

This picture sent me to the ESP Japan page to see if that dude from The Alfee had come up with anything new and weird of late, and I found this and I'm just sad now: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/tommy_stinson/index.html

That said, gently caress, this is ugly: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/michael_paget/index.html

welp

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I can't say anything about the quality of any of his guitars, but what I do know is that both a good friend of mine and I have called him before with the intent to buy from him. As in he didn't even have to sell us on anything. We just wanted some information before we made our purchases. In both instances, on separate days, he answered the phone with an immediate, horrible attitude, like he just couldn't believe the audacity of someone interrupting his day to try to give him money in exchange for an instrument.

My friend asked him about whether a guitar he was interested in was in stock and without another word Ed literally interrupted with "And just how do you plan to pay for this thing, kid? Are mommy and daddy going to buy it for you?" My friend was in high school at the time and had a relatively well-paying job so he could definitely afford whatever it was he was interested in. A few days before that, I had called in and asked about one of the brands of guitars he was carrying at the time, which he immediately told me were all pieces of poo poo, which honestly wouldn't be so bad on its own because hey it's just an opinion, but then he tried to sell me on I believe it was one of his Steinberger knockoffs, you know, those headless 80s style guitars with just enough body wood to house the electronics and nothing else, and would not even entertain the idea of discussing other guitars with me, even when I asked about them directly. He just kept deflecting back to whatever he wanted to talk about, which by the way was not even close to what I was looking for in any capacity, which I tried to explain to him more than once. Needless to say neither one of us bought anything from the guy.

I wish this was hyperbole and that I was exaggerating. Call it anecdotal if it makes you feel any better. I really wanted to like a guy with a guitar store that kick rear end, but what a douche.

i've got a good friend with sort of a similar story. ed overcharges, is a complete narcissist, won't shut the gently caress up, ever, and wants to chip in his two cents, no matter what the freakin' topic is.

so I don't want to make a huge mistake, but is an ibanez Jet King acceptable? i mean, i really like the sound of the guitar. I think it could have done without that top bit of tortex imho, but drat i really like the feel of this fuckin guitar

am i in love with an ugly guitar?

its bad
isnt it

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

A little late, but

The hardware on this thing is rock-solid. The input jack is reinforced like a loving tank. The body is some weird polymer I think? It's also contoured on the back and so it feels really nice against me when I'm playing. Only downside is it's by far the heaviest loving thing I've ever slung around my neck.

e: Ibanez Ergodyne EDB405, one of the early models (the later ones were a little weirder in shape and lost the 3-band EQ). I only bought it because my guitarist decided to write a bunch of songs for a 7-string and basically demanded I pick up a 5-string to match; I bought it on CL for $225 with a hardcase, straplocks and an extra set of strings (bass strings are loving expensive, a 5-string set is like $30-40)

thats not that offensive tbqh and i have the worlds ugliest soundgear 500 - it was splattered with brown housepaint, covered in skull stickers and had the fret numbers CARVED INTO THE NECK

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

Hey OP, is it cool to also post ugly/dumb/stoopid guitar poo poo, cause there's a lot of it.

hey boo, go apeshit. try to not to break any tables

even if i like silverburst guitars

baby don't hurt me

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I just want to wish everyone in this thread a happy new year

would anyone like to play a game of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

[insert Black Metal joke here]

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

I've only ever played an original from 85/86 and not a re-issue. If you don't mind tuning it every thirty seconds, it sounds so loving great. The tuning thing makes it a pain to use in a live show, but the crowds find the deep boom coming from a space Ukelele to be funny.

not to mention that the stock strings will just snap if they're left under standard tuning tension in a matter of hours. i had an ashbory for all of two weeks before i gave it to some kid that reads too much talkbass

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dewgy posted:

^^^ shut up

my high G snapped in half and flew off directly into the garbage so this is true, getting red pahoehoes to replace it should work pretty well though

the fella i gave that bass to put multicolored pahoedoes and he calls it his dread bass

have you persons ever broken a string on a real guitar/bass guitar, have the end go into an electrical outlet and then flame up like a loving lightbulb element, blaze brilliantly for like 2 seconds and then turn to dust?

parkers are pretty loving ugly imho

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress you sperglord.h don't respond to faustus seriously

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

hey guys whats going on

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

there's an idea ^^^

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

we should start a guitar gang dudes

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Cobalt60 posted:

This is a top-notch story, but as far as ugly guitars threads god, if stupid sexy Faustus didn't spoil it, Ed Roman would be king of it.

Seriously, here's a ten-point argument about why one ugly guitar is a forgery of another ugly guitar.
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/jfrog/fake.htm

lost it hard at "Pure unadulterated garbage."

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I never asked anyone to post tracks until he called me out. Not one of you have stepped up, since.
Who goaded whom?

I thought so.

I posted an acoustic track but I was kinda goofing off so eh

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

it's just music. christ, whats the worst thing that can happen? people can hate your music, or they can think you're a douchebag for not being able to take some criticism?

gently caress it here's a song i wrote, hope some people enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/last-word

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Is it specifically quilted maple that you hate or is it any of the figured tops? I'm genuinely curious because I see people say this from time to time.

I'm not a fan of quilted tops - like the quilted maple top on the Schecter C+ I had - it was otherwise a great guitar, but I traded it away with some other gear to get an early '90's Paul Reed Smith when the opportunity arose.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Paul Gilbert is a way nice dude and plays like a demon schizo nympho on meth, but I despise his signature guitars.

i always thought of the iceman having a chin so i looked at both guitars up there as being left handed for some reason and i'm kinda high and scared and i'm not sure man

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

killhamster posted:

here i'm posting

why is dennis hopper gunning down rob halford

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Gilberts is the 'fireman' it's like the anti-iceman for some reason.

some executive somewhere greenlit that

does that bother anyone?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

well that was pretty poignant

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Fax Sr posted:

hi again thread

as thread owner and now convinced that aspergers is contagious, i implore you to post more often

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Nope, it definitely plays the devil rock and roll!
i always thought the birds were neat i figured the paint would catch more ire

i dunno, when i saw that prs, i was instantly reminded of the 1977 houston astros for some reason

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 3, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

its a thing in mexico

it's like so when you take a poo poo in a public stall, other people know that you're taking a poo poo in a public stall

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

mitchell ukulele, an sg and a fretless bass i built with a de-fretted p-bass neck mounted to an old cello body i braced up with plywood

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/the-try

just a melody i had kicking around in my head - hope you enjoy this, it's not quite done

the "bacello" is ugly as gently caress btw, waiting for my camera to recharge so i can post it here

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 4, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harry in Rio posted:

mitchell ukulele, an sg and a fretless bass i built with a de-fretted p-bass neck mounted to an old cello body i braced up with plywood

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/the-try

just a melody i had kicking around in my head - hope you enjoy this, it's not quite done

the "bacello" is ugly as gently caress btw, waiting for my camera to recharge so i can post it here

what i pretty much play - the sg is just so much fun to play, i know, i know, 3 humbuckers. this is the ugly guitar thread.

i love ouds. i really, really love ouds.

and this where i belong when i'm not tending livestock, or dealing with the other myriads of poo poo in life... i love recording and i do it almost daily. sometimes i'll just record a cello piece or some stupid guitar stuff for a friend doing a youtube video - but pushing 50, hey, i'm loving happy, happier than i have ever been in life.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Photex posted:

Dude...I work with a lot gear too but what the gently caress do you have going on here

thats not even half of the gear i've set got - but when i record my own drums i have my girlfriend sitting about 80 feet away watching poo poo - this is mostly presonus firewire stuff, i use studio one to record with, obviously you can see the bbe sonic maximizer and the eq's.

for drums i play a frankenkit - i also have a custom kit i brought back from england - 10 lug 24" bass, and 6 rack toms with an 18" floor tom. i ditched the rack toms and play a 4 piece now, with some stuff i've rescued (a 22" ride that was keyholed and cracked that i turned down to 20", i built my own gong from 1/8" stainless steel, using smooth-cote stainless steel welding rods and a lot of time with a grinder - welded the supports from an old bed frame)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dolphin posted:

oh look a cellobass. i bet the person who made that thought "this is going to sound awesome" because of cello acoustics or some dumb poo poo.

no, it was just repurposing something. it was broken, i had some other parts and i decided to try it out. it actually projects quite well unamplified, but that's not why i did it.

i put a 1/8th inch piece of round rod in the bottom that is tightened with a wing-nut, so you play it like a stand up. with the lace pickup, it doesn't sound that bad. that cello body was literally trash. i got it for nothing and at the time was playing irish folk music, so it was a lot of fun to poke around on that with the group of fellas i was running around with at the time.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Photex posted:

I noticed that I was trying to follow the runs but I'm on my cell. I just uh don't understand this I see three 4 channel and one 8 channel, are those bringanothers? (Behringer)

Oh wait are you using a patch bay to basically use those 4s as expansions or something ?

yep, i was really over-miccing a drum kit.. i was just trying something a little different

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Photex posted:

fair enough it works , it may not be pretty but once I noticed the snake and realized those were stereo outs it made sense. I don't quite understand the love for the bbe though everyone says its like taking a pillow off your instrument :shrug:

i dunno, really, the bbe maximizers are ok, i have a bbe sm stomp box for my bass that... i dunno, it's like adding salt to fries.

almost all that stuff i got was in trade for some favor i did... like welding a feeder or hauling something. i have an agreement with my significant other about money and gear - yeah, i can make my own patch cabled, but i can't make a new computer monitor - i need to make it self sustaining as possible. i play some open mics, and that's ok. but when it comes to gear, i just scrounge whatever - that snake came from a place going out of business and i grabbed it. i read about miccing the resonant heads on drums, and it was a nightmare getting the gates set right. i hit hard.

this is just simple poo poo i started off with an a7 chord. it's not hard to play, just fun for me. i'm very happy being a farmer, and have no aspirations of doing anything besides making music that i am happy with. it's like amateur photography for me. i'm not trying to impress anyone, and probably couldn't if i wanted to.

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/on-the-cusp

if you want to hear me really embarrass myself, holy poo poo, my singing is as bad as my guitar playing

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

yes, it's gay and i'm ok with that

here's a really ugly guitar some dude tried to trade me on craiglist, i was like, that's a pretty ugly guitar, and he was like it's a quilted top, and then i was like well, it sure is

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

What did you try to trade for it?

an old lincoln ac tombstone welder

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

stratdax posted:

Nobody except like one guy would ever have known about you if you hadn't posted anything in the first place. Sometimes (every time) the best thing to do is to turn off the computer.

Here's yet another ugly guitar:

holy poo poo, with all those rockers i think it might be possible to change the polarity of a small moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

Yeah, figured it was either gonna be something like that or your rear end.

SPERGOUT

now i'm gonna sperg out because of that burn

for the next 41 pages

OK YOU ASKED FOR IT CANUCKISTANI OK GOSH

• Locked thread