Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

uublog posted:

I enjoyed it, as well. I think the great acting goes to how well-written the characters must have been to start with. Obviously since it's a David O. Russell work (actually a reworking of the other guy's script, originally titled American Bullshit, which I somehow want to see more) so that's to be expected but I saw a thing where Bale wasn't sure how a scene fit with the plot and Russell said to not worry about it and focus on building character, or something like that.

According to IMDB Russell said "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it."

Which makes sense, because the movie shines when the characters are playing off one another but as a whole narrative I didn't think it worked great. It was definitely a big love letter to Scorsese especially in terms of the pacing, but I don't think Russell pulled it off nearly as well (go figure).

but, as a comedy, it's one of the funnier movies I've seen in awhile. I kept thinking that Bradley Cooper's character was like a Charlie Day trying to do detective work sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

The broken bones posted:

What's the deal with this exactly? Whose idea was it for Russell to do this after Silver Linings? This was clearly a very plot heavy movie and out of Russell's strengths (character-based comedy/drama).

Um, my guess is it was Russell's? I'm imagining after directing two Best Picture noms in a row you pretty much get carte blanche over what you want to do next.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Silver Linings Playbook is bad, but Three Kings is a legit really good movie.

Three Kings definitely owns a lot.

Honestly the only David O Russell film I really didn't like was Huckabees but I haven't seen The Fighter or anything pre-Three Kings.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Incendiary Pig posted:

I have seen Three Kings, which does kick rear end. I've seen about a half hour of Huckabees and holy poo poo was that movie boring as gently caress.

Boring and pretentious but what can you expect from a movie where the director is running around calling his cast "A bunch of cunts" or whatever tirade he ended up going on.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Jeremy Renner's character was pretty forgettable and while his performance was good it didn't match up to the "wacky very unsubtle satire"-esque poo poo that all the other actors are getting recognition for.

• Locked thread