Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I felt like this film needed to be both tighter and have more down-time. The whole thing sorta rushed by, and it all played out so high-octane that after a while it was hard not to just check out and wait for it to be over. It has the manic pacing of Goodfellas (with a handful of unearned Scorsese-esque interludes) and the purposeful confusion of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but I feel like it lacks the grace of either. There were several gripping scenes and arcs and so on (the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road New Jersey dinner thing where they're all entering through the smoke was probably the emotional high for me) but it was so jammed together that none of it ever carried over. On the other hand, the performances were phenomenal, particularly the unrecognizable Christian Bale, and might be the best reason to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I totally jerked it to this movie.

edit: it seems obvious in retrospect but I love that moment where they're making out in the swirling rack of laundromat clothes, lost in costumes, and then later he goes back and mopes around in the same spot by himself. Layers of artifice.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 28, 2013

• Locked thread