Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Apples McGrind posted:

It was mostly Cooper's delivery of the whole thing. I think the line was "it doesn't make sense. Maybe it'll make sense if we gently caress" or something along those lines. It also wasn't filmed with any sort of intensity or horror like an assault scene. I was a flat medium shot that just sort of lingered that offered no emotional connection.

Also, my audience thought it was loving hysterical, but I think they might've been retarded.

Either way, I don't think Russell has a great understanding of cinematic language.

I don't want to pigeon hole the movie, but overall I think it is best understood as a dark comedy, a large number of scenes are played for and meant to be comedic, although there are some sincerely disturbing parts. Cooper becomes increasingly unhinged but so many of his responses are over the top, I was often laughing.

I was certainly laughing after Amy Adams throws Cooper out of the bathroom and there's a spiraling shot from above while she goes to the bathroom and screams, the whole thing was too over the top and absurd not to be intentionally funny.

I thought the assault scene you mentioned was actually played pretty straight, unless you count the end when he asks where his boss is so he can go beat him up. The ensuing "shoot out" between Louis C.K. and Cooper also had me laughing.

Surlaw posted:

It's a pretty safe bet that the creepy, uncomfortable scene that creeped you out was intended to. It's a pathetic guy hitting rock bottom and losing control in a really gross way. Which part of it made you think you should have been laughing?

I laughed at pretty much every stage of Cooper hitting rock bottom. Obviously the movie isn't just a comedy and certain scenes aren't the least bit funny, but the movie has a lot going on.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread