Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think there's a major "boxing in" that comes when DiMaso believes that "Edith" is just Irving's associate, a girl who got caught up in the glitz of the lifestyle who's not actually a serious con artist. He's predisposed to believe everything but the obvious lie (that she's royalty) because he never thinks that she would extensively fake her identity on her own. It's funny, because he assumes she's like him and that turns out to be true- it's just that he doesn't realize his self-image is wrong. He's got tunnel vision when there's something he wants to see. I think that the movie presents everyone- DiMaso, Irving, Edith, Polito, upstanding members of society and suave criminals- are pulling a con and being conned in some fashion. Irving plays everyone, but is used by DiMaso and Rosalyn. Edith wants DiMaso to make Irving jealous and vice-versa (same with Irving for Edith and Rosalyn), but maybe it's just that they want whoever they can't have at the moment. Polito's a good man, he's just a good man who had to make hard choices, et cetera, et cetera, cost of doing business, I'm doing it for my constituents. Honestly, his actions are realistic as hell.

Unfortunately, I don't think this pays off for the ending where they just go straight? It felt unsatisfying. I don't mind Irving and Edith "winning," it's just that every part of the story is setting them up for destruction. The movie makes it clear that both of them just have to have what's out of their reach, they're both in way over their heads, and they're inevitably crossing some major people, either the mafia or the FBI. But then nothing happens. I don't want a morality play where the wicked are punished, it felt that Edith and Irving just cut ties too cleanly. I just left the theater thinking "that was it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread