Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I felt like this film needed to be both tighter and have more down-time. The whole thing sorta rushed by, and it all played out so high-octane that after a while it was hard not to just check out and wait for it to be over.

I agree with this completely. I enjoyed the film and thought the performances (especially Bale, like you said) were mostly fantastic but it was such a loose film.

I usually don't mind a bit of an odd structure but David O. Russell always works best in a straight line, rather than a zig-zagging one and as such the movie didn't suit him. He didn't allow certain scenes to breathe enough and settle, but he also let others drag a bit too much. In the end it all felt a little inconsequential and didn't earn the runtime it had in that sense.

I thought Adams (who is usually quite good) wasn't great which made her very important character stick out a bit compared to the rest of the cast who knocked it out of the park. To be honest I felt like Rosalyn was a more likable character, despite being a user, manipulator and a bit of a nutter at times. She was just far more interesting and I never totally bought Sydney and Irving's relationship; I feel like her with Cooper's character had more impact. I do realise that it isn't her fault entirely, but she didn't convey what she did have to work with especially well.

I'm a bit torn on the movie because I loved a lot of things about it but I also felt like there was a lot of wasted potential. It's still worth a watch but it's not at the level of Russell's other recent work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm astonished that people are sympathizing Rosalyn. I described her to a friend as the most easily hateable and contemptible character since, like, Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter 5

The performance was absolutely amazing--Lawrence nailed it spot on. But she was such a selfish, self-destructive, manipulative disaster area that I had nothing but disgust with her the whole film.

Great character, for sure. But sympathetic? Come on.

I guess it's somewhat relatable/pitiable for some reason (I was more the latter). She's an excellent character but you're probably right, sympathetic might not be the right word. She's incredibly interesting is probably a better way to put it.

• Locked thread