Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I enjoyed it, as well. I think the great acting goes to how well-written the characters must have been to start with. Obviously since it's a David O. Russell work (actually a reworking of the other guy's script, originally titled American Bullshit, which I somehow want to see more) so that's to be expected but I saw a thing where Bale wasn't sure how a scene fit with the plot and Russell said to not worry about it and focus on building character, or something like that.

This is one of those films that I really enjoy listening to the people who worked on it discuss. Like casting Louis CK as the FBI Supervisor which will literally never stop delighting me. Or how they digressed from the real story. Or about much of the "comedy" not actually being in the dialogue (and this being a weird movie to try to classify or explain to someone who hasn't seen it)

I want to compare this to Silver Linings Playbook for some reason (because that's what I saw last Christmas) and my first thought is that this is a bigger cast working even better together.

By the way, excellent work by Elisabeth Röhm (Law & Order: Vanilla's Lesbian ADA) for hiding in plain sight as the mayor's wife. I didn't even realize she was in it til the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I read something really accurate in FilmDrunk's review:

quote:

The crazy thing is that it feels like Lawrence’s part was written for someone 10 years older, but she acts the poo poo out of it so hard that you just sit back in awe of her.

which is another thing I wondered about after SLP. Like, she's obviously not married with a kid from a previous relationship at 23 here, even more so when you remember Bale is 16 years older than she is, but it's incredible how well she handles it.

Also, I thought the cinematography when they're walking into "Studio 54" was really cool, with the lights flashing, and it seemed like Cooper was gliding across the floor, and then like ten seconds into it I wondered if I was having a seizure and I was like, "hmm, maybe this is a bit too much."

e:

Vargo posted:

Side note, it's pretty funny that a big part of this movie is Bradley Cooper trying to gently caress over a guy who's trying to help Camden, NJ. Being from Philadelphia in real life, Bradley Cooper has to be very aware of what a horrible hellhole Camden is today.

Errichetti (who Polito was based on, and was far more of a criminal than Polito was shown to be) wasn't even the last corrupt Camden mayor! Arnold Webster ('93-'97) and Milton Milan, who replaced Webster until '00, were both convicted, along with Senator Wayne Bryant ('95-'08), who represented Camden's district and was "the king of double-dipping." Jesus christ, horrible hellhole is an understatement!

uublog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2013

• Locked thread