Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
I don't know why critics are fawning over this movie so much. Metacritic has American Hustle at 90 while Wolf of Wall Street is at 75 and even SA's own current releases mirrors that sentiment. I saw both movies within about 5 days of each other and Wolf was MUCH more entertaining. Hustle seemed to drag on and on with little happening while the three hour run time of Wolf went by in a flash. Looking back, I can't wait for Wolf to come out on DVD so I can watch it again while I have no urge to re-watch Hustle at all. Maybe it's an unfair comparison but I went into both films expect the same thing: a funny crime saga full of sex, drugs and money.

Maybe it's that expectation that was the problem. Hustle is more of a romantic dramedy (oh poo poo did I really just use that word?). There's a bit money, more sexuality than sex and pretty much no drugs. The whole crime element takes a back seat to relationships and it's more witty than funny. I was hoping for more interesting scenes but I ended up with a lot of talking that seemed to go nowhere. For a movie that involves con men working with the FBI to take down politicians, the hiccups in the main character's plans felt inconsequential and the big twist at the end was pretty small and cheap. A lot more could have been done with the plot but I felt like that was all scrapped for zany, improved dialogue. Said dialogue was definitely good but not so amazing that you could hang an entire movie on it. Pulp Fiction, a film with some of best dialogue I've ever heard still had to have a bunch of interesting stuff happen to make it all work.

There was some stuff I liked of course. Jennifer Lawrence was awesome as an evil bitch and any scene with Louis CK was hilarious. That's about it though.

Also, did anyone else notice the insane amount of cleavage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread