Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the film. It started pretty early on to feel like a Scorsese tribute (especially with the heavy voiceovers a la Goodfellas) but then it started to ape the feel a bit too much. The scene with DeNiro in particular was an example of this - not because of DeNiro's cameo (though I got the feeling the director told him to just do Jimmy Conway), but because Bale seems to be doing a DeNiro impersonation during parts of that scene. It's sad because Bale was otherwise pretty awesome.

The bit with Jennifer Lawrence doing "Live and Let Die" went on way too drat long, the audience got the point 5 seconds in and it seemed to last for a few minutes.

Amy Adams wasn't very good and someone kept giving her things to wear that I'm pretty sure people didn't wear in the '70s (at least according to my friend who remembers the '70s.)

I liked the film but I have a feeling that this isn't going to age well, and in a few years it will be forgotten.

Also I'm mad because I never got to hear the end of the ice fishing story.

VVVV - yes I get the whole "he's being brazen about the ice fishing story and the con" but I still want to know what happened :colbert:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Slackerish posted:

Jeremy Renner's character was pretty forgettable and while his performance was good it didn't match up to the "wacky very unsubtle satire"-esque poo poo that all the other actors are getting recognition for.

Does that say something good or bad about the other actors though? In some ways, I think the main cast was hamming it up a bit, and Renner was playing his role with a lot of sincerity. Just the scene where he finds out that he was betrayed - that wasn't overacting, he did an excellent job there. I would have preferred him nominated over Cooper.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If I left the film with any real positives it was my being impressed with Jennifer Lawrence. I hadn't really seen her in many films (well, Winter's Bone and First Class, I guess), just sorta knew her vaguely as the Hunger Games chick (and I haven't seen any of those movies). I think she did a great job with Rosalyn and despite some scenes where it maybe didn't work as well for me (Live and Let Die) for the most part I was very impressed.

She's legitimately a good actress, and a good reason why the Hunger Games movies are good. (Also Jeffrey Wright was in the last movie and I was :buddy: when I saw him.)

• Locked thread