Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I saw the movie on Christmas Eve and liked it. My main problem was I though the heavy handed setting of the movie really detracted from the story overall. Literally every second of the movie through music, set, dress, comb-over montages, sepia tone filters were constructed to rub just when the move was set. I mean it looked retro to us but the funny part is to the characters in the movie everything must have been brand new with a shiny 1978 price tag stuck on it. I felt like the setting was the joke, in whole, behind the movie and the characters were thus purely caricatures. I liked the story but it's hard to have a serious plot on the set of Happy Days.

If we look at movies from the era, which are extremely dated to 1970's New York, Dog Day Afternoon or Taxi Driver for instance, you notice that it's not 100% of everything that dates the era, they live in a world with things from the past, you can't set 100% of the world brand new to an era and make it relatable.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Maarak posted:

Some of this is based on a true story. The movie revels in artifice and misdirection. The production design isn't some amateur hour accident.

What do you mean by this? I understand the movie was stylized to look like a faux hyper-70's. I didn't like that.

bam thwok posted:

All that, plus a criminally underutilized De Niro. Felt like barely more than a cameo.

Well it was an uncredited cameo, I agree that it was a high point in the film.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.... bullshit" line of dialogue was horrible and was delivered horribly.

Illavick posted:

I don't know why critics are fawning over this movie so much.

I think it was a nice easy listening movie and good for the holiday season. It wasn't very challenging and had a bunch of flaws but I think it went down pretty smoothly.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 29, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

second-hand smegma posted:

Also, it's hilarious to me that people are calling I Heart Huckabees 'boring and pretentious' when it's basically a satire of people and schools of thought that are 'boring and pretentious'. Boy did you miss the boat on that one.

Yet somehow it managed to be boring and pretentious.

• Locked thread