Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've always been terribly bored by Jeremy Renner on screen. I'm really impressed that he was able to excel so well in a role that ideally would have been played by Joe Pesci thirty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

echoplex posted:

To me it feels like the film moves towards an "alls well that ends well" ending, and overall I'd have said the tone was lighter than it was darker purely for the comedy side of things. To me it doesn't really fit - it skews bleak in a way that is divorced from the rest of the film perhaps?
The movie ends with Richie ultimately being right. The world isn't run by Irvings, but it is run by worse people. That's the point of Irving's last interaction with Richie. The real crooks, the ones who really run things were not only not caught, but they never were even close to being caught.

Carmine and Irving are crooks out of necessity. They understand the world is corrupt, and they compromise themselves accordingly for the greater good (New Jersey; Irving's family). Richie on the other hand sees himself as a hero, clearly fighting for good. His assumptions about himself and who the FBI are allow him and other agents to just become a rival street gang. The attempted rape and the assault show that Richie is just a mentally broken and sad man looking to validate himself through whatever means. He just chose a badge instead of life of crime.

In the end, I don't think we really get a happy ending. Carmine's in jail with a ruined career. Irving's son is probably worse off than when the movie started as he splits his time with the Tellegio crime family. Sure Richie got his comeuppance, but his boss is still in charge. The movie ends with the notion that it's a lovely world defined by crime where nobody comes out uncompromised. I don't think it's a happy movie is what I'm saying.

• Locked thread