Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

10 years of being in alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have over a thousand hours in this game. there's games I paid twice as much for that I put down after a couple of hours and never touched again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a great game.

But it's also true that it's just kind of goofy that it's been in an unfortunately janky alpha state for ten goddamned years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Holy shitballs. I mean I've been enjoying the game since I bought it but I had no idea it's been in the works for a decade. Lots of fun and I don't regret it, just had no idea.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think they should had make a sequel when they decided to completely revamp the whole system and graphic. Some older stuff they took away was a different style of fun on its own.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nyaa posted:

I think they should had make a sequel when they decided to completely revamp the whole system and graphic. Some older stuff they took away was a different style of fun on its own.

Just shove out the game and immediately announce a sequel that was just the game with more updates? That would've been suicide.

Unless you mean just tacking on a 2 on the name of the existing game, lol.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got one, but it was taken after we'd collapsed the center tower.

Also bonus weirdness from another server:

Also, drat, look at this poo poo from 10 years ago. lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So i decided to start a non DF regular 7days run without creative mode on so I could experiance the game as it was intended. I did make it easier for me, higher xp gain and loot, zombies only walk normally, horde night jog, they do less damage to blocks but that's about it.

Pretty darn fun. I still die if i aggro too many or end up being caught in the corner. It is pretty agonizing how long it takes to get some skills, like i've been sitting around at 9 clubs and i need 10 to make a baseball bat, so i've been going through every POI in the town near where I set up camp trying to find crack a book boxes hoping for the magazine about clubs.

. I was struggling with arrows at first, but i keep finding iron heads so i have been able to make about 100 of them so far. I should put some skill points into archery because i assume that lets you recover more arrows?

I played until I got to my first horde night. Build what I've seen Neebs build, a cobblestone staircase with a hatch lid at the top to block the zombies that get to the top. Armed with a pipe pistol and MG i was ready. I realized I had way more time than I thought so I set up a bunch of wooden spikes up. I just build a forge but I didn't want to waste iron on building spikes I'll have to remove because I'll expand the base before day 14. I never used wooden before, with creative mode I'd just lay down iron and concrete, but the wood did the trick. They did break really quickly, but they thinned out the horde and slowed them down enough for them to take them out. Though i put them on each block leading up to where I am, and the zombies just attacked the stairs not tried to get up. I wonder if thats due to the spikes on the stairs, it told the zombies ai that the direct path to me was blocked so they attacked the bottom. I'll ignore the spikes for the next time.

The worst part is food. Holy poo poo i'm eating 10 grilled meat every 20 minutes, its brutal. Every food I find is instantly eaten. I only found out after I was playing that running drains your food. I figured it was like the other games where water is drained by running not food, which normally is consumed by healing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well we got a 'this year' at least.

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1752188081589874864

Of course, this is January...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bought this recently to play with some friends, and drat does it scratch an itch for me. It's the right combination of survival sim, looter, builder, but not too punishing with permadeath or nonsense like no maps or overly obnoxious inventory management.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1751277387965161675

I wonder if there will be any load-bearing drywalls.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Slow News Day posted:

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1751277387965161675

I wonder if there will be any load-bearing drywalls.

One of the funnier things I found at some point was a house that had been loaded up on a trailer to be moved to another location. Because I am a terrible person and just wanted to watch the digital world burn I broke like 8 steel blocks that made up the "jacks" and the house crumbled into rubble.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
these update tweets are embarrasing. there's so many total overhaul mods out there with so much more content but yeah the real game devs made one more POI, whoopie.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the overwhelming majority of players do not use any total overhaul mods, and I'd bet that even lightweight mod usage (like HUD stuff) is pretty minimal. Besides, they say they're releasing the console version this year, and I'm unsure if mods are available to console players at all.

Still, I wish they would focus on stuff like bandits. I think some kind of "intelligent" enemy that shoots back, takes cover, uses suppressing fire etc. would add tremendous depth to the game. Especially if you have regular bandit raids on your base where some bandits target you while others focus on wrecking your stuff and stealing poo poo from your chests etc. I might be describing a totally different game but a man can dream.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the POIs are the real meat of this game so as many as they want to add, that's great for me

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean, the issue is that once you clear a POI for the first time, subsequent clears feel extremely repetitive.

They should have come up with a POI randomization algorithm that dynamically builds POIs from small bits and pieces. Hell, they have so many now that they could probably utilize machine learning to make new POIs and then have their designers review them and make corrections.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am getting near the end of content from my SP run. The map I choose seems to be an older one so its missing a bunch of POIs i know from the default map, like there's no Crack a Book HQ or the Big Pharma company building. The towns are basically all shitballs and there's literally 1 crack a book on the map. I think it predates the A21 book changes so thats why its lacking book stores. Even the houses don't have a lot of book shelves. I only managed to max out my skills due to doing a circut every 5 days of the larger houses which had a decent number of bookshelves.

Also my Horde base seems really effective. Its just a staircase that leads to a line of blocks that are lined with blade traps and lead to a bunker with 2 layers of steel blocks and a cage on top. I haven't even been closed to killed why using it and I'm coming up to day 70. Even Bomb Guys aren't an issue. a clear line of fire with an m60 and the blade traps just shreds anything coming at me.

But yea, playing no cheat mode made me learn a lot about how the game works, and this really is one of the best survival crafting games out there. One of the big things I got into was using vehicles, because i could jsut hit H and fly around, i never bothered, but honestly, a motorbike is way better than that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The game is very easy and kind of boring in the default difficulty. I'd suggest increasing it to Warrior or above. Turning down loot abundance, and setting loot refresh to something more realistic like every 30 days, also makes a huge (IMHO positive) difference.

My default these days is Warrior at 50% loot, refreshing every 30 days. I also have the Harsher Death Penalties mod that retains debuffs (broken limbs, infection, etc.) after death, so I can't just cheese them out by committing suicide. This adds consequences to various gameplay decisions and also forces me to change priorities to address debuffs immediately as opposed to treating them as mere inconveniences. Totally changes the gameplay experience.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

these update tweets are embarrasing. there's so many total overhaul mods out there with so much more content but yeah the real game devs made one more POI, whoopie.

I really, really enjoy this game but their content/update production pace is pretty terrible, yeah.

I guess that's why it's still in a very rough alpha state after nearly a decade.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
excited to finally get bandits third half of 2025

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, Bandits will be pretty cool. I'm also intrested in this new armor system too. Though I'm worried it won't just be boosts, but you will need to have the right armor for what you're doing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Me and some friends are interested in picking this up again, any latest and greatest in overhaul mods? Ideally one with an ending?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

awouu

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1769191482114592806

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I hope this means Alpha 22 is soonish.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I hope this means Alpha 22 is soonish.

Theres a pic in that thread that implies console edition will be available by summer

e:
https://twitter.com/HogMafia81/status/1769196320877625660

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2312280/7_Days_Blood_Moons/

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1769425215086272654

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

huh

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
gently caress off with this poo poo. Even as much game as I’ve gotten out of 7D2D, I have no trust at all with that team with early access games.

Where’s our raiders? NPC’s? All we got this build is a new Dire Wolf??? And boy howdy, thanks for abandoning my console version somewhere in A16.

No, I’ll happily wait this one out.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the fun pimps

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I don't have a big urge to buy the game again, I already bought it, kind of baffling what the product actually is there

e: oh I see, you can pvp and play the zombie side, that's kind of interesting - not something I think I'd ever do these days but it's neat

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 18, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dalaram posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. Even as much game as I’ve gotten out of 7D2D, I have no trust at all with that team with early access games.

Where’s our raiders? NPC’s? All we got this build is a new Dire Wolf??? And boy howdy, thanks for abandoning my console version somewhere in A16.

No, I’ll happily wait this one out.

Hey you never know, maybe they will redo the skill system to be even more obtuse and grindy, maybe they realized air is too easy and make you start crafting gas masks and oxygen tanks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Their claim appears to be that they're not the primary devs and they just did some support work for the team actually making the game, but it's probably not a good look when peoples' immediate reaction to your new game reveal is angry cries of "finish the first game before trying to repackage and sell it" and forcing you into explanations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol at the literally infinite amount of time it is taking them to develop bandits

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Didn't see any activity recently in the logs so I reset the goon server last night.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol at the literally infinite amount of time it is taking them to develop bandits

I looked it up, bandits were supposed to be in a15, 8 years ago.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

These guys suck! Get the hell outta here, Fun Pimps!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Is this a Mandela thing? I swear I've seen players v player horde master concept before, but it never goes anywhere because the game flops or something.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

left 4 dead is the big one that launched the genre right? made by valve iirc

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

PowderKeg posted:

Didn't see any activity recently in the logs so I reset the goon server last night.

Aw man. I forgot to hit that recently. I was getting close to 100%ing skills.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Pander posted:

Aw man. I forgot to hit that recently. I was getting close to 100%ing skills.

I can put the old map back if needed. I just checked some random old log files and stats and didn't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

PowderKeg posted:

I can put the old map back if needed. I just checked some random old log files and stats and didn't see anything.
Yeah I took a month off, but before that I was working toward 100%ing all skills and gyrocoptering.

Although meh. Felt kinda empty after the first couple weeks since the last reset, I was probably the only one playing it. Need the new version to drive new interest probably.