Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
1. I will have added at least 10 buildings to my ranges of resin kits for sale, with at least 5 being from my new 15mm scale range.

2. I will finish writing down functional rules for Castle Valdemar, a dungeon crawl boardgame that is currently playable but in kind of a beta stage when it comes to polish. I will also make at least 1 additional map and at least 3 more encounters for it.

No promises on how I'm going to release it, or if, but it might be some kind of downloadable thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
1. As a GM run a glorious GURPs game which my group will talk about for years to come.
2. As a player, forge a weapon which will make the gods tremble with my new character.
3. Finish painting my backlog of minis.
4. Finish writing my first full length novel.
5. Have a good time.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Gaming
1. In general: run a game with the last RPG book I got, before buying a new system book.
2. Keep up with running my Dungeon World Pirates! game
3. Revive my hiatus-ed Team Rocket game
4. Bring my Trail of Cthulhu game to a satisfying close
5. Do write-ups for the most significant sessions in my games

Non-gaming
1. Work out three times a week
2. Drop ten pounds
3. Get my lifts to pre holiday levels, then get to 300 on deadlift and 200 on squats by the end of the year.
4. Get my paper published and begin looking for a job.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
1.) Complete The Ruined World, which is the setting/premade location book companion for Treasure Hunters.

2.) Complete the generic Circumstance System booklet, Base Circumstance.

3.) Create a new Circumstance System setting and setting-specific gimmick.

4.) Run an online game.

5.) Not drink more. (Drinking the about same is okay, though.)

Although I'd like to resolve to get the next Tale of Phantasmal Land done, I'm neither that bold nor confident

Buddha Fett
Apr 8, 2011
I resolve to
1) Actually finish the game I've been working on for the last 2 years
2) Post more often instead of not contributing to threads I like
3) Get back in college
4) Play something with my group besides Pathfinder for more than 2 sessions

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Game related:

1. Write and playtest the spy themed card game swirling in my head.

2. Run at least three one shots in the new year.

3. Play Mage Knight with others.

4. Play Twilight Struggle. (Related to 1.)

Non-gaming.

1. New Job.

2. Make a real career plan.

3. Make a budget and follow it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hope I'm doing this right. :ohdearsass:

• Continue running Fear of the Dark!
  • Write a game.
  • Do an LP.
  • Write something in Fatal&Friends.
  • Complete a TG Contest

• Buy a condo.
  • Go back to college.
  • See a shrink.
  • Continue losing weight, keep it off, and add go back to doing yoga.
  • Be sociable. Date.
  • Learn programming and release an app on Google Play.
  • Learn French. Complete Duolinguo.
  • Learn Chinese.
  • Write something.
  • Draw something.
  • Sleep.
  • Clean out my email box, and reorganize my online presence.
  • Get rid of this Avatar.
  • Make more lists.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 1, 2014

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I'm going to run a game that lasts longer than two sessions.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
  1. Stay on track in school.
  2. Get in shape.
  3. Decide to either quit my current home group (we just recently transitioned over to Pathfinder :suicide: [I'll give it a chance for now]) or try and convince people to use a different system, returning to the DM role if that's what it takes. Also do this without coming across as a dick about it.
  4. Regularly run one of the many non-mainstream games I own at my FLGS (multiple different one-shots and the like would also work).
  5. Complete an entry for one of the game design contests.
  6. Lurk less; post more.
  7. Play in an online game and be a proactive player.
  8. Revisit Stock Sharks—my only previous (and failed) contest entry—or get a considerable amount of work done on one of my other ideas.
  9. Stop drinking sugary drinks.
  10. Be a better player, GM, designer, and person.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
- Finish something. It really doesn't matter what, I just need to finish it (Goal: complete 2 things!)
- Participate and complete an entry for a TG contest.
- Maintain a RP group through an entire adventure...
- clean out my old gaming stash and sell unwanted minis/books/games.
- Write something and have it (brutally) critiqued by TGforums.
- Be more than satisfactory in school.
- Start and maintain an excersize regiment.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 21, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Out of the six or so games I've started here I only came close to finishing one BY GOD I'M GOING TO CHANGE THAT

Also, do better academically, eat better, quit being such a goonlord, fly a pony to the moon etc.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
- write this goddamn game that was originally (still is?) going to be an indy comic but now it's BPRD meets Golden Sky Stories and now Mikan has inspired me to put J-Pop Oberon in it and the goal is the be able to play the literal incarnation of cold and a skeleton librarian and be equally awesome.

- Join a TG contest and make it past the first phase

- stop being a horrible PbP flake.

- Finally get a lockdown on all my health issues that caused 2 and 3 to be problems.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
TG-related stuff first:
Oath at least one mini per month.
Play some Dungeon World, finally.

Non-TG related things:
Find a job I can stand, and soon.
Exercise more, eat less.
Read at least a book a week on average, and review some of them, around one a month.
Build some more things out of wood.
Do more DIY.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Day 1 trip report. So far, I'm hitting all the targets I set for myself.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TG goals

Run more Dungeon World.

Play some Dungeon World instead of just running it.

Stop sucking at Netrunner.

Pick up Sails of Glory and pretend to be Jack Aubrey.

Get around to starting the game/setting I want to write that's "1700s-1800s Royal Navy / Privateers but in airships" (fantasy setting, not alternate-earth - ie, no actual history involved but drawing on the general vibe of the era with the world being somewhat unexplored and mysterious and journeys to those places taking months/years).

Finish one of the 3 TG projects I already have going, at least to the point of being able to start playtesting.

Other goals

Finish my "long-term" weight loss goal (92-93kg) for the megathread in YLLS.

Get as much stronger as I can manage, or in other words, maintain my fitness program.

Place in the top 3 in a BJJ comp (in weight/age/belt class) while winning at least one fight in that comp (default doesn't count!)

Do more sword training, even if it's just synthetic training swords.

Go camping/hiking more.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 2, 2014

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

TG Goals

• Finish the Cortex+ version of Virtuemancy, and post progress in a thread on here (need a print version of the Hacker's Guide first, but I'll print that out if needed).

• Run more events with my college's gaming club. Making one of the events the Mystic Empyrean campaign I started last semester

• Submit ERAUGH! to game publishers to see if I can get it published.

Non-TG Goals

• Get GF and I started on Starting Strength. I had to stop due to injury and no access to equipment, but we're going to give it a run starting January 21st.

• Keep that GPA up, drat it! 3.75 or higher!

• Start up that Saints Row IV LP that I captured footage for last year. I figured it would be a way to practice video editing and production.

• Keep my podcast a-going, and get more of my comedy troupe's material into the hands of our fans.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

TG Goals

1) Paint a lot more minis
2) Buy less minis
3) Get a regular gaming night going

Real Life Goals

1) Buy a house
2) Write some short stories/scripts

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

TG goals

Get around to starting the game/setting I want to write that's "1700s-1800s Royal Navy / Privateers but in airships" (fantasy setting, not alternate-earth - ie, no actual history involved but drawing on the general vibe of the era with the world being somewhat unexplored and mysterious and journeys to those places taking months/years).

When it's ready to go I am so in for that!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

In 2015 I want to:

-Still be GM'ing for Dresden Files
-Still be playing a bunch of Exalted
-Still be working no matter how much I hate my job
-Still be going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and looking like I have been

But those are maintaining stuff from 2013. As far as new things I want to:

-Get married (after 5+ years of being engaged)
-Get Gold on Summoner's Rift in League of Legends
-Finish a novel and start shopping it to publishers
-Get a lot of dental work I've been putting off taken care of
-Visit the family at least once (other side of the country)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When it's ready to go I am so in for that!

Thanks, but that's going to be the hardest thing on the list, given the various things I know I don't want to do with it (like whitewashed colonialism or steampunk).

vvvvv I'll post in the setting thread in the next few days, this isn't the thread to discuss it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 4, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks, but that's going to be the hardest thing on the list, given the various things I know I don't want to do with it (like whitewashed colonialism or steampunk).

Go Pirates of the Caribbean meets Eberron. Everything is explicitly magical, and you can flavor the pirates as maybe Sky-Nautical Freedom fighters (making the anti-colonial Navy ethos of Pirates more of a central conflict?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For Serious: Actually finish one of the stack of personal projects I've got sitting around and actually get it published, or at least out to the public at large.

For Semi-serious: Finally paint at least one of my drat Reaper Bones minis.

e: Also:

Finish (or at least continue) the Torg write-up in F&F.
Write at least one setting primer.
Get back into coding, maybe make a character creator or something.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 4, 2014

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I'd simply like to get back on the rpg-horse to some kind of extent (and bring my kids into the mix as well as they are both glorious, little nerds).

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I swear I'll actually play all those boardgames I bought.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I will

[list]
[*]Run or play a *World game without bitching

Invite me or suffer retribution. I should run another SW playtest this spring. Which leads right into...

* Finish and publish my big project.
* Finish one of my minor AW hacks.
* Three short stories and at least one submission.

edit.
* Paint and play with some of my miniatures backlog.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin posted:

1. Write another novel

2. Kickstart Advanced Retrocausality and get that out

3. Shoot a short film some friends and I have been talking about but haven't done

4. Get more stuff published

2-4 got replaced with Breakfast Cult but my $15,000 funded Kickstarter says that was the right move. How about you dorks? :toot:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

• I will finalize and publish at least three games or game-related products of significant size, by which I mean "not Dungeon World Playbooks and other tiny-rear end crap." Supplements, board games or full games.
  • I will run C25K again, to completion, before half of the year is over, and then at least maintain that level of jog (doctors permitting, because heart issues are poo poo on top of poop).
  • I will write a full story to completion. Novella plus.
  • I will paint one hundred models.
  • I will make a thousand+ dollars from doing all of the above.

We'll see how it goes.

In order:
  • Did two, not three. Mounted Combat and 100 Dungeons Deluxe are both decently beefy, but I didn't get to finish a game.
  • Doctor told me to stop after I microfractured both of my legs, and also to never run it again because I'm old or something.
  • I did write a story. In Icelandic.
  • I painted about fifty? The last four months have been stupid in terms of me being able to sit down and do anything that needs more than half an hour of attention. Halfway, though.
  • Oh man I made way more than a thousand. Still not a living.

Who knows, maybe I'll keep the same list. I at least made progress and attempted every single thing on my list.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

1. I have written one story, this year I am gonna write more. My goal is 10 but I would be fine if I manage 5.
2. I am going to finally take my driver's test and be a fully-accredited menace on the roads.
3. At long last I am going to get into decent shape. I will get under 100kg, I will put on muscle mass, and I will have all the stamina and trim waistlines I can handle.
4. I am going to earn, some way or another, a minimum of one thousand British pounds through my writing by the end of the year.

I look forward to failing each and every one of these :v:

To think that I knew me so well that I'd accurately predict I'd gently caress up. But let's see how I hosed up!

1. I tried to write too many at once and as a result, finished none of them. This year I am going to work on them one at a time like a sane person.
2. Reasonably good at driving, have yet to pass the test. Should be good to do so in a couple of months, though.
3. Couldn't lose the last few kilograms which would have put me under 100kg, but I'm almost there. Just need to stay away from the junk food for a while.
4. I barely got a fourth of the way there. I guess my self-promotion skills are weak as gently caress. Didn't help that my output was bad this year, either (see point one).

I guess my resolutions for this year should probably be... the exact same? Since I didn't complete any of them satisfactorily.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

1. Finish six pet projects. (The same resolution I've made every year since about 2007. I've managed it... once.)
2. Get back on the fitness wagon and try not to fall off again.
3. Pass my driving test and become a fully-accredited etc. etc.
4. Buy a house.

Let's see...

1. I think I managed... three? Plus one which got pushed back to Jan by life events.
2. Got back on, then fell off around May, due to the same life events.
3. Yes! Licence and car acquired!
4. Yes! Starter flat acquired and 90% painted!

I also managed my super secret bonus goal, which was to knock up my wife. We're in the maternity ward right now, and the midwife just came in to tell us the induction is go! (I am making GBS threads bricks. :derp:)

This is the life event that slightly derailed everything else, by the way. Turns out buying a house while your wife is six months pregnant eats up a lot of time! :v:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dagon posted:

Keeping it simple, my TG resolutions are to clear my plate in 2014:
  • Paint all unpainted miniatures (4 tanks, 3 walkers, ~150 infantry, all 28mmish) - not including incoming Bones 2
  • Finish all semi-complete rpg projects (Quest of the Wizards 2nd Edition, 100 Dungeons Deluxe, List Compendium vols 2 and 3)

Hahahaha

I got one of those things done!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

A mixture of goals:
  • Consolidate and write up my transhuman fantasy Fate hack.
  • Run said hack with my TG group, and/or run Eclipse Phase.
  • Keep the grognard in my group from being a lousy storyteller/rear end.
  • Make sure my group reads the rules of any game we're playing.
  • Keep my group from playing CthulhuTech. (I loving wish I was kidding.)
  • Do that Metroid Prime LP I've been meaning to.
  • Graduate.
  • Learn to whistle.
Half my goals ain't bad!
1. Hasn't happened, though some of the Evil Hat stuff should provide inspiration in the future.
2. Currently running Eclipse Phase!
3. Generally so. (I managed this primarily by keeping him away from the GM's seat.)
4. I would like to say that I accomplished this, but during one of the campaigns the GM had no drat clue how his own game worked. (He's...bad at that.)
5. Voted down everytime it came up! :toot:
6. Not quite.
7. :toot:
8. Still haven't.

Funny enough though, bonus goal #9 (ie, run an ongoing game of Black Crusade after constructing a player group ex nihilo) has been quite successful.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

1. Stay on track in school.
  2. Get in shape.
  3. Decide to either quit my current home group (we just recently transitioned over to Pathfinder :suicide: [I'll give it a chance for now]) or try and convince people to use a different system, returning to the DM role if that's what it takes. Also do this without coming across as a dick about it.
  4. Regularly run one of the many non-mainstream games I own at my FLGS (multiple different one-shots and the like would also work).
  5. Complete an entry for one of the game design contests.
  6. Lurk less; post more.
  7. Play in an online game and be a proactive player.
  8. Revisit Stock Sharks—my only previous (and failed) contest entry—or get a considerable amount of work done on one of my other ideas.
  9. Stop drinking sugary drinks.
  10. Be a better player, GM, designer, and person.
Let's see how I stacked up:
  1. Looks like I'm going to graduate this year, even after I decided to upgrade my minor to a second major. :toot:
  2. I stuck with this for a couple months and then fell off the horse. I'm not (and wasn't) overweight, but I would like to get into athletic shape again. I actually might be taking a running course as part of my academic schedule this semester, so having some built-in exercise time should be good for this re-resolution.
  3. I think I ended up going to maybe 3 or 4 sessions of Pathfinder in total before the group just kind of slowly died off, so mission accomplished, I guess? :unsmith:
  4. I'm pretty sure I failed at this. Haven't run anything consistently in quite some time, since commitments prevented me from participating in my regular Tuesday group over the summer and fall. I did run a relatively recent playtest of Twice as Bright, my entry for the April One-Page RPG Design Contest, which was one of the winners that month. But I don't think I've run too many other things than that, so the alternate objective is also out.
  5. See above. :toot:
  6. Nope.
  7. Hah!
  8. Didn't touch Stock Sharks; made some progress on other game ideas, but not what I'd call a "considerable amount", although I guess Twice as Bright might count?
  9. I believe I've limited my intake a bit, but ultimately failed here. I've got a good reusable water bottle now, so that should help in reattempting this goal.
    • Player? :iiam:
    • GM? Same.
    • Designer? A definite maybe.
    • Person? I think I've made some strides here, but there's always more room to grow.
20% ain't half bad. :smuggo:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Libertad! posted:

1. Get those ideas out of my head and publish a few RPG books for Pathfinder RPG and probably some other retroclones. And find a good artist so all my stuff won't be old-rear end Open Source stuff.
2. Sign up for Roll20 and start playing some drat games! Physical distance becomes a non-issue this way.
3. Start dating. Successfully.
4. Start learning Spanish.
5. Learn to draw.

1. Done, except that I relied on stock art for my last 6 books. The art was good, so that's a victory in my book.

2. Done. It's now my primary source of table-top games.

As for 3-5, I learned pretty early around mid-2014 that I can multi-task only to a certain extent. I had my hands full with my day job, planning weekly games for GMing Roll20, and writing for work projects that adding anything else to the pile would only make everything else suffer. I still want to date, draw, and learn Spanish, though; it's just that I feel too busy to do more stuff.

So 40%. Not bad at all.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 1, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I will

• Run or play a *World game without bitching
  • Complete two TG Contest entries including at least one narrativist style one.
  • Not participate in any non-Goon related KS (my wallet is screaming from this year)

Failed all three miserably!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bucnasti posted:

This year I resolve to:

• Complete and Kickstart Spirit of 77
  • Complete my side project Strange Tales of the Galactic Legion
  • Paint all my remaining Reaper Bones before the next set is delivered

#1 was a success, but it pretty much made #2 and #3 impossible. So I got that going for me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kwyndig posted:

• Finish at least one of these trad games related projects I started or worked on over the past year.
  • Keep a PBP game running for at least six months.
  • Finish (play to end credits) at least 12 of these drat video games in my backlog.
  • Write something that isn't a game or a supplement for a game.

Well, thanks to a starting midyear obsession with Final Fantasy XIV I got none of these done. Go me!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

BrainParasite posted:

Game related:

1. Write and playtest the spy themed card game swirling in my head.

2. Run at least three one shots in the new year.

3. Play Mage Knight with others.

4. Play Twilight Struggle. (Related to 1.)

Non-gaming.

1. New Job.

2. Make a real career plan.

3. Make a budget and follow it.

Well, I played Twilight Struggle. Oh well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

TG-related stuff first:
Oath at least one mini per month.
Play some Dungeon World, finally.

Non-TG related things:
Find a job I can stand, and soon.
Exercise more, eat less.
Read at least a book a week on average, and review some of them, around one a month.
Build some more things out of wood.
Do more DIY.

1: Went a bit south after the wedding, still not picked it back up yet.
2: Did try it out, want to play it more.
3: Finally successful, a month ago.
4: Broadly successful but again went a bit south after the wedding.
5: Read more, but didn't write reviews.
6/7: Broadly successful.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This year's is here, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Asymmetrikon posted:

1) Finish grad school