Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

kizeesh posted:

What I need from you guys

How does this come across?
The original pilot came across as being unclear, dull looking, and lacking in clear direction. Hopefully this is better, but I'd really like to know what people think.

Does it look funny?
Does it look cheap or half decent (considering we had zero budget)
Do the characters clearly come across?
Does this trailer make sense?

and the most important question: On the basis of this trailer, would you actually watch it, and potentially recommend it?

We've still got 2 months to iron out any final kinks, and several planned days during then for potential pick-up/re-shoots, so any info you can give will be not only greatly received but likely implemented!

The quality looks good. It's the jokes I'm struggling with.

If we take the 1st episode, the guys just aren't OTT enough. Guy is a bit blokey and likes to shag around - is a thing. It's when you take it to a an unreal extreme that it becomes funny, and a lot of the time you fall short of that.

For a moment I thought the beardy bloke in that scene had just popped the top off his beer then casually chewed it and swallowed it and that would have been a bigger laugh than anything in the scene. It's the same with the Santa thing - 11 and 13 don't feel like too ridiculous ages to have found out Santa wasn't real. If the first thing they said was eighteen, and she said, no, it was fourteen because that was the year they put tampons and a pamphlet about STDs in my stocking - that kind of elevates it.

I feel like right now it's tending towards a bit too naturalist to be funny. The chuckle brothers thing could have been bigger, more animated, do their stupid accents or something.

I watched through a bit more and really feel this is the main issue throughout - sitcoms, especially in such a short format, need strong, powerful, characters, most of whom are fine being one or two dimensional, because we don't got time for anything else. There are loads of places where a joke really could work but it just needs to be kicked up a knotch into absurdity or audacity.

Right now, I do feel like this could just be a group of mates at my old pub - but I don't want to watch real people's conversations and lives in this format. I really do feel that webseries characters have gotta be basically cartoons.

What that does mean is that obviously you have camera and set quality down, there is chemistry in the group and all the realism you could need - just push things more.

Other note:

Don't massively like the title sequence. Too long for the length of the show, and it kinda makes it seem like Metalhedz are people who wear clothes like this as opposed to a subculture that's in any way about music or other things.

But yeah, buy in to these characters. If beardy is gross, make him uber gross. If Ginger is a shot-down, thinks-he's-sly motherfucker, make it so. If Tiny Lesbian fancies straight girl, she has a secret stalker shrine in her bedroom with candles and poo poo and will secretly plot to destroy men who aim to get close to her.

Cartoon characters, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread