Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

That's the idea, each one of them is dressed in a particular style of alt/rock/metal styles. It makes it easy to tell them apart, which was one of the major complaints against the original pilot. Everyone looked too similar and were all dressed in black. So, we're pretty much damned whatever we do there.

This is one of the points we've seen come up from a few areas, so you're not alone in this. It really seems to depend what people expect from the show. The byline of the series is "The Alternative Crowd really aren't all that different". Which was our plan. It's not a show looking at metalheads and rockers and saying: look at the silly people, lets mock them and their ways a'la the sort of humour in Big Bang Theory, which is essentially mocking nerds while pretending they are the heroes. We utterly wanted to avoid that, instead this is more like the Inbetweeners, which is about a bunch of high school boys, but spends almost no time focused on schoolwork.

In the end, it's a fine line, too many references or jokes specifically about metal and you put off or alienate other viewers. We felt that showing the lifestyles and using it as an aesthetic should have been enough. (Considering half the cast are metalheads anyway, and it was written by one, it's not like it's inaccurate to the scene.)

As I said, we went with metalheads because it's a scene we are a part of, and so we wrote about it. True the characters are not specifically metalheads only, but metalhedz was a better title than Alternativez! So there you go. As to the spelling, brand recognition, we needed the name to stick out and be unique on google. I hate to pull the marketing card but.. there you go!

Like everyone in this thread keeps telling you, you are not pulling off this concept. Stop handwaving around this criticism, it's major and important. The failure is right in your byline. People who are alt culture are into alt culture because they like to think they ARE different. People who are turned off by alt culture aren't clicking on a show called "Metalheadz" anyway. I don't know who you think you're alienating by focusing on the one thing that makes your sitcom stand out from every other "schmucks in a pub" show.

Decide on your audience and commit to your concept. If you're passionate about metal, that passion absolutely does not show in your series. If you're not, rethink your concept and go with your passion. If you call your show "Metalheadz", people probably expect metal, metal references and some self-aware humor. Metal is loud and brash and brutal and technical and cerebral, and not a single one of these adjectives apply to what you're doing.

What are your influences, what do you like to watch? When I think "metal sitcom" I picture The Young Ones, Bottom, Jam, Nathan Barley and Dethklok. Have you seen these shows? What do you think?

Your show is not terrible. Your writing is not terrible. You need to work on direction, and good lord please get some lights on your actors, but really none of this is worth fixing without really going back and rethinking your concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

I've said various times now that WE ACCEPT THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THIS!! I'm not sure what I can possibly say to make this clearer, I'm not handwaving or avoiding it, I've accepted it and pointed out that we've already finished shooting, and aren't going to rebrand the show mid-season! I'm starting to feel like folks who don't like the name and concept aren't going to be happy unless I say, "OK we'll pull the show and spend another year rebranding it." Seriously, this point has now been made abundantly clear. Not a lot can be done about this aspect at this stage! I'm not shouting here, or angry, I'm just kind-off feeling like I'm beating my head off a wall trying to tell people that we get there is an issue.
We were concerned with alienating non-metal fans by loading the show with obscure references, or alternatively alienating metal fans by making a show that insulted them by playing solely to dull tired stereotypes. As I said before. That was our thought process. It quite evidently isn't working for everyone, and this is why we want feedback! But scrap it and start again, isn't an option at this point.

Just to be clear, you absolutely do have options here.

You would lose nothing in a soft rebrand, and potentially gain a real audience. Your work so far is valuable and salvageable, but the name, branding and opening sequence is problematic enough that you're not giving that work a chance to succeed on its own merits.

This is not a situation where you have a huge marketing push that would go to waste with a re-brand. I don't even understand what you mean by mid-season, you are releasing this on youtube on a schedule you defined. You're not beholden to a network or sponsors. You're continuing to make a conscious choice to stick with branding that you yourself acknowledge does not work. Have you noticed what happens when you google the name of the series? What are you really losing by switching to something better?

I wouldn't give you the feedback if I thought there was nothing you could do about it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Well, I'm confused then.

If you reached your viewership goals, you're happy with the response and you don't want to change the show then what is the point of this thread? You keep saying you're not brushing off our ideas but every single response you've posted in this thread is a defense and justification of why you have to do things the way you're already doing them.

edit: I just want to point out in clear words that you're dismissing the fact that you have named your internet web video show with a word that is currently unsearchable with google. I honestly don't understand what could possibly justify not changing this. If you're excited about 1500 views per episode, think how many you could have if people could actually FIND YOUR SHOW BY SEARCHING THE INTERNET FOR IT.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 12, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

All feedback is truly very gladly received and as ever I'll try to directly address any particular choices we made. (Which really shouldn't be read as defensiveness or anger, it's just an insight into why we did what we did!)

If you have to keep putting exclaimers on your posts explaining that you're not being defensive, you need to look at why your behavior is being perceived as defensive. You've made it clear that you don't think you have the power, money or interest to change anything substantial about the series. I'm still really not sure what the point of this thread is unless you're just fishing for unique visitors.

Nobody is giving you feedback because they're interested in why you made the choices you made, they're giving you feedback because you asked for it. Turns out, most people in this thread think you made very bad choices around some core elements of your show. I'm sorry that makes you feel bad, but instead of defending your bad choices, why not talk about ways to actually address some of the problems we're bringing up?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

Try Googling "Metalhedz". That problem is now fixed, in large part to the feedback from this thread. No, I'm not looking for hits here, we're doing good for uniques, but I'm getting lengthy and detailed thoughts from people here, which is invaluable to the show's potential future.

No, it's not.

What do you think you did to fix it?

Are you going to address any of the issues anyone brought up in this thread for season 2? If so, how?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

I'll feed it up the chain though. It's not our greatest concern at the moment. Google isn't our main method of PR and media marketing.

You don't think it's particularly important that you can't find the name of your online series with a google search? What exactly is your main method of PR and media marketing?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kizeesh posted:

With the best will in the world dude, none of this is feedback for the show. You've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about this aspect of things, but it's not something I want to take up time and energy debating with people outside of the production.

Leave that side of stuff up to us, I'd rather know people's thoughts on the content of the show.

Who is going to be watching your show if they can't find it? Why does the content matter if your project is a dead end because you don't have the balls to change the stupid name?

Do you really want to continue spending time and energy creating a project that is inarguably hamstrung by a name and theme that don't work? I want to post your answer to this again so you can read it:

quote:

Yep, I understood perfectly well. It's unfortunate, but I don't think we're going to make our fortunes off this show. So instead of spending lots of money, time and effort rebranding a show which is already on the go, we'll save our time and efforts for other creative outlets, like planning and writing season 2, and maybe plough the money for website domains, etc. into promoting tweets and facebook ads.

Read this again. Have you ever heard the phrase "throwing good money after bad?" In your first sentence, you acknowledge that the issues we're talking about are a serious limiting factor in the success of the project. By the last sentence, you're telling us that instead of using resources to fix the problem, you're going to spend resources on tweets and facebook ads to build the brand you acknowledge has fundamental issues.

I think there's some other reason you won't change the name. Either you don't feel like you have enough influence within the group to affect change, or you have some other attachment you're not telling us. You don't seem like a stupid person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The only other appropriate feedback is quit. Continuing to work on an internet series when the name is unsearchable is a huge waste of time no matter how good or bad it is.

• Locked thread