Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
What kills me is that the U.S. servers, while being less populated, would've only been an issue until the new people started leveling up. Games were easy to find at low levels (like within a minute), and the game was magnificently playable. As my earlier posts show, I went from around a 1.2 kdr to averaging like 4.5-5 a match, even against players around the same level.
When they first went down there was a 2 or 3 day period with VG claiming they were still up despite not a single US player having a ping lower than like 110, then after a huge amount of disbelief they admitted they'd taken them down due to low population, but the U.S. servers were 100% going to be back on the release of 0.27 (or was it 0.28? Whatever the current one is). That came and went, with the description changing to 0.27x so the devs could append "oh we meant 0.27f" when people would complain.

I knew this game was going to have it's issues, but I had higher hopes than this. Just something playable that doesn't crash too much and has a small but dedicated playerbase. The open world aspect definitely seemed like a pipe dream, so I was content with the PvP and it's excellent sound and tactics.
Whereas VG wanted a huge moneymaker with large tournaments, leagues, clan battles, and a magic ongoing semi-persistent open world. Like, everything they've focused on has been almost mutually exclusive to what was originally stated as the goal. Why do we have a crazy league system that's dead? What was the point of changing how the leaderboards worked multiple times, each time making it less and less useful (basing it solely on playtime and nothing else is totally how a scoreboard should work in a competitive FPS).

The thread title is definitely way more appropriate than I originally realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm still low level, but is the SR3M any good? By the numbers, it looks good.

Do the maps open up more as you level up? All the ones I've played so far, I can navigate pretty well without opening myself up for snipers.

Is the Makarov or the TT-33 generally better? They seem about equal, so I'm inclined to choose the makarov to get more ammo for my Kiparis. Or does that even work? I haven't tried it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm still low level, but is the SR3M any good? By the numbers, it looks good.

Do the maps open up more as you level up? All the ones I've played so far, I can navigate pretty well without opening myself up for snipers.

Is the Makarov or the TT-33 generally better? They seem about equal, so I'm inclined to choose the makarov to get more ammo for my Kiparis. Or does that even work? I haven't tried it.

SR3M rocks, don't carry a secondary cause they're pointless outside of shotguns. You'll do much better by carrying just the SR3M and running a bit faster.

There's only the maps you've already played.

I stopped playing until they fix their poo poo up. Like that will happen at this point Didn't play for a couple weeks, came back to it and realized just how ridiculously janky this game is.

E: Are you sure you're talking about the drop/premium SR3M or are you talking about the SR-2 smg?

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 27, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Talking about the drop one. I guess that one only has 20 rounds? That kind of sucks, but it looks like all the high-end SMGs do too.

Do you mean there are secondary shotguns, or do you mean carry a Python with your shotgun so that you have an alternative for longer ranges?

Should I be hopping factions to get low-tier gear I want and then start going for the high tier, or should I just go straight up one tree?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
High-tier without at least premium is a bitch and a half to get, so if you find a faction you like just grind it forever.

The drop one is an AR, not SMG. It will wreck poo poo up into t10 easily.

And no, I mean the actual sawn-off shotgun for a secondary. Otherwise, just carry a primary and if you want two guns, get the Terminator perk (bottom of combat skill tree) and carry two normal guns. Pistols aren't worth dick unless you're still nanosweatering it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nanosweater? You mean they never fixed that glitch I read about where the starter sweater has massive damage reduction?

Welp, gently caress this quilted poo poo.

Also, totally going up black market after I get the Kiparis for a backup sawed-off.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not just the sweaters, it's just that anyone that joins gets insane damage reduction/armor piercing for some ridiculous stretch. Last I played there were nano's with t4 gear on. Might have fixed it over the last week (lol) but they weren't fixed before.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. I'm not sure if that's still a thing. I seem to be dropping people in a reasonable number of bullets, and once I put on armor, Mosins stopped one-shotting me. But it could be that the effects just balance each other out when both people have the newbie boosts.

edit: It's definitely a thing. People in sweaters were taking 10 Kiparis shots and I was dying in one Mosin shot constantly.

I keep losing money using the Kiparis. Is there a different modifier for silver for wins and losses?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 28, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

It's not just the sweaters, it's just that anyone that joins gets insane damage reduction/armor piercing for some ridiculous stretch.

Pretty sure it has something to do with player level.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe, but I'm thinking it's a timer. The night I started playing, I was surviving mosin hits with <9% health once I got armor. Then I didn't play the next day. The day after that, I'm getting one-shot anywhere on the body by mosins, using 10 rounds to kill one sweaterman, and even dying to a single chest hit from a Winchester.

Do the shotgun patterns not fill the crosshairs? I mean, if you shoot at someone relatively close, but who isn't filling the reticle, can the entire spread just go off into the corner of the crosshairs and do nothing? I had a few times with the sawn off yesterday where I didn't get a hit marker from under 10ft.

Do oxygen tanks reduce damage from anomalies? I really like having enough isolation to go past or destroy an anomaly with minimal damage, but I also need more armor.

How do I activate artifacts?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe, but I'm thinking it's a timer. The night I started playing, I was surviving mosin hits with <9% health once I got armor. Then I didn't play the next day. The day after that, I'm getting one-shot anywhere on the body by mosins, using 10 rounds to kill one sweaterman, and even dying to a single chest hit from a Winchester.

Do the shotgun patterns not fill the crosshairs? I mean, if you shoot at someone relatively close, but who isn't filling the reticle, can the entire spread just go off into the corner of the crosshairs and do nothing? I had a few times with the sawn off yesterday where I didn't get a hit marker from under 10ft.

Do oxygen tanks reduce damage from anomalies? I really like having enough isolation to go past or destroy an anomaly with minimal damage, but I also need more armor.

How do I activate artifacts?

The shotgun pattern centers its spread on a random point inside that crosshair - that is to say your spray does not fill the crosshair, rather it picks a random point inside that area, and creates a generic random spray around it, which can lead to some very janky misses if the point chosen happens to not align with your enemy.

Oxy tanks reduce damage drastically from MOST sources - notable exceptions are stuff that you stand in, like poisonous water and fire. They are an easy way to up your anomaly survivability at the cost of some weight and your back slot.

Once you pick up an artifact, the slot it is in will show at bottom, along with the corresponding number to activate it. They also all have a passive ability which is always enabled.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I've been largely enjoying this, although I really can't wait until I can get an AR and have something to use at range that isn't the mosin. Every single FPS I've ever played, I have been godawful with any bolt-action rifle. Do you even lead in this game, or is it hitscan? One more rank to the SOK-94, then one past that to the AKM.

I'm probably going to hold on to the Kiparis that I got with +15 reload and +10 RoF, but that really starts to have trouble past 30 yards or so.

Or maybe I'll start running a shotgun in my second slot. Is it worth it to carry a box of slugs, or is the accuracy just too low? It seems like it would be too low.

I'd also really love it if I could play at a time where there were more than a thousand people, so I didn't get thrown into a T8 match every 4-5 times. But I pretty much only get the chance to play in the evening or on weekends.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
1000 is about as much as you'll get at any time.

Slugs are great on the late-game weapons like the Saiga, not too good on the sawn-off, are actually decent on the over and under shotgun, but you can only carry that as a secondary once you have Terminator.

Oh and wait till you get the AKM and start getting thrown against tier 10's in full pilgrim/zubr with VSS's, Saigas, and all that other fun poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When I play, the population is generally under 500. I already have faced people with 9A-91s, ash-12s, saigas, and heavy enough armor that it takes both barrels to the back to kill them.

I really wish I would have had time to play this game between when open beta started and when they ran this game into the ground.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I play, the population is generally under 500. I already have faced people with 9A-91s, ash-12s, saigas, and heavy enough armor that it takes both barrels to the back to kill them.

I really wish I would have had time to play this game between when open beta started and when they ran this game into the ground.

You're right. the two weeks we had NA servers were great. Except for the whole 20+ minute waits between rounds and a host of other bullshit

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

You're right. the two weeks we had NA servers were great. Except for the whole 20+ minute waits between rounds and a host of other bullshit

Next update will be re-introducing NA apparently. Also, apparently the quality of players in ranked games went down dramatically when I stopped playing, because I was in Researcher's League, stopped playing for a bit, and just came back to get rewarded the Orange MP7 from the Master League.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wasn't playing then, but didn't they say NA servers would come back in the last patch? I would love to combine my new widescreen monitor with a low ping, considering I'm already in the top 2 most games (except a couple maps I suck at), but I'll believe it when the servers are up.

Do you ever get more reputation for higher tier games, or a penalty for seal clubbing? If not, I'll be sitting in the NA queues with my kiparis and mosin for a week or so until people get up to 4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is a doublepost, but it has been almost two weeks.

Is there any trick to making the AKM sights not suck? I turned off the hit indicator, which sucks but made my shooting a little better. I'm beelining for the VEPR rifle, but that's a long way from here.

I also picked up the SPAS-12, which is really nice at close range. Few people have enough armor to survive one shot at this level, but I tend to double tap just in case.

I just wish I could get a 4th item spot with this military vest on. I miss having two medkits, a grenade, and a trap.

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
The new .29 update is something ive been enjoying so much. between RGO grenades, the T5 valmut AR, and claymores. I'm making multiple hackusations per day and its awesome

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do claymores compare against bear traps? I haven't played in a couple weeks. Did they add US servers or push those back again?

E: How is the valmet? The sights looked lovely from the preview.

They added US servers! :dong:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 22, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do claymores compare against bear traps? I haven't played in a couple weeks. Did they add US servers or push those back again?

E: How is the valmet? The sights looked lovely from the preview.

They added US servers! :dong:

Valmet is an AKM with less rattle and 50 more rounds per minute at rank 5. It owns, probably a little too much. Claymores have much more damage than new beartraps (beartraps can't kill in one hit anymore), but only activate from the front. It WILL activate from farther out than the Bettys and the beartraps, though, so that means it's easier to hide them around corners.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Have they fixed the US servers having bugged post match loot yet

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How are the sights on the valmet? I would really like something with better sights than the AKM, and if it is kinder with the recoil, that's just a bonus. I was going to beeline to Fringe Settlers 7 for the VEPR rifle, but if I can get something better than the AKM to do it with, I don't mind the detour. What tiers are the US queues heavy on right now? I wouldn't mind doing some more Kiparis/Mosin if that's where the quick games are now.

This is the first game where bolt guns clicked for me. I was terrible with them in all of the CODs, I was barely even decent camping with the AWP in counterstrike.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Babby's first q!=e.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
The game seems to have some performance issues. I used to be able to play without difficulty, but since the update, frame rates collapse every time I fire and there's an enemy around (which of course there would be if I'm firing). My last few rounds have been 1 kills to 10+ deaths and similar. Basically the game is unplayable now.

Video card is a GTX 650. Certainly not great, but it should be adequate.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

They made a ton of changes to how their foliage renders, so that may be causing issues. You aren't the only one, a couple of us were having similar issues, and with even more robust/up to date cards. Might be a driver issue, but we sent in support tickets about it, so if we hear something from the devs about it (either by mail or the dev posts), we can post it here. WRT the Valmet sights, they aren't too bad. I feel like they are better for longer ranges than the AKM's were, but still nothing I'd use up close. Pretty much all the sights are bad up close, anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Pretty much all the sights are bad up close, anyway.

Kiparis :ussr:

Seriously, though. Even at close ranges, aiming in improves your hit rate so much. The only time I don't bother is when I come around a corner and am basically touching someone with my sawn-off out. Or relatively close with my Spas, but I haven't used that much.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

New Survarium summer event is going on; play games, get Comrade Coins to play the roulette wheel. 10 sets of items, redeemable once (they'll be taken out of the pool of other prizes, so you can theoretically get everything). There's a gun and an armor bundle, so I grabbed screenshots of those for anyone interested in free t9 and t10 loot. Gun is called 'Dusk', and it's a reskin of a Vychlop, with predetermined stats; the armor is called the Armor Of the Sun, same deal with predetermined stats (I have no idea what it's based on, the highest I get is t7).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool. Just wins, or losses too?

Now that they have added like five more guns, I'm not sure what tree I want to go down. I'm leaning towards scavenger, because their armor seems to emphasize item and pocket slots. Has anyone used the Radon? What about the Kriss?

E: Just checked out gameplay videos for the VZ58 and the Radon. The VZ58 has great sights, and the Radon has an EoTech. I know the HK 416 does too, but the VZ58 just decided it for me. At least up to that point. I have a soft spot for the VZ.

Just going to keep editing this until someone else posts. The game is prettier, combat is quicker, even with the nerfed damage. Queues are faster. Not super fast, but faster. I see more high-tier people in queue as well.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 25, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Coins are given to you based on playing, I don't think there's any correlation between wins or losses. You get anywhere from 1 to 3 of them per game, and it seems to be linked to the game somehow, as I usually queue with Blackhold and we get the same coin rewards.

Also the RPD is now not only a straight upgrade from an AKM, but a significant one. 5 damage and armor pen adds up quick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. Yeah, I think I've only gotten 1 per game so far. Probably only going to get one item before this thing ends.

Terminator or Deep Pockets? I feel like the only time I would use Terminator would be when I'm using a sniper rifle primary. On the other hand, if I'm understanding the armor change, an APS would actually make a decent sidearm for a sniper now.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Terminator or Deep Pockets? I feel like the only time I would use Terminator would be when I'm using a sniper rifle primary. On the other hand, if I'm understanding the armor change, an APS would actually make a decent sidearm for a sniper now.

Terminator is great when you don't have premium for the spare profile, and are in that weird tier where your guns are either knife-fighters or absolute long-range weapons. Kiparis and TOZ-34 are excellent weapons, right up until you get stuck on Mamayev or Rudnya.

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
i personally use deep pockets, mainly because i have one AR for everything and that means more grenades/traps/medkits

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm enjoying Terminator now for T2 and soon T3, but I think I need to drop to one box of 7.62 and go to three boxes of 9x18. I run out of Kiparis ammo way before I run out of Mosin ammo.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I started playing this game again over the weekend, and first got my poo poo pushed in a lot. Not only because I haven't played a lot of shooters in the last few weeks (not counting flying planes and driving tanks) but also thanks to all the players using the new weapons with actual useful sights. If starting fresh again this weekend teached me anything about weapon choice in Survarium, than it's all about picking a gun with usable sights.

For me, finally looting a Vepr bullpup AK made the difference. I knew there were terrible sights, like on the UZI, but i thought I made good use of the standard AK sights until I got this gun and actually started to consistantly hit people at any range and at the same time I started to notice that people picking me off were using mostly the fancy new western reflex sights that you can now find on quiet some guns.
I stuck with my blue A-545 and orange VAL before, but my low, grey Vepr tops them both thanks to its sights.

It's like playing a different game. :stare:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Scavengers have some new guns with good sights, too. The VZ. 58 isn't quite as clear as the VEPR, because they are lower, so the gun takes up more space. But they are kind of similar to Mosin sights, if that gives you a frame of reference. And then the RADON has a holographic sight, as does the Kriss. I'm going for the Vz. 58 right now because of the sights. I'm pretty much not using the AKM because of the sights. I'm willing to give it a chance again, but I'm enjoying T2 too much right now.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

I'm working towards the Radon myself. Only about a quarter of the way there, though. I'm going to second the thing about sights, because there are lots of guns that, on paper, straight up trounce other guns but wind up being useless due to the fact their sights are awful. The Kedr and Kashtan are good examples of good guns with useless sights, as is the SKS and the Winchester. I guess I'm just used to the AKM sights by now, but they definitely took a long while to get used to.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I just got the Baikal. I have been running it with the Kiparis secondary, and despite having half the shells, I'm doing much better with the Baikal than the SPAS . It might have to do with T4 people having better armor, but the simple bead sight on,the Baikal is miles ahead of the SPAS's peep sight.

I'm also somewhat happy with the range of shotguns in this game. I can shoot across the old school building side to side and get kills. I have mostly been taking out the kiparis for New York reloads and outside.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Hey y'all, I'm back playing this again. Can't do it every night since I work nights and I'm using a laptop so I need to hook it up to a TV to make it easy to see, but I'm aiming for a few hours every few days.

Lots of changes, my matches last night were a big surprise. I think I last played on 0.27c, so these killcams, everyone using SVD, choosable servers, etc. are all new to me. Still was able to kick a little rear end, but I'd forgotten how important pacing is. Especially coming from a massive Destiny binge.

What times are best for US servers? I played in the early afternoon EST yesterday and I could only get EU or RU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

I think mid-afternoon is NA primetime. I'm not sure if they fixed the bug on NA servers not letting you get the after-action loot screen, though.

EDIT: Let this give new goons some hope when they start this game. You may start out bad, but you can't possibly be as bad as the people in this scoreboard.

Mr Fahrenheit fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 30, 2015

• Locked thread