Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

BadLlama posted:

So how is this game currently? I bought it a year ago? When it was just a $10 thing but didn't bother to download it because I assumed it was lovely and was hoping after some development time it would be good. Is it good?

If you like team based shooters it's already pretty solid. If open world and co-op instances are what you were looking for you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Feindfeuer posted:

HACKER! :v:
But seriously, I wasn't even aware there were downloadable replays, that's nice I think I'll have to look through some of those some time.

The website for this is http://svfan.ru/. My profile for example is http://svfan.ru/players/1157251-thegasmask/profile.html and thanks to Chrome's auto translate I can actually read it!

BadLlama posted:

So how is this game currently? I bought it a year ago? When it was just a $10 thing but didn't bother to download it because I assumed it was lovely and was hoping after some development time it would be good. Is it good?

I think it's pretty awesome all things considered. As it's beta there's still a lot of work to go, but the 0.27 update with a bunch of added stuff is going public somewhat soon. I have a major soft-spot for Eastern European games though, so that colors my perception quite a bit.

Also side note, I need one more person in the Clowns of Survarium clan to enable it! It's all paid for, so if you want to use decals to look absurd and have some people to always play with, join up! In-game I'm theGASMASK, just friend me and I'll add you to the clan.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Gasmask posted:

Also side note, I need one more person in the Clowns of Survarium clan to enable it! It's all paid for, so if you want to use decals to look absurd and have some people to always play with, join up! In-game I'm theGASMASK, just friend me and I'll add you to the clan.

Sent you a request as DarkDobe

Perhaps I'll play this more often if I've other's to fart around with!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just remember we already have a goon group on there.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sweatermen

IM me for an invite or any of the other members.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

0.27a is now live.

patchnotes posted:

Gameplay:
◦Added new game mode - "Research";
◦Changed factions missions system. Now players are offered three random missions a day. Received the award depends on the medal player got for completing a mission: bronze, silver or gold;
◦Added rewards for successful actions in battle;
◦Changed the amount of experience, reputation and silver given to the player for actions in battle;
◦Added the ability to select the desired game mode for random battles;
◦Bonus for achieving first three wins in a day removed from the game;
◦Added a bleeding effect to critical damage of the torso;
◦Gunshot wounds and traps can cause bleeding, the chance depends on worn equipment and type of ammunition;
◦Now equipment can have a random modifier "protection from bleeding";
◦Onyx Artifact: the force of the active effect reduced from 95% to 50% damage absorption;
◦Reduced damage drop over distance for all sniper weapons;
◦Reduced chance of critical failure by maintaining low wear on player's equipment;
◦Changed the mechanics of piercing of surfaces: now the chance of piercing and damage depends on the angle of entry of the bullet;
◦Changed damage and armor-piercing modifiers for ammo to balance the change in the mechanics of piercing;
◦Revised the formula for calculating the chance of finding an item during Team Deathmatch;
◦Repair cost increased to 20% of the base value of the item;
◦Equipment sale cost in the shop is reduced to 15% of the base value of the item;
◦Now repair cost and sale price of an item depends on the number of positive modifiers.

Equipment and weapons:
◦Added new premium shotgun NeoStead 2000,AK-74U "Corsair", AK-74N '82 , AKM '65, Vepr-12 Molot, AK-12 M1, SKS-MF, Vepr "Wanderer", " Saiga-12C, the VSK-94 "Guardian";
◦Added new types of medicines;
◦Purchase of ammunition no longer requires reputation, all types of ammunition are available immediately;
◦VSS: distance increased to 100;
◦IZH-27 Lancaster: damage increased to 110, aiming increased to 0.35;
◦SOCOM 16: damage reduced to 75, fire rate reduced to 250, magazine size increased to 20;
◦SR-3M Vikhr: magazine size increased to 30;
◦SOCOM moved to the 13th level of equipment;
◦A Scavengers' chemical protection set moved to equipment tier 3 and now requires "Experienced" rank of reputation;
◦Antitoxin is now available for sale only at The Fringe Settlers';
◦PP-19-01 "Vityaz" moved to 5th level of equipment. Damage increased to 45;
◦The Renaissance Army's assault armor set moved to 10th level of equipment and now requires the rank of "Warrant Officer";
◦The Fringe Settlers' stalker armor set moved to 10th level of equipment and now requires the rank "Devoted";
◦Due to the change in level of equipment the basic cost of some items also changed;

Black market:
◦AKS-74U: damage reduced to 45;

The Fringe Settlers:
◦New weapon: Saiga-12 (12 level);
◦SKS: damage reduced to 60;
◦ASH-12: fire rate increased to 600, stopping power increased to 80%;
◦9A-91: distance increased to 50;
◦Bulletproof Vest "Pilgrim": added pockets capacity +2;
◦Pants "Pilgrim": slot for items replaced with artifact container, modifier added to reduce power consumption;

The Renaissance Army
◦New weapon: PKP Pecheneg (15 level);
◦New weapon: Vepr-12 (12 level);
◦New weapon: SOK-94 (level 6);
◦AK-12: damage reduced to 50, marksmanship to 40;

User Interface:
◦Added a percentage display of the General state of health;
◦Added a window that displays the distribution of weapons and equipment on the reputation levels of the groups;
◦Removed display of ammunition from shop and storage;
◦Now when accomplishing actions that reward experience, reputation or money in battle, the player will receive a short text message (can be disabled in the game settings);
◦Added display of how much experience and reputation you need to get the next level in the results window of the battle;

Bug Fix:
◦Fixed numerous resync issues and crashes;

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Gasmask posted:

The website for this is http://svfan.ru/. My profile for example is http://svfan.ru/players/1157251-thegasmask/profile.html and thanks to Chrome's auto translate I can actually read it!

I think it's pretty awesome all things considered. As it's beta there's still a lot of work to go, but the 0.27 update with a bunch of added stuff is going public somewhat soon. I have a major soft-spot for Eastern European games though, so that colors my perception quite a bit.

I'm gonna add you in game once I've got it all patched up, same name as here.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

hopterque posted:

I'm gonna add you in game once I've got it all patched up, same name as here.

Added to friends/clan! We finally got 5 people!

Now that I've had some time with the update, I'm sort of neutral. I like the award system, I don't like them taking away gold and daily rewards, the new mission system is meh because I like running through them quickly and having lots of options, the new guns (especially gold ones) are pointless, and research can be fun. There are tons of AFK people (we had one match where there were 6 AFK/silver bots), and I've never seen so many people exploit the matchmaking system by tossing on super high level gear at the last second. In fact I was in a squad and we played around 5 lvl 0-2 games, and every single one had some guy with lvl 15 armor, guns, etc topping the scoreboard. What ties into that (as a direct result) is spawnkilling is still a huge issue; though not as much in level 9+ matches, because people can't break it by being 10+ levels in gear higher.

While I still enjoy this a bunch and I've got a ton of people to play with (my friends list has ~10 people in all different timezones), until they start being proactive about exploits and cheating it's going to be frustrating more often than not.
As a side note, before the update dropped I checked the ban list, and it was pretty much a who's who of the "best" players of my previous dozen games. Always report, and if it's especially egregious post on the Survarium forums about it.

The CoS clan needs to be leveled up a hair before I can add more people. I have DarkDobe on the list as the first person in once it's able to accept more... didn't realize amount of members is entirely based on how well the people do in the clan itself. That's sort of retarded. It limits non-serious clans like this one, and considering there's no way this game is going to become a tourney game it's a loving bizarre design choice.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 3, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Decided to give this a try-looks pretty cool so far, but I have a question: is there any way to set ironsights mode to toggle? Not finding it in options so far, and my mouse can be a bit temperamental (logitech switches :argh: ) with holding rmb the entire time.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Naturally Selected posted:

Decided to give this a try-looks pretty cool so far, but I have a question: is there any way to set ironsights mode to toggle? Not finding it in options so far, and my mouse can be a bit temperamental (logitech switches :argh: ) with holding rmb the entire time.

Yes - The "Hold" keybind in options means holding the button down. There's another aim bind somewhere else on the list that's just "Aim" (I believe), and that's what you want. Same with crouch.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup, found it :downs: Since we're on the idiot question train, any way to repair gear without spending gold? Probably another thing I'm just flat not seeing.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Either pay gold and get it always instantly repaired, pay silver and either get it instantly repaired or in a few hours if it is critically damaged (meaning it has a stat malus), or use a repair kit for instant repairs. The repair kit can either be bought for gold or found as loot after a match.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Got the Terminator perk (let's you use 2 primary weapons on a profile) and it's made this hella more fun. I'll generally run Rem700 (or SV98)+PP2000 on first and Vepr+Bernelli (I think) shotgun on second. I'm finally able to cover all ranges with one profile and no longer screwed when a small map comes up.

Also discovered how important low weight is. I aim to keep it around 19-22 with some +kg mods on my stuff. It's pretty apparent when people are overweight, they're slow and so much easier to hit. The best players almost always run a low weight build. Also, the Marauder container* is the mark of people who don't take that into consideration.

*Marauder container lost an item slot with the update but still weighs 5Kg, so it's not worth using.

E: Clan is leveled up, sent out a couple more invites.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 5, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

To anyone curious:

Armor and Penetration are rather straightforward in application.

Each body part is separately armored, determined by the chosen kit being worn.

Each point of Armor value on your worn items subtracts 1% of incoming damage from a weapon's 'Damage' value.

Each point of Penetration on your weapon subtracts 1 Armor rating from your target body part.

This means that some of the weapons will end up being more viable against heavier-armored targets, where some will reap greater benefits against unarmored foes.

For example the UMP45 features 55 Damage and 25 Penetration, where the VEPR features 50 Damage and 30 Penetration.

The result of this is that around 75 armor value (The 2 highest tiers available exceed this value), the VEPR will outdamage the UMP45 against heavily armored opponents.

One can also add in specialty ammunition that improves penetration, damage, or both stats for minor tweaks to performance.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Gave this is a quick spin. While the gunplay is solid enough and fairly STALKERish, I honestly think the whole thing is pretty shallow right now, so I'll probably wait until the free play stuff before trying it again, but man do I love the Russian pubbies already. сука сука сука ты сука! пошёл нахуй! твою мать! and the like everywhere hahahaha (Between this game, War Thunder and Dota 2, it sounds like almost everyone in Russia has hosed my mother by this point).

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Drunk in Space posted:

Gave this is a quick spin. While the gunplay is solid enough and fairly STALKERish, I honestly think the whole thing is pretty shallow right now, so I'll probably wait until the free play stuff before trying it again, but man do I love the Russian pubbies already. сука сука сука ты сука! пошёл нахуй! твою мать! and the like everywhere hahahaha (Between this game, War Thunder and Dota 2, it sounds like almost everyone in Russia has hosed my mother by this point).

Yeah that's just one of those things that you say :v: Includes when you stab your toe. Also holy gently caress you people better be glad you don't speak Russian. Maybe it's because I've mostly been hiding in TG-like servers, but holy poo poo most pubbies are horrendous. Dudes here also seem to be obsessed with rats? Not even a clue what the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

Game's alright aside from me evidently getting stuck on the russian servers and there being zero modding possibility. Anyone know anything about if it's coming? Last thing I saw was some post from 2013 or something talking about weapon modding ideas-did they scrap that completely or is it just stuck in dev hell?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Since this is still early early beta there's been all sorts of rumors about what features are coming. Direct from devs I've heard that character customization (no more army of clones!) and weapon customization are on the list of eventual features. No timetable, but I'd assume those will be in before the game makes it to steam. Right now we're limited to weapon mods which are just minor stat boosts, though it's possible to luck out and create a death-dealing machine.

Our CoS clan is ranked #315 out of 1276! A hell of a lot better than I was expecting, probably because we all tend to play pretty well, even with looking stupid and occasionally trolling the hell out of everyone. We have 5 more slots open at this current level, so any goons that play this that want in just friend theGASMASK in game.

Some tips for newbies:
  • One of the most important weapon mod stats is distance. It increases the range that the gun will do full damage (i.e. extending the falloff), and can be the difference between getting a kill and getting killed. It goes up to 25% so on something like the Remington 700, which has a distance of 100m base, it brings it to 125m. This will let you get kills across most maps in 1 shot, maybe 2 depending on where you hit the target.
  • The Bleed modifiers really don't seem to do much. Once you start bleeding, you're dead unless you can mash a medkit quick enough.
  • Medkits are now pretty clutch. BUT, they take time to kick in, 2-3 seconds depending on which one. If you're bleeding out quickly don't waste one, but if you know you won't die within 3 seconds, use it to keep you alive.
  • The Marauder pack is pointless unless you have a -4kg or higher weight modifier.
  • Isolation is for stuff like the hot ground on that one larger outdoor map. It's not integral to have, but keeping a medium isolation means you can traverse areas that would otherwise kill you instantly.
  • Oxygen tanks are extremely situational. If you plan on going for artifacts it's worth having a profile with a tank, but otherwise they don't offer any benefits.
  • If you have a Logitech (or similar) mouse with forward and back buttons, bind melee to M4 and grenade to M5. This will make killing a little easier, and also allow running around like crazy while punching and throwing nades. You could also attempt to bind medkits to a button, but you'd need to pay attention to which slot you put the item in.
  • ALWAYS mod a set of free weapons to orange/gold. It barely costs anything, and will make the early game much easier.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was more talking about sights/silencers/whatever tacticlol poo poo, because some of the irons in this game are loving atrocious. Hint to newbies: don't buy the AKM. It's rear sight is modeled folded all the way down so instead of a pretty decent sight picture, you just get a chunk of metal blocking your aiming point :downs: By the time you can get it, you're only a little off the M4S90, which destroys in CQB, and have access to the SKS, which is decent at mid-long range.

Also the smoke-puffs from firing the gun can get hosed all to hell. Makes the AKM even worse, since you get decently heavy recoil+poo poo-all for sights+smoke puffs blowing out any visibility you managed to figure out over the irons.

Please tell me the Suchka has better sights than the drat AKM :smith:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The smoke puffs are indeed mighty-annoying for any weapon, especially so the semi-automatic and automatic sniper/marksman weapons, where any advantage of rapid shooting is quickly clogged in delightful plumes of smoke.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

:siren:REGIONAL SEVERS ARE GOING LIVE:siren:

I REPEAT

:siren:REGIONAL SERVERS ARE GOING LIVE!
:siren:

From your launcher, click on the 'Project Website' button, and you'll find the links there to change your region by way of the recent patch notes. You must be logged in on the Survarium webpage to do so.

The page to do so is here: https://na.survarium.com/shop/na-en/regions - Be sure to log in to the Survarium webpage before attempting this link!

"We’re glad to announce that the update 0.27c has been successfully installed on Survarium game servers.
As announced earlier, with the release of this update the game servers were separated into three regions: Europe, North America and CIS. The changes were also made to the project's official website. Now our website will be available in three versions. European and CIS versions of survarium.com will start working immediately with the North American version available shortly.

We hope that linking accounts to specific servers will enable players to get a higher speed connection and lower ping.

Also note that we have made changes in the conditions of transition between regions.
Now the transition between regions for players will be absolutely free. But to avoid too frequent changes of the region - we introduce a restriction on one change of region a day per account.

Now about the changes made to the clan system of our game.
Due to the implementation of the regional servers, clans will be bound to the region belonging to the majority of players in the clan. Players will be able to add friends only within their regions. Please note that the name of the clan must be unique and cannot be repeated on other servers."

As seen here: https://na.survarium.com/na-en/news/separation-servers-and-v027c-update

To those interested in item mods, and you should be, here is a list of available stats:

https://support.survarium.com/index.php?/ru/en/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/0/modification-of-items

Scroll down for a nice chart of what is possible on each piece of kit!
I HIGHLY recommend, if you can spare the silver/gold, to make a set of armor, pants and boots with MAXIMUM move-speed. The 15% it adds makes up for a massive difference when coupled with the character talents in same. You can run a good 30% faster than anyone else and sprint forever!

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

:siren:REGIONAL SEVERS ARE GOING LIVE:siren:

I REPEAT

:siren:REGIONAL SERVERS ARE GOING LIVE!
:siren:

North America

:captainpop:

Gonna try this out when I get home.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Here is a sample of an insanely effective movespeed loadout:

Pump your points into physical training, namely: Endurance, Breath, Rapid and Packrat. An alternative is 5/3 points in Endurance/Breath and 2 in Grenadier for utility. This is for characters level 20+

The items being used have an easily discernible theme: they are all level 8 or less, and picked for minimum weight/effectiveness. The weapon is easily one of the best available for the level - and with fire-rate stat hoses some 17 rounds a second, enough to murderize even at mid-long ranges.
As I am not yet of high enough level to rock both 21-point stats, I would point out that it is beneficial to pick Deep Pockets, as the added item slot can be used for another grenade, or preferably for Science Medkits.

Highlighted are the key mods on each piece of kit - to 'roll' these one should expect to spend about a thousand gold in the store, including the silver purchases of base items.
If you are particularly lucky and happen to MAKE an item with the aforementioned stats, you can easily add a second desired stat to the items, which is to say weight reduction on the Chest, Pants and Boots, and Bleeding Protection on the others.

When combining items:

If your original item has a NATURAL high stat, do not bother combining with anything else fancy. Use a base grey, and pay in GOLD for the upgrade, which you can then reroll.

If you have rerolled the initial stat into a max, for example 5% movespeed - and are looking to add another: It is sometimes preferable to use ANOTHER statted item (albeit one with only a single state) to improve quality of results.
There is NO relationship between the 'donor' item stats and the new stats being added! It took me a few tries to confirm, so do NOT waste your time trying to roll a perfect second item in hopes that the two will fuse.

Always make sure that the good item is the one being upgraded (on the left of the upgrade slot). You can use greys to upgrade coloured items, but I suspect the quality of the added stat suffers (requires confirmation).
I have used a fully statted (15 weight) item to upgrade a fully statted (5 move speed) item, and the result was 5 movespeed and 10 reliability - neither the same stat, nor a maximum value. It is a bit of a crapshoot!

In order of preference I find stats to keep an eye out for are:

Move Speed
Weight
Bleeding Protection
Armor
Isolation

So long as you have a high roll on the first two, perhaps both, the item should be considered for rerolling and upgrades (for example to reach a third stat - though this is a bit risky!)

For weapons:

Distance
Fire rate
Reload Speed
Damage / Armor Pen

Distance can make the largest difference in engagements, as it affects the point at which damage falloff kicks in. This is remarkably noticeable on weapons with over 50 'distance' to begin with, as it extends their preferred range of engagement a good deal, and can edge out a similarly armed opponent.
Fire rate is useful on the weapons with higher than 600 initial rate.
Reload speed on anything with a small magazine and automatic fire.
Damage and Armor Pen are both nice, the latter more valuable above 70 armor on opponents.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 18, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out NA servers aren't live yet. :negative:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jehde posted:

Turns out NA servers aren't live yet. :negative:

Soon!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

This server stuff is most bad for clans it seems, splitting them up and locking them to one region. I guess CoS is going to be US based since that's where I am, right now I'm on the EU server until US goes live. Figured out that the game had put me on CIS when I first started, now that I'm on a closer server my ping has hovered around 110-130. Also took a few days off as life got in the way, but I'm trying to get a few games in here and there.

DarkDobe, I'm pretty impressed with how much you've figured out!

In terms of why gold is more ideal (though I'm of the mind that you definitely don't need to spend anything to do well or upgrade your gear):
When you have two items of the same color (ALWAYS DO THIS FOR UPGRADES!! Chances are double than if you used a different colored item) and you do the upgrade, it's a 50% to work and 25% to take away stats using silver. People seem to have the most trouble comprehending what 50% actually means. In effect, it's a coin flip. Yes/No. 0/1. Previous rolls don't modify it in any way, so out of 10 tries you're not going to have 5 upgrades. After a couple thousand you'll approach 50%, but in practice you're as likely to get 10 fails in a row.

This has created some utterly stupid drama on the official forums, as people literally can't understand this. To them, 50% means it will be yes half the time, and if it's not the game must be cheating them out of it.

E:
Some advice for snipers:
• Under level 10 (maybe above since I haven't gotten further), the Remington700 is an absolute beast. It has less kick and faster bolt-cocking than the SV98, so you're not as exposed in between shots. With a 25% distance mod you can do full damage quite a ways across a map.
• Don't stay scoped. Find a target before you scope-in. Pick someone that's still, moving in relatively straight lines, or a danger to teammates/objectives. Once you're zoomed, either slowly drag the crosshairs across them and click when it's centered (for stationary/following shots) or aim ahead of them and wait for them to move into the center (for running dudes). Trying to hit the perfect shot by jerking around or trying to center on the head wastes too much time, it's way easier to let them do all the work of running into your sights! With the addition of bleeding a bodyshot can kill most dudes, and if it doesn't you've weakened them for another shot/teammates' bullets.
• After a few kills, move. You may be one hell of a crack shot, but that dude you sniped is going to sneak around and kill your camping rear end if you just sit there. This also gives the benefit of more kills - those guys you just killed are going to go to your old spot, and you can kill them again from a different location when they do!
• Bullet physics have been messed up. You no longer need to lead much, just a hair ahead at very far distances (like across the map with the big marsh and the church). It's not quite hitscan, but closer.
• Pay attention to friendlies using the minimap. It should go without saying, but when I'm covering an area from the enemy side and a teammate runs up and shoots me, I get kinda annoyed. Doubly so when they say "Oh, I didn't expect a teammate there!". On the flipside, I feel like an rear end when someone runs into my sights and that enemy headshot becomes a friendly one, or I react without thinking to motion because I didn't check the map.
• As a sniper, it should be your job to clear a path to the goals. If a teammate is carrying a battery, don't pick off stragglers. Get over there and get the dudes chasing after them. If a group of friendlies is going for a cap, scout ahead a little and pick off attackers, get them shooting at you instead. Throw yourself in front of the enemies if needed; I've helped us win by distracting enemies enough that our team can slip right by.
• Once you know the maps you can countersnipe. Most snipers are super-predictable, so once you know where they camp you can pick them off and make things easier for your team. There are certain spots which are rarely used but provide tons of cover, so figure those out (watch replays of good players if you have to) and keep an eye on them. They're usually on a different plane than most of the field, so people don't tend to look there. Think stuff high up, or low and off to the side. Some trees are "climbable", so if you keep on getting sniped but are sure you've looked everywhere, check the trees.
• Finally, never ever run with your rifle out unless you're sure that the coast is clear. In fact, only take out the rifle when you have a target. Early on I'd use the small shotgun as my secondary and use that for close encounters, but with the terminator perk I use the PP2000. It's great to watch people fumble and try to get out a secondary fast enough when I blow up their spot.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 19, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Gasmask posted:

SNIPERSTUFF

I will likely take a few moments, later, to find screenshots of the maps in-game that I might point out some of the more unique and exotically exploitable sniping positions on the levels.

Likely I myself am hardly aware of the climbable trees - my sniping playstyle focuses almost entirely on side-pushing and objective harassment, usually culminating in smoke grenades over the battery hoard followed by some theft and escape through anomaly zones, or lacking nades, I will try to find myself a spot inside the enemy spawn to shoot from, viable in almost all of the maps.

Above level 10, the SVD is a godly beast - being the only semi-auto sniper rifle, with the only true skill requirement (past aim) being self-control. So long as you can time your shots against recoil, this gun is fantastic.

Of the VSSK I shall not speak -as I have not used one, and it seems too beautiful for mere mortals. So far as I have heard, it suffers for the same problem other suppressed weapons do: slow projectiles, albeit with massive damage.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 20, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Example the first: Chemical Plant

Spawns are represented by the large squares.
Red and Blue locations are for those teams respectively.
Violet can be used by either side.

Locations of note are as follows:

A) Viable for both teams, preferable for Blue. Can provide coverage of approaches along the north side of the map. Lurk around behind the train barricades, or the large pillars towards the Red side
B) An excellent infiltration point, especially for one armed with a sniper-rifle. You can pick off people leaving base, and it is trivial to guard the approaching walkway from inside Blue spawn if you are unexpected.
C) Seen employed often, the upper floor of the building can offer each team opportunity for harassment, and denies easy access to the catwalks.
D) Invasion points for both teams. Blue has an easier time of this, since the Red side building is more intricate and offers room to hide and evade while denying their snipers an easy roost.
E) A unique little spot - hide just-south of the doorway exit from the building, and you can fire down the length of the map often undiscovered for a long while. Beware the toxic spores of course - don't go too far south.
F) Along the back wall, there is a lumpy hill half-covered by a large tree. This is actually climbable when approached from the east! Lurk inside the foliage and you can pick on people at either side. More exploitable by Red as they have easier access - but a blue player here can wreak havoc on Red spawn snipers.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Rudnya

A note as to the hazard here: So far as I am aware, the fog itself is not volatile, but touching the water itself causes ramping toxin damage, and should be avoided by the under-equipped.

As before, spawns are denoted by the coloured rectangles.
Locations of not are coloured for the respective team, violet of interest to either.

A) Both of these are excellent locations from which to guard enemy approach to the church. As Red, beware of being spotted from across the map - as you are offered poor cover. Blue has an easier time of hiding about the shrubbery here and picking off approaching Reds.
B) The church itself is an excellent point of defense - but do not neglect the ground-floor windows. The roof is tempting, but makes you incredibly obvious to counter-snipers.
C) There is a low wall and a tree leaning out over the cliffside here. Hide under and behind the tree, and you can pick off enemies from either side. Advantage here is for Red, though.
D) The little building atop the hill here is excellent for Red's defense, and for Blue harrasment. Beware grenades - favour running around the building than hiding inside it, and know that you can flee east into the slopes and bushes easily.
E) Between the buildings there is a large tree. Red can hide here with surprising effect to pick off enemies running north from Blue spawn. Also viable is inside the shack - the windows give excellent outlook, but are one of the 'obvious' popular locations, and is often flushed or grenaded.
F) Near the west corner of this area, there is a rock and tree around and over which an enterprising Blue sniper can hide, especially so shooting enemies at location E
G) Ontop of and around the enemy spawns. Red has less room - but a defensible position. Blue has a surprising mobility over the roof, under the rafters, and throughout the building itself. Of course each team can employ their own rooftop, though the opportunities presented there are risky.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Rudnya - I think it's across the little ditch by E (or on the other side of that building), but there's a tiny shrub looking at the battery point/shack area. That team always runs past it on the way out, so it's a prime three-kill camping spot. You're nearly impossible to see at first since it's at an odd angle and there's a shrub.

Chemical Plant - the tanks on the red side bottom have pipes leading from the hills next to them across the tanks. They're elevated like 10--5 feet and you get to them by jumping on the pipes/little platform and walking across.

Fort - on one of the far sides (the higher up "garden" area that's a charger station), there's a tree stump next to some rocks. By jumping on the rocks, then using a bit of momentum to jump-throw yourself, you can get on the stump, which has a huge "shield" covering the front. From there you can cover all 3 entrances by standing up, and you're nearly impossible to see. You can even see all 6 battery slots so you can stay hidden until you're sure a battery has spawned.

Cologne - this is a bit harder to describe. A little ways up on one side, there's a tilted train and a tree with low branches a few feet to the right of it. You can jump from the train to the tree, then climb up the branches. This is almost completely covered, and I watched a dude get like 15 kills in a row from that spot.

Vostok - In Protect charger mode, the battery charger in the fenced generator area (A in research) is up against a generator. By jumping on the charger, you can leapfrog up onto the generator. You're above head height, wires and poo poo block enemy visibility, and you have line of site to all fence-holes/entrances.

E: Totally forgot to mention, every update so far has modified maps. From moving barriers to major architecture shifts. I still haven't run through the full set in all modes, so this latest patch could've removed some of these.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Oh, I totally forgot about Rudnya's most underutilized hiding spot: over by the church, sort of behind it and towards the spawn, there's a collapsed stone wall at an angle, with a bush in front. You can jump on the wall and be completely hidden from the approaching team (best if you're the team that starts by the shack on the hill). When dudes try to sneak up to snipe from the church, they'll almost always run by you, and you'll be at such an angle that they won't see you unless they turn around. You're up against the invisible wall so movement is limited, but it's entirely possible to get 6-8 kills from that spot before you're noticed.

E: this game allows minor climbing, if you jump at something and its waist height or higher. @ chemical plant this means the broken walkway outside/in front of the spawns is 100% reachable, just takes a leap of faith!

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bumping this since Steam release, update and NA servers go live tomorrow (April 2nd).

Will be doing a nighttime CoS thing (around 8pm EST) for any newbies who want to squad up/need a hand. As long as the release isn't broken... Anyone else is welcome to join! Steam name is A Slothful Bong, Survarium name is theGASMASK.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 1, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Gasmask posted:

Bumping this since Steam release, update and NA servers go live tomorrow (April 2nd)

Neat!

Is it a big update for the steam launch?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

hopterque posted:

Neat!

Is it a big update for the steam launch?

As far as I can tell, it's NA servers, some sync issues fixed and maybe a few small other things. Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything huge.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This is news to me - and entirely awesome! Steam release is long overdue, to say nothing of NA servers.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Y'all enjoy this, what would you compare it to?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Texibus posted:

Y'all enjoy this, what would you compare it to?

As of right now it's strictly PvP TDM, CTF, and Hold Area modes. Gameplay/handling itself is I guess more on the Arma or Stalker side of things than BF or CoD, with actual weight and inertia to the character.
It's also pretty hard. Think one hit kills, no fast regen, and wounding of different body parts. Echolocation is critical and the best players will rely on sound as much as sight. Running and gunning will get you killed quickly, so expect to creep around a lot, but when firefights erupt you either haul rear end out after killing or die yourself.
Also be prepared to die a lot of "cheap" deaths and assume that it's half hackers.

Note: Steam release could make it easier thanks to an influx of new players, or worse due to olds going in and stomping everyone.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This is a pretty good game.

We got a steam group or mumble?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

vandalism posted:

This is a pretty good game.

We got a steam group or mumble?

A clan ingame (as of right now only SA members) called Clowns of Survarium, there's a steam group but I don't know if it's still active, and for the clan I got some TS info.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Could you invite Space Ham to the clan?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

vandalism posted:

Could you invite Space Ham to the clan?

Sure thing, I'll add you as a friend, then add to clan and you should get something asking to accept.
E: make sure you're on the U.S. server (if you're in US). It can be set on the forums if you haven't already made a forum account.
Hah I guess adding friends is broken and they need to talk in general chat so they can be added

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Our goon steam group is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sweatermen

Message me or anyone else in the group for an invite!

• Locked thread