Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dvsilverwing posted:

How is the Socom, anyway? I assume it got a nerf of some sort when it went from super rare drop only to level 6 BM gear?

It's like the SOK-94 used to be but with worse recoil and a full auto setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Bolow posted:

SOK-94 seemed like poo poo from the get-go, there was no reason to use it over the SKS unless you like being slightly more inaccurate.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Remember, now you can mod any stat on an item! Make those orange guns even better, goons!

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh and don't bother with the FNC. It's ironsights are great... at 75m or so. :downs: Otherwise they take up 30%+ of your screen with solid metal, surrounding a sight that's maybe a pinkie nail-sized hole. Keeping track of a moving target while firing is loads of fun. Tried to grab a screen shot, but it didn't work-I'll do it next time.

And this is a new rifle. Seriously, how in the absolute *gently caress* does a game studio that's building an FPS utterly fail at making usable irons?

I basically shoot it by braille. Point where I saw the target last, wave around until I get hitmarkers :v:

E: Got a screenshot. POI is a little below the notch in the middle.

Looking at the SS, it's less than 30%, but still, holy gently caress.

Bolow posted:

WAIT WAIT WAIT. It has an FA option? Gotta try that next time.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 1, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Jesus, you were saying how bad it was but I hadn't actually seen it yet. How the hell do you aim at something that's moving? That's far too small a hole to acquire a target and if they move left or right you're boned.

One of the other changes, the Vepr, is also off. With the slight FOV change and zoom they added it's still uncomfortable to aim, but slightly less so than before. They don't realize that to make it usable they have to keep the area around the target open. Make it wide enough that if you're tracking something you can see where it goes and not have metal bits blocking poo poo. It's one of the most basic features in an FPS, but one so many devs get wrong.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Oh, also, Gasmask, I need another invite to the clan. Switched from EU -> NA so that when NA comes back up (if it ever does) I'll be playing on it, and that removed all my friends/clan.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
^^^^^^it won't come back until enough NA players join the game. Actual VG response. Which there won't be because aside from über spergs like us, no one wants to gently caress with a 20hz server at 150+ ping and horrendous net code.

The Gasmask posted:

Jesus, you were saying how bad it was but I hadn't actually seen it yet. How the hell do you aim at something that's moving? That's far too small a hole to acquire a target and if they move left or right you're boned.

One of the other changes, the Vepr, is also off. With the slight FOV change and zoom they added it's still uncomfortable to aim, but slightly less so than before. They don't realize that to make it usable they have to keep the area around the target open. Make it wide enough that if you're tracking something you can see where it goes and not have metal bits blocking poo poo. It's one of the most basic features in an FPS, but one so many devs get wrong.

But this is ~realistic~ (ignoring the fact that anyone that's combat trained will have both eyes open anyways, thus getting a totally different picture) and doesn't obscure ENOUGH of your fov!!!!. An actual argument I saw in the shitmound when 0.28 just hit PTS.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 3, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Problem with videogames in general, you can't have realistic iron sights. It just doesn't work. If you model them correctly you'll see nothing as they obscure too much, which is not a problem with the way actual eyes work. If you soften up the model ppl cry about the model beeing unrealistic... if you'd try to create a compound picture of how an actual eye sees through sights ppl would probably get motion sickness or something. All of this of course is even more pronounced as humans have a far wieder field of view than any monitor provides.

No matter what you do, you'll always find people complaining about the way you solve it; but i also prefer soften up sight models; it just goes natural with the way my senses are dulled and restricted in a videogame.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Feindfeuer posted:

Problem with videogames in general, you can't have realistic iron sights. It just doesn't work. If you model them correctly you'll see nothing as they obscure too much, which is not a problem with the way actual eyes work. If you soften up the model ppl cry about the model beeing unrealistic... if you'd try to create a compound picture of how an actual eye sees through sights ppl would probably get motion sickness or something. All of this of course is even more pronounced as humans have a far wieder field of view than any monitor provides.

No matter what you do, you'll always find people complaining about the way you solve it; but i also prefer soften up sight models; it just goes natural with the way my senses are dulled and restricted in a videogame.

I'm unforgiving of iron sights in general; I often try to shoot guns 'from the hip' in video games and get punished for it. I thought iron sights was pretty cool the first time I saw them, I guess in the first Call of Duty game, but if you had told me that novelty was going to become the way most shooters work, I'd have said you were stupid.

It's considered cheating to get rid of view model in most of these online shooters, right? I have a toggle set up in tf2 and those view models are nothing like this iron sight sillyness.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Dvsilverwing posted:

Oh, also, Gasmask, I need another invite to the clan. Switched from EU -> NA so that when NA comes back up (if it ever does) I'll be playing on it, and that removed all my friends/clan.

Okay cool, I'll get you back in if someone hasn't already. Haven't had as much time to play as I'd like thanks to work, but things are slowing down after this weekend so I can squad up with y'all more.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

Red Orchestra and Red Orchestra 2 had great irons and a great ADS system in my opinion. Felt like I was looking down the sights of a shouldered gun rather than looking at an on-screen overlay that's showing me where to shoot.

Atlasesque
Apr 8, 2014
I figured out a great solution to the iron sights problem = use the shotgun.

Speaking of using the shotgun, I can't figure out what the best configuration is. The damage calculation formula also seems to be absent from... everywhere.

The Franchi SPAS-12 by default does 120 damage with 5 armor pen, 1 dispersion, and 30m distance.

The ammo options are either +60 damage (150% damage) or +2.5 armor pen (150% armor pen).

The 60 damage seems very appealing, at a glance, but after trying both the armor pen is MUCH more reliable. I've been getting kills at ridiculous ranges.

So my question is, what should my mods be (currently have 5% damage/5% armor pen and 25% range), and why is such a small increase in armor pen (2.5!) so much better than a 60 increase in damage?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I have +25% Range, +10% rate of fire and 6% increase reload speed on my Super 90 and I've had no problems cutting through swathes of people using buckshot even at assault rifle engagement ranges.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Armor is a flat value whereas damage scales off the armor value

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Bolow posted:

I have +25% Range, +10% rate of fire and 6% increase reload speed on my Super 90 and I've had no problems cutting through swathes of people using buckshot even at assault rifle engagement ranges.

Have you tried the Spas-12 by any chance? I like the extra rounds in the Spas 12 better than I do fire rate of the Benelli M4, it still fires as fast as you can click and with an extra 2 rounds you can finish off those long (probably soon to be nerfed) range kills.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dvsilverwing posted:

Have you tried the Spas-12 by any chance? I like the extra rounds in the Spas 12 better than I do fire rate of the Benelli M4, it still fires as fast as you can click and with an extra 2 rounds you can finish off those long (probably soon to be nerfed) range kills.

Spas-12 is a full kilogram heavier which means I can bring one less box of shells, and stay under 20kg (I'm aware that 15kg is now the fastest you can be). And I've frequently run out of ammo with super 90 to justify bringing about 60 shells instead of only 40.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Has anyone figured out the amount of armor you need to survive a shot from a stock Mosin/TOS sniper rifle?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

facialimpediment posted:

Has anyone figured out the amount of armor you need to survive a shot from a stock Mosin/TOS sniper rifle?

If it's someone with the newbshield, about 5 +armor zubr's stacked one on top of the other.

E: Also, the SOCOM M14 doesn't have an FA mode, you all lied to me :arghfist::( Combined with it only doing 5 more damage than the AKM/AKSU, that's seriously hilarious.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 5, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

If it's someone with the newbshield, about 5 +armor zubr's stacked one on top of the other.

E: Also, the SOCOM M14 doesn't have an FA mode, you all lied to me :arghfist::( Combined with it only doing 5 more damage than the AKM/AKSU, that's seriously hilarious.

10 more damage than AKM/SKS/SOK-94, 5 more damage than AK-74/AKS-74u.

Also the sights on it suck, but aren't as bad as the FNC's sights, which I had to try for myself, and they were indeed absolutely unusable. That's a shame, because it seems like it has almost no recoil to it, if it had better sights it'd probably be good competition for the AK-74M/AKS-74u/VEPR.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Oh poo poo they took it away? It had it last patch :smith:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dvsilverwing posted:

10 more damage than AKM/SKS/SOK-94, 5 more damage than AK-74/AKS-74u.

Also the sights on it suck, but aren't as bad as the FNC's sights, which I had to try for myself, and they were indeed absolutely unusable. That's a shame, because it seems like it has almost no recoil to it, if it had better sights it'd probably be good competition for the AK-74M/AKS-74u/VEPR.

Yeah the FNC would be an amazing gat if they let us stick an RDS on it or something. But those sights are just hilariously atrocious. I didn't mind the SOCOM's sights, but everything else about that gun is hot garbage.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah the FNC would be an amazing gat if they let us stick an RDS on it or something. But those sights are just hilariously atrocious. I didn't mind the SOCOM's sights, but everything else about that gun is hot garbage.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's what the workshop is intended to do, modify your weapons and such. They've confirmed they do plan to add weapon mods, but there's no ETA.

Bolow posted:

Oh poo poo they took it away? It had it last patch :smith:

Maybe because it went from being a super rare match-drop only weapon to a standard Black Market tiered weapon?

It's pretty good.

Edit: Update! Just got the level 8 gear for Black Market. M4A1 is like the FNC, it has almost no recoil, good ROF, good accuracy, but its good qualities are ruined by lovely ironsights. They aren't as bad as the FNC, but the certainly aren't good. The MP7 on the other hand, is pretty drat good, good ROF, little recoil, and the sights are just a 3-dot set up with high visibility red glowing dots in the middle. The armor also looks cool as hell, although it's definitely not Molot.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 7, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
FINALLY GOT THE AK-74M :woop:

And holy poo poo that thing is a death-laser. I've been demolishing snipers with it like nothing.

E: Scratch that, gently caress the AK. Got a Saiga. Bitches better not show up within 50m of me.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 8, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Really wishing the Mp7 had the 30 round mags. 20 rounds just doesn't cut it when you're playing against level 8/9/10 gear.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So a funny thing happened. I got a Vepr AR, decided to check it out and it turns out that they can, in fact, make excellent ironsights. They just only did it for the one Ukrainian rifle in the game. So surprised.

Also, new patch broke something and I can't even install it. VG.txt

E: New patch dropped, adding premium armors, and buffing the premium AK12 :downs:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So a funny thing happened. I got a Vepr AR, decided to check it out and it turns out that they can, in fact, make excellent ironsights. They just only did it for the one Ukrainian rifle in the game. So surprised.

Also, new patch broke something and I can't even install it. VG.txt

E: New patch dropped, adding premium armors, and buffing the premium AK12 :downs:

Well, they sort of unintentionally buffed the premium AK12... by nerfing the normal one. That being said I've seen the normal one a ton, and only one player ever using the premium one.

Edit: This newbie buff has got to go. There's no reason a player with level 3 or 4 weapons and armor should still have it.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 8, 2015

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Edit: This newbie buff has got to go. There's no reason a player with level 3 or 4 weapons and armor should still have it.

All I use is the newbie shield with whatever gun I want. No equipment but bandaids and medkits, and I soak hits like Molot armor.

edit: I'm doing it because late at night, no matter what tier I queue with, there is always someone with an RPD or AS Val wrecking poo poo; I need all the handicaps I can get :(.

Mr Fahrenheit fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 9, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Well, wenn i sit around waiting in queue for 15 minutes in my high-end gear I want to stomp some helpless people armored with ugly sweaters and armed with hope and nothing else. It's unfair to me, as an rear end in a top hat, to have to actually put effort into my kills. :colbert:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

All I use is the newbie shield with whatever gun I want. No equipment but bandaids and medkits, and I soak hits like Molot armor.

edit: I'm doing it because late at night, no matter what tier I queue with, there is always someone with an RPD or AS Val wrecking poo poo; I need all the handicaps I can get :(.

RPD is actually really mediocre, it's like an AKM but 2 levels higher that you don't have to reload as often.

Also you can't use the upgraded ammo with it.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Just started playing this game, and having a blast despite the crashes, ironsights, and matchmaking. It's rough around the edges, just like my beloved S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Couple questions though: If all my gear is around level 2 but I'M level 9 or so, will I still be matched with people in the level 2 bracket?

And is there any way to reduce my ping? I really want to play this game more, but I'm having a hard time justifying it with 200 ping. I'm in Oregon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

lewtt posted:

Couple questions though: If all my gear is around level 2 but I'M level 9 or so, will I still be matched with people in the level 2 bracket?

And is there any way to reduce my ping? I really want to play this game more, but I'm having a hard time justifying it with 200 ping. I'm in Oregon.

All that matters for matchmaking is your EQUIPMENT level. There is also a character level on the upper-left for skill points, and a faction level at the upper-right which controls unlocks. But literally all that matters is the highest level of equipment that you currently have equipped. Character/faction levels don't matter at all.

With equipment levelling, mix a bunch of level 1 armor with a level 4 gun and you're level 4. It will always count your highest-level equipped item, not an average. It's really important for matchmaking and sometimes your daily challenges (on the far right) will have an equipment level requirement.

As for ping, you're turbofucked. The servers are in Europe and they only kept American servers for a few weeks. In the midwest, I usually get in the 140s-150s.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So, even though the M4A1 has sights that are only slightly better than the FNC's, there's definitely a trick to using it. Make sure you have the -10% weapon recoil skill, and try to get a -10% weapon recoil on the M4A1 itself, then go for fire rate and then damage/AP/dispersion if you have the money to do it, depending on preference. Even though you have a lovely sight picture, it has low enough recoil with that -20% that you can get a lot of shots on target before they're out of view. That's about the only way to get the M4A1 to work. With the +10% fire rate you have 825 RPM, which is pretty good for a rifle, and the recoil is super low.

If the M4A1 didn't have lovely sights, it'd be the meta rifle of the 7/8 level instead of the Vepr or AK-74m.

Edit: Apparently you can also get -recoil on gloves! They make it even better. Also sold my green AK-74m and dropped like 700,000 on getting an orange Vepr, totally worth it. The sights are AMAZINGLY clear in comparison to... just about every other sight in the game, really.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 11, 2015

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
I've found that wrecking idiots with tier 3 - 4 equipment just feels like a sweet spot for the game, except for the sweatermen but they aren't a great hassle, my problem with is when a tier 9 or 10 that actually understands what they are doing gets dragged into a game. some weapons just can't hang against them.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Yay victory, amazed I did so well on that map against the Mosin Sweater Armada. I stopped using traps after this match after I only went 1 kill 1 TK with them

In terms of perks or whatever, Terminator or Deep Pockets? Or is the other tree worth investing in at all?

Weight doesn't feel like it does much either, but I haven't hit the 20kg breakpoint yet

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
i like terminator, it allows you to take weapons for different purposes like an akm and a baikal or a sniper rifle. and as for the other tree i prefer running speed grenade toss distance recover stamina after a kill and all the sprint upgrades.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

E: It's back to normal - for whatever reason everything clan related was reset for me for at least a week. Taking my rant down because it's not applicable much anymore, and my complaints are pretty much retreads of the huge amount of issues everyone who plays has encountered.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 24, 2015

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
I just got into masters league in this game and wow was it a step up from the previous one. In the span of one game me in T5 gear went from stomping T7-8's to hiding in a corner afraid of the ZUBR and pilgrim terminators with the big gently caress off MGs. It feels like skill can only carry so far in these ranked matches where at one point it becomes all about the gear you are carting around. Odd part is i kept going up in ranking regardless so take that with whatever salt comes from the other players i guess?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just started. It's fun so far, but I'm getting desynced maybe 7-8 times a game for a second or two. Does anyone know anything about that? I am on wireless, but it's a solid wireless connection, I haven't had connection problems with it before.

edit: If there are still people playing, what mumble/TS are you on?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 26, 2015

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
Me and serfahrenheit usually play at night in central time US, we are down in the jort fort channel on the goon mumble, as for the desync i have not noticed any myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So is this game pretty much dead? 5 minutes looking for a game at 10:30pm. Ended up with a 0-7 match according to the search.

Then the game crashed :v:

Edit: Holy poo poo, these ironsights are awful

And the game really doesn't like multiple monitors

quote:

Apparently due to decreasing numbers of players in North America and the mixed Steam launch of the game Vostok has decided to redirect the North American players to the European servers for the time being.

:allears: That explains my 200 ping. Great being dead before the enemy even shoots.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 27, 2015

• Locked thread