Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I just started playing this, in game name is theGASMASK and steam name is A Slothful Bong.
Definitely enjoying it so far, it's very much Stalker influenced. Kinda janky control-wise, but I'm getting the hang of it.

E: Now that I have a few days in I'm having loads of fun and have pretty much mastered where to lead with sniper rifles. Still trying to figure out exactly why some of the shotguns and assaults don't seem to hit where I'd expect (I can aim center mass at about 15 yards, fire 5-10 shots while the target is stationary, miss every single one, then get killed in one or two shots as they suddenly notice me... shotgun is even worse, have missed nearly every point blank shot I've taken with them, or done the least amount of damage possible).

I heard in chat the update is apparently going live on the test server today or something, but I'm not a part of that so I don't know for sure.

Oh, and holy poo poo does this have a lot of weird crashes. Almost every TDM match will crash before it loads, then I have to deal with 3 subsequent crashes before I can finally get into the map, and today I had a game where I was destroying, then it crashed twice, and when I rejoined it was bugged (no one else was moving) until all of a sudden I got killed from nowhere and lost like 3 kills I had done before it originally crashed.

E2: lol

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Starting a Clowns of Survarium (CoS) clan. I'm working on grinding to get enough silver for it, but the specific purpose is to use decals to make your character look ridiculous - poo poo like giant targets on your chest, the biohazard symbol on your butthole (it looks amazing), giant and angled decals covering 50% of your body, etc.

Have me and one other guy, need 3 more. in game is theGASMASK, so if you want in just friend me and let me know.

E: Aw man, I wish I had known about the referrals! I'm mainly grinding to get gold to do 1-3 day premiums, it woulda been nice to have a block of premium right off the bat. Still, the game seems to give enough gold in drops to cover it, and I seem to get random "Premium 50% off!" popups when it runs out so I don't have to spend real cash.

Once the new patch drops and I've had a little fun I'll probably toss some money to the devs that way. This game is definitely worth some cash even in the early beta phase.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

The more I play this the more I'm impressed at how sniper rifles are handled. There's some weird misalignment of the scopes/crosshairs at long distances (I have to aim at a persons chest to get a headshot, which is totally opposite of what bullet-drop would lead to) but it requires leading a target to nail a hit. I love being able to hit someone running at full speed across the map and the subsequent "HACKER!" accusations.

Also, the downloadable replays are great, it's allowed me to catch some of those "Oh god gonna make this shot, no way it can hit..." moments that I'm so fond of.

Here are two awesome headshots, both last second (in the first case literally) kills which I was certain I wouldn't make. First one is slowed down to 30%, second one is at like 10 or 20% to give you a clear picture of what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wNtcrghvg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqT8RVZetM

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

HACKER! :v:
But seriously, I wasn't even aware there were downloadable replays, that's nice I think I'll have to look through some of those some time.

The website for this is http://svfan.ru/. My profile for example is http://svfan.ru/players/1157251-thegasmask/profile.html and thanks to Chrome's auto translate I can actually read it!

BadLlama posted:

So how is this game currently? I bought it a year ago? When it was just a $10 thing but didn't bother to download it because I assumed it was lovely and was hoping after some development time it would be good. Is it good?

I think it's pretty awesome all things considered. As it's beta there's still a lot of work to go, but the 0.27 update with a bunch of added stuff is going public somewhat soon. I have a major soft-spot for Eastern European games though, so that colors my perception quite a bit.

Also side note, I need one more person in the Clowns of Survarium clan to enable it! It's all paid for, so if you want to use decals to look absurd and have some people to always play with, join up! In-game I'm theGASMASK, just friend me and I'll add you to the clan.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

hopterque posted:

I'm gonna add you in game once I've got it all patched up, same name as here.

Added to friends/clan! We finally got 5 people!

Now that I've had some time with the update, I'm sort of neutral. I like the award system, I don't like them taking away gold and daily rewards, the new mission system is meh because I like running through them quickly and having lots of options, the new guns (especially gold ones) are pointless, and research can be fun. There are tons of AFK people (we had one match where there were 6 AFK/silver bots), and I've never seen so many people exploit the matchmaking system by tossing on super high level gear at the last second. In fact I was in a squad and we played around 5 lvl 0-2 games, and every single one had some guy with lvl 15 armor, guns, etc topping the scoreboard. What ties into that (as a direct result) is spawnkilling is still a huge issue; though not as much in level 9+ matches, because people can't break it by being 10+ levels in gear higher.

While I still enjoy this a bunch and I've got a ton of people to play with (my friends list has ~10 people in all different timezones), until they start being proactive about exploits and cheating it's going to be frustrating more often than not.
As a side note, before the update dropped I checked the ban list, and it was pretty much a who's who of the "best" players of my previous dozen games. Always report, and if it's especially egregious post on the Survarium forums about it.

The CoS clan needs to be leveled up a hair before I can add more people. I have DarkDobe on the list as the first person in once it's able to accept more... didn't realize amount of members is entirely based on how well the people do in the clan itself. That's sort of retarded. It limits non-serious clans like this one, and considering there's no way this game is going to become a tourney game it's a loving bizarre design choice.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 3, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Naturally Selected posted:

Decided to give this a try-looks pretty cool so far, but I have a question: is there any way to set ironsights mode to toggle? Not finding it in options so far, and my mouse can be a bit temperamental (logitech switches :argh: ) with holding rmb the entire time.

Yes - The "Hold" keybind in options means holding the button down. There's another aim bind somewhere else on the list that's just "Aim" (I believe), and that's what you want. Same with crouch.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Got the Terminator perk (let's you use 2 primary weapons on a profile) and it's made this hella more fun. I'll generally run Rem700 (or SV98)+PP2000 on first and Vepr+Bernelli (I think) shotgun on second. I'm finally able to cover all ranges with one profile and no longer screwed when a small map comes up.

Also discovered how important low weight is. I aim to keep it around 19-22 with some +kg mods on my stuff. It's pretty apparent when people are overweight, they're slow and so much easier to hit. The best players almost always run a low weight build. Also, the Marauder container* is the mark of people who don't take that into consideration.

*Marauder container lost an item slot with the update but still weighs 5Kg, so it's not worth using.

E: Clan is leveled up, sent out a couple more invites.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 5, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Since this is still early early beta there's been all sorts of rumors about what features are coming. Direct from devs I've heard that character customization (no more army of clones!) and weapon customization are on the list of eventual features. No timetable, but I'd assume those will be in before the game makes it to steam. Right now we're limited to weapon mods which are just minor stat boosts, though it's possible to luck out and create a death-dealing machine.

Our CoS clan is ranked #315 out of 1276! A hell of a lot better than I was expecting, probably because we all tend to play pretty well, even with looking stupid and occasionally trolling the hell out of everyone. We have 5 more slots open at this current level, so any goons that play this that want in just friend theGASMASK in game.

Some tips for newbies:
  • One of the most important weapon mod stats is distance. It increases the range that the gun will do full damage (i.e. extending the falloff), and can be the difference between getting a kill and getting killed. It goes up to 25% so on something like the Remington 700, which has a distance of 100m base, it brings it to 125m. This will let you get kills across most maps in 1 shot, maybe 2 depending on where you hit the target.
  • The Bleed modifiers really don't seem to do much. Once you start bleeding, you're dead unless you can mash a medkit quick enough.
  • Medkits are now pretty clutch. BUT, they take time to kick in, 2-3 seconds depending on which one. If you're bleeding out quickly don't waste one, but if you know you won't die within 3 seconds, use it to keep you alive.
  • The Marauder pack is pointless unless you have a -4kg or higher weight modifier.
  • Isolation is for stuff like the hot ground on that one larger outdoor map. It's not integral to have, but keeping a medium isolation means you can traverse areas that would otherwise kill you instantly.
  • Oxygen tanks are extremely situational. If you plan on going for artifacts it's worth having a profile with a tank, but otherwise they don't offer any benefits.
  • If you have a Logitech (or similar) mouse with forward and back buttons, bind melee to M4 and grenade to M5. This will make killing a little easier, and also allow running around like crazy while punching and throwing nades. You could also attempt to bind medkits to a button, but you'd need to pay attention to which slot you put the item in.
  • ALWAYS mod a set of free weapons to orange/gold. It barely costs anything, and will make the early game much easier.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

This server stuff is most bad for clans it seems, splitting them up and locking them to one region. I guess CoS is going to be US based since that's where I am, right now I'm on the EU server until US goes live. Figured out that the game had put me on CIS when I first started, now that I'm on a closer server my ping has hovered around 110-130. Also took a few days off as life got in the way, but I'm trying to get a few games in here and there.

DarkDobe, I'm pretty impressed with how much you've figured out!

In terms of why gold is more ideal (though I'm of the mind that you definitely don't need to spend anything to do well or upgrade your gear):
When you have two items of the same color (ALWAYS DO THIS FOR UPGRADES!! Chances are double than if you used a different colored item) and you do the upgrade, it's a 50% to work and 25% to take away stats using silver. People seem to have the most trouble comprehending what 50% actually means. In effect, it's a coin flip. Yes/No. 0/1. Previous rolls don't modify it in any way, so out of 10 tries you're not going to have 5 upgrades. After a couple thousand you'll approach 50%, but in practice you're as likely to get 10 fails in a row.

This has created some utterly stupid drama on the official forums, as people literally can't understand this. To them, 50% means it will be yes half the time, and if it's not the game must be cheating them out of it.

E:
Some advice for snipers:
• Under level 10 (maybe above since I haven't gotten further), the Remington700 is an absolute beast. It has less kick and faster bolt-cocking than the SV98, so you're not as exposed in between shots. With a 25% distance mod you can do full damage quite a ways across a map.
• Don't stay scoped. Find a target before you scope-in. Pick someone that's still, moving in relatively straight lines, or a danger to teammates/objectives. Once you're zoomed, either slowly drag the crosshairs across them and click when it's centered (for stationary/following shots) or aim ahead of them and wait for them to move into the center (for running dudes). Trying to hit the perfect shot by jerking around or trying to center on the head wastes too much time, it's way easier to let them do all the work of running into your sights! With the addition of bleeding a bodyshot can kill most dudes, and if it doesn't you've weakened them for another shot/teammates' bullets.
• After a few kills, move. You may be one hell of a crack shot, but that dude you sniped is going to sneak around and kill your camping rear end if you just sit there. This also gives the benefit of more kills - those guys you just killed are going to go to your old spot, and you can kill them again from a different location when they do!
• Bullet physics have been messed up. You no longer need to lead much, just a hair ahead at very far distances (like across the map with the big marsh and the church). It's not quite hitscan, but closer.
• Pay attention to friendlies using the minimap. It should go without saying, but when I'm covering an area from the enemy side and a teammate runs up and shoots me, I get kinda annoyed. Doubly so when they say "Oh, I didn't expect a teammate there!". On the flipside, I feel like an rear end when someone runs into my sights and that enemy headshot becomes a friendly one, or I react without thinking to motion because I didn't check the map.
• As a sniper, it should be your job to clear a path to the goals. If a teammate is carrying a battery, don't pick off stragglers. Get over there and get the dudes chasing after them. If a group of friendlies is going for a cap, scout ahead a little and pick off attackers, get them shooting at you instead. Throw yourself in front of the enemies if needed; I've helped us win by distracting enemies enough that our team can slip right by.
• Once you know the maps you can countersnipe. Most snipers are super-predictable, so once you know where they camp you can pick them off and make things easier for your team. There are certain spots which are rarely used but provide tons of cover, so figure those out (watch replays of good players if you have to) and keep an eye on them. They're usually on a different plane than most of the field, so people don't tend to look there. Think stuff high up, or low and off to the side. Some trees are "climbable", so if you keep on getting sniped but are sure you've looked everywhere, check the trees.
• Finally, never ever run with your rifle out unless you're sure that the coast is clear. In fact, only take out the rifle when you have a target. Early on I'd use the small shotgun as my secondary and use that for close encounters, but with the terminator perk I use the PP2000. It's great to watch people fumble and try to get out a secondary fast enough when I blow up their spot.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 19, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Rudnya - I think it's across the little ditch by E (or on the other side of that building), but there's a tiny shrub looking at the battery point/shack area. That team always runs past it on the way out, so it's a prime three-kill camping spot. You're nearly impossible to see at first since it's at an odd angle and there's a shrub.

Chemical Plant - the tanks on the red side bottom have pipes leading from the hills next to them across the tanks. They're elevated like 10--5 feet and you get to them by jumping on the pipes/little platform and walking across.

Fort - on one of the far sides (the higher up "garden" area that's a charger station), there's a tree stump next to some rocks. By jumping on the rocks, then using a bit of momentum to jump-throw yourself, you can get on the stump, which has a huge "shield" covering the front. From there you can cover all 3 entrances by standing up, and you're nearly impossible to see. You can even see all 6 battery slots so you can stay hidden until you're sure a battery has spawned.

Cologne - this is a bit harder to describe. A little ways up on one side, there's a tilted train and a tree with low branches a few feet to the right of it. You can jump from the train to the tree, then climb up the branches. This is almost completely covered, and I watched a dude get like 15 kills in a row from that spot.

Vostok - In Protect charger mode, the battery charger in the fenced generator area (A in research) is up against a generator. By jumping on the charger, you can leapfrog up onto the generator. You're above head height, wires and poo poo block enemy visibility, and you have line of site to all fence-holes/entrances.

E: Totally forgot to mention, every update so far has modified maps. From moving barriers to major architecture shifts. I still haven't run through the full set in all modes, so this latest patch could've removed some of these.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Oh, I totally forgot about Rudnya's most underutilized hiding spot: over by the church, sort of behind it and towards the spawn, there's a collapsed stone wall at an angle, with a bush in front. You can jump on the wall and be completely hidden from the approaching team (best if you're the team that starts by the shack on the hill). When dudes try to sneak up to snipe from the church, they'll almost always run by you, and you'll be at such an angle that they won't see you unless they turn around. You're up against the invisible wall so movement is limited, but it's entirely possible to get 6-8 kills from that spot before you're noticed.

E: this game allows minor climbing, if you jump at something and its waist height or higher. @ chemical plant this means the broken walkway outside/in front of the spawns is 100% reachable, just takes a leap of faith!

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 20, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bumping this since Steam release, update and NA servers go live tomorrow (April 2nd).

Will be doing a nighttime CoS thing (around 8pm EST) for any newbies who want to squad up/need a hand. As long as the release isn't broken... Anyone else is welcome to join! Steam name is A Slothful Bong, Survarium name is theGASMASK.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 1, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

hopterque posted:

Neat!

Is it a big update for the steam launch?

As far as I can tell, it's NA servers, some sync issues fixed and maybe a few small other things. Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything huge.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Texibus posted:

Y'all enjoy this, what would you compare it to?

As of right now it's strictly PvP TDM, CTF, and Hold Area modes. Gameplay/handling itself is I guess more on the Arma or Stalker side of things than BF or CoD, with actual weight and inertia to the character.
It's also pretty hard. Think one hit kills, no fast regen, and wounding of different body parts. Echolocation is critical and the best players will rely on sound as much as sight. Running and gunning will get you killed quickly, so expect to creep around a lot, but when firefights erupt you either haul rear end out after killing or die yourself.
Also be prepared to die a lot of "cheap" deaths and assume that it's half hackers.

Note: Steam release could make it easier thanks to an influx of new players, or worse due to olds going in and stomping everyone.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

vandalism posted:

This is a pretty good game.

We got a steam group or mumble?

A clan ingame (as of right now only SA members) called Clowns of Survarium, there's a steam group but I don't know if it's still active, and for the clan I got some TS info.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

vandalism posted:

Could you invite Space Ham to the clan?

Sure thing, I'll add you as a friend, then add to clan and you should get something asking to accept.
E: make sure you're on the U.S. server (if you're in US). It can be set on the forums if you haven't already made a forum account.
Hah I guess adding friends is broken and they need to talk in general chat so they can be added

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

There's some buggy crap going on with friends right now - if you're a new player or are new to the U.S. server (so everyone who switched), it won't let you search for people using the search bar in friends tab. You have to add them through chat. It eventually goes away, but for the next couple days it may be impossible to get all the SA peeps together unless we're on at same time and in chat together. It went away for me after a day, but I still can't search for Space Ham.

Had an admin say there was no bug, even though I literally presented him with direct evidence and had another player do the same. These guys really have their head up their own asses, this game is bug free and perfect according to them...

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Robot Randy posted:

people who use snipers are the hemorrhoids on the distended rear end in a top hat of survarium

I'm a sniper, and I have to agree. There's way too much camping in base, terrified of getting shot. Or guys that never once go for an objective, don't provide cover fire, and tend to die twice as often as they kill.

That's why being a countersniper is so satisfying :cool:. They're the easiest to pick off, and it frees up my team to take alternate routes.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just got the ability to queue into the defense (?) game type, the first alternative you unlock from death matching. No one plays it? In death match I get a game up almost immediately, but I waited 10 minutes and never found a match in this new game mode. Do people play nothing but death match?

Hopefully VG will realize that locking new players to TDM for 10 matches was a terrible idea. What happens is even at higher levels they don't realize they can check the different modes, so they're only doing TDM forever and ever. I love research and even have a blast with both battery modes, so I'm in the same boat waiting for people to figure out that the game isn't just TDM.

Now that DarkDobe is back in clan and can recruit, anyone that wants in on the clan can go to either of us. I still can't find you or Space Ham so I think it's taking forever to propagate through the servers, but with DarkDobe's Sweatermans group we can coordinate playing that way.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

So far as I know you can friend and clan, but you will be forced to play on the clan's region?

I think this is how it works - if someone wanted to join CoS, they'd have to play on the US servers. As ping makes a huuuuuge difference in this game, I'd recommend non-US goons to make their own clan.

E: There's a clan match game mode, I have no idea if it lets cross-server clans play against each other, but if so and there's an EU goon clan we could scrim occasionally.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bolow posted:

The loving Kiparis is goddamn bullshit and makes me agitated about video games

Also I'm so loving indecisive on picking Fringe or Renaissance Army

If you get a little extra silver, try to mod to an orange Kip with +25 distance, faster fire speed and higher armor piercing (distance as #1). There's a damage falloff, and extending max distance extends that. For example, something with 100m distance will do full damage within that range, and every meter after will drop of a bit. Getting it to 125m makes a huge difference, and for example on my Remington 700 it means I can get OHK on some seriously long range shots (depending on armor of course). Even 40m to 50m distance will be noticeable.

The Kip is definitely OP though. I can use it comfortably up to around lvl 8 thanks to predictable recoil and decent RoF. When doing an equip lvl 5 profile it's a killing machine, often taking priority to whatever rifle I've chosen for primary slot.

E: Once you get the PP2000, try using that for a while. It's one of the most accurate SMGs in the game with very little recoil, and on a map like Cologne will have no problem hitting a guy camping their spawn from right in front of yours. Some people will find the SR2M or MP5 more to their liking, but I think the PP2000 is the best of the lot.
Note: I haven't gone beyond lvl10 gear for the most part, so I have no comment on the higher level SMGs.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 4, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

Wait... there is an MP5 now? Is that also a rare drop? I've not seen one yet but I'd love to get my hands on some over-engineered german submachinegun tech.

I'm an idiot, I meant UMP45. Wasn't in game, never really use it, just had a vague recollection of the shape of the gun and thought "oh, MP5!". Though I guess as the UMP45 was the evolution of the MP5 it works, kinda?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Huh, that's super useful to know. I'd been trying to get additional move speed on some items that already had it.

Finally got a research match again last night, first since Steam. Looks like people are hitting lvls 4-6 now, and I've been able to find games in that block under a minute now. I'm not sure where the level dropoff is since I'd already gotten to lvl10 on both Fringe and Army before the rep change, but it may be quite a while before the majority have leveled up that much.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Naturally Selected posted:

So the Survarium site keeps saying that my native region is Europe. Is there a way to change that, because I'm not seeing the option. Would really rather not have to create a new account, since I have a bunch of stuff and some gold on it already.

E: Nevermind. Linked my accounts and I'm at level zero :suicide: gently caress my life.

That definitely shouldn't happen, I'd email support. It kept all my stuff, so something messed up in your case. From what I've seen they're decent about fixing these kind of issues.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bolow posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo nevermind I can actually bring a second usable item, I just didn't notice the empty black bar I had to click on to fill it. Jesus this UI is loving awful

The UI is responsible for like 3/4 of the complaints in this game, it's amazing. Nothing is clear, so even figuring out how to add ammo to a gun or upgrade or modify is strictly trial and error. The questions I get in chat just shouldn't happen, when you have new players who can't figure out how to play because you need to set the ammo first you know you've hosed up.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I'm hoping they change how the MM stuff works, right now I have to use lvl10+ equip to do the missions, which means I'm getting matched against complete noobs most of the time - except for my last 2 games. Don't know if it's because someone was downloading something at my place or what, but even though my ping said 30 I was getting tons of phantom kills and it felt like I was moving through molasses. Like it used to be! Reminded me how much I don't miss that, as really all I could do was rage as I unloaded a full clip of PP2000 into someone at like 30m, had a kill indicator so I went to reload, and had a "huh??" moment when they looked at me for a full two seconds then got a clear headshot :(.

I'm guessing medkits also play into these situations a lot more now that they're instant, but you'd think the game would withhold a kill indicator until the party is actually dead - I'm thinking it shows when you've done a certain amount of damage (100), but if they used a medkit when they were down to 30 life and were able to get up enough before more bullets connected, the game would tell you "Oh, they're totally dead!" when they're not. Seems like a side effect of server-side calculations for actual damage, but client-side for what it displays before the results get back from the server.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Megafunk posted:

I am so happy I got a Remington 700 in a drop way before I can actually buy it normally. This thing oneshots just about everybody at medium range.

I'm at gear lvl 11 and still use the Remington 700/PP2000 exclusively. Though it's bolt-action, it's got one hell of a punch and with a distance mod can OHK people pretty much anywhere on a map. Best aiming technique is to strafe side to side on level with their upper body, and click when it's right over them. It creates a moving target so they can't hit you as easily, and since 90% of people will be crouched and standing still hitting them is very easy.

E: I wish I could enjoy the SR2M, but the sights just don't work for me. They feel too blocky, and I just do so much better with the PP2000. Hoping 0.28 brings some sight changes since at least 2 of the guns have their sights off to the left of actual bullet projection.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

The flow of this game is different, even when you're camping you need to be searching for active threats and planning your next move, so unless it's a total one way stomp there's a fair amount of unbroken action. But new players haven't figured this out, so they're easy pickings.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Yay, more pubbie stomping! Nice to hear goons are wrecking poo poo, I feel like this game has some of the most adrenaline-heart-pounding moments when you get into the zone (get it??!!)

It's the sweaters. They give us the power of dad-aim. Now if only there were cargo shorts...

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

That's why I recommend headphones if you got 'em. The lack of ambient noise makes for a way more tactical sneakathon. I can't think of any recent game off the top of my head (besides STALKER) that puts sound/location this far in the forefront. Usually there's music or background chatter - here there are occasionally wind noises or dogs off in the distance, but it's rare enough that it doesn't block the game sounds.

E: it's funny, this is what I try to explain to new players who toss hacking accusations in general chat. Sure, your CoD or BF4 has some minor echolocation possibilities, but there's generally too much going on to make it a focus. Here you can become ninja blind-God with a little practice, which gives off an ESP vibe to players who've ignored that so far.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 15, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Atlasesque posted:

Got it, it's completely useless.

It'd still be nice to see the math for armor/isolation.

Yeah, I remember seeing your name. Unfortunately, that's super standard in this game, from what I can tell.

There was a guy on the enemy team for one of my games that went 35-4, and we had a teamkiller on our team, and we still won.

If you want, we can try to get a SA clan going.

For the CoS clan I believe any of us can invite new people, so you'll be in it soon :-). One issue is the friends list searching, that hasn't been working so you might need to talk in general chat for us to add.

All of us seem to be pretty masterful at rear end-kicking, so once we've got a full roster and poo poo I'd like to do some clan battles. I'm pretty sure since the Steam update I've only had one game with a sub 1 kdr, and the majority of my matches have been 25-50 kills and 5-10 deaths.

E: Vepr is pretty awesome and has good sights for a rifle. It's my other secondary when I want a switch up from the PP2000.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 16, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

US server is gone for the moment, all US players are routed to EU. Been going on for a few days I guess but VG only just said they were doing it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

From what I've heard on the forums, US is gone until 0.28v (whatever that means), because players were complaining about wait times. I don't believe that means we're getting them back with the next patch, just the way the devs phrased things.

Kind of a boner of a situation. Opening it up to steam with the draw of US servers, taking them down with no comment for 2 days, then finally saying "too few people, be back in future" rubs me the wrong way. It's also caused a bunch of people to quit. We have experience with high pings so we can adapt, but it requires a huge change in play type which most newbies won't put up with.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Lol a dude in that thread said that if there were "females" in Survarium, they should be realistic like the women in Mass Effect. I'm dying here!

Official forums are a cesspool of idiots. One of the newer mods (holy poo poo do they go through them quick - in the few months I've played I've seen around 4 dudes come and go) has been calling out the devs tho, which is good. Problem is the devs literally don't care about anyone but CIS players. They're active on the CIS forums, work with Russian and Ukraine players more, explain what's going on, etc etc. But when it comes to the non-CIS market they have Joe and like 2 mods (that don't know anything at all since it's unpaid volunteer moderating) that speak English. Oh and I guess the sound designer speaks a little, but he only posts on Steam community forum things.

E: you know what, considering how women in games used to be nothing but buxom trophies for the player to ogle, Mass Effect is definitely a step in the right direction. Still hypersexualized, but that's a societal issue now. Still find the comment funny though, maybe dude wants to dialogwheel bang future Survarium women?

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 21, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Double posting here, but tons of the Survarium promo art has women in Stalker suits. It's seemed to be a goal from the beginning. Sucks for that guy!

E: man, people are dumb. Never thought that I'd see a dude just refuse to accept there's bullet drop and travel time in this game. Even when I gave a link to a dev confirming that the game has it, guy wouldn't read link and just said "do you believe everything the devs say???" No fuckhead, I go based on playing the goddamn game. Christ.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 21, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bumping for 0.28 dropping. Load up and get it now!

Brief thoughts:
• Matchmaking is 10x better and quicker with the shrink down to 10 levels
• Nerfs and changes to guns and armor have made things interesting - will need more time to explore this
• Traps are now one hit kill - watch out!
• The after-match drop setup is better. Choose a spot on the map out of like 5 or so, get an item! You get to see what is available first, so it just randomizes locations. Missed a SOCOM earlier, was real bummed about that :argh:
• There's still the annoying chat crash bug
• They did a little work to the netcode, it seems smoother and slightly less weird at 110 ping. Still have some phantom kills but it's better
• Netcode still sucks though, and I hate when I get the drop on someone only to have there be a 1/4" delay in clicking the mouse to the server getting the "shoot" command
• No US servers - back at some point in future?
• Ranked matches apparently not out till april 30th. I was really looking forwards to getting up there on the scoreboard
• New Leagues look interesting, not sure how much it's gonna gently caress the playerbase though. Probably a ton.

Also :downsgun: is the perfect Survarium netcode representation.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Some times (east coast evening) the game seems much more stable ping wise, even though it's still 100-110 for me. Right now it seems like things are taking too long to hit the server. Might be too many people on right now for us US guys to play smoothly.

I'm loving the drops now, just being able to see the things I might get scratches that collectable itch. Repair times seem to have been increased though - my fancy new armor drop is taking 18 hours to fix.

E: those games we played were brutal though. Nothing went my way, had tons of "hitmarkers get bigger and bigger and it's gonna be a ki... Oh wait now it's the tiniest one and you only did 10 damage, plus you died."

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bolow posted:

Shotguns also seem to be absolutely dominating people right now

First time I've ever died repeatedly to someone wielding the Benelli. Might need to start rockin one myself.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Remember, now you can mod any stat on an item! Make those orange guns even better, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Jesus, you were saying how bad it was but I hadn't actually seen it yet. How the hell do you aim at something that's moving? That's far too small a hole to acquire a target and if they move left or right you're boned.

One of the other changes, the Vepr, is also off. With the slight FOV change and zoom they added it's still uncomfortable to aim, but slightly less so than before. They don't realize that to make it usable they have to keep the area around the target open. Make it wide enough that if you're tracking something you can see where it goes and not have metal bits blocking poo poo. It's one of the most basic features in an FPS, but one so many devs get wrong.

• Locked thread