Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Survarium is a poorly-named upcoming Free-To-Play MMOFPS survival game (Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter) being developed by Vostok Games, a group of developers who have left GSC Game World to form a new studio and continue their vision of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise under a different name and model.

Because of an inability to come to agreement about the use of the 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' intellectual property between the developers at GSC and its CEO, Sergei 'Judas' Grigorovich, the STALKER 2 project was frozen and development cancelled.

Survarium is the result, as described on its website:

quote:

Survarium is a F2P MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass-scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known.
Impassable woods advance onto cities from every side, maddened animals and birds attack industrial complexes, military structures, warehouses and power plants.
Strange plants and mushrooms grow through concrete and steel.
Scientists all over the world haplessly try to cope with the anomaly sprawling across the Earth with terrifying speed.
Countries collapse, anarchy spreads throughout the world. Now force dictates who to survive.
The game is developed with a new proprietary Vostok Engine technology and is planned for release on PC at the end of 2013.

As of today, you can purchase beta access which includes PVP objective-based game play. Gun play is quite nice and the engine is great. I can definitely see where they've invested their time. Unfortunately, free-play is not included but will be sometime soon.

https://shop.survarium.com/en/

It's $10 for the beta access but you get credited back your $10 in "Golden Rubles" which will be used for the cosmetics store later on. Why not?

By the way, my in game name is AlexanderDeLarge in case anyone wants to group up tomorrow. Will update the OP when it's not 4AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

pertinent posted:

Before you spend money and get angry

I'm really surprised. I get around 100-150 ping at most when I play and I'm in Phoenix AZ

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zerric posted:

Just picked this up and got enough money to get the TOZ and a couple pieces of armor. Seems pretty fun so far but I should've probably waited till I had enough for the AKS

Even if you can afford that, you'll want to use it only when you have a clear shot. The ammo is quite expensive compared to the starter pistol. I made the same mistake as you and eventually fixed it, but I found it wasn't a mistake at all.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

I'm sticking to the 'poor Ukranian devs need to eat too' explanation, though.
If anyone is in game, add me there! DarkDobe in there too obviously enough.

I love how if you switch the country outside of the United States, you never see anything like that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

The Ranger posted:

Oh man. I love the living poo poo out of STALKER but everything I've read about this indicates that it's pretty much PVP-only at this point. Devs are claiming that some new areas and a questing system are going to be inserted to promote PVE both solo and in groups... any word on this?

From what I understand, Survarium is going to have a free play option that will be similar to Day-Z/STALKER once the main story has been completed.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Is there any benefit to playing now versus waiting for freeroam?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
They say they're going to show off freeplay in the near future and it will be released in 2016, but it doesn't change the fact that we've seen more from Tarkov in the 4 months since announcement than we've seen in 4 years of Survarium.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Speaking of why doesn't tarkov have a hype thread yet?

Because it wouldn't survive the games section and it doesn't belong in the MMO section. Potentially, Survarium's free play will.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Triple A posted:

That is, if it gets released before the end of 2018.

I've been giving the devs tons of poo poo on Facebook about how we've seen more from a recently announced game than the freeplay mode (which is the reason anyone is interested in it) and they insist it'll be the focus of future devlogs after this upcoming 0.40 release. That's progress at least.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Bigger news is that they said they'd start talking about freeplay after 0.40 so at least that's something.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mordja posted:

Not gonna lie, the lack of TACTICOOL OPERATOR ATTACHMENTS for all the guns was part of the appeal to me, after playing so many other shooters it made it stand out. Totally understand why they were added, though.

If freeplay actually exists, it'll be nice to have these features

It'd be nice to be able to disable them in structured PVP though.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I love how they're so defensive about their decision to focus on pvp. Oh well. We've seen more freeplay from Escape from Tarkov in six months than we've seen from this in four years.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jehde posted:

How dead and stagnant is this game to a North American player that hasn't played in a year? I still have this game installed and this thread bookmarked for some reason.

Still in "concept phase" for the free play PVE stuff (the only thing people outside Eastern European gave a gently caress about). Oh well. Escape from Tarkov is coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyJEzZq3sQ

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Where's the thread?

It's coming. Waiting until I get my hands on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

I'm afraid you have reached your thread creation count for this forum. Sorry.

I'll close the thread for Dual Universe to open up a slot. That one didn't catch on surprisingly.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 7, 2016

• Locked thread