Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Kafouille posted:

Some guns have a forced miss radius, that's the case with the minigun in the base game

I have nearly 2000 hours and this is the first time ive seen pawns full auto things and hit 0 shots, i dont think bows have a missed shot radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's bizarre :psyduck: If you shoot at another person, does it create a report?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Danaru posted:

That's bizarre :psyduck: If you shoot at another person, does it create a report?

yeah it's very strange, the log says that it cant play sounds for the greatbow (from VWE) but it does, even using a vanilla weapon doesnt work AND it doesnt show up in the log. A boomerang from Primitive Workbenches DOES work tho?

Okay some of these mods got updated to 1.5 and i think that's creating Some Issues when it comes to starting a new 1.4 run

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 28, 2024

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The second Anomaly preview is up, spoilers as usual.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793914025

They seem to really be pushing the 'get out on the world map' so I hope they do a lot that improves caravanning.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Looks like the release date is April 11th. Not sure if that was mentioned before or just the "its a month away".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Geomancing posted:

The second Anomaly preview is up, spoilers as usual.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793914025

They seem to really be pushing the 'get out on the world map' so I hope they do a lot that improves caravanning.

so if i'm reading this right, a viable base defense option is now "the only path into your base passes through a giant pile of corpses with some deadlife IEDs that reanimates the entire pile to eat whoever just showed up, thus adding to the pile"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Geomancing posted:

The beta patch is already out. They have not in fact done anything to improve caravanning besides adding one button that lets you form a caravan in a different place.

I'm surprised at just how underwhelming the entirety of the new features are. I knew the stuff they were concentrating on was atmospheric combat challenges, and I'm not surprised those aren't interesting to me, but going over the rewards... there is nothing there that would actually make managing a colony remotely more enjoyable. Just weapons and some generic boosts.

If I can't use zombies to work or haul, what's the point?

If we learn that these 'ghouls' can in fact haul in the next update I will reverse my opinion on this whole expansion. All I'm looking for is something fun and rewarding that isn't just fighting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm fairly concerned about this mechanic that silently just kills one or more of your colonists, randomly :stare:
interesting gimmick but wow no I won't be doing that beyond maybe one time to check it out, I don't usually play Rimworld treating my colonists are completely disposable
e: maybe it's not fatal/permanent brain wrecking :shrug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Anomaly adding an entire industry based on capturing and exploiting eldritch abominations is super rad, actually, and I'm extremely excited for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tech topic for "atmospheric heater" :hmmyes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Looks like VE's updates are going pretty smoothly :toot:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

quote:

Metalblood serum:
Makes a person resilient to damage, but vulnerable to fire.

I guess steel is supposed to burn on the Rim. :thunk:

It does seem like you shouldn't get too attached to your pawns with some of these anomalies. Maybe the DLC will also make resurrector serums more accessible though.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Looking at the techs they’re previewing, I’m wondering if the idea is that, by poking the bear and bringing anomalies down on yourself, you gain tools that are highly efficient against normal raids—which would give you the room to refocus against the escalating anomalies instead. Something’s got to give if you’re expected to start building more security inwards, right?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Eiba posted:

If we learn that these 'ghouls' can in fact haul in the next update I will reverse my opinion on this whole expansion. All I'm looking for is something fun and rewarding that isn't just fighting.

One of the screenshots in the preview is for Ghoul infusion and it specifically describes them as incapable of doing work. :eng99:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This update mentions being able to create weapons that cause berserk, psychic shock, as well as psychic animal pulsers. Seems cool! Those and zombification mortars/ieds are very powerful defensive tools

It sounds like you also can turn monsters into electrical generators that's sweet

Ghouls are being discussed in a future update so I wouldn't put much thought into them yet - there are Ghoul Enhancement research items so the implication is that you can create an incredible melee combatant at the cost that they'll do no work, reminding me of Warcaskets but it's a zombie-like person.

I'm also intrigued by the mention of outdoor heating, is the temperature system getting overhauled or are we getting an item that changes the temperature of the whole colony tile?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i will never do evil actions while playing rimworld you cannot compel to this. Even if it's something like putting a clearly insane and deadly monster in the punishment sphere to get free electricity

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Quick question: What was the name of the mod or mods which gave factions/raids a limited pool of manpower to draw from?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SkySteak posted:

Quick question: What was the name of the mod or mods which gave factions/raids a limited pool of manpower to draw from?

Faction Resources, it's been out of date and slightly busted for a while though :negative:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i will never do evil actions while playing rimworld you cannot compel to this. Even if it's something like putting a clearly insane and deadly monster in the punishment sphere to get free electricity

That monster now won't slaughter any more villages and will provide a clean and renewable source of electricity so that orphan Timmy (whose parents were probably eaten by a monster like that) won't freeze to death next volcanic winter. Where is the evil? :confused:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I play pretty nicely for the most part, but you better loving believe that those refugees who betrayed my trust and killed my pet guinea pig got turned into Seamus from Family Guy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Never turn your back on a Highmate :ohdear:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's inhumane. Blow up the monster instead.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I play pretty nicely for the most part, but you better loving believe that those refugees who betrayed my trust and killed my pet guinea pig got turned into Seamus from Family Guy.

oh yeah anyone kills a pet they get got.

But I usually settle for humanly getting every other colonist to beat them to death

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is there some reason my colonists never, ever, ever eat at a table even though they literally cannot get to the freezer without walking right past one?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If the table is too far away, they won't eat at it. I don't know what the exact length is, but generally I always put my food storage with an airlock opening either directly into my dining room, or a hallway next to the dining room. Ideally you'd have a fridge in the wall between the freezer and dining room!

If the table is close, it's almost certainly because of zone assignments.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Jabarto posted:

Is there some reason my colonists never, ever, ever eat at a table even though they literally cannot get to the freezer without walking right past one?

Make sure they have seating (an end table is not a stool) and that it's a safe temperature in the dining room.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sometimes a room becomes weirdly unappealing for pawns to take meals at, in a way that has nothing to do with zones, and I haven't pinned down why exactly this happens to me. I just build more tables when it does.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Sometimes a room becomes weirdly unappealing for pawns to take meals at, in a way that has nothing to do with zones, and I haven't pinned down why exactly this happens to me. I just build more tables when it does.
Sincerely feel like you can never have too many tables. I try to have the 2x1s crammed or plopped down near where people will be working so that dumbassess midway through a harvest don't accrue extra negatives.

(I feel like it's also a uniquely Rimworld thing to complain about an aspect of the game [e.g. big summer harvests on a 20/30-day tile] but enjoy mitigating it [tables!! Shelves under roofs in the farm enclosure for all that extra corn!])

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

Faction Resources, it's been out of date and slightly busted for a while though :negative:

Ah, thank you for the heads up!

Also this is a long shot, and most likely some really obscure mod interaction, but has anyone ever had an issue with work sites just not spawning? I was doing a raider ideology in a temperate forest colony (tribal) start, and I went through three seasons with absolutely no work site pop ups. I could force them to appear in [i]dev mode[i] just fine, and other quests were spawning, just not work sites themselves. Is there some sort of obscure code or mechanics that define when you start seeing them?

isndl
May 2, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Ah, thank you for the heads up!

Also this is a long shot, and most likely some really obscure mod interaction, but has anyone ever had an issue with work sites just not spawning? I was doing a raider ideology in a temperate forest colony (tribal) start, and I went through three seasons with absolutely no work site pop ups. I could force them to appear in [i]dev mode[i] just fine, and other quests were spawning, just not work sites themselves. Is there some sort of obscure code or mechanics that define when you start seeing them?

What storyteller are you using? The vanilla ones should work fine, but modded ones might not support it properly since it's a DLC addition (especially storytellers that predate the DLC).

Sometimes the storyteller does get 'stuck' for whatever reason but that shouldn't be the case if other quests were spawning normally.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

isndl posted:

What storyteller are you using? The vanilla ones should work fine, but modded ones might not support it properly since it's a DLC addition (especially storytellers that predate the DLC).

Sometimes the storyteller does get 'stuck' for whatever reason but that shouldn't be the case if other quests were spawning normally.

It was Cassandra Classic accidentally, then Randy. I do have a Medieval storyteller on but not active, albeit I am now tempted to just remove them, just in case.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm waiting for the new dlc to drop before jumping back in, but does anyone know of any mod that lets you wear a cape with marine armour? I want to do a Helldivers run when I'm back

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i finally picked this up after years of hemming and hawing. i started with the default crashed ship setting and on the 3rd difficulty and chose a temperate forest, and have kind of just waltzed through things. i have more colonists than i can even keep busy at this point and am wanting for nothing. my only mistake has been building my base into a mountain, it seemed like a good idea but the infestations are A Problem. i want to finish this first colony and then start a new one on tribal with a higher difficulty and choose a tougher biome, maybe cold bog or something i dunno.

anyway good game would recommend.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How the hell have you survived so long and ran out of things to do and being so new?

I've got like 5k hours in this and I never have enough prawns for all the work needed to be done.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You should build a base by the sea then. :haw:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How the hell have you survived so long and ran out of things to do and being so new?

I've got like 5k hours in this and I never have enough prawns for all the work needed to be done.

dunno man. i have tons of farmland, have 4 stoves set up with a forever make food bill, so food is never an issue. since 95% of my colony is built into a mountain, construction materials are never even something i need to consider, i have like 3500 marble bricks just sitting in storage. everyone has flak armor and either smgs or sniper rifles. my colony could stand to be better defended i guess, and now that i have automatic turrets that's next on my agenda. more than anything i did neglect research for a long time but i am rapidly making progress there too. i even took out the ancient temple and one of the dudes in a sleep pod is part of my colony (the rest burned to death, rip). i also have some body parts i need to replace and am researching the required tech to do exactly that, especially after my best miner lost an arm to a centipede shot.

i chose the difficulty option that was described as 'for experienced strategy players that are new to rimworld' and it's been a breeze. infestations are the only thing that really feel threatening and i dunno that i will build a mountain base again, much as i like the convenience of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're starting with normal tech and in a temperate area then yeah it's not that hard of a game necessarily, if you have access to good farmland and a long growing window it's quite easy to make a lot of food.

You can adjust the difficulty in the middle of the game if you want to, what storyteller are you using?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Danaru posted:

slightly busted in this case means that once the factions are out of resources to send at you the mod sends you mechanoid raids non-stop

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Herstory Begins Now posted:

slightly busted in this case means that once the factions are out of resources to send at you the mod sends you mechanoid raids non-stop

And in my case it glitched out and factions stopped replenishing resources at all :gonk: Oops All Mechanoids for two years before I finally figured out wtf

A fun bonus, if a faction is supposed to send a raid for a quest and they don't have enough for even one guy, it just doesn't fire and the quest system really doesn't like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OwlFancier posted:

If you're starting with normal tech and in a temperate area then yeah it's not that hard of a game necessarily, if you have access to good farmland and a long growing window it's quite easy to make a lot of food.

You can adjust the difficulty in the middle of the game if you want to, what storyteller are you using?

i could do that but tbh i'd rather finish up this playthrough and then start a new one on a higher difficulty on tribal in a harsher biome. i chose cassandra and landed in a hilly temperate forest for my first attempt, i wanted to play it a bit safe to learn what i was even doing.