Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want the more chaotic feeling of the game you might be better off with randy random, the other ones have a more structured feel to them where they won't send too much stuff at once but will send things consistently at regular intervals, as well as a steady escalation of threat.

Randy is responsible for the more entertainingly bizzare confluences of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i could do that but tbh i'd rather finish up this playthrough and then start a new one on a higher difficulty on tribal in a harsher biome. i chose cassandra and landed in a hilly temperate forest for my first attempt, i wanted to play it a bit safe to learn what i was even doing.

Cassandra slowly ramps up the threat by gradually sending bigger raids at you, there's definitely a period where the attacks just aren't very interesting or scary. But eventually you start getting diminishing returns on how fast you can research and build new guns/armor and recruit new colonists, while the enemies keep scaling up faster than you.

Things get a lot more interesting as you approach the endgame.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You can also change difficulty or story teller on the fly.

Give that a go, see if Randy drops 15 rabid Chihuahuas on your pet emu.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
once you feel like you've mastered or played out the basic "can you make a colony" experience, if you own ideology and/or biotech it's time to get into weird gimmick runs

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If you build a base in the mountains you do really only need to figure out how to deal with infestations and the game is mostly solved. If you want more of a challenge you could simply try building a base in the open so you're forced to engage with all the other kinds of threats in a more immediate way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

once you feel like you've mastered or played out the basic "can you make a colony" experience, if you own ideology and/or biotech it's time to get into weird gimmick runs

Even if you don't own any of the DLCs there's plenty of mods around to make things more interesting. Just how interesting is entirely up to you and before you know it, you've gone beyond what would've considered even possible.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Flesh Forge posted:

This!

The depth and replayability of this game is due to the ability to mould it into something absurd and watch it take off.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

To hell with these guys!

Not only did they crash through my roof, the first thing they did was light a baby on fire, a baby!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Eiba posted:

If you build a base in the mountains you do really only need to figure out how to deal with infestations and the game is mostly solved. If you want more of a challenge you could simply try building a base in the open so you're forced to engage with all the other kinds of threats in a more immediate way.

yeah. i am fairly certain infestations are there to try and make mountain bases at least somewhat tougher because without those, they'd be functionally impregnable. and even with them, my strategy of 'throw a molotov and run like hell' works great so far, i just need to remake some furniture after that and that's all.

i should also clarify that i am not like, disappointed things are going so well or anything. i like seeing my nice, dwarf fortress-esque base and how defensible it is, and it feels good positioning my snipers at the far ends of the killing tunnels i made that enemies usually funnel into and just mowing them down. i'm just surprised it has worked so well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mountain infestations were indeed added specifically to make mountain bases not an automatic impregnable fortress setup because digging into a mountain nullifies functionally every other hazard in the game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well that and breacher raids (breacher raids are way, way worse imo)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah. i am fairly certain infestations are there to try and make mountain bases at least somewhat tougher because without those, they'd be functionally impregnable. and even with them, my strategy of 'throw a molotov and run like hell' works great so far, i just need to remake some furniture after that and that's all.

i should also clarify that i am not like, disappointed things are going so well or anything. i like seeing my nice, dwarf fortress-esque base and how defensible it is, and it feels good positioning my snipers at the far ends of the killing tunnels i made that enemies usually funnel into and just mowing them down. i'm just surprised it has worked so well.

Tbh if you're only flak armour etc, I would say you're only at mid game so far..there's plenty of time for you to fail yet.

Keep researching and let us know how it goes.

When you have everyone binged out with chrome and marine armour/charge rifles, then I'd say you're at end game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I tried playing a game as a neanderthal tribe, which went pretty well right up until my first siege. The raiders are Ytakin or whatever, so I'm outnumbered 2:1 by people who can match me in melee and I have no ranged ability to speak of. I don't think my full frontal assault on their position killed a single person.

Is it just game over at this point? Does melee have any counterplay whatsoever to siege warfare?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You can sometimes go out and ping one of them and drag them back to your killbox. Sieges also have poor initial engagement so you can draw some shooters out and even up the odds a bit. Outside of that they're usually a gotcha for not researching mortars fast enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jabarto posted:

I tried playing a game as a neanderthal tribe, which went pretty well right up until my first siege. The raiders are Ytakin or whatever, so I'm outnumbered 2:1 by people who can match me in melee and I have no ranged ability to speak of. I don't think my full frontal assault on their position killed a single person.

Is it just game over at this point? Does melee have any counterplay whatsoever to siege warfare?

100% pure primitive melee is going to have a real rough time in this situation, yeah. Your best option is to probably just cut and run and abandon the map and settle one tile over. If you're still in the stone age tech area it's not like you have a lot of expensive and irreplaceable infrastructure you're leaving behind.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jabarto posted:

You bunker down and wait for them assault you then ambush people around corners and such, but without any range or anyway to close the distance under fire (smoke, jumpacks) you are hosed, yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

100% pure primitive melee is going to have a real rough time in this situation, yeah. Your best option is to probably just cut and run and abandon the map and settle one tile over. If you're still in the stone age tech area it's not like you have a lot of expensive and irreplaceable infrastructure you're leaving behind.

yeah keep in mind if you're willing, you can always do this in practically any really bad scenario, just hit da bricks
e: alternatively use dev mode to make them flee and lower your threat size difficulty a lot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doltos posted:

You can sometimes go out and ping one of them and drag them back to your killbox. Sieges also have poor initial engagement so you can draw some shooters out and even up the odds a bit. Outside of that they're usually a gotcha for not researching mortars fast enough.

I don't use mortars at all, in any colony. I don't think that you need them to counter other mortars

An all-melee colony with no shield belts or armor may have a very hard time though

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jabarto posted:

Pure tribal melee is mostly screwed, but it's fairly doable if you can mix in assistance from a quest reward like an animal pulser or orbital targeters. As tribals you should also have access to anima tree psycasters which also makes a big impact in various ways (berserk, smokepop, skipshield, etc).

You probably don't have microelectronics for a comms console to call in allies, but if you do that's also a great asset to leverage. They make great distractions while you close the distance and you can often make back the goodwill cost by rescuing anyone downed afterwards.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Animals are a great way to break sieges too, if you have a couple of rhinos they'll take care of that problem lickity split. Animal training does not require any research but it does take some effort and luck. I try to prioritize buying 1 good combat animal. e: If you have the giddyup mod then a horse can be insanely good for slow melee pawns

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 3, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

I don't use mortars at all, in any colony. I don't think that you need them to counter other mortars

An all-melee colony with no shield belts or armor may have a very hard time though

I mean yea you can just walk out if you're armored enough but I feel like most players resort to mortar v mortar, they're excellent for breaking sieges.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My go to is having a lone sniper plink away from a distance until enough of them get pissed off to start the assault, then the sniper jetpacks away. This uh, probably isn't on the cards for a tribal colony

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just realized I never made a beast master colony.
Maybe start with two people who cannot fight at all but are insanely good at animals, social and medical.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Just realized I never made a beast master colony.
Maybe start with two people who cannot fight at all but are insanely good at animals, social and medical.

Raptor shrimp from alpha animals mod are great for this.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

So this actually ended up being a very cool and teachable moment.

I should probably have clarified that I'm solidly into the industrial age and have my people equipped with flak vests and good quality steel weapons and helmets. A few have shield belts.

I decided to try and wait out the shells and see what happened. They mostly just missed and knocked over a wall or two, thenn started attacking en masse.

Long story short, I managed to split up the raiders and kill enough to force a retreat. Aside from one kid that got caught outside the walls and a bunch of my polar bears, there were no casualties. My hospital facilities are top notch thanks to my people constantly being one bad day away from ripping limbs off since the beginning, so I think the wounded will all pull through.

Looking back on it, there were a lot of tools that could have helped me. Jetpack would have probably been best, but even smokebombs would have made a big difference, and of course I could have built my own mortars. Hell, I probably could have chucked a few molotovs at the encampment and torched then out

Anyway I love my dumb indestructible cavemen so much and this game owns.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If someone made a 3d version of this with the ability to directly control a settler, I would pay an obscene amount for it.

But, like Dwarf Fortress, the complexity bars that from happening any time soon.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Aaaaaand I immediately got hit with another, bigger siege. Guess this colony is done for, but it was a hell of a ride.

Gonna lasso everyone up and send them out in a blaze of glory.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
learning rimworld is basically just making colonies and learning all the different things that can kill them in the various stages of the game, which it sounds like you've been getting a good sense for

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Anyway I love my dumb indestructible cavemen so much and this game owns.

It's frustrating how there’s a pretty interesting game experience with playing low tech slow advancing tribals but the vanilla game absolutely does not want you to have that, you have to either turn to mods or just remove the gun having factions (or just enjoy inevitably losing)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Flesh Forge posted:

It's frustrating how there’s a pretty interesting game experience with playing low tech slow advancing tribals but the vanilla game absolutely does not want you to have that, you have to either turn to mods or just remove the gun having factions (or just enjoy inevitably losing)

? The game lets you do this just fine, I've done it many times. They even added Neanderthals so you can play a melee colony that has a huge advantage in that department.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Enemy sieges are more vulnerable than most raid types to one-shot relic items like manhunter pulsers or orbital beam/bombardment targeters. They usually wipe the entire siege by themselves. If you don’t find one in your Ancient Danger, they are very common to buy from exotic goods traders. Even if you’re doing a true Neolithic tech challenge run and don’t have drugs or dusters to sell, you can sell wooden sculptures without any tech investment at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grape, I know you're used to being the center of attention but please don't OD during a wedding and then immediately go in to labor, thanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
new rimworld teen moms season off to a strong start apparently

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inzombiac posted:

Grape, I know you're used to being the center of attention but please don't OD during a wedding and then immediately go in to labor, thanks.

I'm triggered by your stove being in the same room as three dirty workbenches.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

isndl posted:

I'm triggered by your stove being in the same room as three dirty workbenches.

If you keep the ground clean, it doesn't seem to matter. Now if I could just stick to one colony long enough to make specialized rooms.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

worm girl posted:

? The game lets you do this just fine, I've done it many times. They even added Neanderthals so you can play a melee colony that has a huge advantage in that department.

yeah but did you metagame the wealth mechanic
e: also did you arm your tribals with high tech equipment

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah but did you metagame the wealth mechanic
e: also did you arm your tribals with high tech equipment

I don't understand what you're driving at. If you aren't using high tech gear, you aren't likely to run up against problems with wealth. If the raids are too strong and you're still using pila and clubs, you probably have too much stuff that you're not even using and can comfortably sell. That isn't really metagaming, it's just how the game works, and it makes perfect sense that more raiders would show up according to how much loot you are hoarding.

If you are equipping your guys with high-tech gear, then they should be able to defend themselves from stronger raids.

If you are still having trouble, you can go into the storyteller settings and adjust one of the many sliders that exist to ensure that you have access to the game you'd prefer to play.

Raids have never been a problem for my tribals, it's usually disease that messes me up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can't you stack a melee defense in your favor by having 3 melee people blocking a 1-tile entrance so that the first guy is always engaged in melee with 3 of your guys? I also don't know how you can be melee only, tribal bows are no joke.

e: Oh it was a siege. Couldn't you just trigger their assault and book it back into your defense/chokepoint?

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

If you keep the ground clean, it doesn't seem to matter. Now if I could just stick to one colony long enough to make specialized rooms.
Note that a butcher's table increases the filth rating of a room merely by existing, not just from the assorted blood and gore it leaves after use. It's not really a big deal if you have good chefs but it's something to keep in mind if you ever have an early colony of useless idiots and don't have access to paste yet.