Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jelly posted:

idk if you're serious but originally i had a wall north of the geothermal plant with a door in it which I decided to remove to see if the extra access would help and put some switches between my batteries to reduce future explosion size

yeah i know it's not ideal to have batteries next to the plant

don't fully enclose geothermal power rooms, even with a generator on they get mad hot. you can use "remove roof area" to crack open part of the roof or add in some vents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
You guys aren't kidding it was 200 degrees in that room

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

Concrete works, although it marginally improves enemy mobility when crossing the killzone. You can also use an animal pen, which allows you to designate foliage to be auto-cut. You would need to enclose the zone with walls or fences however and peg the door open so that raiders will perhaps try to walk in rather than just knocking the walls down.

It's annoying that there is no vanilla designatable zone with the auto-cut functionality.

Sokani posted:

I mark the area for roof and then only build floors on area the roof can't cover, to reduce the amount of speed increase I offer the enemy. Since I build turrets along the side and they often beeline for them, raiders don't tend to walk on the paved area much.

Yeah concrete or cobbles, or just roof is strong for this & cheap, but there's also grow zones, or at least the ones i've always used for forestry work. If you set them to cut but never plant then anything that's grown will get flagged for harvest. Not super optimal for this purpose but :shrug:

Roofing over is something I could see working well but having different trade offs. It'll be darker, may be lovely dirt. You could use slightly more costly pillars instead of walls that look cooler but don't give as much protection as actual walls would. You could maybe use switches or something to decide if you want lights on or off or just accept it'll be dark under the roof area. If the roof caves in it might cause somebody like 1 damage.

Tbh I was planning on making a 3x roofed over road to a second area on my map, with a bridge over the creek, this would be similar to that.

You can just also keep burning the map down if you're to a certain point and a total dick? Frankly if there's a way to draft pawns and make them stop fires there should be a way to draft them and start fires.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there not a mod to turn down/turn off the wealth scaling?

you can do it without mods in options/gameplay/storyteller

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Well yeah you can do that, but then there's no progression any more :shrug:
Thankfully there’s a mod specifically for this problem, "Ignorance is Bliss" which throttles most raids/sieges based on your tech level

oh yeah a link would be OK
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2554423472

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It was asked earlier what the deal with Inhuman is and the short answer is it makes colonists immune or resistant to a lot of the Anomaly stuff. A lot of the fixed precepts are just kind of flavor for cultists who give no fucks, but not caring about corpses makes shamblers a lot easier to deal with the aftermath of at least.

Inhumanizing is where the really powerful stuff happens. It has some big upsides and big downsides but overall your colonists will not suffer the negative mood effects caused by most entities.

The -50% pain means that they can be around Nociospheres without trouble.

Supposedly some entities are easier to contain at low temperatures so the -16 degrees C adjustment to the lower comfortable temperature range lets that not bother them. However, I've still noticed negative moods from "slept in the cold" at temperatures that didn't seem very low - I'm in a hot arid shrubland and sometimes passive coolers in bedrooms on colder nights make it cold enough for that, apparently.

No social interactions means that the colonist has a fixed opinion of 0 for everyone no matter what. This means no positive or negative effects result ever from social interactions. No positive or negative moods, no social fights, no romance. A colonist who goes on an insulting spree and targets an Inhumanized colonists will waste their breath as nothing will even register with the target. They don't seem to throw parties but they still get positive moods from ideology social events. As far as Anomaly content is concerned, this also means no negative moods from being near characters who have void mental breaks like insane ramblings.

But there are also an awful lot of things from Inhumanization that aren't listed that I've noticed:

No specific negative moods from things like flesh tentacles, but Body Purists will still have the general grossout from artificial body enhancements.

They can eat raw Twisted Meat and wear clothes made of Dread Leather. Other raw foods bother them, though.

The disturbing aura from Bioferrite Generators does not bother them.

Tainted clothing does not bother them. Grab all the gross Marine Armor you like off of raider corpses. They still disliked tattered clothing.

They still don't like to sleep in rooms with entities, which surprised me when I was experimenting with it. Note that friendly ghouls don't bother anyone in your faction regardless of ideology or inhumanization, but prisoners gain the sleeping near an entity negative mood if ghouls are in the prison room.

The downsides are pretty potent, though. Say goodbye to Art, Animals, and Social. You can live without animals by butchering humans and entities, but bad Art and Social are annoying. While Inhumanized colonists don't care about beauty, they still care about room impressiveness and you'll have a harder time juicing that without a good artist. Not to mention the lack of art as trade goods, though I guess human leather clothing can be used there. Bad Social means good luck recruiting or converting anyone the usual way. You can get lucky with conversion rituals but it might be a good idea to add extra rituals with new colonists as a reward, and roll the dice there. Not to mention that suppressing entities that need it is a social task!

If you set your ideology's diversity precept to neutral the Inhumanized colonists won't care if there are other members of other ideologies around, but those people will be freaking the gently caress out from essentially everything all the time which is inconvenient.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jelly posted:

Any tips for converting someone to an ideology who is particularly stubborn? Are there times you just need to cut people loose?

Stick them in a lovely prison cell so they have a bad mood, and every so often they'll get a mental break for 50% loss of certainty. If it hits 0% because of the break they'll switch to a new ideologion at random.

If their resistance to conversion was from precepts in their original ideologion you can proceed with normal conversion, but if they're naturally resistant due to traits then you might have to keep fishing until they land on yours.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Also I know some people were like "ghouls sound boring because they don't do anything but fight" my friend have you considered turning your ghoul into a whirlwind of blades and spikes that slices through hordes of enemies

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Any idea why my Fair of Life won't trigger. Says can do from 8th of Sept. It's 12 of Sept. I click on it and it says "you'll be able to start it in 56 days, on the 8th of Septober", but when I click on the "Fair of Life opportunity" tool tip it says the opportunity expires in 9 days, on the 2nd of Decembary. I have the Bumbong built.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does adding more than one bionic weapon help? Just lowers the % chance of using the best one right?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

Does adding more than one bionic weapon help? Just lowers the % chance of using the best one right?

I honestly don't know how these things work but I've never had a reason to use them before so I went a little crazy

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

As I understand it, there's a 75% chance that a pawn will use its best melee attack, and everything else is lumped together and selected at random for the remaining 25%. Adding extra bionics has fairly negligible benefits as a result, though it might make a difference if an arm gets blown off or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I guess it turns 75% power claw / 25% bite into 75% power claw / 12.5% other power claw / 12.5% bite, so slightly better.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BattleMaster posted:

Supposedly some entities are easier to contain at low temperatures so the -16 degrees C adjustment to the lower comfortable temperature range lets that not bother them. However, I've still noticed negative moods from "slept in the cold" at temperatures that didn't seem very low - I'm in a hot arid shrubland and sometimes passive coolers in bedrooms on colder nights make it cold enough for that, apparently.
Your comfortable temperature doesn't have anything to do with what temps colonists want to sleep at - the mood applies if they sleep below 60.8F/16C, regardless of clothing and (apparently) otherworldy influences.

Jelly posted:

Any idea why my Fair of Life won't trigger. Says can do from 8th of Sept. It's 12 of Sept. I click on it and it says "you'll be able to start it in 56 days, on the 8th of Septober", but when I click on the "Fair of Life opportunity" tool tip it says the opportunity expires in 9 days, on the 2nd of Decembary. I have the Bumbong built.
Do you have a regular old ritual spot? If you click that, is there an icon for the Fair of Life and if so, what does that say? If you can start it from there, you should also be able to start it from more specific furniture, but note that the burnbong may not be used for every ritual(which makes sense, because it's a consumable).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got desperate with an unstable Nociosphere so I accepted a bunch of refugees and had them try to fight it in the corner of the map

edit: Unrelated I'm getting tired of seeing the same vanity characters no matter how many times I've seen them die at my own hand in the same game. I am looking at you "Humps" the totally-hilarious camel knight

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 24, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I guess it turns 75% power claw / 25% bite into 75% power claw / 12.5% other power claw / 12.5% bite, so slightly better.

Power claws reduce move speed however, so you're taking a hit on your dodging all the time for minor gains. You're probably better off using a power claw and a bionic/archotech arm for that manipulation bonus to increase your chance to hit.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guess I'll chop the extra parts off of my ghouls and make more ghouls armed with them

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Your comfortable temperature doesn't have anything to do with what temps colonists want to sleep at - the mood applies if they sleep below 60.8F/16C, regardless of clothing and (apparently) otherworldy influences.

Do you have a regular old ritual spot? If you click that, is there an icon for the Fair of Life and if so, what does that say? If you can start it from there, you should also be able to start it from more specific furniture, but note that the burnbong may not be used for every ritual(which makes sense, because it's a consumable).

The Ritual of Life specifically requires a Bumbong or some other item I didn't have access to yet so the Bumbong was presumably my only option. The window of opportunity passed, the tooltip is gone. I did check to see if it could be done from the ritual spot even though it was pretty explicit that it couldn't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There was a post on the subreddit a week or so ago that concluded that the most efficient setup for ghouls was a powerclaw on one hand, and a wooden hand on the other.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Would a vent on an exterior wall work for venting the geothermal room? Doing a tribal game right now and just have a vent in my pantry that I open when it gets cold outside to make my food last the winter.

I don't have any DLC and mostly just checking out the 1.5 changes. Books are neat, found two so far that just let me get techs done during idle time, one for smithing and one for drug production, and a couple novels that just help with having recreation variety. And I also got a quest to make 15 steel clubs in exchange for a power cell and a thing that instantly researches a tech, so as soon as I finish researching electricity I'm popping that right on microelectronics. (No idea if that was new or not but I've never seen it before)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jelly posted:

The Ritual of Life specifically requires a Bumbong or some other item I didn't have access to yet so the Bumbong was presumably my only option. The window of opportunity passed, the tooltip is gone. I did check to see if it could be done from the ritual spot even though it was pretty explicit that it couldn't.

can you tell us about your STD collection, and if it includes "twat herpes", which I presume are different from other herpes?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Xerol posted:

Would a vent on an exterior wall work for venting the geothermal room? Doing a tribal game right now and just have a vent in my pantry that I open when it gets cold outside to make my food last the winter.

you can do this but it may not be enough. you can also build multiple vents, or set a couple of tiles to be unroofed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So we're gonna do this Polynesian mermaid thing. Through an intricate array of mod interactions I have come up with a colony of huge half-human half-fish people that worship an ancient sleeping fish god and various other things. Been cooking this idea for a while and I think I finally have the stuff to make it work the way I want (Pathfinding Framework was a big item):

map is an interaction between Biomes!: Islands and Map Designer "natural islands" to make the land area a lot smaller

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 24, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My transhumanists need more tentacles, and creepy organs with eyeballs on the inside. Can this obelisk hurry the gently caress up with it's cooldowns?!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hello everyone! I just picked this game up not too long ago. I am looking forward to doing crazy stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I made a circular structure to store wastepacks in and put two cooling fans inside to freeze them, but for some reason the temperature wouldn't go below +10C.
So I added two more, and it wouldn't go below 0C.
So I added two more and only then it managed to stay stable negative temperatures.

Then a couple of in-game years later I noticed that the building was slightly too large to be roofed, so there was always a hole in the roof there which is why it wouldn't cool the gently caress down.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Hello everyone! I just picked this game up not too long ago. I am looking forward to doing crazy stuff.

:thumbsup:

Jack Trades posted:

Then a couple of in-game years later I noticed that the building was slightly too large to be roofed, so there was always a hole in the roof there which is why it wouldn't cool the gently caress down.

there is a "show roof" overlay button on the bottom right that helps with this
e: "Toggle visibility of roofs" looks like a little house

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got a really good colonist with chronic astma in both lugs.

Fortunately we're too cool for astma.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

NachtSieger posted:

Careful, because it's more likely the game does crazy stuff to you / your pawns.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Here's the poo poo I get from Skip Abduction

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Ancient old dude was just enjoying a joint when you yanked him through a hell portal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turning him into a ghoul fixes all of that, right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You should look at the positives, like all the perfectly fine organs that aren't all wrinkly and wilted

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Flesh Forge posted:

you can do it without mods in options/gameplay/storyteller

The storyteller from Save Our Ship (who I think you can get in a standalone mod) ties raid strength to your tech level, which seems interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there not a mod to turn down/turn off the wealth scaling?

Just so you know. That will make the game more difficult, not less.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Just so you know. That will make the game more difficult, not less.

But the point seems to be to reduce how much the game increases the scale of raids as you accumulate wealth. If it also removes a reduction in the scale of raids at low wealth then that option is completely misleading and pointless. Are you sure it works like that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

But the point seems to be to reduce how much the game increases the scale of raids as you accumulate wealth. If it also removes a reduction in the scale of raids at low wealth then that option is completely misleading and pointless. Are you sure it works like that?

Yes.
By default, it scales the raid according to your wealth, both up and down, so that you get appropriate level of challenge (assuming that you aren't neglecting your defense).
How do you imagine the game will decide the strength of the raid otherwise?

Without wealth-scaling it will scale based on time instead, which will make the game more difficult as you will now have the added time pressure of having to keep up with the raising raid strength, that doesn't otherwise exists.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/AI_Storytellers

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Yes.
By default, it scales the raid according to your wealth, both up and down, so that you get appropriate level of challenge (assuming that you aren't neglecting your defense).
How do you imagine the game will decide the strength of the raid otherwise?

Without wealth-scaling it will scale based on time instead, which will make the game more difficult as you will now have the added time pressure of having to keep up with the raising raid strength, that doesn't otherwise exists.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/AI_Storytellers

Ok, but Randy already removes the time factor i thought so what happens then? I imagined it would keep the scale downwards and remove the scale upwards. The raid size would be determined by number of pawns, defences, weapons, randomness etc. was my hope. I guess if Rimworld relies entirely on wealth to calculate raids then turning off scaling won't work, but it's unfortunate that having 1 pawn with a knife and a 1000 jade gives you a massive raid.

Edit: Also i'm not suggesting to remove wealth scaling completely, but to reduce the scaling upwards without also reducing scaling downwards.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 24, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes that's my understanding too, and what I meant (though I admit, not what I actually said) when I asked if there isn't a mod that changes poo poo so that raids scale with something other than wealth, like number of pawns, tech level, caliber of available weapons/armor, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

Ok, but Randy already removes the time factor i thought so what happens then? I imagined it would keep the scale downwards and remove the scale upwards. The raid size would be determined by number of pawns, defences, weapons, randomness etc. was my hope. I guess if Rimworld relies entirely on wealth to calculate raids then turning off scaling won't work, but it's unfortunate that having 1 pawn with a knife and a 1000 jade gives you a massive raid.

I thought that too before but I recently looked it up and that's not how Randy works.
Cassandra will send extremely regular raids, that scale closely to your wealth.
Randy will send very irregular raid, that will additionally have a random 0.5-1.5x strength modifier on top of that.

On average, Randy sends as many raids as Cassandra but their strength will be more random in both directions.

There's also an additional adaptation system for all storytellers that will scale the raid strength up or down depending on how much damage you have taken.
If you're beating the raids flawlessly, the next one will be harder, and if you've taken some damage the next one will be easier. On top of wealth loss/gain.

tl;dr just lower the raid strength or overall difficulty instead.