Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
:monar:

President Ark posted:

congratulations, you kidnapped the leader of the local imperial faction!

well, considering her childhood, I'm sure she's used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Since the Skip Abduction ritual is supposed to prioritize hostile factions, are you guys that's getting Stellarchs' at war with the Empire?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Haven't played since the first expansion and now I'm back, there's been uh a lot of updates.

This is surely an annoying and often asked question - does anyone have updated tips and must-knows to get into that gamer flow. I can search for most downloaded mods on the workshop, but any mod recs focused on QOL and helping players get back into the game are much appreciated.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There really isn't a better way to do it than to pull up the Most Downloaded on the workshop and then filter for mods updated since about March 1, and just go through and pick the ones you want.

The basics of how to get your colony up and running haven't really changed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

So I accepted the Deserter before the Chased Royal quest popped, what happens if I accept this?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hop in as quickly as possible and gently caress up and be surprised often. Then introduce mods to correct things that bothered you or add things you're interested in.

I say this as somebody who often does the multi-hour mod review and full ideology/xenotype customization song and dance only to own goal myself and lose interest two hours in.

I've gotten better about such optimization phantasms and my dusk bird run is going nicely.

Broken Cog posted:

So I accepted the Deserter before the Chased Royal quest popped, what happens if I accept this?

If the fleeing noble isn't hostile then there are bad odds that the empire ceremony crew will be so you can't get the title. Just an educated guess on my end tho.

However if you're already saying gently caress the empire then they're delivering loot to you by shuttle and ceremony crews carry psylinks. :black101:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 25, 2024

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Since the Skip Abduction ritual is supposed to prioritize hostile factions, are you guys that's getting Stellarchs' at war with the Empire?

Yeah I accepted an early quest that gave me a free Hussar in exchange for hostility with the Empire, because I needed the spare body at the time. Don't really regret it, he's the best fighter in the colony by far and brings in shitloads of meat from hunting. Been playing on easy mode (started on Cassandra at Community Builder, switched to Phoebe to get some building done) so I haven't had any notable retribution come about as a result of that, and I've been working my way back into their good graces with monument quests regardless.

Apparently Skip Abduction has a fairly high chance of nabbing the leader of an enemy faction because there aren't that many pawns generated early on, that changes once you start getting hit with regular raids and such but again, easy mode. A recent update was supposed to fix that but anecdotally I ended up with an enemy faction leader about 40% of the time while rerolling that abduction ritual.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
What's a good way of keeping my animals fed? I keep a big plot of haygrass in the pen along with some shelves of extra but they invariably start starving during winter...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, mechanitor is a lot of fun, but you need hilarious amounts of steel, components, and just pure power to keep everything up and running.

Though I guess that's the whole thing about that playstyle.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

GetDunked posted:

What's a good way of keeping my animals fed? I keep a big plot of haygrass in the pen along with some shelves of extra but they invariably start starving during winter...

Even more extra.

Use anything to make kibble, animals won't get mad about eating humanoid or insect meat(and maybe not monster meat from Anomaly) though colonists will get mad by default about chopping up humanoid corpses.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

Man, mechanitor is a lot of fun, but you need hilarious amounts of steel, components, and just pure power to keep everything up and running.

Though I guess that's the whole thing about that playstyle.

Playing in a mountainous tile makes this a lot easier. I am just starting to run into issues in the midgame, but I've had five bots running around since shortly after we landed thanks to just clicking mine vein on all the visible compacted machinery.

Otherwise, the long range scanner is a lot better than people think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Even more extra.

Use anything to make kibble, animals won't get mad about eating humanoid or insect meat(and maybe not monster meat from Anomaly) though colonists will get mad by default about chopping up humanoid corpses.

Monster meat kibble works too.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Is using kibble more efficient than just feeding them the haygrass directly, or does it just allow mixing meat into it? I should probably have a standing order for kibble anyway...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I dunno about efficiency but when you can't grow crops you can shoot animals, people, giant flesh eating insects and monsters if ur quick. I always bulk freeze insect meat as back up, it turns into chemfuel and even sells to some caravans despite every member of it undoubtedly getting mad if they ate it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GetDunked posted:

Is using kibble more efficient than just feeding them the haygrass directly, or does it just allow mixing meat into it? I should probably have a standing order for kibble anyway...

Kibble has 125% nutrient efficiency AND allows you to make use of meats that your colonists won't eat normally.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GetDunked posted:

Got to actually harvest some of that hay, so you have supplies over winter. Making kibble with it stretches your hay out, at the expense of feeding animals meat. I usually reserve that for Fine and Lavish meals once I have a worthwhile cook but I can see the argument that it’s harvestable year-round from hunting. Or raiders if you’re butchering humans but your pawns don’t want to eat them?

If you want to do a lot of animals, it is a lot easier to be in a place with mild winters. Really you’re taking on the added burden of logistics for all the animals, plus animal-care labor, medical time when they get sick, extra farm labor to grow their feed: an easier temperate tile with a long growing season evens that out a little.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

worm girl posted:

Playing in a mountainous tile makes this a lot easier. I am just starting to run into issues in the midgame, but I've had five bots running around since shortly after we landed thanks to just clicking mine vein on all the visible compacted machinery.

Otherwise, the long range scanner is a lot better than people think.

Oh, I maxed out bots immediately, though I also set my 5 militors to dormant whenever there's no threats around.
Don't get me wrong, it's a fun playstyle, it's just so incredibly resource hungry compared to basically everything else.

I'm also playing in a tundra, which isn't making things easier.

Edit: I also got this quest really early on, so can't really complain:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

don't grow haygrass with the animals, they'll eat the plant which gives way less than the harvested output. You feed them what your pawns have cut.

You could grow grass with animals in a pen or just let it be, the latter is what I do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

Jack Trades posted:

Kibble has 125% nutrient efficiency AND allows you to make use of meats that your colonists won't eat normally.

Yeah this is a good way to use the insane amount of twisted meat you end up with in an Anomaly-heavy playthrough. That and chemfuel.
I have no animals so I have a "refine chemfuel from organics - do FOREVER - twisted meat/insect meat only" bill open at all times

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

GetDunked posted:

Swap the hay plot in the pen for dandelions/daffodils.

Have a very large plot of hay grass out of the pen.

Your pastured animals will eat the dandelions which grow pretty fast while the hay is untouched and can be harvested.

Come wintertime your dandelion/daffodils plot will die off and you can put a stock pile of hay inside the pen, which should tide over your animals until spring rolls around, where you will delete said stockpile once your first crop of dandelions comes back up.

If you have excess hay and insect meat, make kibble.

Im currently trying to breed some meat dinos and this is the system Im using.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 25, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I dunno about efficiency but when you can't grow crops you can shoot animals, people, giant flesh eating insects and monsters if ur quick. I always bulk freeze insect meat as back up, it turns into chemfuel and even sells to some caravans despite every member of it undoubtedly getting mad if they ate it.
Don't forget that a fine meal made of insect meat is still a net positive mood bonus too, +5 for the meal but only -3 for the bug parts. :pseudo:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
daffodils are the default 'crop' to grow in animal pens, and the pen sign post will tell you if you have a surplus of nutrition value in what can be grown and what is stored in shelves in the area

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there an easy way to get enemies to raid you more? i have 10 ghouls and its difficult to keep them all fed

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
fire garbage at their bases with drop pods

note that pirates will sometimes retaliate by just firing garbage back at you instead

if they eat shambler corpses you can also do the call shamblers ritual

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2024

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Launching pollution at them with drop pods can make them send raids, but it's not 100%.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can keep spare ghouls in cryptosleep when not in use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish you could relocate those bonus cryopods, but I guess that adds to the friction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

GetDunked posted:

this is the challenge of winter maps in general, you either overproduce a lot of extra food to make sure you don't have a shortfall or ... you don't.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I settled in a temperate zone with a year-round growing season and my animal pen is basically free money. I put zero effort or thought into the animals whatsoever and leave them alone, and I’m loaded with more fur and eggs than I can ever use and they’re breeding like rabbits. I have twenty-two guinea pigs running around the base, I sell off about a dozen or so every time a trader who will take them off my hands shows up, but it never takes long before the population spikes once again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, anyone tried cold-climate ranching? Would be neat to have a full Muffalo farm going. Can they graze on snow?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there has to be live plants, and while there are some that will survive when covered with snow, there won't be any new growth until the warm season (there's a little fuzziness here but that's the gist)
not on any kind of scale, you really have to store some food for them ahead of time, like the real world.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of, anyone tried cold-climate ranching? Would be neat to have a full Muffalo farm going. Can they graze on snow?

Not without mods. But you can plant daylilies indoors since they only need 30% light to grow so you can use regular lamps or torches instead of growlights. Kindof labor intensive but it also trains farming skill pretty quickly?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also grow nutrifungus in hydroponics trays without light, and animals can eat that with no complaints. Bit steel intensive but not particulalry power hungry. Haygrass in the summer is most efficient though.

I have a ranch going on a climate with barely enough summer to grow a round of corn (not always fully mature on harvest) and I'm managing so far. I am planning to lay out a fungus hydroponics bay though because I have had a few close calls on food for both colonists and animals and having that constant supply even if they don't like eating it is still better than starving to death.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nutrifungus has like a 15% fertility bonus rate so hydroponics is a bit overkill, they don't need to be grown under a mountain so it's easier and cheaper to just roof over some convenient spot of soil or gravel. Admittedly this may not be an option on ice sheets or extreme deserts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah if you have soil you're not using for anything else you can do that too. I build mountain bases so I generally max out my outdoor soil on other crops. And obviously i end up with lots of steel :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was raiding a site, all of a sudden it says my caravan ran out of food and I get dumped out of the map with no ability to take the numerous loving food items on the map. My caravan also still had food so not sure what was up with that, very annoying.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's actually a great option on ice sheet, that's the only kind of growing you're likely to do. one of the few modern concessions to trying to do a tribal start on ice sheet or very cold tundra is nutrifungus walled up with a geothermal vent.
e: speakin of cold lovely maps, I forgot how nifty that Geoforms mod is :shittypop:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 25, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A more legit Skaven race, with Alpha Genes + Big and Small - normally I am terrified of negative age effects on my precious colonists but I'm gonna lean into the Chronophagy gimmick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Once I feel content with my current "normal decent guys" colony, I'm gonna do a colony with the caste system, where I have the vampire elites and the chattel I can use for harvesting...everything.