Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Doomykins posted:

I build my hydroponics so that they have walking space between them and every square can be accessed by standing next to it instead of walking across them like a madman.

If god wanted me not to walk on plants he wouldn't have put them on the ground.

*stomp stomp*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Also in my Anomaly run, why is this allowed? :ohdear:

73? How quaint

(note the pods that don't have a selection rectangle around them, because IIRC you can only select 200 things)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a link to the alternative layouts? I'd love to shake things up once in a while.

yeah, from google here's a nice easy one to remember:

Just stack basins in 2 columns across the entire sunlamp area, then fill in the gaps. Or do 2 stacked rows instead if you want that instead, it's the same idea

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2024

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've completely stopped using fence gates. The time spent re-coralling animals when your dipshit pawns leave poo poo in the way (or running off to catch one and getting yourself murdered) is at least 1000x longer than the .25 seconds you save getting into your pen. What a stupid feature.

e: Oh, I see you can't bring animals into your pen without one. How delightful.

I guess maybe not a great idea to put an autobong in your dining room. I have this one-legged guy (I've tried to give him a prosthetic leg 3 times with a 13 medic and failed every time) who keeps going into the kitchen, grabbing a meal, going to the dining room, getting stoned, collapsing, not eating, crawling out, reviving himself, walking back to the kitchen, grabbing a meal, walking to the dining room, getting stone, collapsing, not eating, etc. In the process of separating my rec and dining rooms now.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

QuarkJets posted:

yeah, from google here's a nice easy one to remember:

Just stack basins in 2 columns across the entire sunlamp area, then fill in the gaps. Or do 2 stacked rows instead if you want that instead, it's the same idea

Thanks! Yeah, that one is definitely easy to remember.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Leal posted:

73? How quaint

(note the pods that don't have a selection rectangle around them, because IIRC you can only select 200 things)

That's a steel delivery right

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jelly posted:

I've completely stopped using fence gates. The time spent re-coralling animals when your dipshit pawns leave poo poo in the way (or running off to catch one and getting yourself murdered) is at least 1000x longer than the .25 seconds you save getting into your pen. What a stupid feature.

e: Oh, I see you can't bring animals into your pen without one. How delightful.

I guess maybe not a great idea to put an autobong in your dining room. I have this one-legged guy (I've tried to give him a prosthetic leg 3 times with a 13 medic and failed every time) who keeps going into the kitchen, grabbing a meal, going to the dining room, getting stoned, collapsing, not eating, crawling out, reviving himself, walking back to the kitchen, grabbing a meal, walking to the dining room, getting stone, collapsing, not eating, etc. In the process of separating my rec and dining rooms now.

I've got like 3000 hours in this game and have never had a pawn leave something in the pen door. Whats your pen layout where that is an issue for you.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

I've got like 3000 hours in this game and have never had a pawn leave something in the pen door. Whats your pen layout where that is an issue for you.
All it takes is for a pawn to milk/shear an animal near a pen door and drop the product in the way. It prevents you from growing any kind of crop next to a pen door as well as they will be guaranteed to be left in the way.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Nociosphere is hosed up, by the way. JFC.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jelly posted:

All it takes is for a pawn to milk/shear an animal near a pen door and drop the product in the way. It prevents you from growing any kind of crop next to a pen door as well as they will be guaranteed to be left in the way.

I've only just started playing again and haven't messed around with pens much yet, but could you just use a 2 pen door airlock?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Have items started decaying a lot faster and is it a lot more variable since 1.5? I noticed books would decay really fast if not properly stored and especially when in water so I started attention, but also other stuff, especially in (moving) water, seems to disappear more quickly.

Not a complaint at all. In fact, I'm glad I can just dump poo poo in a river now and not have to worry about it and the area surrounding my base not be littered with corpses and random junk as much. I'm just wondering if it's a 1.5 thing or something I hadn't noticed before.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Taeke posted:

Have items started decaying a lot faster and is it a lot more variable since 1.5? I noticed books would decay really fast if not properly stored and especially when in water so I started attention, but also other stuff, especially in (moving) water, seems to disappear more quickly.

Not a complaint at all. In fact, I'm glad I can just dump poo poo in a river now and not have to worry about it and the area surrounding my base not be littered with corpses and random junk as much. I'm just wondering if it's a 1.5 thing or something I hadn't noticed before.

That's not a new thing, dumping corpses into the water/river/bogs has been a thing for awhile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deterioration rates are definable per-item so books probably just decay very fast because...they're books. If you throw a book in a river it will deteriorate very quickly!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol the Backrooms abducted my elderly one-armed dirtmole joiner and he managed to get himself killed before he found the exit, I guess that's just gonna bother everyone until we manage to bring his body back :rip:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Vargs posted:

I've only just started playing again and haven't messed around with pens much yet, but could you just use a 2 pen door airlock?

Seems like the best/easiest plan for sure!

Taeke posted:

I've only noticed this with books. They decay very fast, like 1/s. I can't remember if it was raining or not when I noted this, I packed them up quickly.

Another colony wipe from poor preparation from an infestation. It seems like when I take a very long break I really have to re-learn how to play the game again. Rimworld is not like riding a bike, at least for me.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 27, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TaurusTorus posted:

need to make some kidaphract armor

FTFY

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimworld is 20% on gog right now, so that made me curious: how's the modding scene if you're not on Steam? I know there are 3rd party mod repositories but are things as easy to use as the steam workshop?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld is 20% on gog right now, so that made me curious: how's the modding scene if you're not on Steam? I know there are 3rd party mod repositories but are things as easy to use as the steam workshop?

I think you can get Rimpy to manage/download even without steam.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

QuarkJets posted:

There is but it's extremely tiny, as far as I know most non-Steam players are still using the Workshop for modding via third party downloaders - Steam doesn't check for ownership if you know how to pull the download link.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay this is a Very Good Gimmick :kiss:

I'd never tried the Holy Diseases gimmick before because it looked like Hard Mode but it's actually not a big deal, it's very colorful and reasonable (the custom race with the extra immunity effect is very overkill, the meme includes a +50% immunity gain feature anyway)

Lots of social fights (LOTS of social fights lol), lots of baby ratlings zipping around doing things :allears:

*genes from Big and Small/Alpha Genes, ideo stuff from Alpha Genes/a one-off Survivalist meme mod

e: the map tile is a very nifty tropical rainforest/mountain skerry, we'll be dirtying it up with lots of pollution in a bit

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 28, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uninsurable?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Many unfortunate exploding helmet incidents :iiam:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I did a sanguophage start and finally got a third pawn to start converting my joiners to our cannibal bloodfeeder worship cult.

It's a pyromaniac with poor social skills. Guess they'll keep being creeped out by us for a while longer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Turning a pyromaniac into a sanguophage to condemn them to an eternity of cognitive dissonance.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It seems obvious now but when "Kind" says the pawn doesn't judge by physical appearance, it means they don't get the opinion boost from pawns being beautiful. I somehow didn't realize that

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3230195082

Welp, another mandatory mod.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol loving perfect

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Playing with Alpha Genes and thanks to a successful ritual I ended up with a Helixan colonist.

I've been trying to play a nice colony but I still had to send him to a farm upstate (literally thanks to the Vanilla Expanded Outposts mod) because having one in your colony just sucks so much. Everyone was constantly having mental breaks because of the double mood effect of him being so unbelievably revolting to look at and the fact he constantly emits a stinky corpse gas odor. Basically just a flat -15 to everyone to have him around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah a couple of the xenotypes included are just bonkers, the "turn cancer into ridiculous always on buffs" race is bananas

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Oh wow, this is.. incredibly useful.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh drat. that seems like a no brainer and should have been in the unmodded game, except that maybe there should have been a chance that instead of it working exactly like in the screenshot it transmits to the animal instead :evilbuddy: maybe they can't really mature in nonhumanlike pawns or in pawns below a certain size. Don't want to overcomplicate it tho, or it'll be impossible to survive if your herd of guar all get infected. It's not really The Thing after all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nothing like going into labor while the world is being swalloved by darkness.

At least she's really into it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nothing like going into labor during a maddening psychic drone

:ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese::ese:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

thankfully she managed to get the baby out and the doctor arrested Dropsy before she managed to kill Pox :ohdear:

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

At least she's really into it

Making the baby? It's fine. But delivering the baby? Exquisite

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Books are really fun and useful but sometimes the descriptions and titles are really good too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I love it when I'm reading a technical manual on harps and half of it is actually about constructing IEDs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I love it when I'm reading a technical manual on harps and half of it is actually about constructing IEDs

You have to admit it is a novel application.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

QuarkJets posted:

Turns out a properly tuned tripwire makes an exquisite sound, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I accepted a Mysterious Cargo quest that turned out to be THE CUBE, so now I'm wondering what's the best way to deal with it. Will sending a pawn to live in a distant corner of the map before they make contact with it work out, or should I make a cryptosleep casket to store one uninfected pawn in before it takes over? Do they have to see/interact with the cube before obsession takes over, or does just interacting with cube obsessed pawns spread it?