Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
starting again because maps fully bordered with water or rock are just a bit too busted, and :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What a curious shape.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Male pawns having a lot of pathing issues around the top end of the lake

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Gadzuko posted:

Male pawns having a lot of pathing issues around the top end of the lake

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inadequately posted:

I accepted a Mysterious Cargo quest that turned out to be THE CUBE, so now I'm wondering what's the best way to deal with it.

Cube mechanics as I have experimented with it:
While the cube is on your map, every so often a colonist will randomly acquire the Cube Obsession status effect in their health bar. Colonists who are cube obsessed will randomly stop whatever they are doing to go admire the cube. Admiring the cube will give them a +15 mood bonus for a while, but both takes time away from their usual work, and will increase the severity of their Cube Obsession.

As their Cube Obsession severity increases, colonists get a progressively larger bonus to Sleep Fall Rate (so they sleep less), and an increasing penalty to their work speed (so they do all tasks slower). At 100% cube obsession these effects are quite severe, but will never become lethal or anything.

At higher Cube Obsession levels pawns will frequently have mental breaks where they stop whatever they are doing to go build a little shrine to the cube. This gives them an additional +10 mood, but the shrines cannot be destroyed without replacing that +10 mood with a -10. Shrines can be moved without affecting the pawn so you can at least shove them out of the way. Shrines have 4 beauty, which is nothing, but at least it isn’t a penalty. Between constantly going to admire the cube, building shrines all the time, and getting that work speed penalty, cube obsessed pawns will get hardly any work done.

So what can you do about it? The main way to counter the cube is to research it enough to unlock the ability to destroy it. Since you can only research it every two days this takes a long time, just over a season for me. It also costs a dark shard, so be sure to save one. Destroying the cube will cause all Cube Obsessed pawns to go into a berserk rage, but you can avoid that by destroying it while they are in cryptosleep or under anesthesia.

Annoyingly, Cube Obsession will trigger on pawns just for being on the map. I zoned all my pawns into a separate area of the base and locked the cube in a room where only the researchers had access to it, and pawns would still become cube obsessed even though they had never seen or been in the same room as the cube. I also had researchers studying the cube that never got cube obsessed, so I think it’s just random who gets it.

If you zone cube obsessed pawns away from the cube so they cannot reach it to admire it, they will get a -15 mood penalty, which gradually worsens into a -30, and finally the colonist will drop into a coma for 3 days. This breaks the cube obsession, but nothing is preventing them from getting cube obsessed all over again once they wake up. I believe the game aims to have a certain % of your colony cube obsessed, so trying to prevent people from interacting with it is probably counterproductive. It won’t stop cube obsession, you’ll replace the cube admiration mood bonus with a mood penalty, and you’ll lose work time to the coma instead of to the shrine building, and once the coma is done a new colonist will just get cube obsessed again anyway.

I think the best thing to do with it is to put it somewhere central so that researchers and admirers can reach it quickly with less time wasted walking. If placed in a stockpile on the floor the cube has 150 beauty so it will improve room quality while it’s in there. Destroying the cube turns it into 150 or so gold, and lets you destroy all the lovely cube shrines without penalty, so at least there’s a reward. I have not tried drop podding the cube off the map, so I cannot say what happens in that case.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Flesh Forge posted:

starting again because maps fully bordered with water or rock are just a bit too busted, and :stare:

Tar Valon IN SPACE

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I just panned around the map and realized it's covered in animal skeletons all of the sudden.

How screwed am I right now?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Okay I really hate the "mercy rain" mechanic now. A single Molotov cocktail was thrown by a raid so hope you enjoy all of your shots missing, quest rewards decaying, and your colonists being miserable for the next week. Please for the love of God just let the whole map burn down instead, I really don't mind. Anything but having to look at rain and its gameplay effects for nearly my entire play time.

mega dy posted:

I just panned around the map and realized it's covered in animal skeletons all of the sudden.

How screwed am I right now?

It's okay, all it does is make the funny dust event more interesting

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BattleMaster posted:

Okay I really hate the "mercy rain" mechanic now. A single Molotov cocktail was thrown by a raid so hope you enjoy all of your shots missing, quest rewards decaying, and your colonists being miserable for the next week. Please for the love of God just let the whole map burn down instead, I really don't mind. Anything but having to look at rain and its gameplay effects for nearly my entire play time.

It's trivially easy to mitigate the combat debuffs and the mood penalties if you just build some roofs over your walking paths and over your killbox sandbags/pillars(or wherever your guys go to fight incoming enemies).

I played once without mercy rain and it honestly sucks rear end to have your entire map be a blasted scorched wasteland forever because random lightning strikes/molotovs/boomalope deaths happen consistently enough that nothing ever has time to regrow before the next California wildfire sweeps through.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know how but this motherfucker survived being left for dead with no medical care, so I guess it's his lucky day. He was a hate chanter, and the obvious strategy for dealing with them is to have someone go around and badly nick each one so they die on their own and you mostly just have to deal with those who death refuse. I saw that he was taking an awful long time to die after the fight was over and it turned out he had fully healed on his own with no special traits or anything.

edit: oh he's a Hussar, I guess that explains it. Well I needed someone like that so it's my lucky day

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 30, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I love having at least 1 hussar in a colony but idk about having an inhumanized pawn in a colony that's not already doing that, but I also don't really understand inhumanized yet. Are there any downsides to it aside from being bad at social and animals?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Installed a mod that added FFXIV animals and found it quite funny when I raided a base and found a carbuncle-fur hat. Also had a giant carbuncle self-tame and then develop alzheimer's. Poor carbies are not cut out for Rimworld.

Doing a mechanitor-focused run right now. Any suggestions on which combat mechs are actually worth using? Currently just have a couple scythers since my little gnome colonists are horrendous in melee, as well as the desperation swarm from the workerbot crew when things are looking bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flesh Forge posted:

Aside from the funny shape, is that usable soil around the lake?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I got a quest to crash-land a sanguophage and capture him, and it went pretty well. Turned my best miner into a vampire so I can duplicate them at an obelisk later (need a lot of metal for this mechanitor-focused playthrough), but now I need to decide what to do with the original. They're immortal, right? I should be able to stick him in a cryptosleep casket and pull him out only for Chronophagy rituals to keep my colonists eternally young, and have my blind healer fix up any brain scars he gets off it. Could just vampire all my colonists but I don't think I want too many, otherwise hemogen farming and planning around deathrests becomes an issue.

Also, I pulled another mechanitor from a Skip Abduction ritual, so I think my long-term goal for this colony is farming mechlinks to make every single one of my colonists a mechanitor, provided my interest lasts that long.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I love having at least 1 hussar in a colony but idk about having an inhumanized pawn in a colony that's not already doing that, but I also don't really understand inhumanized yet. Are there any downsides to it aside from being bad at social and animals?
An Inhumanized pawn can't have social interactions and doesn't have a beauty or comfort need. While this means there's less that can annoy them it also means the pawn loses access to a lot of easy mood bonuses (art, loving, etc). They also basically have the psychopath trait built in so they don't care one bit about murder, corpses, organ harvesting, and those sorts of atrocities, and they can eat twisted meat and wear anomaly leather without mood penalties. Overall the condition is mostly a buff really but it still has some stuff to keep in mind when handling the lunatics.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vargs posted:

Installed a mod that added FFXIV animals and found it quite funny when I raided a base and found a carbuncle-fur hat. Also had a giant carbuncle self-tame and then develop alzheimer's. Poor carbies are not cut out for Rimworld.

Doing a mechanitor-focused run right now. Any suggestions on which combat mechs are actually worth using? Currently just have a couple scythers since my little gnome colonists are horrendous in melee, as well as the desperation swarm from the workerbot crew when things are looking bad.

That FF critters mod sounds fun.

For combat mechs I favor defensive mechs over offensive, because mechs don’t feel pain or get infections, I want them soaking up all the aggro. The best one for this early is the Tunneler, it has a ton of health and an energy shield, so it will take forever to go down while my colonists get free rein to blast away. It is so durable that even under extreme fire it almost always gets downed instead of dying, which means it is free to repair. Great mech.

If you want an offense bot the blaster centipede is extremely solid for firing into swarms and not going down. It shoots so many bullets that it will get lucky and instakill people pretty often just because it gets to roll so many dice.

The best mech I think is the Queen. Being able to spawn fast completely disposable distractions is priceless. You can get pirates to blow up their own raids with their rocket launchers very easily, and if you get caught out of position and surrounded by melee enemies you can instantly deploy a screening force to delay the enemy while your shooters blast away. I’ve beaten giant manhunter swarms surrounding a handful of colonists in an open field without casualties by screening with queen drones.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mzbundifund posted:

The best mech I think is the Queen. Being able to spawn fast completely disposable distractions is priceless. You can get pirates to blow up their own raids with their rocket launchers very easily, and if you get caught out of position and surrounded by melee enemies you can instantly deploy a screening force to delay the enemy while your shooters blast away. I’ve beaten giant manhunter swarms surrounding a handful of colonists in an open field without casualties by screening with queen drones.

They're good but you better have your deep drills going, because all that steel for urchins starts adding up!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked Scythers a lot when Mechanitors first came out, but in Anomaly I feel like they are really obsoleted by ghouls. Ghouls require essentially zero maintenance and can be upgraded in a lot of ways.

QuarkJets posted:

Asimo touched on it and I made a larger post earlier with my findings. Essentially it absolutely doesn't bother me in the slightest that this one guy is Inhumanized and is probably optimal anyway. I want my Jem'Hadar warrior ready to fight at all times, not getting in social fights, especially because he's already genetically prone to them, or going on murderous rampages against his friends because he got insulted or divorced or saw the corpse of the guy he just beat to death or whatever. It also makes him even more resistant to heat and cold. Sure he gets -12 to three skills that he already gets -8 to and I didn't want him for anyway. I just want him to suit up, juice up, and not stop swinging until he or the other guy is dead. Rip and tear until it is done.

I did a full Inhumanization run for Anomaly and the big list of upsides mostly canceled out the small list of extremely potent downsides even across the whole colony. It makes your colonists straight up emotionally immune to most of the bad stuff the Anomaly content does. Converting and recruiting is an arduous process if you even try, and even if they don't care about beauty it's harder to juice room value with art when no one is good at it. Who cares about animals when you have raiders though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Situation: My second colony is 3 weeks across a harsh desert by horse from Charlon Whitestone. I want to get the ship ending but with the quest ship this time. With my High Life tribal start I wanted to research the minimum tech needed and amass a quantity of resources, drugs, food, equipment, and elite colonists enough to set up a defensive line with few amenities around the ship and defend it powered entirely by drugs, psychic soothing, and sleep inhibitors. I am most of the way there.

Problem: I plan to use ghouls and realized there is no way I can feed a ghoul for the whole trip. Ghouls are also too heavy to justify bringing as corpses and resurrecting them on site.

Solution: I will prepare some ghoul candidates with appropriate xenogerms and human implants and keep them in cryptosleep caskets. When the time comes to move out, I will take them out of the caskets, let them recover enough to make the trip, and then perform the ghoul infusion and upgrades on-site.

I've really been trying to do another happy gay space luxury communist run, of which I have done several to completion so far, but it turns out ghouls are what really tests my ability to avoid war crimes. Oddly, though, it doesn't distress anyone when you make people into ghouls unless they are family members. I was actually expecting Inhumanization to be the meme that makes ghouls socially acceptable but everyone is fine with them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does loading the ghouls up with detrimental genes and giving them a nuclear stomach help?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

Does loading the ghouls up with detrimental genes and giving them a nuclear stomach help?

Nuclear Stomach absolutely works and is a pretty pro move. I assume that even genes negative that are ineffective on ghouls still contribute to their metabolic efficiency, but I am not sure. I don't know if it would be possible to get them to last nearly a month without food even with all that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GetDunked posted:

What's a good way of keeping my animals fed? I keep a big plot of haygrass in the pen along with some shelves of extra but they invariably start starving during winter...

If you don't have a variable that makes folks mad about killing animals, just do the RL traditional thing and kill most of them in early winter. Breed your pigs in the spring, grow them all summer, and then put away hams for winter, keeping just enough pigs to restart the cycle next spring.

If you do have a variable like venerated animal or whatever that makes killing the surplus animals undesirable, then do the same thing but sell them instead of killing them.

Just letting the population grow and grow every year eventually becomes untenable no matter how much land you dedicate to growing hay. So adapting your slaughter cycle to coincide with the time when forage becomes scarce but freezing meat becomes easy just makes sense.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I can do this all day, rear end in a top hat

He's lucky I wasn't doing an organ harvesting colony or else I'd have 5 of his hearts

edit:

haha rip

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 30, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Aside from the funny shape, is that usable soil around the lake?

Yes, and those are pathable caves through the mountain surrounding it. That's a product of Geological Landforms, I think it's called "Secluded Valley". Really a neat mod!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Nuclear Stomach absolutely works and is a pretty pro move. I assume that even genes negative that are ineffective on ghouls still contribute to their metabolic efficiency, but I am not sure. I don't know if it would be possible to get them to last nearly a month without food even with all that.

I mean you can carry raw meat to feed them until it rots, right? They just need to last from that point on.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes, and those are pathable caves through the mountain surrounding it. That's a product of Geological Landforms, I think it's called "Secluded Valley". Really a neat mod!

Vanilla freaks out if all the map borders are impassible/mountain roof, so there's probably an extra interaction with Biomes Caverns or something there too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Couldn't you just periodically settle on a tile long enough to let the ghouls hunt local wildlife before moving on?

E: oh I forgot you said desert, but maybe there would still be something?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

isndl posted:

Vanilla freaks out if all the map borders are impassible/mountain roof, so there's probably an extra interaction with Biomes Caverns or something there too.

No it just throws an exception complaining about no place to spawn a siege, also it has no interaction with or dependency on any of the biome mods as far as I know

E: regular desert tiles will have things like camels and iguanas, it's extreme desert that's super sparse animals

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

BattleMaster posted:

edit:

haha rip

I had a much less fun version of this happen.

This is a colonist that woke up from Revenant hypnosis not even 45 seconds prior

e: is there a sadder phrase in the English language than "Gunlink (Masterwork) - Tainted"

Kate Lockwell fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jack Trades posted:

Who put a roguelike dungeon crawler into my colony management game?

Modders. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3163116975&searchtext=dungeon

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anybody check out Temperature Expanded? It looks pretty much like the temperature options from dubs hygiene, like nearly 1:1

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kate Lockwell posted:

I had a much less fun version of this happen.

This is a colonist that woke up from Revenant hypnosis not even 45 seconds prior

e: is there a sadder phrase in the English language than "Gunlink (Masterwork) - Tainted"

if it helps, when a pawn gets resurrected all their gear somehow loses the tainted tag. but rez serums are an expensive way of doing laundry.

I don't have the DLC so I can't experiment to see if load caravan>euthanize>revive ghoul would work.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.
Ehh it's fine, I'll just make another masterwork Gunlink.
Now, where did my pawn with 21 Crafting go? Oh right, she just got mulched by an obelisk :negative:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3224119746&searchtext=washer

just wash them

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

Anybody check out Temperature Expanded? It looks pretty much like the temperature options from dubs hygiene, like nearly 1:1
Yeah I poked at it a bit and it's pretty similar to the Dubs HVAC submod stuff. Admittedly there's only so much you can really do conceptually with heating and cooling. VTE is slightly simpler since the aircon network both heats and cools but if you're used to one there's no reason to install the other.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I actually just cheated with Character Editor to resurrect her, since that's just peak bullshit to lose one of my best pawns (21 crafting, 17 shooting, 17 intelligence) like that - or any pawn for that matter. But to keep at least some level of consequence I Lieutenant Dan'd her legs and gave her permanent spine damage.
:shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
One thing I noticed with Inhuman pawns is that they won't join parties if someone is throwing one. You probably don't need that mood boost anyways and it's probably advantageous on your workers since that means more time on task.

Flesh Forge posted:

No it just throws an exception complaining about no place to spawn a siege, also it has no interaction with or dependency on any of the biome mods as far as I know

Yeah, I'd consider throwing an exception to be a form of freaking out. Plus friendly pawns have no idea how to leave the map and eventually starve to death.

I was thinking Caverns adds support for underground exits due to the theme, but looking at the mod again it actually has GL as a dependency so maybe they rolled that feature into GL rather than Caverns.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm sure this has already been discussed but I think the Anomaly content/research tree would be a lot more interesting if it allowed you to ignore more of the baseline research tree, such as electronics. It seems to take you in that direction, what with the new ideology tenants incentivizing you trade one for the other and the anomaly research tree offering you novel ways to generate electricity. Wish it had a stronger and more independent identity.

EDIT: As far as Ghouls go, they can get extremely powerful just off genetics/ghoul specific implants and I don't think will ever crack 600 pawn value. Start adding prosthetics, like power claws or nuclear stomachs and watch their pawn value skyrocket. Triple or quadruple with just a few. That isn't good for efficiently dealing with encounters.

They are extremely raid point efficient without implants. They seem to go in the other direction once you start applying regular implants.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2024

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

yeah but its more fun to have a ton of guys show up to get torn apart by your army of power claw ghouls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anomaly should have been split between early game and late game. Could have thematically kept to tribal/medieval playthroughs with shamblers/ghouls and the darkness events and kept the strong late game stuff like the sphere occurring after a electricity is unlocked or something.