Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Adequate posted:

If y'all mean me, thanks! He's a minor and offscreen character in Consider Phlebas and I loved it from the second I saw it.

Well, your name is good too, but I was talking about the pun of "basic bridges" on "basic bitches"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sillybones posted:

Sending someone on a caravan for even a short distance appears a massive undertaking for me. They have to take hundreds of kilograms of food and will be gone for stupid amounts of time as the crawl around the map. Am I doing it wrong? Is it how I am setting up the caravans that makes this so messed up and not worth it?

What biome are they crossing and what season? Flatlands or mountains? What is the slowest thing in the caravan - colonist or animal? Is anyone having mental breaks on the caravan?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

socialsecurity posted:

Decided to install a "curated modpack" was kinda fun until half my pawns decided to leave and form their own faction leaving me without a cook or grower and completely crippled, was a bit extreme.

Yeah, that's Rumors & Deception I believe, if you want to remove it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Playing the cult mod for the first time and it's been pretty fun. My labrador retriever is now monstrous with spines growing out of him.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Eltoasto posted:

Playing the cult mod for the first time and it's been pretty fun. My labrador retriever is now monstrous with spines growing out of him.

How'd you manage that? I haven't tried all the deities yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

I've been hoping for the dark one's blessing to land on like, half of my muffalo. Or can you breed the monstrous ones if you get a pair of them? Either way I want some seriously beefy muffalo pack animals for my caravans, to go with my roided-up, more-machine-than-human power armored murder squad killers that I will be sending out wherever I want them to go. Just not getting enough tribal raids lately, the donation chambers are empty.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Crimson Harvest posted:

How'd you manage that? I haven't tried all the deities yet.

It's the goat god dude.

And yeah, I had 10 muffalo, 2 boars, and the dog, and it landed on the dog.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Eltoasto posted:

It's the goat god dude.

And yeah, I had 10 muffalo, 2 boars, and the dog, and it landed on the dog.

Even unknowable ancient monstrosities cannot resist the allure of a Good Boy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

Even unknowable ancient monstrosities cannot resist the allure of a Good Boy.

Relevant Welcome to Night Vale episode

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

HelloSailorSign posted:

What biome are they crossing and what season? Flatlands or mountains? What is the slowest thing in the caravan - colonist or animal? Is anyone having mental breaks on the caravan?

Just two well colonists with no issues on a road in nice weather taking a million years and 100kg of food.

Their end was a scratch by a pig in a random encounter that went infected and that was it. This was the third expedition to end much like this. It seems totally pointless to try.

For what ever reason I can take anyone dying in the real time map thing, no matter how important they were. It just adds to the fun. But people dying on the travel map makes me stop playing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Did you overload them? They won't move if they're burdened.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
nyet

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I have no idea why - if they've got a destination set, made sure to load <95%, everyone can walk at a decent move speed, nobody has a mental break, they should be moving.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I had an injured muffalo that was slowing down a caravan. Got a leg shot off in an ambush. Had to go Old Yeller on it so the rest of the group didn't starve.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dire Lemming posted:

It's from Mechanoid Tech, it's got some cool stuff but also some annoying things like having its own ludicrously expensive and work intensive materials and making the new mechanoids hard solely by having pretty much all of them have explosives which makes cover useless.

As I just learned to my detriment when a couple of massive tanks tore through my entire defenses with ease by means of bombing :negative:

Volmarias posted:

Well, your name is good too, but I was talking about the pun of "basic bridges" on "basic bitches"

Oh well :v: I hadn't even clocked that, because I'm a moron.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Playing through my first game with the Cthulhu series of mods, and I basically disregarded the mist monsters after the Mi-Go swarm proved itself to be a sad joke (I was expecting Cthulhutech-esque high tech assault, I got a volley of tentacle covered dipshits like particularly dumb maddened animals). This was a mistake. I nearly lost someone when they unexpectedly broke in a madness induced daze a bare minute into being outdoors. Thankfully I had another couple of guys come out to tackle and drag them into a nice, comfy indoors cell. I have since taken the corrective measure of walling off and roofing up much more space, because holy gently caress that was too close. Glad I had plenty of food stored up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

bird food bathtub posted:

I had an injured muffalo that was slowing down a caravan. Got a leg shot off in an ambush. Had to go Old Yeller on it so the rest of the group didn't starve.
Unless you're walking through snow mountains in the winter, this is the most likely culprit.

Or one guy has alcohol withdrawal which has a net move speed penalty of 60% or so. It's really harsh for no good reason.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
For some reason my colonists keep getting their noses bitten off. I have four people with artificial noses, one of whom I bought a real nose off a trader, only for them to get it ripped off by a wolf again. What the hell is wrong with you people.

Also I was a bit careless and had my miner get hit by two thin roof collapses, one of which destroyed nothing but his left bionic eye, and the second one hit nothing but his right eye. My colony's pretty late-game so it was simple enough to replace them, but those were bizarrely specific cave ins :stare: Not a scratch on him otherwise.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Get helmets for them, cripes

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
That poo poo is not OHSA approved PPE.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In this man's fortress we wear only Dagon-Approved™ robes and hoods :colbert: aside from the nerve stapled cryo-marines once that project finally takes off

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I usually end up harvesting replacement noses from prisoners, I think EPOE lets you do it. Not ears though for some reason, maybe because you can make bionic ears. They're kind of pointless though since as far as I can tell enhanced hearing doesn't improve anything.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
As far as I can tell the only thing it helps with is avoiding the disfigured social debuff. I still do the surgery because since the latest update surgery isn't death roulette and I have a solid quarter of my pawns "practicing" medicine.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Does losing a nose actually reduce their effectiveness in any real way?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Does losing a nose actually reduce their effectiveness in any real way?

The only thing I notice is that it makes other people not like them (disfigured, -15 social).

Hearing is good for bartering and animal taming. Also arresting people.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what is the best bunch of mods to use for this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
just get Prepare Carefully and come back to ask us specific questions on if there's a mod to fix X thing you hate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say medieval times is just a generally good mod to have, it adds useful content that isn't overpowered.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a routine of killing everyone in a raid and patching up the survivors in my "donation chambers" for medical experience. Once they're at full health I choose someone, install two peg legs, remove them, then harvest every single last piece I can from them (which is a lot from EPOE) for a butt ton of medical experience and the next time everyone's gathered for worship I sacrifice them for whatever helps the most, then move on to the next peg-legger. In a colony of 12 people I have 4 with 15 or higher medicine skill, and I like it that way.

Also wearing human leather clothing when you're sociopath and/or cannibal, dunno which one, gives you a stacking, constant mood buff as well as the gigantic 24 hour buff you get from cooked and raw cannibalism. Mood breaks only really happen on the peg-leggers anymore, which is just funny.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been enjoying this but I always end up in a death spiral 1-2 deaths is usually enough to ruin my colony especially if they served some important role others can't fit.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

I've been enjoying this but I always end up in a death spiral 1-2 deaths is usually enough to ruin my colony especially if they served some important role others can't fit.

Yes, losing in Rimworld is often watching your downed or mentally broken pawns do nothing as fire consumes your home.

It's poetic.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Or a horde of manhunting terriers. Seriously my most insulting loss. Just an unbelievable horde of the drat things that charged past a wall of turrets and guns, then countless friendly fire injuries until it was pointless to even continue.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I had a colonist who got injured in a tribal raid. Two arrows to the face cut out both his eyes, despite wearing a helmet. It was a bit grotesque.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I had a tribal being chased by pirates who very helpfully stayed in range of their doomsday rocket launcher carrier.

At the end of the fighting I was able to pull her in - she lost part of an eye, had burns on near every part of her body (including the shredded bits that downed her in the first place), an arm and a leg were completely burned off... but hey we saved you from pirates right?

The odd thing today was the pirate leader fleeing from 3 of his compatriots (new colony). We just installed an electrical generator and we are the better choice than you leading your pirate band? Wonder what happened there...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

bird food bathtub posted:

Or a horde of manhunting terriers. Seriously my most insulting loss. Just an unbelievable horde of the drat things that charged past a wall of turrets and guns, then countless friendly fire injuries until it was pointless to even continue.

i had this happen with rhinos and after that it was a requirement that all ingress/egress from the compound must have two doors - one wooden, to be closed at all times, and one stone, to be held open and closed in emergencies.

the next pack of manhunting rhinos tried awfully drat hard to charge past the turrets but it didn't work so well when they had to stop for the doors.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Volmarias posted:

Get helmets for them, cripes

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I had a colonist who got injured in a tribal raid. Two arrows to the face cut out both his eyes, despite wearing a helmet. It was a bit grotesque.
Simple helmets and advanced helmets don't protect against nose/eye/jaw/neck damage, only power armor helmets do.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 28, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
If you don't want to manage a hell circus of maimed monsters and pawns desperately doing work they're not qualified for because they're the only one with both hands I really don't know why you even bought this game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I just bought this and double clicking to select all of stuff isn't working. Is there an easy fix?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I register my game on steam, will I lose access to downloading the DRM free version? I want to start using the steam workshop so I don't have to check my hundreds of mods for updates, but I also like keeping my copy on my thumb drive so I can switch between machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Danaru posted:

If I register my game on steam, will I lose access to downloading the DRM free version? I want to start using the steam workshop so I don't have to check my hundreds of mods for updates, but I also like keeping my copy on my thumb drive so I can switch between machines

No, I still get emails linking me to new DRM free versions.