Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Danaru posted:

Some dude made a mod where you can CQC dunk someone Metal Gear style if you have enough melee skills. Its hilariously overpowered since it has no cooldown but it's so satisfying to just flatten out any berzerking colonist

I like to use it when hunting. It's hilarious to have generic MSF grunt codename "Rhesus Monkey" just walk up to a Thumbo and judo-flip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Two weeks into a new normal-start game:

Item Stash Quest: A Charge Lance guarded by two hostiles? You bet your rear end I'm locking one person at home to mind the shop and sending everyone combat capable to go get that.

I get to the encounter, and the two guardians are poo poo-skilled mooks... :pcgaming: wielding another charge lance and a pulse rifle :pcgaming:

I kite them behind a rock outcropping one at a time and just beat them to death before they can shoot me, and hey we're off to a rollicking start with three endgame-tier guns. Thanks Randy!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Nearly lost a colony to 15 manhunter bunnies. Monty Python knew, maaaann

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Thyrork posted:

I find worked stone to be hard to come by and make in huge amounts. Any ideas? Any mods to make more bricks or build a better brickworks?

How about an electric stonecutter bench?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Average Bear posted:

How do you guys deal with raider corpses? My carnivores tend to munch on my lavish meals instead of eating in the corpse freezer, so I started turning the bodies into kibble (good for herbivores who are locked inside too). But then this leaves me with a problem of all their worn junk. Its all tainted so I use a medieval mod tailor bench to turn it back into whatever material its made out of. Managed to get some hyperweave this way. But this takes forever after huge raids. So I started putting their wooded armor and masks, along with any socks and boots into a napalm furnace that I turn on when it gets full. But this honestly feels wasteful and takes a bit of microing to set up the napalm each time. Is there a better way besides just more tailor benches and junk stockpiles?

Dumping ground for the corpses in a fireproofed area + a Molotov or incendiary launcher you occasionally conscript someone to grab and toast the pile?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

lmao this certainly is a place

Whole new meaning to the term swamp-rear end

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Insanity from Cthulhu? Misery debuffs from sadism?

Sounds like people aren't growing enough smokeleaf for their colonies.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

What is that thin structure next to each spike trap in your Security Maze?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've always wanted to try a nomad base but I always get to attached to my starting base while I'm in the "collecting resources" faze.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah that's my problem.
If there was a way to get a Mad Max caravan going to haul pretty much everything to a new map, I'd be much more likely to do it.

There's a mod that lets you build deployable/repackable tents: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523058989

deep dish peat moss posted:

So there's a mod that lets you lab-grow meat, milk, and eggs in special hydroponics bins. Is there anything similar that would let me grow things like organs, hemogen, genes, etc?

Alpha Animals has the Teratogenic Originator which is a living fleshblob that you can occasionally get some creepy arms/eyes/legs from, as a start.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

My only 'killbox' is a tunnel with a button-linked blast-door on each side, filled with chainlink fences. So far I just shoot things while they approach through the fences but the eventual goal is to find a way to vent rimatomics heat into that room or something on-demand so I can open it, allow them in, shut it and roast them. Seems appropriate for surviving a feralisk jungle.

Rimefeller has napalm traps you can lay down or pre-spread and a remote-triggered igniter if you really want to amp up your Death Chamber game

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

She landed with paralytic abasia that still has a few days left, by a complete miracle she got one of my favourite traits :unsmith:

Well between her aging fluff and that trait, you'd better be shoving a detoxifier lung in her ASAP :toot:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

There should be a system to let you flood a room with chemfuel to 1. clean it 2. gas everyone in it and 3. set on on fire if you want to.

OwlFancier posted:

Basically if I produce enough chemfuel I should be able to do the WW2 britain thing and just start burying tonnes of it in the road on the off chance a german tank shows up and you can just obliterate it and half the town at once.

Rimefeller's napalm-related things can get you partway there. Besides what's shown in the video, there's an option to just spread napalm on the ground in preparation, so you can set up your blast furnace trap rooms to your heart's content.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

One thing I noticed is that children (starting at age 7) can get the "no tree connection" mood debuff and also cannot link to trees until age 13.

I mean, a child tantrumming over something they can't have yet/at their age is pretty true to life. :shobon:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

They do go bang, and since they hold way more energy than a normal battery the results can be pretty hilarious. But I'd still rather have 1 of those than a bunch of vanilla batteries

Once, I had a PPC built in the same cavern as my Rimefeller refineries (and chemfuel storage).

It, uh, didn't end well.

Same run redeemed itself when I got a raid of 23 drop-podded raiders all kitted with flak and sniper rifles, they landed on the far side of an old sapper tunnel that dug up into my animal pen. Said tunnel was directly in line of fire of my Punisher Railgun. One railgun discharge later and there's 17 corpses.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Is there a way to convert colonists into prisoners?

I've got a couple of useless colonists I'd like to convert into hemogen farms. It's annoying having to schedule the operations manually.

Draft someone with ok social and right-click the victim for a "Force arrest" option. If you have Ideology, you can use the Accuse ritual

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

This could also give you advance notice of raids, traders and visitors, but I think that might require rewriting the respective events so it's probably a no go.

Rimatomics has a Raid Early Alert System Scanner as one of it's late game powersinks, so this is doable in some form

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kanos posted:

Megasloths aren't pen animals.

For non-pen animals, you'll need to create a new area, expand it to where you want big guy to be able to go, and set him to that area.

Best done by making said new area in area management (accessible from expand/shrink area), Invert-ing it so it selects the whole map by default, and then removing the area containing your house, or at the very least the kitchen and freezer.

If a hauling wild animal can't access your warehouse, put a low priority stockpile zone under a roofed area they can access so that they can at least haul the stuff right up to your front door for colonists to then quickly shift inside.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I want to say that barricade walls count as fences for animals?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Dareon posted:

He's a Barkkin from... Genetics Expanded Mammalia, I think? I know the Mammalia part is right, at least. The salient genes are the stomach boosts, claws, a boost to damage while unarmed, Aggressive, Kill Thirst, and Carnivore.

e: It's Biotech Expansion - Mammalia, and here's the genes:

(Natural Focus is from a different mod, it just gives a gene to tribals that lets them use anima trees, it was installed back when tribal babies couldn't use the trees and I haven't removed it)

You'll want to be careful with one of those guys. I've made colonists like that and (more than once!) they got into a social fight and punched the other colonist's head into oblivion, Jason Takes Manhattan style

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

I sorta wish there was a cannibalism light, like butchering is acceptable but eating it is gross, so you can still sell the leather and turn the meat into fuel or whatever. Relaxed cannibalism with human meat disabled in the kitchen is basically this already but like, if my brain wasn't weird and stupid I wouldn't have this many hours in the game.

I think that's called "The corpse trough at the boar farm"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

coca leaves can make an antiseptic, hemostatic, pain-relieving poultice. the required tools are a mortar and pestle and a bandage, assuming you don't just chew it. i'm not talking about refined cocaine, i'm talking about plants that have been eaten, drunk or applied as teas or tinctures, or applied as poultices, and have proven or likely therapeutic effects. in the case of opium and coca, there's definitive evidence they've been used that way since ancient greece and european contact, and circumstantial evidence that goes back to the neolithic.

But can they handle ghosts in the blood?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Busters posted:

First time raising a baby in a colony. I asked the expectant mother to build a crib. They added some art and gave it a foreboding name. Colonist Ross is the father.

I guess Ross is really good at polishing that lady's parka :quagmire:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

TIL giving someone with a psychite addiction the Psychite Immune gene does not stop their addiction.

So I sighed and opened character editor

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Don't mind the behemoths, they like pets.

More concerned about that spatial distortion in your lobby.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

There's a mod called Vanilla Outposts that lets you send out people to make various semi-passive resource production camps who send stuff back home.

Also tell me more about this Great Tree thing you've got going.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Congrats on your first "Oh I should research firefoam poppers" event.

Mine was a zzt from a Rimatomics super-battery-capacitor in my Rimefellar oil storage cavern... which was also my oil refining, chemfuel processing, and power plant cavern...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

He just needs undergrounder and he'd be the perfect gamergate nerd

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

Oh god I forgot it exploded

Rimworld: Oh god I forgot it exploded

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Having said that, Vanilla Expanded does keep releasing new cool looking poo poo, the latest one is a Lycanthrope xenotype. There's some meme bullshit in there like a gene that triggers your morph randomly but overall seems like a good pack of stuff

Makes me miss the Rims of Madness suite of mods: It had the lovecraftian poo poo, cults, victorian/steampunk stuff for aesthetics, the original bones mod, and then WoD-inspired vampires, werewolves, and a mod that added Giant Spiders

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Worshipping Bast and sacrificing captives to create Giant Guardian Panthers which you then chrome up with a pet bionics mod was also kickin rad.

e: Checking my old posts, yeah once I had a Cyber-Panther get hungry while out and about, and instead of coming in for kibble, decided to just casually kill and eat the closest wildlife.

It was a Megasloth :stare:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2023

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

One of my best shooters was out hunting and got got by basically the most dangerous possible foe for someone with a comparatively slow firing rifle: Ten manhunter British Shorthair Cats. She had no hope of outrunning them and although she managed to plink down five or six before contact, they were just too small even for her real solid accuracy to prevail.

Turns out four cats can tear an adult human to shreds in a couple of seconds if they put their minds to it. We have four cats irl so this is concerning to me.

One of them even survived to make contact with the backup pawn who showed up first and the resultant infection in his head got to 99% before immunity.

Goddamn cats

Anyone who played D&D 3.5 probably knows that a standard housecat can kill a level 1 commoner like 75% of the time in a fight, this checks out.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

Another -80 drop and you're going to see some real wild poo poo

I don't think Rimworld simulates Carbon Dioxide condensating out of the atmosphere, unfortunately. Cowards.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I think a forced-open door in the "chimney" spot for a cooling stack makes it more efficient but that might not be valid anymore.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Lysidas posted:

This is really neat, but I hadn't realized upon installing that it's treated as a separate map with no automatic pathing between the two. I'd been hoping to use it as a portable prefab shelter for long range mineral scanner expeditions, and it still looks useful for that, but I'm not enthralled with having to micromanage that colonist's schedule to make sure they're inside the RV during sleep time so they don't get a negative moodlet from sleeping on the ground when there's a nice warm comfy bed inside the RV.

I'm guessing this is an engine limitation that would be very difficult to work around, but fingers crossed that this'll be feasible at some point.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523058989

Here's a mod that makes a repackable prefab housing, along with a portable chemfuel-powered campfire-analogue. Mod maintainer just announced they're going to update it for 1.5 as well

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

You know the Alpha Biomes modders are gonna give us the Full Meat Biome and I cannot wait :kheldragar:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I unshackled the Torment Nexus. :orb:

It went well... until it didn't.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 17, 2024

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm actually glad to see some straight up advantage to psychic deafness because it's been going very heavily the other way for quite a while now.

Conversely, as someone without Royalty, I'm glad to finally see a disadvantage to Psychic Deafness instead of it just being a free two points in a custom xenogerm - the penalty to void rituals

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

And yeah, I grabbed the pawn, we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I'd already sold the Luci I'd found in the nearby ancient danger, so I guess it's time to go raid some complexes.

And this is why you leave a cryptosleep casket intact in the ancient danger for just such an occasion.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

This week on the Rim: Some Neanderthals are about to attack, I send out my one Yttakin fighter to Warcall a nearby grizzly bear, and then am confused when my guy suddenly is KO'd and bleeding out when nobody is near him.

Then the Metalhorror Emergence event popup appears! Turns out my man got infected from a sightstealer(?!?!?) awhile ago, and infected three of my other six colonists while feeding them at some point. So now I have a bleeding out colonist slowly crawling home while his metalhorror spawn and an angry bear are fighting the invaders, and in-base, my vampire, his dirtmole wife, and a slightly-dinged-up pigskin fighter (who had beaten up a gorehulk a day prior) are going bedroom to bedroom beating up the horrors while the vamp is spamming Coagulate on everyone.

Somehow, everyone survives (the raiders tried to kidnap the Yttakin but his carrier lost too much blood and collapsed at the map edge, giving :drac: enough time to chain Leap over and coagulate/rescue my guy, drag him back to base, and dump a hemogen pack into him.)

24h later another neanderthal raid happens, 2 colonists die, 3 get kidnapped, most of my power plants get destroyed. Of my remaining two colonists, one is injured and resting, the other (my remaining good medic and construction pawn) is going to die of the flu within a day because the past 48h of events resulted in her not getting enough medical treatment. I have her rebuild my geothermal plant before she dies.

Then the Obelisk outside hits 100% and my last pawn Goes Away. A thunderstorm sets the field around my geothermal plant on fire and it burns down, 600 meat in my freezer promptly expires.

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

ccubed posted:

Isn't there a trick with a door and coolers?

Make a + shape with four coolers with the hot sides all pointing inwards, the center square being a perma-open door with an opened roof