Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've been trying desperately to enjoy this game for the better part of a week but it seems hellbent on resisting fun every single step of the way. I've probably started 30+ colonies in that time and not a single one has lasted more than a year.

The big problem is animal attacks. It was funny seeing someone get mauled by a rabbit the first time, but it got real fuckin old after the dozenth time on a single playthrough. It's probably been my leading cause of colony collapse and I'm really struggling to prevent it.

So far my main take away is that guns are completely useless and are best off being melted down for something scrap. They have a fire rate that can be measured in eons, an accuracy measured in fractions of a percent, and are a guaranteed death sentence if the person holding it gets into melee range. I think I might rush plate armor and give everyone clubs on my next run so they can have a fighting chance against whatever animal is going to be attacking them in 5 minutes.

I just want to see some funny evil poo poo happen without needing a die roll to see if the game will let me play it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Thanks for the tips guys. The friendly fire thing is actually huge, because I've been keeping my ranged users spaced pretty far from the melee guy to avoid it, and thus probably ruining their aim. If I can make a choke point and shoot over a guy wearing a flak vest without fear, that's a huge game changer.

Since we're talking about it, is Randy still generally considered to be the only storyteller that isn't explicitly and constantly trying to kill you? I read that early on and found him a lot more natural and fun than Classic Lady.

Lastly, to lighten the mood, I'll share one of the game-overs that got a chuckle out of me. My doctor got critically injured by a lynx while gathering lumber, and when I sent another settler to help, THAT settler got mauled and critically wounded as well. My third guy had no medicine skill at all, so I had to order the near-dead doctor out of bed to save her rescuer, which apparently caused her to throw a tantrum and run around punching doors for about 5 seconds before collapsing from blood loss. They both died by nightfall.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i will never do evil actions while playing rimworld you cannot compel to this. Even if it's something like putting a clearly insane and deadly monster in the punishment sphere to get free electricity

I play pretty nicely for the most part, but you better loving believe that those refugees who betrayed my trust and killed my pet guinea pig got turned into Seamus from Family Guy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Is there some reason my colonists never, ever, ever eat at a table even though they literally cannot get to the freezer without walking right past one?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I tried playing a game as a neanderthal tribe, which went pretty well right up until my first siege. The raiders are Ytakin or whatever, so I'm outnumbered 2:1 by people who can match me in melee and I have no ranged ability to speak of. I don't think my full frontal assault on their position killed a single person.

Is it just game over at this point? Does melee have any counterplay whatsoever to siege warfare?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

So this actually ended up being a very cool and teachable moment.

I should probably have clarified that I'm solidly into the industrial age and have my people equipped with flak vests and good quality steel weapons and helmets. A few have shield belts.

I decided to try and wait out the shells and see what happened. They mostly just missed and knocked over a wall or two, thenn started attacking en masse.

Long story short, I managed to split up the raiders and kill enough to force a retreat. Aside from one kid that got caught outside the walls and a bunch of my polar bears, there were no casualties. My hospital facilities are top notch thanks to my people constantly being one bad day away from ripping limbs off since the beginning, so I think the wounded will all pull through.

Looking back on it, there were a lot of tools that could have helped me. Jetpack would have probably been best, but even smokebombs would have made a big difference, and of course I could have built my own mortars. Hell, I probably could have chucked a few molotovs at the encampment and torched then out

Anyway I love my dumb indestructible cavemen so much and this game owns.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Aaaaaand I immediately got hit with another, bigger siege. Guess this colony is done for, but it was a hell of a ride.

Gonna lasso everyone up and send them out in a blaze of glory.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

jokes posted:

Can't you stack a melee defense in your favor by having 3 melee people blocking a 1-tile entrance so that the first guy is always engaged in melee with 3 of your guys? I also don't know how you can be melee only, tribal bows are no joke.

e: Oh it was a siege. Couldn't you just trigger their assault and book it back into your defense/chokepoint?

I tried that but I couldn't peel them away from the encampment. I only had a few good gunmen and they just got injured when they tried.

Also I was playing as neaderthals so melee is kind of my only option. Like I said, though, if I had mortars of my own, or jet packs, or even just some explosives or smoke launchers, things might have gone differently.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Eiba posted:

Unless you were doing a themed run with strict rules against ranged weapons, it would still be worthwhile to give some of your neanderthals a sniper rifle or two, or some bolt action rifles with the goal not of doing significant damage, but just annoying the attackers enough from range to come at you. Every hit is a 10% chance to get them to abandon their mortars and assault. It probably would have taken a while, and if the attackers had long range guns of their own it would have been really fiddly to try and stay safe, but that would still be a viable way to force an engagement.

I'm a bit late but not only is this good to know, the mental image of a handful of cavemen trying to figure out how bolt action firearm work and firing all over the place until the raiders get too annoyed to tolerate it any longer is pretty funny.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I've come to like the animal variety on boreal maps. Between horses, alpaca, bears, and megasloths you've got top-tier tamable animals foe any purpose you could want, and unlike tropical rainforest the rest are generally pretty safe to hunt.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Rimworld just taught me a new phrase; "organ murder".

It was a steep learning curve but this game was truly made for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Mind you, this was after he spend a year as my prisoner, confined to a bed after getting both legs shattered, as I plundered his entire genome and sold off his kidney and one of his lungs.

I didn't have the presence of mind to make him into dog food afterwards but nobody's perfect.