Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

What's the best way to make cash money? Selling guns seems to work well but obviously you're relying on raisers carrying guns you'd want to sell like pistols or lee enfields. I tried to buy low se high but no one seems to buy anything that anyone else is selling, unless I got some bullshit unlucky trader spawns or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I have a grizzled, one armed space marine called grim who spends his time oneshotting both bandits and squirrels with his last remaining arm. With a sniper rifle. From 45 tiles away. Because he has like 14 shooting skill.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

I have a grizzled, one armed space marine called grim who spends his time oneshotting both bandits and squirrels with his last remaining arm. With a sniper rifle. From 45 tiles away. Because he has like 14 shooting skill.

Laffo, after sniping some dudes in a firefight, he got his other arm shot off. he then continued sniping and being my chef for like another 60 days (apparantly having no arms is not a problem for cooking and sniping or something) before finally getting his leg shot off. Then I had to starve him to death in the hospital. Rip in peace Grim.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Using rock walls to funnel every enemy on one side of the map into HELL ALLEY is so funny, dudes come around a corner and like 4 turrets shoot them from the right while my dudes shoot them from the front. Enfilading fire, bitches :getin:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So uh. How do I deal with this ship part that just crashed. When i shoot it t spawned literally about 20 centipedes and 20 reavers, and I actually cannot focus enough fire onto them to kill them before they kill me. I am really unsure what to do here.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

gently caress it, I'm going to enable blasting charges and mine the entire loving thing because mechanoids are horribly broken lategame. I realise they're meant to like the big trundling "flank these guys!!" enemies but when theres like 15 of them that's basically impossible

edit: haha that still doesn't work because you can't get enough charges near the thing to blow it up. loving mechanoids.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 22, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well, even with embrasueres I could not beat the squad of 15 hell centipedes. also I couldn't snipe them because reavers are deadly accurate and shot some guys while they were getting sniped. The main problem is the inferno cannon is broken as gently caress and basically makes it impossible to mount an effective defence. You can't even dodge effectively because the AOE is massive and if anyone gets hit by it even slightly they'll run around for a bit and become out of position. And then since everything is on fire you can't adaquately reposition your mans (Even though I make everything out of stone, including the floors). It wouldn't be so bad if the inferno shells didn't keep flying through my defences and exploding behind them. While this is cool it means it's basically impossible to deal with. Ugh.

Also, because everything was on fire, all my civilians ran out into the loving inferno to die. There really needs to be some kind of "don't go here unless drafted" tag because god damnit.

Like I understand you're meant to be using different tactics to beat the mechanoids, but they can literally just deathmarch into your base and because of the sheer number of the things it's impossible to kill them before they kill you, given how tanky they are.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 22, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Infernos are best dealt with in an area with no clear lines of sight, and a bunch of grenades. Cover doesn't work on them, but not being in LOS does, so if you pop out long enough to throw a nade and then break LOS, they can't shoot you.

Bonus points for using multiple colonists and waiting for them to focus on one, then popping another out to hit them from behind.

I actually made an attempt at this but the problem was that if I'm out in the open where I can adaquately flank, the supporting reavers absolutely TEAR through dudes because of their accuracy. Also infernos don't give warning when they will fire like the minigun wielding ones do (they don't have an aiming rectacale). If you spend too long shooting at them they'll fire without warning and the fire will basically render that stratagy totally worthless. Also given the sheer number of them, while I'm trying to focus one down, it's buddies have innundated the entire field of battle in a firestorm of bullets and fire. Like, I can do the whole "flank them while they're aiming" thing against groups of 2 or 3, but with 15 of the loving things in a block the size of my mess hall it's just impossible.

I feel like an EMP rifle and an emp grenade launcher would even the scales somewhat, and making EMP nades do damage and minor confusion instead of just a resistible stun. Alternatively, armour piercing weapons.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

My favourite part is I've had two people go mad from treating people because colonists don't think that eating or sleeping is important when they need to doctor people up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Haha, dear god, a siege spawned, shortly followed by visitors. Resulting in about 50 guys walking into 40 guys and a massive firefight ensuing. I love randy Random, he's the best storyteller just for poo poo like this. Now to wait for it to end and turn my fort into auchwitz becuase of the 80 corpses lying around.

So much free armour and guns though!!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah, I found that out on my short first game.

They really need to fix the bug with large visitor groups though. Essentially they stick around for so long they'll start starving and get exhausted. At this point, someone in the group will break resulting in a huge firefight Dwarf fortress tantrum spiral style, where he dies, giving everyone a "ally died" and "saw a corpse" penalty, which then results in more people breaking, and so on. At this point you may be in trouble because if this poo poo breaks out in the middle of your base you're going to lose people in the crossfire. I actually savescummed this one on my game sadly because it broke out in the centre of my base and 3 people outright died in the crossfire and then this crowd of 50 retards turned hostile because one of my guys shot at one of the crazy guys.

My solution: When they arrived next time, built a wall around them and waited for them to starve to death. They are okay with this apparantly :toot:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ugh, 120 colonists couldn't beat 20 centipedes, even when the colonists had excellent lines of fire from all angles. Centipedes are just broken right now. I'm not really sure what the tactic is for dealing with more than 3 or 4 of the things because eventually it gets to the point where you can't reliably focus fire them down because they're in an enormous clump of miniguns and inferno cannons.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jBrereton posted:

How on earth did you acquire 120 colonists.

It was a visitors wave of 120 colonists, when they left the centipedes dropped right in the middle of them and hence were surrounded on all sides by guys shooting at them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I usually take a caveworld space miner if I can, they get 16 mining skill which lets you get an absolute gently caress-ton of metal early by mining all the local metal patches.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Huszsersvn posted:

My colony of 160!

A lot of my shooters are trained, clothed in hyperweave, armed, armored and then released for general labour. White helms for Lee-Enfield rifles, black helms for M16s.

Huh, Only Lee enfields and M16s huh? Why not more advanced stuff like M24s and R4s?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm currently Building layers of fire-walls with shitloads of sandbags in front of them. Not to provide cover, but to slow down the ravaging hordes while my troops fall back to the next fire-wall.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

That's the easiest way to get rid of corpses early anyway. I often. Pile em up in chok points and burn them right as guys attack so they are forced to attack through a pile of burning rotting corpses.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

code:
x-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x
------------------------
Where X are walls and dashes are sandbags. You put colonists behind the walls so they can get 3/4 cover very easily so you'll almost never lose dudes. For bonus points, roof that area so that it's dark in there. Downside is you'll need a couple of layers of this ideally because it's great for shooting out of but if a single guy gets in there your dudes murder eachother with crossfire.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I can already see mods are going to fill the gap in the heating/cooling section. Essentially my major complaint right now is that there's no "window" item that just normalises the temperature with whatever it's connected to. I can't be efficient and have my freezer room heating my Dining and kitchen room for example because the kitchen/diner gets so warm that colonists die in it while the fridge stays at a constant -10. In reality thered be some kind of wall louvres to vent the heat outside.

And by the same logic, leaving windows open at night to get rooms cold during the night and closing them in the day to try to keep buildings cooler in the desert.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh also, theres a hotfix out, I think the big issue is that it fixes is the one where people trapped in rooms could abuse their telekinetic powers to do things anywhere on the map without physically being there.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I've had to start selling the millions of parkas I have in my base to buy the rocket launchers with because gently caress mechanoids and the God drat unstoppable centipede death trains.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

Project Armory adds more guns the the game, none of them are particularly OP. Table of the weapons here:

http://dev.evul.nu/rimworld/ProjectArmory/WeaponTable211.jpg

They're also incredibly generic and incredibly boring to play with, and makes cleaning up after fights a stupidly time consuming job. Just get Guns+ (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8283.0) which adds some nice weapons without being stupidly duplicative of the original weapons.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Alaan posted:

Yeah I think materials that require extra to use could use some tweaking. My level 20 artist made a silver statue worth less than the materials by a fair deal.

It's because previously statues made of "small" materials could sell for upwards of like 100k, making them impossible to use in practice. I think he just needs to get rid of the distinction between large and small materials because it's totally pointless at this stage.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Legit way: Get the Scythers to chase you and take them out, then snipe the centipedes. If they are resolute on charging then space your guys out in a field and duke it out with good guns like m-16s

The cheaty way is to build a building around them and light the inside on fire. They are susceptible to super high heat.

Other cheaty way is to just build a bunch of turrets right next to it and have that chain reaction take them out.

Build cover on each side of the crashed ship part and put dudes on both sides of the crashed ship. Mechanoids have real problems focusing fire (by design) and so get confused by fire coming from multiple places and will tend to aim at one dude, get hit in the rear end, spin around and try to shoot the dude that just hit them, then rinse and repeat till they're dead.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

No, they only range from disabled to 4 to 1, and within each priority they have internal priorities of their own, so basically unless you make cleaning priority 1 (e.g.) then certain tasks just never get done because they're overridden by others in the same user priority.

Pretty much this. Because of it, people either clean all the time or none of the time and it's basically impossible to get a middle ground unless the only other job the have to do is doctoring or something.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm more weirded out by the tree change, why is that?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The restriction, or the reversion?

Being able to grow your own trees allows you to raise infinite wood very quickly, on anything other than a permafrost map. It is understandable that there would be a desire to limit the trivialisation of a resource.

On the other hand, on forest maps, wood is trivial anyway, so it is more of a specific oddity for desert maps, and on tundra maps, it is quite hard to grow trees as your greenhouses are needed for food a lot of the time.

I imagine the change was trialed and nobody liked it, so it was changed back.

The reversion of the change. He made it quite a big deal that it wasn't going to be a problem because of the icnreased plant spread, then reversed it one day after the first alpha 10 launch.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Killboxes would work better if the AI could identify them and work around them. Defence in depth would be nice but currently the AI prioritizes cover over anything else so will happy charge through your 5 mingunners, climb over the sandbags and walk past your guys to take up cover behind them, which makes effective defence in depth difficult. If enemies had some kind of penalty to movespeed or had to go prone while moving under heavy fire it would make non-killbox stratagies much better.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The real thing he needs to do is add a "Suppression" bar, because currently the only reason killboxes are needed is because lategame you get a crowd of 30 bandits turn up who can walk through withering barrages of fire because the front couple of dudes take all the bullets each time as they advance. If people got suppressed when people shot at them or near them it would allow defence that doesn't revolve around focusing the fire of 20 colonists into the suicide rush to stop them getting behind your defences.

It would probably mean he'd need to add a "prone" status effect to pawns though so that when they are suppressed they drop to the ground and move a lot slower, or retreat to a safe distance.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I get the feeling like he's not going to just stop development but do develop more casually. Modders seem to be adding a lot of new content now but it's things like, yeah, the visitor system, raids and the lack of a late game feeling that currently stand out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It was some good arguments, I think the most pressing one was that new players who don't know tynan would be up in arms that the developer hosed off right after launch, and the benefits of steam release are very few compared to the existing system.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Right.

What the game could do with is QoL features for the core gameplay like weapon/equipment 'sets' for when people get drafted versus offduty, so using modded tools that give workspeed bonuses is less of a slog.

Stuff like a solid first aid system would also help players and raiders, especially on larger maps.

What we're getting is amniotic fluid spray clustering, life stages that raise the barrier to entry just that little bit to anyone who wants to add new stuff to the game, and increasingly intricate nuzzling algorithms.

Do we really have to make our workers clean up muffalo placentas if we want whatever actually cool stuff is going to be in the next big patch? Is that where this game should go?

That would require a complete re-work of how raids and combat works because currently you are more than likely not going to have enough time for your guys to get their combat gear on before raiders shoot them all. The first aid system as it currently is works pretty well.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They can also have hidden areas that you can't see at landing that are connected to the map edge and hence fill with shitloads of wildlife.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Also he changed the manhunter AI to no longer attack doors because it would mean that warg attacks would be something you'd have to defend against with weapons rather than provide defence against with doors/walls.

edit: i mean christ can you imagine that early on? Even an early warg attack is like 4 or 5 wargs and thats enough to wipe your starting colonists given how tanky they are and how hard they hit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I think modders can quite rightly ask for donations for work they've done, but compiling other peoples work into your own mod and not giving credit is a dick move, especially if you then ask for donations on it. Well thats my two cents.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

Build a room around the ship part like that, with wooden beds to the right, where the fire is. Put an incendiary IED next to the beds. Get a dude to stand in the corner where the chair is on the picture, and melee attack the ship. Mechanoids will spawn and trigger the IED eventually, setting the beds on fire. This will raise the temperature in the room enough to kill them. Remove the roof, dismantle a wall and set the place to home area to put out the fire. Do not destroy the ship part while the place is on fire, you will destroy the items that drop.

I saw something similar to this but with like 4 turrets, which promptly chain exploded and incapped everything.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I remember the old version of visitors, where it used the same (old) logic as raids did with regards to how many people it should have. Since this was based solely on wealth at this point rather than population, you could easily get raids with 200 or so guys on. When visitors came, I used to just wall them in (to stop them going crazy and murdering my guys, this was when visitors didn't have food on them when they visited, so they'd routinely go mad from hunger). This had the hilarious side effect of a neverending chain of people going berzerk in there and starting the thunderdome, where all the negative "saw a corpse" "killed a friend" etc penalties would quickly add up into a neverending murderbrawl in the walled off area till everything was dead. Then it's a simple matter of deleting a wall and claiming my sweet sweet power armour.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really? The easiest way to beat enemies is to play whackamole in your base with rock autodoors. Shoot round the corner of the door at people heading towards your dudes, then when they get in melee range you tell your dude to go back inside the building to another door on the other side of the building and shoot out of there. Enemies then basically flank themselves as they keep moving between colonists if you manage this across like 15 colonists and doors.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Azhais posted:

So is the main dev back off his haitus yet? I haven't been paying a lot of attention in recent history

He's kinda back? He last posted in January and stated he was kinda back but not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just put your main corpse storage next to your animal areas, and your dogs, cats and other omnivores will happily eat bits off them with no loss of morale to your colonists other than the normal "Seen a corpse" mood effect. Saves having to feed animals properly.