Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I've been reading this thread off and on ever since I saw Scott Manley's quick look at the game, and all of your wonderful stories, in addition to being delightfully entertaining to read, have finally convinced me to give in and buy the game myself. Thanks, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Well, this game was fun while it lasted.

Played a normal game, and had a blast. Played with that goon recommended modpack, plus a few more Alpha 6 compatible mods, and had an even bigger blast. But the next day, I couldn't even get the game to load. Uninstalled, deleted all the configuration files, and reinstalled, and now the game just hangs every time I try to apply mods, even though they're the same ones that were working fine just twelve hours before. Sigh. Alphas. :(

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Well, the game doesn't so much crash as it does hang, forever, upon clicking the "close" button after applying mods. Have to shut it down with the task manager, so there's no real crash report generated. I'll try a few things, see if I can't pin this problem down. And yeah, I knew to delete the stuff in the documents folders.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Aha! I figured it out! Turns out the game wasn't hanging at all. It was just taking for-loving-ever to apply even a single mod! Ten plus minutes to apply Project Armory. Weird, considering I applied a whole host of mods with little to no delay just yesterday. Oh well. Looks like if I want to play modded Rimworld, I'm going to have to wait an hour for the game to launch, every time. :suicide:

edit: 20+ minutes to apply the Gun Emplacements mod. Jesus christ.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Man, it sucks having to keep putting people down by staving them because they lost a leg. I hope the next update gives us a way to fix these people.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting that. One of the items on the developer's changelog mentioned buying limbs from passing trade ships.

Me, I'm itching to play on new biomes. I wanna make a rad Ice Fortress in the Tundra.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Huszsersvn posted:

My colony of 160!

A lot of my shooters are trained, clothed in hyperweave, armed, armored and then released for general labour. White helms for Lee-Enfield rifles, black helms for M16s.

How does your game not grind to a complete halt the second those colonists get out of bed?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I find more than 20 colonists to be an absolute pain to manage and build for, so I usually limit myself to that many.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

nightwisher posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned before or not, but for anyone who is annoyed by having to constantly choose a material each time you select a wall, the bottom option in the interface settings changes it so you have to right click it to bring the material menu up. Saves a bunch of clicking.

I'm pretty sure this is only a feature of the EdB interface mod. But still, definitely good to know, and everyone should be using that mod anyways.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 1, 2014

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

nightwisher posted:

It took me at least a hundred rerolls but I finally gen'ed a planet with a mountain next to a coast. This is the result:

I am going to build SUCH a loving colony in that bay :getin:

I did not even realize that was possible. That's awesome. Sucks that the plasteel deposit is across untraversible deep water, though.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Build cover on each side of the crashed ship part and put dudes on both sides of the crashed ship. Mechanoids have real problems focusing fire (by design) and so get confused by fire coming from multiple places and will tend to aim at one dude, get hit in the rear end, spin around and try to shoot the dude that just hit them, then rinse and repeat till they're dead.

If you have a guy with a reasonably decent personal shield, centipedes with miniguns and energy cannons can't seem to hit them enough to bring the shield down. Just have that one guy run around just outside of melee range, staying moving to reduce hit chance, while you have some other guys with whatever automatic weapons you have wear it down. The Centipede will focus on the nearest person and leave your fire team unmolested.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Tommofork posted:

Good for you buddy. I'm not upset that I paid for a product, upset is even too strong a word, it's that I gave money to a complete shithead and I don't like that. It's also whiplash because he seemed like a chill, cool dude from his communications via reddit, patchnotes, so it was shocking to see him come out swinging hard for team racist dickhead.

Basically never talk politics or religion still applies.

Yeah, the views Tynan states are reprehensible and wrong, but I have a hard time actually hating the guy for it. Unless he's actively out there, directly inflicting his bigotry on real people by... I dunno, throwing bricks through windows or spitting on people he passes in the street or whatever, then I can't really think he's an evil person. Just unfortunately misguided and wrong. Lots of otherwise good people have had bad or hateful opinions or beliefs. Hopefully, he grows up and realizes just how badly astray his views are. In the meantime, though, I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying his game. I mean it is a good game, after all.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Because your silver operates as your cash instead of a resource to be bought and sold? Unless you somehow had $0 when you tried to trade, in which case is your trade beacon hooked into your power?

I've had this problem as well, so it's not a unique issue. I've got plenty of cash on hand to trade with trade caravans, but when I trade with a passing spaceship,my silver appears zeroed out. I don't understand it, since I've got stacks and stacks.of the stuff in a stockpile zone under a powered beacon.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

By silver appears zeroed out do you mean you can't drag silver over to traders? Because silver is automatically traded now. You just have to select the item you want and hit ok now.

Nah, I mean the game treats my colony's wallet as empty when I trade with spaceships. I can buy tgings no problem from trade caravans. But if I try to buy even the smallest, cheapest quantity of anything from a passing spaceship, the trade window will say I have Zero silver up the top, and will say "your colony cannot afford this trade,"and despite me having stacks of thousands of silver in a trade stockpile under the umbrella of a powered orbital beacon.

Forgive my typos. Posting from a phone is awkward.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Shinzo's Animu Hair mod got updated to A13. So that's the best mod now.

I found that Rimsenal's hairs were better.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Incorrect; cleanliness is applied at the time of cooking. Only the kitchen's cleanliness, the cook's skill, and absolutely nothing else matters for food poisoning chance.

How in the world did my pet muffalo get food poisoning from uncooked corn, then?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Seein' a lot of squares and rectangles in all the base showcases here. You guys should experiment with different room shapes! Sure, it may not be as efficient, but it is more fun!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

There had better be a bottomless supply of smokeleaf in this facility. That looks awesome.

You'd better believe it. My colonists were :350: 100% of the time. It is a goddamned miracle all those brain surgeries went as well as they did.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Jesus christ how much planning did you go through to build rooms like that :psyduck:

Not as much as you might expect. I got that mod that lets you use make plans in four different colors, so when I get to the point where my initial colony is stable and I'm not at immediate risk of starving/freezing/burning to death, I just pause the game, sit back, and start drawing for like... half an hour. I like big interconnected complexes, with a large central room with hallways radiating out from the middle, and it usually takes me several seasons before I can get everything built. The important thing is being flexible with your plans, and leaving room for changing circumstances. Like, I was all "Oh poo poo, I didn't plan for a hospital!" so I had to find some where to tuck it in in a hurry. That's why it's sandwiched in there between my workshop, dining hall, and bedrooms. That's also why you can sort of see bedrooms encroaching in on the space around my trade beacon; had a couple of people join who I couldn't turn down because I'm a huge soft-hearted baby. :(

Think I'm going to try something different next time though. Maybe a giant singular castle with a bunch of themed rooms.

As for the mods I'm using, the list is... pretty huge. Over 70 individual mods, so I'll try to just hit the highlights:

Furniture and cosmetic stuff:
*[T] More Floors & [T] More Beds.
*Dye Vat
*More Furniture
*Izzyssentials Core (+ Furniture, Hydro, Lights, Solar, Switch, etc)
*Helpful Lights and Miscellany V1.4
*No Visible Hats and V15 Better Faces, because I use Prepare Carefully and I like to see the faces and hairstyles of my little OCs.
*V15 RimHair styles Merged.
*LT-Gardening
*[sd] spaceship. Completely cosmetic. Just a bunch of fins and wings and greebles to make your spaceship look more spaceshippy.
*Recolor stockpile.
*Caveworld Flora, cuz it's pretty.
*Small walls. Haven't used this yet, but it does some neat purely cosmetic things, like floors that look like staircases.
*RIMkea. Same as above. Haven't used it yet, but the furniture looks neat.

Game changers:
*Miscellaneous 'CORE' and Misc. Incidents and Misc. MapGenerator. Gives you the option to hear rumors and sends some of your colonists out on away missions. Plus, I like the look of the tactical computer, and the new ruins it spawns on mapgen are pretty cool.
*Extra Planning, which allows you to plan with a bunch of new colors.
*[sd] advanced power generation, which lets you build upgraded wind and geothermal turbines, as well as a very late game nuclear reactor. A bit OP, but I like the aesthetic.
*Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering, combined with A Dog Said... A15, because it's rad to tame a timberwolf and turn it into Blade Wolf.
*Vegetable Garden Tools alpha 15. Lets you lay down soil on top of smoothed stone. Completely overpowered.
*Miniaturization. Lets you uninstall and reinstall a bunch of workbenches and structures. Really helps if you want to reorganize your base.
*RedistHeat. I can't play without this. My single industrial freezer with four contained exhaust outlets kept my whole base heated through -50 degree winters. Also, the pipes are rad aesthetic pieces, the way you can make them crisscross over hallways and stuff.
*Rimsenal, and all the Rimsenal submods. Like RedistHeat, I don't even play a new release until Rimsenal gets updated. Adds a bunch of themed weapons and armors to the game, complete with new factions to boot. Most of it is fairly balanced. Some of it can feel a little OP. But the most important thing of all is that it looks cool.

And I have a shitton of smaller mods that add a bunch of different functionality here or there, like work tabs or UI changes or power consumption tweaks or such and such, but those above are the main ones, and the big cosmetic ones.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

Play vanilla until you get used to it, then work up to the mods.

This. Also, uncheck "Scenarios" when looking up mods on the Workshop. Cutting out the ten thousand "Your colonists start, like... totally high/drunk!" scenarios makes browsing the modlist much more manageable.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

first game I've managed to make it past winter!

but randy loving tried. raid on the east side of the map, and at the same time, boomrat maneater on the west

That sounds like a pair of problems that would cancel eachother out.

Also, does it bother anyone else that 'gay' is a trait? I use prepare carefully a lot, and I hate having to spend a trait slot on it if I want to make a planet of fabulously beautiful bloodhungry cyborgs.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

So I finally figured out the thing that was bothering me the most in my transition from years of Dwarf Fortress to Rimworld

I miss rivers...

There's a mod for that!

Sort of, anyways: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751887749

In addition to a fuckton of trees, this mod'll also add a bunch of snakey river-like water features to Temperate Forest maps on mapgen.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

That's pretty sick but I'm not feeling the trees. That's just way too dense.

Ends up being a moot point once you've had a few dry thunderstorms, or a poison ship or two.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Shirec posted:

So redist heat is broken right when I started to mess around with the ductwork part. Hopefully it starts working again soon, but who knows.
Also thank you to whoever recommended Kudzu/whatever it's name is now! It makes the world feel way better!

You're welcome! How's redist heat broken, though? I haven't noticed anything wrong yet, but I'm playing on a desert map with not a lot of significant temperature variation, so I may have not noticed whatever the issue.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Azhais posted:

I've literally never had redist heat cool anything without using duct coolers to cool the network. Using intakes from a cold room never worked (using intakes for heat did)

How are the duct coolers? I've never tried them. I've always used intakes from my freezer to pipe cold air over to my medical storage.

beerinator posted:

Is this the mod that adds more trees?

Yah. Only changes jungle, temperate forest, and boreal forest biomes.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I wish there was a way to upgrade turrets or mount different weapons on them though. I want mini gun and triple rocket launcher turrets :getin:

Huh. I wonder what would happen if you put a single shot weapon like the TRL or the Doomsday Launcher on one of those Misc. Turret bases.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Also, there is no such thing as building a base "right." Optimized killboxes may be efficient and mountain fortresses may he defensible, but it's by no means a requirement. There's absolutely nothing wrong with building a quaint little village in the center of the map, or a big ol' castle in the middle of a forest. Be an architect! Have fun with it!

And ditch Cassandra and Phoebe. Play Randy Random all day erry day.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Speaking of bases and screenshots, I thought I'd share the one I'd been working on.

I set out on this round with the sole intention of building the biggest and coolest desert fortress I could. So, once I got established and was no longer in immediate fear of death, I sat down and spent a good hour or so just drawing out designs with the planning tool:

Took nearly a whole ingame year before I even had the walls and outer shell up and ready:

And another before I felt comfortable with my colonists actually moving in:

Biggest resource hog was, for sure, the flooring, and it took aaaaaaaages. I'm really happy with how things turned out though, even if I could never get the lighting in the center room quiiiiiiite right:

That's not to say, of course, that the project was not without its setbacks...

But overall. I'm proud of it. I'm especially fond of my treasure hoard:

And my spaceship:

One last look, once everybody left, seven years after planetfall:

Think I'll build an ice sheet fortress next. Those ice walls in the Medieval mod are calling to me.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

One part extensive modding, two parts "Where did my weekend go? I had so many other games I meant to play..."

McGiggins posted:

Yeah, get out of here with your super cool poo poo, it really puts our ramshackle thrown-together-as-we-go poo poo to shame.

I hate you because you're better than me. :colbert:

I'm not, though! Everybody gets something different out of the game. Me, I like to play architect. And I've been inspired by some of the stuff you guys have shown off here too, so don't let me put you off at all!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Wait you can buy mechanoid weapons?

Only Inferno Cannons and miniguns. Heavy Charge Blasters and Charge Lances are unavailable.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I think someone can hold bad opinions without being a bad person, as long as they express a certain willingness to be openminded and have their preconceived notions challenged and changed. I don't think ostracizing and villifying someone for their opinions is a good way to get someone to change; it doesn't really add anything productive to the conversation.

Now that that's out of the way:

Electric Shoes posted:

I'm loving how much extra content you can splice-in with mods!

Here's my current stronghold:

It's probably time to spruce the place up and work on making a mega structure now that my spacemans are post-scarcity.

Bonus shot of my melee meat-shield that's become more machine than man thanks to bionics:

Show off your bases!

I love your base! I've never really had a comfortable grasp on where to put hallways. Also, I notice you're using the crate mod. How is that? The description I read of it didn't reeeaaally give me a good idea of how it worked, and I was worried it might be more tedious than it's worth.

I look forward to seeing the megastructure you come up with!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

horse mans posted:

What mods should I look at to get better physical defenses? Like, what can I replace sandbags with?

ED-Embrasures is a really good defensive structure, to the point where it's actually a little bit OP. They function like walls, in that they cannot be pathed through and also retain heat, but they can be shot through. They completely neuter melee enemies and manhunter packs. I'm going to try going without them on my next run. The Medieval Mod has defensive parapets, which are like embrasures, but enemies can slowly climb over them. And there's a mod called "Helpful lights and miscelany" or something like that, which adds a fortification which provides better cover than sandbags. Looks cool, but costs uranium to build though.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I'm pretty sure the tailoring bench that comes with the Medieval mod lets you deconstruct simple clothing and get some of the cloth/materials back.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Volmarias posted:

No, but if I recall you can build pumps to eliminate shallow water pools.

There's a mod that does that. Lets you build platforms that can support structures on shallow and deep water. Also lets you dig new shallow and deep water, too. Kinda OP, since placing deep water costs nothing but work, and deep water is impassible. I'm trying to use it for the aesthetic only. Sorry, I'm on my phone. Otherwise I'd be able to tell you the name of it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can you repair damaged statues? Trying to think of good ways to bait raiders.

Yes. :D

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Personally, I don't use turrets all that much. Or killboxes. Well equipped colonists on favourable terrain, smartly managed, can handle just about anything on their own. Of course, I also use to Prepare Carefully to fill my colonies with Original The Characters and savescum if any of them die, so don't take my word as gospel.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yayo's Combat generally makes shooting smaller targets easier so one ninja assassin squirrel does not murder a colonist as easily, if you are looking to make shooting things feel a bit more sensible than vanilla.

It also makes your colonists do cool spinny flippy reload animations, which is rad.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a mod that makes colonists sit down in chairs, rather than just standing behind them.

I have no idea what that would even look like. Its not like their bodies have legs or any sort of hinge whatsoever.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

what do you gotta do to survive the first rimworld winter. i can kinda sorta do it but i run out of food halfway through and end up hunting half the animals on the map

Plant more crops. Hunt more animals. Refridgerate more food. Forage more berries. There's not really much you can do aside from "more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

If you hold shift, you can actually queue forced actions.

What?!

I've been playing this game for years and didn't know this. This changes everything.