Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I know nobody but me cares, but hooray, my first really successful run. Just Randy medium, but I started with a tribal start and the last the few I managed to launch with were either on lower difficulties, didn't launch with every colonist, or had a bunch of save scumming. :toot:

Had several mods, but mostly QOL stuff or UI improvements. Tribal definitely slowed down the tech gain down quite a bit, but the map was absurdly loaded with resources and I was usually around 20K+ iron and 100+ components until the final stretch of powering up the ship. Raids by the end were almost all mechanoids because after eight years of doing random quests and prisoner releases I wound up neutral or friendly with all the non-pirate factions. Eight colonists died along the way, three of them in a disastrous midgame mechanoid raid where they got burned up by inferno cannons so badly I couldn't even bury them. There's definitely a lot of inefficiencies in base design, but it worked out well and you can almost make out the two hills I built into and between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Prophecy120 posted:

What coats are Riley and Nog wearing? I play with a ton of mods too and it's hard to keep track of all the new poo poo in 1.0
Just flak jackets. I kinda started growing devilstrand a bit late, and it didn't grow too fast outside in the heat, so I wound up using those as stopgap protection.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Once you have the ship built, you click on the AI core and tell it to start up the engine. Then you have to hold out for fifteen days while it powers up, with the expectation of a raid every other day or so, sometimes with multiple simultaneously if you get unlucky. You don't need to shove anyone into the cryocaskets until the ship's fully powered up so you can have everyone on hand to defend the colony, and you can launch it any time after the fifteen days are up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not a fan of interaction bubbles; the poo poo colonists talk about is utterly inane (since it's procedurally generated) and it just winds up cluttering the screen. Maybe if they changed it to a Sims style emoticon set that got the general gist across without covering the screen in text balloons.
It's interesting to use once or twice just because it makes it obvious just how much pawns interact, and more importantly, where they interact most. But once you get the gist it kind of winds up as UI clutter and you can totally do without, yeah.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's only a war crime if someone can actually prosecute you for it. :911:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You could leave the roof off, you don't need one.

People might attack them but generally not that often if you wall them off. You don't need to access them nomally so just double or triple wall them in and put two or three doors on, then if someone really wants to get in, congrats, they're not joining the main raid on your base.
Might want to leave a one-tile gap between the plant itself and the wall just in case a stray lightning strike or zzzt event makes it catch fire, so your pawns can access all the sides to put it out. But that's kind of a rare case and either way, yeah, I've never seen raids really care about isolated geoplant forts like that. I think they only really want to destroy stuff that's in plain sight so they prefer to beeline for your base proper in most case.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I saw a mod a while back that removed the random flavor debris and pebble graphics from smooth stone floors, but I didn't grab it at the time and I can't seem to find it again. Anyone else remember what it was called? :ohdear:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you! :worship:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've ironically found traps more useful away from the base and running along or near random hills or valleys or the like. It's pretty obvious after a while where raids tend to come from and which routes across the map they'll usually go to get close to you even if they're sappers or whatever, so it's a handy way to thin out a few raiders while having little risk to colonists or guests. Definitely not a main defense anymore though, no.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Time for delicious cat steaks and cat hats!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure the raid type is random, though it's definitely weighted towards the more advanced or aggressive types when you get really high base wealth.

Foam poppers do need LOS, but only to trigger. The foam itself will splatter all over if there's openings.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also yeah, I'm gonna second both Rimefeller and Rimatomics as pretty fun. Both do kind of trivialize certain aspects of vanilla balance, but there's a decent amount of infrastructure investment to get to that point so it doesn't really feel like cheating. And they quietly add nea risks to the game in the process; I'm sure you can envision what a fire near a chemfuel tank or refinery might result in, let alone tge fun of an errant nuclear reactor.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I'm surprised there's no slow-moving melee-only zombie hordes in RimWorld. Dwarfs introduce dwarf raids which are basically the same, but it'd be cooler to have a true horde of zombies.
Those raids are surprisingly challenging too. The dwarves aren't super durable but there's a lot of them and they have decent melee weapons and a good number make it to the front lines. It's an interesting challenge compared to some other faction mods that just throw on overpowered gear or whatever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think you can do it from the dev console too, but I forget where.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is silicosis a thing yet?
This would require colonists living for an appreciable period of time to show symptoms.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AG3 posted:

I have the opposite problem where certain pawns will use the drill constantly, ignoring all their needs and until they get close to mentally breaking or starving. Only some of the pawns do this though, and I can't find anything about those in particular that would cause it. It started after I installed a good number of mods to change stuff up a bit, the major ones being Hospitality and Rimworld of Magic.

There's something sad about being stuck outside in the rainy night, drilling away while soiling yourself, sleepy and starving.
Yeah I run into this too. Not sure what triggers it, and a restart seems to fix it for a while, but it's definitely annoying. I suspect it's something to do with "endless" jobs not being prioritized properly or something, some modded tasks that work similarly like Rimefeller's control console sometimes get the similar problem.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Today's Rimatomics lesson: having a six-PPC zzzt event on top of your nuclear reactor is not something that a few firefoam poppers can really stop in time. Also, building a reactor core deep inside a mountain only helps to a small degree when you need incredibly aggressive cooling to keep the chamber and everything remotely connected to it from becoming a superheated plasma even once it's capped.

:tif:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Today's modded Rimworld lesson: Apparently Android Tiers androids can still get cancer from extreme radiation exposure. Go figure. :pseudo:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's probably an unintended interaction but it makes a certain amount of sense so I don't really mind. And they didn't get the more direct radiation exposure issues (where hanging around a melted down reactor is like death in ten seconds for an unshielded pawn) so that part seemed alright too. Poor hero Dale #63 and his cancerous fuel pump though. :911:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the raid wasn't your fault, and presumably you murdered the raiders responsible and possibly even turned them into jaunty caps while the aggrieved guests got to watch. A+++ would visit again

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

:stare: I have never not had Scythers just rip up my pawns in melee. Those blades are no loving joke.
Yeah you absolutely do not want to make scythers if you can help it. Fortunately they usually outrun the other mechanoids so it's easy to gun them down and punch the rest.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it sounds vaguely interesting in theory, but having to deal with poo poo like ammo tracking to get the rest is a no sale for me, even before getting into how it breaks almost every other mod.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RWOM is so unthematic for the game, but at the same time it kind of highlights how vanilla pawns definitely need a little more specialization and gimmicks than just traits. I've wound up using it a lot even if I tend to try and keep my mods in-theme.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Nanomachines son, magic is alll nanomachines.
:hmmyes:

Weirdly I don't have the same issue with the various race mods. In a future with nanotech and genetic engineering and what not it totally makes sense for there to be androids or people who modded themselves into elves or whatever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Androids does some things better (the droids are probably a better/more fitting version of a T1 tiers droid for example as and being able to custom-build pawns is amusing) but Tiers is a lot more balanced and fleshed out overall. Kinda wish there was something that combined elements of the two more elegantly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that you have to be sure to have at least one melee guy on each centipede or the rest will happily open fire into the fray. Even with the friendly fire this tends to go much worse for the colonists.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

(The corpse explosion thing is a rimworld of magic thing with zombies. They can't be resurrected or cybernetically enhanced without them exploding in unholy power, probably as a balance thing because becoming a zombie changes the pawn's traits and skills.)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SkySteak posted:

Also relating to my earlier comment, has anyone ever dabbled with the Vanilla Expanded furniture:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1718190143

Some of the extra stuff is tempting but I was curious if anyone had actually experienced if, and if they found the extra items useful or not. I am trying to have a mod list that isn't too impossibly heavy, mainly keeping to large broadstrokes stuff like the Hygiene mod and Rimatomics/Rimfeller.
It and the expansions are really nice. There's honestly nothing really game changing in there, but there's more options for decorative furniture (like being able to set up a bar rather than a table for example) and some minor boosts to comfort from having wardrobes to go with dressers and whatnot. The spacer and security addons are probably the most game changing, and even those tend to be more focused around utility than power. I really like them overall.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

Rimfeller is basically cheating as far as chemfuel is concerned.
Yeah it's absolutely cheating but I still use it a lot anyway. And having thousands of units of chemfuel in big tanks makes things hilarious if something goes spectacularly wrong. :supaburn:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean you got a while month quadrum to do it too, the leather will probably conveniently come to you before then too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sparkling worlds has a similar issue with adding and overpowered enemy faction you can loot, but you can ge th variants without that and they're generally far more balanced since the sparkling worlds guns are mostly sidegrades to charge rifles and they usually won't even have those. They up the difficulty a bit instead by giving the enemy smaller numbers but with some powerful temporary combat drugs that you can't loot or use yourself..

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I gave that a try. It's actually really well coded and handy, a lot more "natural" and immersive than the radar from rimatomics or whatever, but I'm not sure I'll use it again since the art assets are realllllly bad and ill-fitting. :gonk:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Same.

It's why I've not gone with some of the transport vehicle mods.
RT.. R... whatever the acronym is Expanded seems to be the best one there. Despite the name it's totally standalone, the art assets match up fine, and there's several different options to research. Mind you reusable drop pod equivalents are absurdly broken, but they're late game tech and caravan management is kind of obnoxious anyway so I don't mind. You'll definitely need rimefeller or a small army of boomalopes to keep them fueled up anyway.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I understand why it's so horrible, but in practice it means it's super risky to keep harder drugs around.

Mind you, beer and (I think) smokeleaf don't addict people if not overused so it's easy enough to set up a once a day schedule or whatever for some easy mood and recreation boosts at no real risk as long as there's no chemical interest pawns around.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't used it in a while, but last I did the full limbs came with the extremities. The hands/feet are really only if you need those specific parts replaced.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I recommend just jumping in once or twice, yeah. Once you have a little experience you probably know what QOL UI stuff you'd want. And then once you get a long or successful run you can go crazy with robots or cat girls or whatever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the T5 androids are amazing colonists... except for having a trait that makes them literally go mad and murder people for no reason. Unless you aren't attached to your colonists the best use of them is to have them research the top end parts for T4 androids and then exile or execute them. Probably execute since you don't want them on the enemy side.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Can't flip out and kill people if there's no people. :thunk:

Not sure what the break does if there's no valid targets. Worst case it's probably tantrum style and they smash stuff a while, best case nothing happens. Depending on your mod list, anything that changes traits can remove it too but that's obviously an unintended interaction.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that the droids don't need the crafted batteries to recharge as long as you have some placed batteries handy, they'll just suck juice from the grid as need be. The droid batteries are mostly for caravans or emergency blackouts or the like. Androids proper can use the grid too, though they'll prefer to eat food unless it's forbidden to them. If you're stuck on foods that don't give mood bonuses you may as well just forbid it and they'll putter along fine.

And yeah, I think I like Tiers better in concept, but it has a few weak points. Not being able to actually fully replace damaged limbs on T1 bots for example, and they would probably work better if they were set up like the worker/battle droids instead. The high investment of the higher tier androids make rolling lovely traits or skills a painful investment. On the other hand, being able to custom-build Androids androids is hilariously broken, so hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh good news, Preemptive Strike added new art assets at some point that actually match the proper angle of the rest of the art. No reason not to use it now. :toot: