Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Played it, liked it. The framework for a pretty fun game is there, just needs more content. But for an alpha build with temporary art/sounds and barebones stuff to do it's pretty fun.

Those raiders, man. I built a line of sandbags with walls here and there to get behind when injured badly. Lined with 5-7 turrets, too. Had five colonists, 1 M16 and 4 pump shotguns. They held the line for a while but every couple days I got attacked by a large party of raiders with equipment that got better and better. They killed me eventually.

Then I started a game with the peaceful builder random event thing to explore the research options and stuff. Too bad I found out the blasting charges can be used as mines after that first colony fell.

A night well spent, I'd say. Looking forward to see where it will go from here.

I like the combat system in that I can actually give specific orders and they'll be followed, I can have people taking cover and stuff instead of just running into combat wildly like dwarves do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found a spot that was outside but enclosed entirely by rock, I put all my solar collectors in that little spot it was great.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh wow I totally didn't realize this game had mods.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nullkigan posted:

Pretty sure I saw a flag in the weapon definitions that'd let you make turrets that can shoot over walls, which is how mortars work. With a suitable sprite and using the mortar definition as a base you could have something vaguely like a guard tower. Properly manned ones that can be targetted through walls is probably a DLL mod though. The easier way might to be to create 99% cover impassable sandbags to replace your perimeter walls

I was using a mod for a while that let you build walls with gun slits in them so you could shoot out. Like sand bags basically but with better cover.

Not updated anymore though unfortunately.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

some other mods have that now, i think

e: enhanced defense does. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6636.0

ED is modular (make sure to move all its separate folders into the mod folder) but this is just the embrasure module

https://www.sendspace.com/file/kbjjhq

Nice, thanks.

On a side note, my game kept crashing when trying to use the mod and I couldn't figure out why. Had to activate just the ED-Core mod, then the autoloader, then everything else. I knew the other stuff was dependent on ED-Core and ED-autoloader but I didn't think they had to be activated one by one like that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Does embrasures, shields, personal shields, or laser drill require autoloaders? I'm not using the other ED mods and thought I didn't need autoloaders.

no they don't, afaik. embrasures are just a wall type, shields and laser drills don't need anything but electricity to work

quote:

The errors for Project Armory appear when ED-Core is also activated, regardless of which one I activate first.

that's weird idk what to tell you other than my ED is super finicky. try going to PA's thread on the game forums and see if anyone else has the same issue? seems like two popular mods a lot of people would be running concurrently.

quote:

Also, quick question about laser drills, do they centre the new vent in the 4x4 area they cover?

yes

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 20, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is it possible to slowly make a colonist completely bionic through surgery? through a mod maybe?

Fermented Tinal posted:

One of my colonists just took a frag grenade to the face, and was promptly replaced with a bloody smear on the ground.

one of mine got hit dead on by a mortar shell while I was watching him run around and he just got deleted, equipment and all

pretty cool but addition of bloody gibs would be pretty metal

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 21, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

What about for turrets?

Turrets benefit best from tricks to get enemies into optimal crossfire slaughter situations I've found. What I like to do is have a little hallway with turrets protecting it on both sides, and plop a door enemies have to break down to get in.

They break the door down, run in, get ripped apart by turrets that are already pretty much at point blank range.

Good way to circumvent enemies with longer range than your turrets plinking away at them, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know but mortars are kind of like muskets; low accuracy and more effective when a bunch are volleying fire. A couple won't really do anything but get 8+ of those suckers raining shells down on a raider camp and they get pretty good.

The fire doesn't really do all that much on its own though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I played DF for so long that my initial instinct was to dig into the mountain and make a base there; it didn't even occur to me that I could make one outside until I saw screenshots of people doing that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

triad posted:

1) Would my guy have woken up when the soldiers got there and started making noise? If he had woken up and defended himself automatically, would he have had a better chance of fighting and surviving (can the AI fight better than I can control him)?

I don't think they defend themselves at all if you don't draft them, they'll just try to run away and get killed.

quote:

3) How do you get colonists to mine? My miner dude had been mining the mountain I ordered him to, but once he died the other two wouldn't mine. I didn't see any gear on the miner that the other two would have needed, do I need to just re-issue the order to mine an area?

You have to enable the mining labor for the others in the jobs screen. Certain colonists can't do certain things, in which case the checkbox for the respective colonist and job will be greyed out.

quote:

4) Not important: why are the guns so boring? M16's, handguns, lee-enfields? I don't get it, shouldn't there just be a bunch of sci-fi space guns?

There's scifi guns too, it's a mix. Usually you won't see those right off the bat though.

I haven't played in a while so I know nothing about the pods.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the item is an image of a colonist surrounded by boom rats. The colonist is screaming.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just don't use it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played in a couple updates but that mod that lets you build robots has a cleaning robot that I use just for that purpose. Cleans 24/7 except for when it returns to its charging pad to refill the batteries.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that most impressed me about that is that you don't have to micro manage the robots in terms of worrying about them running out of charge (I think they explode if they do or something).

You can manually control them and gently caress it up but left to their own devices they always seem to know when they need to stop what they're doing and get back to a charge pad. They even take large distances into account, it seems like.

Cremation robot is awesome, too, yeah.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will never understand people who love mods that add *REALISM* to the game at the expense of gameplay to the point where you'd have to be a masochist to enjoy it - and I am a masochist!

Like that Kerbal Space Program mod consisting entirely of a RNG breaking your parts at random midflight. Super fun. I get that irl space ships break and it's a bitch but dudes :psyduck:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get people who get super up in arms about balance issues or 'cheating' or whatever in single player games.

If you think it's OP just don't use it problem solved. If it's too hard for you lower the difficulty. There's not even an epeen you can be showing to anyone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fart simpson posted:

Yeah why should game developers spend even one minute on creating a fun single player experience? People will just play only the fun parts, problem solved.

Difference between making your game fun and taking things out because a certain group doesn't think they are fair or good. That's the early Diablo 3 style of patching that really soured me on that game (don't nerf the poo poo that is doing well, buff the poo poo that isn't). If killboxes are 'too good' it's because there's no other toys we can use to make elaborate traps. Add in pressure plates and mechanisms and things like that instead of just nerfing kill boxes.

You don't have to use a kill box. Their existence is not detrimental to a game without killboxes in any way. There'd be an argument if the difficulty was designed around killboxes and you need to use them to survive but it's not and you don't. What's the problem?

Why is your single player experience affected by what other people might be doing in their single player game? It's like when someone mentions using a console and there's always that poster coming out of the woodwork to call them a cheater.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I build inside mountains as much as possible in preparedness for wall destroying enemies. That and I play DF a lot and I default to digging out a mountain colony.

Plek posted:

Getting the AI to recognize a killbox and react in some fashion would probably be best, right now they just sorta pile into wherever you want them to go.

Dwarf Fortress kind of handles this - if a bunch of goblins just see their buddies go into a hallway and get shredded in moments they'll stop charging and hang about. I don't think they'll calculate an alternate path sadly but at least they won't be lemmings.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just make the militia have to man the guns. Then you could research from some WW2 era machine gun rigs with crews of 3-4 to modern laser guns where just one or two could operate them efficiently.

Or introduce an ammo system. Then you could also have ammo manufacturing as an industry and it would associate a maintenance cost to the turret spam.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to fill a cart full of explosives and accelerate it at relativistic speeds towards my enemies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game is one of very few games that makes me want to be an evil as gently caress sociopath cutting people up and poo poo. Like good, I hope me harvesting your dude for organs make you mad; more meatbags to process :moreevil:

Normally I'm not like that at all and I care a lot for digital life.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're scarecrows obviously.

scarepirates

:black101:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had like 4 geothermal power plants tucked deep in the mountain behind my base. Brilliant I thought; I don't have to worry about wind, solar flares, mortars, etc.

I'm not sure if the fire happened because it got too hot or if the fire caused a runaway temperature rise but when I clicked the 'Fire!' button there were flames all over two of the generators, a bunch of the batteries, the temperature in that passageway was 250 degrees and quickly rising, and 3 of 5 colonists were passed out from the heat.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Which mod are you using? I think there's 2 that add embrasures.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that gets me as that as far as I can tell he's getting high and mighty over a loving modpack. Like is he even doing anything other than just making sure they all work together and putting them all in the same download?

Don't worry about it dorkozoid I'll just make my own 'modpack' by downloading things individually.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

Virtually all modders are insufferable and the notion that modders can ask for money is one of the worst developments to make modding communities toxic and whiny.

Times were best when everyone recognised they were standing on the shoulders of giants and there was an expectation that anything you made public could be fairly used by anyone else and the reasonable expectation was that you'd get an acknowledgement for your work.

I feel like (although maybe this is confirmation bias) it also causes all kinds of hosed up behavior in terms of 'promise some crazy huge/complex mod' to get $$$ but then obviously the scope is waaay too huge and the mod never gets finished or comes out a pale shadow of what was promised. Then you get clowncar'd as soon as you try to make a negative statement.

Like Star Citizen, but smaller scale.

I mean poo poo, hire some graphics people on Fiverr, make some cool concept art and mockups and possibly fake screens, promise the moon, throw a Paypal button on there, put that poo poo up on the Fallout 4 Nexus and I bet you'd get more than you put in and you wouldn't even have to make anything. Just let it collect donations and put out some more model work or whatever every week to milk it as long as possible. And then you can just keep the money because hey, it's a Paypal donation not a purchase.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Walton Simons posted:

Hmm, this is a problem for people like me who take ages of IRL time to ever finish a save. Is there a way to 'lock down' your version/mod setup so Steam won't mess with it?

e: Found this on Reddit:

This is a general issue with basically every game that uses Workshop mods and I really wish they'd do something about it :\

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

I installed hospitality yesterday and it's pretty fun. Built a bunkhouse motel and a nice little spot to hang out.

Is it fully compatible with trading spot? Would be nice if I could get the traders to come in from the cold instead of just the random visitors. My base's biome isn't deadly cold or anything, but most of my neighbours are dirt poor tribal bands and their clothing is pretty poo poo in boreal forest. I've gone to the length of setting up specialty storage points in the hotel gift shop for quality tribal clothing and parkas for guests.

Has anyone seen a mod for something like a proper 2 tile width vault door (think fallout 1/2)? It would be really nice to have a really strong entrance way into the base that I could slam shut to keep the non combatants safe when the robot horde comes calling that also allows a high traffic flow during normal conditions. I wonder if that's even possible.

Hospitality is compatible w/ trading spot. At least I've been using them both and have discovered no problems in ~10+ hours of playing or so. Guests are enjoying my rooms, traders are going to the right spot. On that note btw when people say 'gift shop' is that just a zone in a room marked 'for guests' or... ?

And yeah, I have seen a mod for that kind of door but it hasn't been updated for ages... :\ I think it is 3-wide iirc.

Latest version I can find, scroll down to 'Blast Door:'
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12243.0

Although you can just put 2-3 doors next to each other and forbid them all when necessary, that's what I do. Not as neat and easy as 1 big door but it functionally works the same. My base entrance right now is an airlock with 2 sets of 3 autodoors.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 6, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk the Average posted:

if you click to build something that you have the raw materials for, but not the intermediates, it makes all the intermediates for you automatically.

I like this a lot and I do not understand why so many other games insist on making things more tedious for no reason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mzbundifund posted:

Well, it only works since Factorio has completely linear crafting progression. The instant you have crafting recipes that you can make with multiple possible ingredients, then you can't autocraft the intermediaries or else the game will inevitably prefer to use ingredients the players didn't expect or want and players will get mad. You could try to design a UI to get around it, but the more possible sub-ingredients you have to choose the more complicated and/or awkward that UI will get, and eventually it's just as bad as having the players just pick the intermediary recipes themselves anyway.

That's a fair point but at the same time I feel like that's a pretty rare circumstance and the UI can probably do something about it in most cases.

Dwarf Fortress has a lot of UI faults bc toady basically doesn't prioritize it but just as an example it's dumb that I can tell my dwarves to make a "steel table" and it won't happen until I manually also tell them to make "steel bars" despite having plenty of iron/flux/coal. And steel bars requires manually making pig iron too, on top of that.

Though at least there I can tell them to maintain a minimum level of steel bars or pig iron, many games don't even do that.

e: easy solution would be to have the game ask the player what intermediaries/ingredients they want to use if there are several different options, then continue to use that every time they click the recipe unless they want to use something different in which case alt-click (or whatever) brings up the "what ingredients should I use?" prompt

I'm mostly just frustrated with "difficulty = tedious padding busy work" mentality of game design. It's more than just this particular crafting issue and it seems very ubiquitous in indie games. Then I see people insisting that it is better to not let the player automate repetitive tasks because "dumbing the game down" and I shake my head.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I started on a pretty cold map with real short grow seasons so I've basically just been setting up a sun lamp outside then building walls + roof around the area it covers plus a square for a heater, and I basically grow all my food in a couple of those. More electricity intensive than normal farming but less so than a bunch of hydroponic bins and more grow space, too (esp since I don't like to stack my hydro bins all right up against each other although I know pawns can walk over them).

Works for the fallout, too.

Only thing that bugs me is the plants stop growing at night as normal even though they still have full light intensity on them but apparently that's more realistic than not so whatevs. Not like I have a food shortage anyway.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does a pawns skill or condition matter at all with the manned guns by the way? Or does it vary based on the gun or... ?

As in does it matter if the dude firing the mortar has cybernetic eyes and a great shooting skill or can I just plop any strawberry farming rear end in a top hat on there and get similar results?