Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress you I was going to post that!

But windmills are a different structure. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

My prison complex is a big ol tomb full of cryptosleep caskets filled with anaesthetised (but otherwise perfectly healthy) prisoners.

It's a heck of a lot more humane than the other options I've seen in this thread. :colbert:

Besides being my primary source of recruits, pirate raiders actually were what turned got me to turn a solo fortress into a team effort after being attacked by the same teenage pawn multiple times after letting them go after the bruises healed up. I figured that had to be a sign this pawn wanted to get out of a life of space-crime and do something good. :3:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I don't have the heart to sell them. I'm focussing on building the ship, so before my pawns blast off, I'll have one of them open up one of the containers so that the first captive is left to pick up the pieces.

(Alternatively, I could dev-mode-recruit all sixteen captives and actually play out them inheriting enough guns and food to start migrating to the other side of the continent and get to the spaceship there. Hmmm...)

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 27, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I have finally built my first ship in Rimworld and escaped with this group of six colonists I cared so much about, one of whom is pretty much all advanced-cyber'ed up, and the others having picked up some replacement parts between raids.

A few prisoners were strategically left behind to force-recruit and claim at a later date :)

Re: crabs, I had exponential chickens in an earlier stage of the colony. The space efficiency/nutrition value of eggs is incredible (one egg being functionally equivalent to five meat for the purposes of cooking or caravans), but it was not worth having literally 600 or so chickens bring my CPU to its proverbial knees when I decided to sell them off to a passing trader...And they all decided to follow them in a very small amount of space.

Too many chooks.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

bird food bathtub posted:

If there's some actual research bonus from the inactive ship I never found it. Just disassembled them. Active ships are super useful though. Fight off a wave of critters like a poison ship, then it becomes a pre-built geothermal generator.

How are live poison ships helpful with the possible exception of clearing a lot of land in jungle biomes?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

McGiggins posted:

Yeah he's a fun dude alright. Yall remember the sexuality statistics debacle and the ensuing battle with the gaming websites that very clearly and deliberately misreported on it?

Is there a summary upthread?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Tortolia posted:

I feel like solar flares would be more interesting if you could do something about them; maybe some sort of modded roof or enclosures that would shield enclosed devices from flares. Put some sort of material and research cost behind it so you can't immediately negate the event but so you can plan to implement it around the time you start to have mission critical devices that can't be interrupted (like hydroponics).

100% agreed, though I don't know if the game even can recognise roof types other than structures and mountains.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What's the thread-recommended extra crops mod?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Weapon tech looked interesting, but the fact that it turns off vanilla gun turrets was a bit of a dealbreaker. Always read the comments!

EPOE is basically mandatory IMO. Psychology is a good mod that gives you more flexibility with treating pawns with issues (and also frees up trait slots relating to sexuality. Pawns get a Kinsey rating instead). Fluffy's mods are almost universally small gameplay and UX enhancers that play nice with everything. RimFridge is really convenient, and you should browse the most subscribed list.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Speaking of Randychat, are there any modded storytellers/non-Randys that are any good and tuned for a typical game where you'll be living on the same base accumulating wealth (i.e. building more poo poo and generally surviving) instead of being forced offworld while being chased by hundreds of angry pirates?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huh, so there is a way to escape the planet? You don't have to just survive on it forever? I mean, it looks like a super-tough thing to do, but that's cool.

Yeah. After a few in-game weeks, you'll get a quest popup saying "Hey go trek to the other side of this planet where there's an AI with a spaceship!" or, at the end of the tech tree, there's a bunch of spaceship building components to unlock. I have more hours than I'd care to admit in Rimworld, and I have only escaped the planet once.

By the time I got around to it, I'd made a habit of healing and cryopodding my prisoners. I made sure to take one bandit out of the can before lifting off, and I like to think that they made a good new life with all the stuff that got left behind. :3:

From what I hear though, Tynan sees escaping the planet as the one true way to play, yeah.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Coolguye posted:

of note: the idea of a prison spine is a funny one but one i would never even consider bothering with in one of my games. the effort of obtaining and faffing around with a spine like that - let alone running the risks of actually utilizing it - is too much for me to consider it viable.

EPOE is so good it should be merged with the base game. The ability to craft bionics out of metals and components is pretty awesome.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Taerkar posted:

I've been using the 40k mod and they recently added in cogitators. Prisoners I don't want to recruit or release become brains in jars.

What exactly do the brains in jars do? :ohdear:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Raids do get ridiculous after a while, but you can get away with upgraded bows and automatic weapons. Or really good melee users and clever positioning. Or holing up and letting them take from an outside stockpile.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Walton Simons posted:

I said I was going to wait for 1.0 but the upsurge of activity in this thread has me so close to starting a new save.

I honestly cannot think of what would be in a version 1.0 that you can't make yourself by slapping on a pile of mods.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Slime posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to suppress negative traits? Like, medicating a pyromaniac to curb their fiery urges, stuff like that.

Yep! Check out Psychology.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Colonists can't even have a beer a day (assuming their mood is <50%) without needing fresh replacement livers every so often.

Also, the wildlife parties hard. A squirrel self-tamed and got into my legacy outdoor storage which still had a few dozen beers in it, and essentially slipped into a coma forever once its extreme alcohol tolerance caught up with it.

I'm not sure if I should try and keep party-squirrel as a good luck charm in the rec room or let it pass peacefully. :ohdear:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Warmachine posted:

My first reaction was, "Ah another topless monster girl." :geno:

Every time I see this kind of monster girl/weaboo alien stuff, I always think back to the idea of porting Endless Space/Legend races into Rimworld.

Cravers would make a lot more sense as a source of hellwar raids instead of pirates, who you'd think would get the hint after a while!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Bay 12 forum is a terrible cesspit of in-groups and bullshit, and while Toady is doing great at making his game (one of God's own prototypes there), he's a terrible community manager who routinely deletes posts and bans people who offend cliques instead of showing examples of unacceptable behaviour and why it should be stopped.

Really I'm surprised that someone was apparently publicly given the boot on that one instead of silently being unpersoned, as is the norm.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Are there any mods that add repeatable researches/a reason to keep researchers around once you've finished the tech tree? The cult mod shows that repeated research is possible, at least...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'd say stuff should stack, but keep the one-month decay and have each successive repeat be harder and harder the bigger the stack gets.

Same would go for like weapons research so you've got a better chance of making better guns, and so on for every other skill.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What are the species mods you're using?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

quote:

-Frag grenades are no longer a valid hunting weapon

Kinda disappointed by most of the changes, honestly, and there's nothing in there that really adds to the game and couldn't just be modded in.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You should see the pain the Cataclysm goes through every time it comes back to life. :negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I kind of understand the beavers one because then they actually pose a not-necessarily-lethal threat rather than being a regular delivery of meat and skins, but the turret one is pretty lovely and funhating :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Is it too late to get in the pool? :sun:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How do you set your world to have horrifying conditions like permanent fallout, and how does this affect NPC factions?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Eltoasto posted:

Well I didn't eat at a table

I'm sorry for all the suffering you've had to put up with :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Is there a mod that gets rid of backer pawns?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

My warden fell in love with one of her prisoners before their resistance was removed. How the heck does sharing a bed work if one of them is a prisoner?

Without the possibility for consent to exist.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I think it's called "a dog said"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

ShadowHawk posted:

I made a very simple mod that lets pawns grab items off vanilla shelves without stepping on them. This lets you use them next to crafting stations so that you can keep cooking without getting up (just like the old "stools" trick).

Any interest here?

Please upload this :) Would this work with Rimfridges too? (given that they're basically shelves)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How do you make prisoners use the quarry? The prisoner labour mod doesn't seem to support it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Oh! Thank you. I'm glad I was just an idiot then. :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The set up camp mod is also pretty useful for fetching resources and setting up detox clinics off your main base.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It also makes you a really bad person. :colbert:

Psychology mod lets you treat Chemical Fascination (although you might need to reapply the treatment operation if you miss their top-ups) and you can also wall up the drugs. Pawns aren't smart enough to break down walls to get to the 900 units of space cocaine I've got stored.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Questionable Ethics has a machine that can process the ah...Sludge into chemfuel, slowly and at a 75:10 ratio, but I appreciate having a renewable means of fuelling pods, emergency power generators, and the little explosive tanks you can build with the vanilla security expansion.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ummm, boomalopes??

Not available on the cold map I'm playing on at the moment.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Oil and related stuff I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Questionable English aside, this looks incredibly rad and fixes my main gripes - I wanted my low-tier bots to be able to eat electricity and I thought the whole reason the thing was called tiers is because you could upgrade them.

Do you have any ideas on how to get the T5 robot crash to not spawn a dead android when you have the Death Rattle mod installed? All other androids seem to be fine spawning in, like with raids and trading parties and whatnot.