Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Area Revealed"

Secure farmland inside the mountain! This is it. This is the destined map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Where do you get snake people from?

Slither are snake folk with minimal differences, as well as Ikquan(Fish) and Klickmala(Insects) by the same author. There's some little touches like Ikquans are happy to be Soaking Wet(+3) instead of the usual -3 but mostly they are reskinned human colonists and they're a neat and simple way to toss some aliens into the mix.

Naga are a rad, very different race with their own unique jade-focused crafting, tech, pros and cons and big changes overall. Natural poison, prefer the heat and get cold more easily, can't wear pants, anti-social, biased towards eating meat, etc. You need a naga craftsman of sufficient skill to use their work-bench at all.

I also use Lapelli and Android Tiers so I have a handful of non-humans and some robots running around after my first vanilla base without going too heavy on the anime. There are a lot more alien race mods, like some with Faster Than Light races, or different varieties of robots. Note that some races change balance a lot. Androids can make base duties very easy and the cheap ones cost virtually nothing to keep around(though if I can make advanced robotics, haven't I earned and progressed beyond simple duties?) Lapelli are a "bigger and stronger" than humans race with natural claws so they cause near deaths in social fights!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 13, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The absurdity of the empire faction really hits the spot in Rimworld.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You will know suffering, colonist.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Have a pretty standard mountain base going on, all rectangles, so orderly.

Pretty stable and the local spiders aren't as aggressive as they could be(prey animals must be cycling in well) so started the frame work on the first head.

Once I get some heads and neck space going I can leave these rectangles behind and seek blessed irregularity..

Also bought a set of 4 hens and roosters from a trader, nothing ominous about this at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

*snorts the roleplay directly*

ah yeah that's the stuff Papa Nez.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Recruited our first boy from one of the two raider picks I managed. Was going to min-max my recruits a bit more, got a slothful and a lazy/neurotic between those two but useful passions and stats elsewhere. Also more fun and more character to wing it, especially when the base roster is still small. Otherwise another day in spider town. Amazed these packs aren't man hunting the second I step past my walls.

Does give raiders a bit of a free pass though.

Having a chuckle at that river spawn point.

Should probably gun down the pack growing at the front gate.

Doing some rough drafting on the head, playing with the mod painting tool. Mostly to try and set up spacing for the features, going with Dungeons and Dragons designs here. Black Dragon is sunken nose, jutting chin, frills on top of head, curved horns running parallel to mouth. Will probably redo that flooring, adding a tongue to the bottom of the jaw for some separating features but the horn would probably look better curling under the jaw. Can't God Mode paint orders onto blocked in sections of wall, but I think using floors for "shading" will look better overall. And provide more usable space. And make the walls accessible for painting. There's a monument there for a quest, we'll see if I smash it to finish the head before 40 days are up! Worst that'll happen is some insect hives spawn.

Shooting for level 5 royalty on my base boss, at level 4 already, got an idea for how I want to declare war on the fash. Also need to tech up and start making the base more serious.

Just kinda killing 5 adult chickens every so often and hoping a livestock trader stops by soon :v: At least grass is really easy to set up with the new Vanilla Expanded crops/cooking mods.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I may have gone too far in some places. *orders 6 slaughters*

[Junglelisk Self-Tamed]

Ahahahaha. It Beeeeeegiiiiiins.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gotta watch out for the giant rat.

Had a Space Battle event and eight wounded land but the battle ran for hours so I had to recruit survivors of an all day bleed out. Not sending colonists to dodge indiscriminate mortar blasts! Ended up with four I could save. No proper hospital yet and prison guarantees eventual recruits. Was timing out resistances and considering recruits when a prison break occurred!

Don't gently caress with this senatorguard! Tough trait in action! Viktor there lost his entire right arm to that pickaxe. This was after recruiting a new tribal naga from a raid, went on to recruit Viktor and Karl and sold Dudley and Griffith to the empire. Gave me a Countess with Berserk so that has gone swimmingly.

Bottom cluster activates in 4 more days but only seems to have turrets that don't reach the road and production for four lancers. Top cluster is proximity only and has been there for at least a season. Could use a big pirate raid to help sort things out!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Facial Stuff. Also includes hands and feet but I turned them off because it looked way too cartoony.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't want to keep my self-tamed giant spider with the chickens or let it roam in the wild too much, I've seen many of these formidable giant spiders pick a fight with a sufficiently large animal and handily win only to bleed to death. Kept her outside by the north bridge with a kibble shelf.

Outdoor food attracts friends! If I was feeling bolder about taming or wanted to get that giant spider army faster this would be handy. Instead I made a small door divide that my budding matriarch could use and that let the wild herds depart.

Two eggs hatch, three spiders under the hand of man. In the future I will use this, yes I will, oh ho ho, oh yes.

Yes, that is a Tier 1 Android who I created to handle a poop burning backlog. Be glad he can't comprehend his existence beyond PERFORM DUTY.

Mortar raid dropped their supples on the other side of a map dividing mountain. Countess Varvara met and chain Berserk'd them into wiping each other out. Psycasts seem pretty broken. Heat sheds so fast I thought I was bugged and not getting any in the first place. She solo'd 8 hostiles without them being able to afford to pay attention to her. Don't think I'll get psycasts on more than one colonist, maybe give a few level 1-2s to some budding elites. I imagine a really set up colony with 3+ high level casters can't be threatened by anything but mechs. Speaking of:

Moments before disaster. A third quest cluster landed, thankfully out of range of the other two. 8 days to activate, no actual activation set ups. Bullet shield, mortar, 4 turrets. Could I.. could I just melee clown the lot of them? I soon learned that enemy turrets also explode on death pretty frequently.

Correct method learned. Varvara can use Berserk, Pain Block, Vertigo Pulse, Blinding Pulse and Smokepop, which is really good because those first four lose a lot of zip against robutts. Took minor damage when the cloud dropped between recastings. If only it was this easy to demolish the other two clusters. Maybe I'll just mortar them, turrets can't move and four lancers is doable far before my mid game state here.

Got two days off in a row coming up, I really need to get the first dragon head finished. Have been expanding into the mountain with three tile wide tunnels to embrace the space and infestation fighting. Also teching up, but who dares wins a sweet mountain base.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, animals hulk out or man hunt when they are denied food. I like wide open fenced in areas where herbivores generally sort themselves out, otherwise a kibble tray is required.

Fun day today. 16 man pirate raid came in. They were confronted by the Countess.

Varvara has now destroyed 16 raiders by herself with the powers granted to her by Tiamat. Poke around corner, Berserk a guy, his friends throw 5 grenades at him. I noticed the heat sink drain rate is enhanced dramatically by psylinks. Maybe that is the balance? Don't appease the empire, actually have heat. I wonder how things will go after I betray them.

Those forest fires did spread super wide and hit the mech clusters, aggroing two melee bots that would have killed poor Garner if they didn't ignore her after downing her. 3 hours to bleed out.. ! Matthew the Android experienced a glimmer of excitement when drafted to shoot his strange alien superiors to help save her.

Hahaha finally, these raiders landed within turret range of the mech cluster I was almost ready to shell. Give 'em hell, both of ya!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Animals just kinda guess and rush the nearest good food they can reach that they are allowed to by their zoning. Make sure animals have tight zones and check their diets. If your carnivores can eat grass and you have the corpse pile outdoors they might not outpace the natural growth rate of the grass, stuff like that. They could also be rushing and eating small prey they can reach like rats and squirrels. Could always confine them to the corpse dump for a few days and watch their Needs tab.

And almost nothing will touch any corpse that is too far gone. Rotten, Desiccated, Skeletons, burn 'em or wait 'em at that point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Swapped to Randy as storyteller and moved up a difficulty notch as I've grown more stable. Did more framing(majority floors) work on the dragon head. Had a space battle near it, not too much damage. Gotta finalize that stuff and get 1/5 the great work done. A raid of duplicitous androids managed to shoot out Varvara's right eye! Luckily my quest tiers have improved as well and got an offer of four healer serums to gun down 36 manhunting rattlesnakes. Still, the broodsisters captured and ritually dismantled the offending android. Maybe I'll celebrate finishing the black head with testing the cultist mod.

Upping the difficulty seems to have reminded the spiders to attack and kill anything they see, except this beautiful migrating aerofleet herd of course. Began expanding with broad walls, the north road is pretty secure and most traders use it.

oh no the merchants were attacked and dropped all their money and valuable goods, what a tragedy

They dropped some nice armor and now my chief melee fighter is almost literally a dragonborn paladin. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Alternatively you can install simple sidearms and start issuing plasteel knives or uranium maces. It would solve the complaint you have but it does unbalance the game quite a bit since forcing you to choose between a ranged or melee pawn is an obviously deliberate design decision.

I'd say the game works both ways, mid or late game melee threats are so significantly dangerous that just having a good gunner take a combat knife to them will go as badly as if they tried to club them with their charge rifle. I always have a small faction of melee guys in great armor with great melee weapons, brawlers default. The gunners can carry side arms but they're never relied upon.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This is a good use of colonist time.

"45 Hives." Very Loud Hmmm. :thunkgun:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You should check the health tab of anyone who gets injured at least once the battle is resolved, but the more often the better. You never know when somebody will be bleeding out with a 4 hr death timer. Cycling colonists and spreading injuries is better if you have to take damage, as pain stacking until shock is an everpresent danger.

A kill box that doubles as entrance/exit is usually a wide open kill box. The principle is to use walls to force a dead angle turn, like 90 degrees around a corner and into range and line of sight of your turrets and drafted colonists behind cover. When there is nothing to fight everybody enters and exits normally.

A closed kill box usually involves winding tunnels of death traps. Use multiple redundant doors made of thick material like stone and place an access tunnel beside the winding one for your colonists, and most raiders and almost all animals will prioritize the winding tunnel as an "open" path. Fiddle with door forbidding to control your colonist movement during the attack and when things are calm use "hold open" to avoid time wasted opening and closing the door more than once. You can also upgrade to hear y autodoors which open fast enough to use normally but will be sealed for hostiles. The same door ideas let you make back doors and other routes in and out, just make sure you use more than one door or sappers will go for it. If you need temp control, keep every door but one hanging open.

A variation on the trap tunnel is to make it wide open and spam the traps with openings and hope the AI makes enough mistakes. This lets friendlies use the tunnel and at least your colonists will recognize and avoid the traps. I don't think this is foolproof and it will be worse for big trader mobs, friendly animals, etc.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

[40 Mortar Shells Later]

Does this look like the face of mercy, gun wimps?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

God Mode to adjust little perfectionist 1 tile mistakes in building symmetry without having to redo it all or aesthetic issues(i.e. you can't build floors on bridges, so I spend the resource to build the bridge than set terrain) and reloading if I'm testing or make a massive UI mistake. Otherwise have to let things fall as they may or it gets very boring with no stakes, resources have no value, etc.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Base is really stable and I can repel most waves on Randy/Adventure including 100+ bugs, mechs or raider rushes so time to start accelerating head construction. That is 75% of the black hydra head done, then red, white, blue and green. I guess I put it off for awhile because the main game is so engaging and painting huge areas is a big pain in the rear end. Also procrastination, but hey, bit that in the rear end tonight. Hardest thing left to do is find an interpretation of the parallel jaw horn that I like, some purple on the spines and shading for detail.

Also a turret set up that isn't stupid since I realized after I put up the second pair that they need to be in a half-circle to avoid shooting through each other ahhhhh this is why sometimes God Mode is OK.

When you break out of prison as the power-armored warden is passing by the front door so she bites your toe off to assert dominance.

"The attackers will gather and wait before starting their assault, inviting you to justify your mortar shell crafting." 40 of 130 died before they started their attack, then broke upon the twin walls of Boss Varvara using Berserk spam and trying to get through my melee squad around blind corners.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 29, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

What's up with that mass cassowary grave at the bottom there?

26 manhunter ostriches attacked, those are the ones where scaria procced and they auto-rotted. Animal corpses are -beauty without a mood debuff on sight so letting them rot in a low traffic area works well.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 29, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sidearms doesn't actually change that much in that scenario, seeing as seven limb losses could've been 7+ deaths instead. If you had the dedicated line of melee guys you'd lose 1-2 chances to fire chain shotguns before the bugs get there. If you have sidearms, your 5 Shooting/5 Melee pawn isn't going to clown a Megaspider solo because ohh shiiiit steel combat knife instead of rifle butt. Considering the base game + royalty would let you have a single person in there chain casting the Vertigo Pulse aoe to dramatically slow that bug tide I say to each his own, whether you disable infestations entirely or play pure vanilla Randy merciless let the dice fall as they may. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That is a very good point about maim chance and manipulation alterations. I'm of the mindset that if somebody you don't want in melee ends up in melee, the only question left is how bad the damage they take is and I've already made a mistake in engagement. I prefer to have 3+ elite melee who are an unbending front, the rest are gunmen who happen to carry tools for their jobs or light melee weapons so they can carry better guns. There is a lot of tactical consideration still because tactics does far, far better than brute force fighting. I have colonists that can defeat 10+ hostiles solo if I use them smartly, it definitely keeps the game engaging at all times. Even the more basic colonists can hit far above their weight class with a reliable gun at the proper range and good cover.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think the trouble with better infestations is there isn't a notification for the "swarm" event, which is like an extra 120% spawn of the current bugs on the map with hives. I turned them off after I started having the issue of 100+ bugs spawn for a late game base raid, satisfying their swarm condition the instant they exist, so by the time I've actually had a good defense against those guys I notice the hunting bugs are intermittently wandering towards my base and I'm never actually done fighting. Eventually I notice 50+ hives on the edge of my tile!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Royalty makes a single colonist soloing raids with magic canon anyway, my record is 1 Countess vs 41 raiders.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I like big colonies, 20 colonists minimum and so on. Mods help a lot, the default story tellers have a "cap" they want you to reach at which point they stop offering quests that reward colonists and RNG seems to kill a lot more raiders than it used to. There are also non-mod ideas.

Tranquilizer Weapons, non-lethal weapons, etc. The vanilla approach is to use clubs or fists, even make intentionally weak weapons out of wood and stuff. Or make heat traps. Less lethal wounds and organs being shot out is more prisoners.

Hospitality allows you to make extra bedrooms for visitors and encourage people to stop at your colony on their dangerous travels. This gives you more foot traffic to study and kidnap, though that will auto-hostile the faction involved. But when 1-2 perfect new colonists are at stake, relations can be repaired, most easily with generous drop pod donations. You can also learn to befriend and socialize people into joining willingly, taking a less than -80 hit to relations with their original faction.

More Slaves. What it says on the tin. This is also useful if you want to sell prisoners as by default the Vanilla trade lines can be very, very rare. There may be more than one of these mods, I've got a set up where the occasional(every 1-3 years) trading ship can have 8-10 slaves in stock. Not only is it a feel good notion to rescue them from slavery they get a huge mood buff to reflect it.

Vanilla Events Expanded adds a lot of little events that can yield many colonists. Space Battle and Shuttle Crash in particular are a big source of multi-rescues, counter balanced by their base rarity and that Space Battles are incredibly dangerous if you're under them. SB can also be seen as ez cheezy because you'll get 60+ components tearing the debris apart but considering how hard the bad times hit in Rimworld I like having a balanced event with a potential big upside. Dodge the raining death, weigh the risks of saving bleeders, clean up afterwards.

Prepare Carefully is holding you to the honor system and lets you ignore all the starting chargen rules. I like to start with 5-6 colonists myself and think the tribal research penalty is stupid(at least that it persists after you do the base work of discovering electricity, though you can mod that out too.) It's very easy to cheat with this mod, so at least hold yourself to the standards of the start you're using with maybe some extra starting food and simple weapons. Or don't, play as you like.

Having a good prison accelerates prison recruitment, like .3 resistance per convo vs 1.2. If you have a lot of colonists and keep their moods up they can get inspirations and you can passively farm Inspired Recruitments if you have a lot of long term prisoners. Royalty DLC helps accelerate colonist growth a little with a pretty much guaranteed "rebel against the empire, accept this traitor recruit" quest and the possibility of colonists as early empire quest rewards.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A colony can run for as long as you like. If you're really stable you can progress down the research tree to hit a win con and build a space ship. SoS2 mod turns this into an expansion of late game. If you use Phoebe or Cassandra as story tellers the difficulty steadily ramps until you die or break the game over your knee with a perfect killbox(or perfectly viable Royalty psylinks.) Or mods, or just outpacing the losses. A good SoS2 set up will crack the game wide open. You can switch to Randy who will always send truly random events with some variance(raids could be bigger than expected or come far earlier than they "should".)

I've had colonies that got wealth to the point that I had 100-200 man raids in end game modded gear attack. The trick is I lived bitch, so I got to wear all that stuff. Once you understand the combat system even in Vanilla gear you can set up pretty powerful phalanx formations. A fist of armored melee, critical mass ranged behind them, drugs to suppress needs and moods.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Open mod settings from the ESC menu and go to Vanilla Events Expanded, you can end their purple events whenever you want.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Insect jelly is made of any viable food matter, bugs carry raw food and corpses to hives to make jelly.

I found Better Infestations to be buggy(hah) and generally unpleasant, the no-prompts arrival of multiple bugs and hives on map edges or double spawns on regular infestations doesn't add much to the game. I've also not seen the hunting/defense split work. All that and the Queen just make infestations extra punishing if not immediately obliterated on spawn.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Beer is one of the safest fast +10 mood/fill chemical need drugs and it can be used together with others. It causes MAYBE -2% manipulation. It's the kinda thing where any stable colony should consider having 50-100 on hand just for quality of life.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sounda kinda cute and I already assign duties according to passions(usually) but I do have some questions.

1) Will this interrupt a task in the middle of it? i.e. surgery or tending because if so tossing that trait in the same pile as pyromaniac and other disaster traits.

2) Anything to stop me from drafting/undrafting and/or right click assigning?

3) What does the pawn do if they *can't* do the passionate duty? There are large periods of time where even massive crop fields(I'm doing a mass production yato farm colony atm) have no Planting actions to do. Can they pursue Art without an Art bench? Etc. I guess the check would only be active if the duty was available.

It would be cute to have a trait like "Gabby" that only pops up with say Social Passions, where they ignore their duties to go spam a few socializing bubbles at nearby colonists.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Seconding weapons. Once things are going well for you from the start, you want to stay ahead of the danger curve. Strong guns is a big part of that. Turrets help a lot too. Mid game comforts to work towards:

Nice bedrooms. A bed, comfort items, art, nice flooring/carpet, spacious, per colonist/couple.

Nice rec/dining room. Multiple recreation types, really nice place to sit and eat. This and bedrooms are the baseline for daily mood.

Nice research room. You want high tech research bench and room to add beneficial furniture around it(i.e. multi-analyzer.) Sterile tiles work here.

Dedicated odd crafting spots. Do you have an efficient chemfuel refining room for insect meat? Do you have a spot to gather steel slag chunk and burn it into usable steel? How about mass stone production next to art benches? I like to mass produce art if I have a lot of extra colonists and sell everything under a certain grade. Separate chemfuel/flammable storages are also smart.

Prison. A better prison. A large prison with recreation, table to eat, spacious cells, private cells, nice beds with comfort items, etc will make prisoners recruit faster and jail break less. You can also mod in prison labor and such. Or do hospital developments for better organ harvesting.

Hospital. A dedicated space with mid game research for hospital beds and late game research for things that boost immunity gain and surgery success chance. Sterile tile too.

Nice kitchen. Sterile tile reduces sneak food poisoning from dirt caused by entering the room, separate your butchery into a separate room if you haven't already. If you mod in more complicated food prep like Vanilla Expanded you'll need more room and spots for fancier stuff like cheese and stew. You can also set up an emergency deep freeze food stash. It raises colony wealth but if you're worried about megaton bad events(especially modded ones like Global Warming/Ice Age) then you might want that back up, like a massive harvest of corn.

Full hygiene set up. This is mod only, Dubs Bad Hygiene. But once I'm set up I like to research and build the full suite of end game toiletries so my colonists can power shower daily, boosting their average mood. It always feels good to remove my starting latrines and build a full restroom facility. Stuff like pools and hot tubs are good decoration wealth flexes.

Animal space. Raising animals can be as simple as walling in a large outdoor area where grass grows and taming a herd of something. If they aren't strict herbivores then you'll need a kibble minimum set on your butchers table and a place to set it, ideally a shelf. If the animal is allowed to be in an area where they can access the kibble/hay and not your food/drugs they become fairly autonomous. Various benefits to raising livestock or having pets.

Extra farming. If things are going well expand your walls and slam down another grow zone. Make drugs, sell them. If you want to keep colony growth down use transport pods to give them away and make allies fast. Stockpile cotton/herbal medicine and the drug labs can make regular medicine too. Cocoa trees are good once or twice a year fire and forget long term money if you have loads of space and planter time.

Tidy little outdoor spots for mortars and transport pods. I like a little storage shed with shells next to the mortars for fast reloads and to mitigate storage warehouse hazards.

Armory. You can set up a dress code for your guys so they spend all non-raid time in clothes and moving normally, and can swap to armor when a raid or bad event hits. Setting all your weapons in themed shelves is also very pleasing to me.

Redundant power. Separate your powered stuff to multiple redundant grids. Do you want your base to shut down because the 1-2 Geothermals powering everything were in the wrong place at the wrong drop-pod time? A few solar panels/water mills/wind mills are a decent combo with batteries to add a little extra to your base.

Central heating/cooling or do it room by room or apartment block by apartment block with vents.

Decoration. Sowing flowers in pots or outdoor travel paths(and tile those paths for +7% movespeed at least!) raises beauty easily and many flowers will bloom for an entire season or longer. Or just build stuff that looks cool.

Redundant defenses. If you're building in a mountain, have hallways wide enough to stand and fight bugs, or even smaller barricade spots you can fall back to against really bad raids.

Vanity vault. Make raiders have to go as deep into your base as possible to steal stuff. Also a good single spot to set a trade beacon and make sure your silver is available.

Honored burial ground. Could be a big stone mausoleum or just a patch of arid dirt you set up graves at. Your fallen colonists should be remembered and what you want to do with enemies is up to you.

There are simple and useful mods for trading/air drop spots and Royalty I think lets you build a landing pad for shuttles. Make nice entryways.

And the hospitality mod is great, so if things are going well for your colonists then setting up at least a luxury barracks for visitors can be a good time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tragedy is a transhumanist doctor who is the only medical above 7 in the entire base.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

physeter posted:

Oh god please help me.

I sent a single pawn out on a convoy, and now she's trapped with my quest rewards and all my pack animals, going crazy in the wilderness just three hexes from my homebase. I have the means and the pawns to get to her, maybe in time, but whenever I build a convoy to get to her, I can't set a waypoint directly on the hex where she is at. What do I do? I don't have drop pods yet.

Set Up Camp lets you enter any hex you're traveling on. If nothing else it should offer you a brute force option.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Centipedes are the end game mechanoid and Charge is the end game weaponry in Vanilla, they are really dangerous things to take directly. Also roughly I'd say it is just how Rimworld damage calc works: heavily armored can take tons of little hits and end up with a lot of bruising. Long, slow single shots are vicious and will have high armor pen and total damage, overkilling the protection they do hit. Smoke is often safer than Armor vs strong guns.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Entombed Underground -9
Happily Nude +20

An easy win overall. You could also try to be a little dangerously cheesy and use mods that add shoes and gloves. I've noticed my nudist can be happy wearing hat, gloves and shoes which might get you just enough temperature tolerance.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shoot them and thank them for the direct delivery to your meat stores.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How involved is bad hygiene?

It can be pretty involved but there is a fool proof easy start so you can take your time doing extra research, building facilities, getting more power gen, etc.

-land on planet
-get some wood/easy material
-build a well if there isn't a nearby water source where you plan to build, just find a big blob of blue when you have the well selected to set down
-build latrine near water/well
-surround it with walls, it can be super small
-build a door(stall door if its a room in a larger building)
-designate a dumping zone somewhere outside and ideally nearby, only allow fecal sludge to be set there
-fecal sludge lasts forever until
-research chemfuel refining
-can burn 75 at a time for 10 chemfuel as a 0 skill crafting job, if you have a particularly untalented colonist then they'll clear it out eventually

Cost: about 50 wood and a 3x3 space. add more latrines and wells with more colonists. Wash tubs are kind of useless since colonists can clean at wells/water source directly.

There are other methods to deal with fecal sludge and research lets you make septic tanks that hold a lot and clear it automatically, you can set up radiator heating for the base, showers, recreation options, etc. But the simple starting latrine/well will cover hygiene needs indefinitely. I like setting up nice restroom and showering facilities later, a power shower will give +6 mood that degrades to +3 before fading for a few hours and feeds the part of my brain that likes when my simulations are a bit more realistic/have more doodads to fiddle with.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you have a melee suited pawn you can hunt, hold and defend against a lot more melee-minded targets than you'd think. Melee 6+, Tough, Nimble, wearing nice armor, any one will do. If you're going pure expendable use two. As long as they aren't RNG pain shocked immediately some poor bastard can hold even a thrumbo in place for 5+ seconds with the firing squad within 3 tiles. This also gives you the grizzled scarred melee badass pawn for flavor, or the rare times they're so good/lucky at it they never get hit. But if they never get totally obliterated or lose anything the worst that happens is you roll the dice a lot on scars and you have to be careful with herds. Gets pretty bad seeing red envelope elephant/rhino revenge in the early game.

FWIW I never use the hunt command, always draft and manual orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pemmican is useful prior to survival meals because it lasts a year without cooling and it is more compact. You just have to carry a lot of it per person, but overall less than carrying bushels of corn. Almost all other meals will rot within 2-3 days.