Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Or embrace an all cannibal colony and reap the rewards. (Ideology, starting scenario forced traits, character editor, dev moding, etc)

Makes me think we're missing a trait for Super Misanthropist who loves abandoning their humanity.

I avoid cooking with spooky meat because based on things like Metal Horror/The Thing events ingesting potentially contaminated meat seems to be asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think my next colony will be pure evil abyss worshippers and it'd be rad to work in eating the flesh of the monsters to "ascend." Maybe by the time big modders get their first wave of content made for Anomaly!

Kate Lockwell posted:

I almost always have a Cannibalism: Acceptable meme, so big raids are really just free meat

Yeah, it's a bit cheesy but I'm almost always drawn back to a set-up that lets me turn people into resources. Skullspikes and Cannibalism can be gotten under Supremacy alone.

I have done a pure good run or two to help balance my typical Rimworld evil. That also might be fun to go back to, druidic purifiers doing everything to repel the abyss. :thunk:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I am admiring your storage. That's some quality sorting and modding. I do the one material per bin setup too. :haw:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a good way to set perishable vs non perishable storage zones? I'm still doing it manually each time, which isn't *that* big of a deal but it's annoying how the perishables are scattered all over the categories.

I haven't found a penalty to making all food storage zones freezers that don't allow rotten items unless you put fertilized eggs in(vanilla, cookable but kills any chance of them hatching) or you put in rare items that emit heat(modded, cinderwasp bodies/eggs from Alpha Biomes is the only one I've encountered.)

This makes a storage area where you clear all, toggle rotten off, toggle the entire food category on, toggle fertilized eggs off and done. I believe this will avoid anything that could be spoiled by temp in beer production. You can add Herbal Medicine to it too if you don't want to think about the two year shelf time. This will make them store other long life food like rice and berries but my fridges are next to my cooking station anyway so good travel time gain. For deep immersion you'd add a dry goods storage next to both and at that point you care enough to manual, eh? There's also a few long shelf life drugs like ambrosia you could freeze with manual checks in the drug category.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My keg rooms are always separate and beer should be chilled on principle once it's done and bottled. :colbert:

(There's also a mod that gives a benefit to doing so but for the life of me I can't find it.)

Heeeyyy, Hospitality and RT Fuse are back! Now if Rim of Madness: Bones would update I'd be missing next to nothing for the jump to 1.5

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ideology is fantastic for turning your tics into colony-wide mood boosters or encouraging you to play a certain way, though it can also be seen as dangerously cheesy to give yourself a bunch of free mood positives for doing what you always do or removing any maluses for traditional cheese like pure mountain bases. Of course it's up to you how you feel about that, single player make your own story and all. You can always make it harder too.

Playing outside your comfort zone is great. Want to raid and sack other colonies? Not allowed to harm trees or animals but get super ranching and tree powers? Play some very specific weirdos and ritualistically blind and scar yourselves while sacrificing people? Ideology pairs amazingly well with Biotech for alien faction culture building and Anomaly for the dark side of rituals as now your weirdos can be very powerful black magic cultists.

Ideology is honestly a bit anemic out of the box on tenet options but has great mod support for dozens of new tenets.

Although Royalty is the least of the expacs I think it's good and good at what it does(a pro and anti empire set-up is a good base for two playthroughs), Vanilla Expanded mods added Deserter support/faction work and Psycasting is a great system... with mods! It's kind of basic and easy god mode powers once you're familiar with it and you really have to immerse into a specific idea with some restraint to avoid that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think a pure low tech run would expect you to pick up at least one mod for stronger bows and to recruit and build your base to support a high number of colonists so you can survive losses better and carpet bomb more things with arrows. Bows scale surprisingly well until you need to deal with large mech attacks.

Having a high number of tribal background colonists also makes for the easiest mass psycaster strategies with the anima tree.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd guess that you want one tile of space around the entire geothermal as a gut feeling for dealing with Rimworld things.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You can adjust storyteller settings at any time so customize them and lowball yourself until you feel seasoned.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hop in as quickly as possible and gently caress up and be surprised often. Then introduce mods to correct things that bothered you or add things you're interested in.

I say this as somebody who often does the multi-hour mod review and full ideology/xenotype customization song and dance only to own goal myself and lose interest two hours in.

I've gotten better about such optimization phantasms and my dusk bird run is going nicely.

Broken Cog posted:

So I accepted the Deserter before the Chased Royal quest popped, what happens if I accept this?

If the fleeing noble isn't hostile then there are bad odds that the empire ceremony crew will be so you can't get the title. Just an educated guess on my end tho.

However if you're already saying gently caress the empire then they're delivering loot to you by shuttle and ceremony crews carry psylinks. :black101:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 25, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

GetDunked posted:

What's a good way of keeping my animals fed? I keep a big plot of haygrass in the pen along with some shelves of extra but they invariably start starving during winter...

Even more extra.

Use anything to make kibble, animals won't get mad about eating humanoid or insect meat(and maybe not monster meat from Anomaly) though colonists will get mad by default about chopping up humanoid corpses.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I dunno about efficiency but when you can't grow crops you can shoot animals, people, giant flesh eating insects and monsters if ur quick. I always bulk freeze insect meat as back up, it turns into chemfuel and even sells to some caravans despite every member of it undoubtedly getting mad if they ate it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If your colonist bar is so big it's thinking of hitting the 2nd bar then that's a reasonable amount of chaff, yeah.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I build my hydroponics so that they have walking space between them and every square can be accessed by standing next to it instead of walking across them like a madman.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

What are some good animals to train my 7-year old in melee on?

Squirrels, mice, etc should die in a single swing and if they don't only deliver small bleeding bites in response.

There's also meleeing downed enemies so they can be in the relatively safe raider clean up crew or help hunters who don't execute the beasts cleanly...

I recall modded activites for recreation that'll train up melee though they seemed painfully slow for that actual purpose.

Lastly the school of hard knocks approach to use them as an active fighter, though good luck without modding in kid armor. Thing is you don't need to be good at melee to body block and force others into it!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I kind of want to write a use guide for slavery since I keep seeing it mentioned as not useful but also even if you immerse as full chaotic evil raider group it feels kinda bad to write about how cool dehumanizing people is. :shobon:

I do like the work release program I started using in my anomaly colony. You attacked us as raiders, clear a ton of stone blocks and we'll let you out in a year. I guess it's like most systems in the game: it's as useful as you prepare and invest mental bandwidth into getting the most value out of and pretty unimpressive if you splash it in on a whim.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Rimworld is virtually untouched in its genre unless you stretch to include games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld is a lot easier to get into. I see the occasional Rimworld-alike but I imagine the difference in market share is like a fly vs an elephant.

It's like how World of Warcraft is nearly 20 years old with only the barest hint that it's approaching an end point within the next 4-6 years. Or how Factorio has simply set its foot down and refused to ever go on sale because if you want Factorio you can't quite get it anywhere else. Maybe Tynan is just building up a tidy retirement and content to make one of the defining sim games of a generation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

They sound good for advanced combatants you trust to get in, flank briefly, and get out i.e. jumppacks/psycast skipping. Collision is forgivable when they're marching through open space. Lighting stuff on fire is a good option for anomalies.

I had a run with one of the advanced gun manufacturing company mods and gave a trio of fast xenos the crystal-needle smgs they specialize in once I was crafting past mid game. Hit and run is pretty fun after a steady diet of killbox or firing squad in one direction.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm wondering if there are any good mods or starting scenario setups for popping into the game a little further than usual. We've all enjoyed the life or death struggle of piecing together a base and sowing rice to outrun the reaper but I decided to try a new game with a set of dev mode built basic structures and it turned out immensely satisfying. Kept things kind of deliberately lovely and unoptimal and didn't make structures for everything, left myself room to start improving and making a good midgame base.

I wanted to make an established sect of powerful elites serving a bloodfeeder before joining up with the empire and subjugating my neighbors. I usually end up spending hours getting to this point with a really nice base that can survive multiple attacks. This turns out to be such a thorough bit of Rimworlding I usually move on once I'm stable!

I want to procgen a more established faction and get to mid game antics, basically. Like being a baby SCP foundation with some starter cells and a little gunner squad. I know there are starter scenarios that'll give you the squad, at least? Especially from new races/storyteller mods. A game gen toggle that gave you a lovely pre-made base would be useful. There's a blueprints mod, maybe I can automate the dev mode building.

Hah, you could also probably dev mode caravan teleport to a faction and have a starting fight to clear them out, though you need a mod for NPC bases to not be criminally janky. :thunk:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Finally settled on a game setup that grips me. Adjusted the Mechanitor start to add two ghouls, a tunneler and dev mode a medium charger for him. I don't use the big boy to fight, only to excavate the map passively. Adds some constraint to early power and using multiple wood generators as steady or back up power.

Has been pretty fun to do the solo mad scientist and the evil lair with humble beginnings. There's a lot to pursue in research for high tech, dark rituals and meching up. Makes each recruit very meaningful too.

It is a little cheesy but the tedium of mass mining with a single colonist seemed a good point of compromise, the scientist has high passion for research and... animals. The rest of the skills are hard earned from a starting point of 0-3. And a mere baseliner too! Genetic enhancements will have to be earned and mad science'd in or recruited for!

Managing the ghoul hunger is amusing as well as their limits in combat, they're strong but drop dead instantly if you engage poorly. Gets tense when food is low and the only animals on the map are large packs that can aggro together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Things going nicely for the mad scientist startup. Since robots/anomalies are the focus I've been going light on the recruitment. Every new colonist has to have some real sentimental value. The very first pathetic raider I got as the tutorial raid qualified. Genie with I think vanilla expanded traits, so a delicate wimp that can't fight worth a drat but invaluable support for crafting, research and... he's a great chef. So the tall lanky dweeb became the first and lead minion. He's a decent shot, he'll just have to never get hit so I gave him a long range rifle.

The game thinks I've been avoiding a chance to take more prisoners so they had a random wanderer barge in. He's... a tough as nails baseliner. Some modded traits but iron stomach and smaller body and melee 12 with burning passion?

My mad scientist is a lady too... a lot of coincidences here. I think the best colonies are the ones where a theme naturally emerges. :allears:

... I'm gonna have to make a dress code later.