Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i finally picked this up after years of hemming and hawing. i started with the default crashed ship setting and on the 3rd difficulty and chose a temperate forest, and have kind of just waltzed through things. i have more colonists than i can even keep busy at this point and am wanting for nothing. my only mistake has been building my base into a mountain, it seemed like a good idea but the infestations are A Problem. i want to finish this first colony and then start a new one on tribal with a higher difficulty and choose a tougher biome, maybe cold bog or something i dunno.

anyway good game would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How the hell have you survived so long and ran out of things to do and being so new?

I've got like 5k hours in this and I never have enough prawns for all the work needed to be done.

dunno man. i have tons of farmland, have 4 stoves set up with a forever make food bill, so food is never an issue. since 95% of my colony is built into a mountain, construction materials are never even something i need to consider, i have like 3500 marble bricks just sitting in storage. everyone has flak armor and either smgs or sniper rifles. my colony could stand to be better defended i guess, and now that i have automatic turrets that's next on my agenda. more than anything i did neglect research for a long time but i am rapidly making progress there too. i even took out the ancient temple and one of the dudes in a sleep pod is part of my colony (the rest burned to death, rip). i also have some body parts i need to replace and am researching the required tech to do exactly that, especially after my best miner lost an arm to a centipede shot.

i chose the difficulty option that was described as 'for experienced strategy players that are new to rimworld' and it's been a breeze. infestations are the only thing that really feel threatening and i dunno that i will build a mountain base again, much as i like the convenience of them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OwlFancier posted:

If you're starting with normal tech and in a temperate area then yeah it's not that hard of a game necessarily, if you have access to good farmland and a long growing window it's quite easy to make a lot of food.

You can adjust the difficulty in the middle of the game if you want to, what storyteller are you using?

i could do that but tbh i'd rather finish up this playthrough and then start a new one on a higher difficulty on tribal in a harsher biome. i chose cassandra and landed in a hilly temperate forest for my first attempt, i wanted to play it a bit safe to learn what i was even doing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Eiba posted:

If you build a base in the mountains you do really only need to figure out how to deal with infestations and the game is mostly solved. If you want more of a challenge you could simply try building a base in the open so you're forced to engage with all the other kinds of threats in a more immediate way.

yeah. i am fairly certain infestations are there to try and make mountain bases at least somewhat tougher because without those, they'd be functionally impregnable. and even with them, my strategy of 'throw a molotov and run like hell' works great so far, i just need to remake some furniture after that and that's all.

i should also clarify that i am not like, disappointed things are going so well or anything. i like seeing my nice, dwarf fortress-esque base and how defensible it is, and it feels good positioning my snipers at the far ends of the killing tunnels i made that enemies usually funnel into and just mowing them down. i'm just surprised it has worked so well.