Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
:staredog: and I just keep a freezer of corpses to feed to pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Tias posted:

getting back into this.

Quick questions:

- my guest died of starvation and malnutrition, inspite of my jacking nursing jobs to the top. Is there no way to override folks doing what they think is more important to feed a starving person?

- I see a hunting camp nearby for a faction that is not on the faction list. What gives?

The event notification says they're a "minor faction", mostly it means you can mess with them without pissing off anyone that matters.

quote:

- I can perform a public execution, but my colonists find the act abhorrant (also I don't want to kill prisoners when I can convert them). Can I change my rituals at some point?

If you chose to play a fluid ideoligion you can change your rituals after you've accumulated enough development points (performing successful rituals and converting people give you points). If not, you could try to convert your colonists to another ideoligion (recruit someone with a different ideoligion and have them convert others), or open up the debug menu and edit your ideoligion directly.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I'm annoyed that workbenches will let me set a zone to drop off the end products, but not shelves.

I have a one-tile stockpile zone for raw food next to my kitchen (pineapples from vanilla plants expanded, so one stack makes loads of meals), and a shelf for them to put it down and keep cooking.
The shelf has a lower priority than the shelves in the freezer so someone'll haul it over.
I would *like* my cook to put it down somewhere that can store more than one stack.

Are there any mods or have I missed a handy button?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

How do I cure brain damage? I've got a raider who's been sitting around without being released for a whole year, and only just realised the reason why nobody's releasing him is because he took a charge minigun to the brain and is permanently comatose.

I know luciferium can cure scars, but I don't have any lying around or want to buy a bunch just so I can send this guy back to the waster pirates.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

can you load him into a drop pod

Yeah, that should work.

Does launching them at a friendly faction count as slavery or do I need to send them back to the waster pirates?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Though you should be able to set up auto-slaughter rules without mods. You can specify a limit of how many adult/child male/female animals of each species you want and the rest get slaughtered.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

I'd like a full medieval magic overhaul modlist - with all the basic upgrades like replace stuff and all of that. Something easy I can just click and grab all at once if possible.

Does anyone have that for me? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm tired of robots.

if you're okay with reflavoured Vanilla Psycasts Expanded magic, rather than A Rimworld of Magic, you might be interested in Samuel Streamer's modpack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2908695387

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Taeke posted:

Is there a good mod that disconnects wealth from the strength of the raids? I don't like that mechanic and would much rather have it ramp up with time or whatever. It really sucks to come back from a quest with a bunch of jade or whatever and suddenly my 3 pawns with bows and maybe a lovely gun are up against 10 raiders with shotguns and poo poo.

I believe time-based raids is an option available in the base game if you go into custom storyteller settings.

Admittedly, I think Combat Readiness Check would probably solve your problem better, because if you get hit hard enough with timer-based raids you'll never be able to recover, but CRC will send you easier raids until you recover.

Relatedly, is there a storyteller/mod that'll base raid strength on how many raids you've beaten vs. raids that have hosed you up?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I have. I got used to touchpads and gamepad, but the limited UI space is a major inconvenience.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

well that's a bad bug

I sometimes get an error on load that says "backup alcohol dependency tracker yadda yadda" and I normally just save/load and it appears to fix it since it loads without error, but apparently not. I guess what's different with this is I didn't check the "use to manage addictions" flag in the drug use policy, usually I remember to do that but I forgot this time so they just weren't allowed to drink.

e: it's weird that the vanilla UI didn't show it in the health conditions but the UI mod did :shrug:

mental note, check this

Could it have been that your colony ran out of food and the beer was the only thing left with any nutritional value?

I had some catastrophic mana potion overdoses when I played a rimworld of magic game and suddenly had too many mouths to feed

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Edit: never mind, wrong thread.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I started an ice sheet game because I heard the lack of wild animals or plants is good for FPS and I wanted to play around with a bunch of mods with pipe networks.

I'm not playing it for the difficulty, so I had an overpowered psycaster with Vanilla Psycaster Expanded, and not even that can conjure food out of fresh air - even if you can instantly grow plants to maturity, that doesn't help if it's too cold to sow the drat things.

I've got a couple of greenhouses now, but it's not been a zero-cannibalism run, people with paralytic abasia kept falling from the sky so I had a lot of mouths to feed and some of them ate raw raider.

Edit: also, vanilla chemfuel expanded with vanilla settlers expanded meant I was trying to combat freezing temperatures with a huge boiler without a thermostat - my poor paralysed colonists caught heatstroke until I opened a vent, then they had subzero temperatures to cool down in.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 12, 2023

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I had some refugees join for a while, and then a child refugee's dad turned up as part of a trading caravan.

How much of a deadbeat do you have to be to let your kid sleep in a badly-heated barrack with some strangers rather than take your kid home?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I got the nutrient paste pipes, a mod that makes babies able to eat nutrient paste, and a mod that lets need bars overfill.

The side-effect of all these things together is that the nutrient paste dripper feeds the baby a full-sized meal, then it barfs all over my floor because it's horrendously overfed.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I once did a tribal village on a Pyroclastic Conflagration biome (basically lots of mamga and insanely high temperatures), we enclosed the anima tree in a room with an open roof just over the tree + grass area, and we used a lot of passive coolers to make it cool enough for anima grass to grow (I did not know at the time that anima grass had this restriction)

drat! I didn't know you could do that! I could have actual trees instead of fibercorn on my ice sheet with a heated, partially-unroofed room!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Try to sterilise me and I'll sure as hell give you hoof wounds!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

If I recall correctly, you can drop pod to any point on the map once it's loaded, so a boomalope (that they kill) plus a bunch of chemfuel makes for a nice fire in the middle of their base.

I've never had cause to try it though, because when I was going around destroying bases, they were all from VFE Mechanoids, so immune to fire.

Edit: In retrospect I should have dropped a boomalope and a bunch of high-explosive shells, so that the boomalope's death ignites the shells.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 4, 2023

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Welp, I started in a temperate zone and didn't bother hunting for a year and a half. Now my base has hundreds of wild guinea pigs trotting about the place.

I don't think my hunters are even making a dent in the numbers, given every time I open the wild animals tab there's another screenful of juveniles to mark for death.

These fuckers had better starve over winter :argh:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Killing guinea pigs should trigger capybara raids

It is done. I now have 1860 guinea pig fur, nutrient paste tanks full to the brim, and a pack of rabid wolves bit one of my colonists' eye out.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Does the archonexus quest turn the old settlement into a friendly settlement? If so, that might be up your alley for sending the next generation off on their own adventure.

Also, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2782318255 might be useful - only one specified settlement gets transferred ownership, so you can send the kids off with a caravan of all they'll ever need instead of just what they can carry.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Welp, my current Rimworld game is currently crashing more frequently than it autosaves.

I can use Character Editor to keep my favourite characters, but manually adding each technology as a scenario rule would be a chore.
Is there a way to save all the technologies I've researched and New Game Plus it?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Yayo's EndGame is "defend <mod building> across 3 different biomes" if you want something slightly different from the archonexus.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Speaking of Wealth, I foolishly decided to mine out all the useful deposits on the combat map that was generated when I attacked a VFE Mechanoids troopship, and now I have 20'000 more Steel than I know what to do with.

What should I do with this? build lots of walls and pave over my home map so that it stops attracting guinea pigs?

Edit: Also, what's the logic behind using Randy instead of Classic? I would like more quests or raids to spice things up a bit.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 21, 2023

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Cassandra wants you to leave the planet, Randy wants to give you 473 fertilized goose eggs

I fear getting rid of 500 eggs before that hatch more than I do centipedes.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Presidential Alert: THE GIRLS ARE FIGHTINGGGG

The 5yo home-grown colonist picked a fight with the 9yo kid we adopted from a slaver. So far the 5yo is losing, apparently 12 melee skill doesn't compensate for being almost half her size.

Edit: The 9yo got punched in the leg once, and the 5yo lost a toe.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 29, 2023

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there any mod to get animals to use a nutrient paste dispenser?

Vanilla Nutrient Paste Expanded adds a "Nutrient paste feeder" building which functions like a shelf that automatically places one meal on it from the nutrient paste pipe network.
When I had the Long Night event and grass stopped growing, I put one of those in my animal pen so that my animals wouldn't starve.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

Are there any good alternatives to Research Pal and it's forks? That one works well for seeing an overview, but the inability to drill down and click on the individual items to see what they do suck when you're playing with a huge modded tech tree with unfamiliar stuff. I can switch between that and Dubs' Mint Menus override research tab, but that one has its own limitations and switching back and forth sucks.

I've found it quite convenient to ctrl-click the research tab to open up the Dub's menu, and use the standard tech tree with a normal click.

I found it less convenient that it couldn't detect that the mechtech technologies were locked, and my research came to a halt when it tried to start researching something forbidden.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

jokes posted:

But what if someone attacks them and they're all alone :ohdear:

Blast some warriors over in drop pods!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

This does rule but I confess I was hoping for some Fred Flintstone action

Mod FAQ posted:

Q: Where Flintstone Car?
A: In every mod, there is just this SUPER OBVIOUS joke that everyone repeats until it loses all meaning. In the mushrooms mod, it was references to Deep Rock Galactic. In Highmates, it was constant furry references. Here, it is Flintstones Car.

You, me, and everybody else

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I don't remember a way to grow a colonist from vat alone - I think a colonist has to give birth to them, *then* you can put them in a growth vat.

In the vat they get skill training, which is better than a neglected child, but not by much.

The real power comes from a well-raised colonist, since you also get some control over what traits they have.

Biotech also let's you pick what genes your colonists have, but implanted genes aren't heritable without mods. Minmaxing with skill bonus genes for the role your colonists has and penalties for the skills they won't use is very powerful, but actually collecting those Genes is a challenge in itself.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I've also found that if I turn on debug mode I quickly find out if something's wrong, because the endless console spam makes it impossible to play the game.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

That'll set which mods are loaded, but not set all your mod options.
You might want to grab your config files, that vary depending on what OS your other rimworld install is.
On Linux it's $HOME/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/
And I think on windows it's %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config\

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I think the work camps for you to raid come from the Ideology DLC. Likewise Ideology includes a lot of options to support and reward the raider lifestyle.
Before ideology, Vanilla Expanded Vikings had a bunch of quests to travel out and do, and also a storyteller that punished you for going too long without going on a raid.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

mr samuel streamer puts the story generation in rimworld.

The story is often "man drives himself insane modding it until 1x speed is the fastest it'll go and then committing to making a video every day"

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

There's also xenobionic patcher that'll let you implant human bionics in animals and vice versa

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I like the pineapples, they take up less space in stockpiles and they count as fruit so with vanilla cooking expanded you can make desserts out of them :3:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Vanilla Recycling Expanded's been released (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3155781848) and it's giving me thoughts about finally starting a new game.

I wonder if it's possible to start with a planet that's a blighted wasteland with a plan to clean up and repopulate it.

The only way I found to affect world map pollution is Yayo's Pollution (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2891389292), but pollution spread and cleanup there is based on faction bases rather than any of the ways you control pollution on your settlement map.

I've used Vanilla Outposts Expanded (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2688941031) for doing something useful with spare colonists, but
a) they don't work well with colonists that have chemical dependency
b) they're annoying to defend
c) they give a *lot* of resources

I was wondering if there are any mods for sending your colonists away to join another faction (where they might return to visit with a friendly faction caravan) without selling them into slavery.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

:shobon: I like the total war mechanic for a specific play style but feel like the rest is bloat since biotech added mechanoids

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

There's a mod that adds wheelchairs as equipment https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2599914280&searchtext=wheelchair

I think that gives you a minimum Moving based on their Manipulation ability (so might be better than hobbling if their arms aren't also torn to shreds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I'm playing my bet on Wizards DLC