Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love this game, and it's not even close to being finished yet. I could never get into Dwarf Fortress because I like graphics and a UI that doesn't require the use of punch cards, but this game is (hopefully) on its way to filling that insane niche for me. I've been having a blast, even though it still lacks much content. A couple of things:

-Without mods, recruiting seems to be hard capped at 10 colonists. You can't deal with slavers, you can't capture prisoners, and you don't get any wanderer events if you have 10 colonists. I currently have a colony with 9 colonists and 3 prisoners, and I'll see if I can recruit them all or not. I've heard people mention getting more before, but I think they were discussing earlier builds.

E: Apparently, you can get up to 50 colonists playing with the Random Randy AI, but otherwise I believe the above holds true.

-DON'T BUILD TURRETS- I believe that raider attacks scale with your fixed defenses, specifically turrets. I haven't noticed explosive charges having the same effect, and they're WAY more effective at dealing damage. Two mines (as I think of them) deployed in close proximity can wipe out everyone in the blast radius, which can be an entire small raid or a significant chunk of a large raid. Given how flimsy turrets are, and their potential to backfire on you (explode and murk your guys), I greatly prefer mines. (Also, mines cost 35 metal, as opposed to 160 for turrets.)

-Early on, it can be best to attack the raiders rather than let them come to you. Sometimes I just send out a single/few colonists with long range weapons to harass them, but you can also lay up somewhere and ambush them if your base isn't well designed for defense yet.

-Fear is better than happiness. Research Improved Fear Techniques (or whatever) and fill a bunch of gibbets with bodies in a highly trafficked area.

-Research benches don't require power, and can be built outside with no issues. The tech tree can be torn through in a few days, but I usually get the techs for mines, hydroponics, and fear first.

-Hydroponic farming is much more efficient than outdoor farming, but it has the downside of going "offline" during solar flares due to the lights shutting down. If you've built a little store of cooked food (which is easy to do with hydroponics) this isn't a problem.

In terms of constructing defenses, I think I can best explain with a screenshot. If you look closely, you can see my mines in the kill zone, and leading up to the entrance. Putting rock debris along your walls and leaving an opening draws raiders exactly where you want them, like moths to a flame. (The debris might not be necessary due to the hole, but I'm not sure.) The sandbag/wall defenses I've set up are probably not optimal, both in construction and distance to the entrance.

(Note, this game started severely lagging my computer, due to my accumulated riches. It is not even close to optimized yet. For reference, I have a brand new mid-range gaming computer.)

E: I guess I read about it elsewhere, but there's also a strategy called "the waffle" which involves placing a big block of sandbags at your choke-point to slow the enemies. I tried it, but felt like it provided them with too much cover, so I've just been haphazardly tossing some debris there instead.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

One small thing, complete the wall just near the sandbags so that it roofs over that area, then don't put any lights in. Being in the darkness will give your colonists like -20% to being shot.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

All those batteries. How big are the explosions when you get a short circuit?

I usually arrange my hydroponics into 8x8 rooms. You can fit nine tables in there, all covered by one lamp (except for one corner, which isn't bright enough to grow). This way you can avoid having too many sun lamps, each of which needs 600w of power.

Yeah, that may have been a bit of overkill. That was my first successful base, so it was sort of helter skelter in many respects. I don't think the explosions scale much, if at all. I'm pretty sure I recall a 30 KJ explosion similar/equal in size to an 80 KJ one, but I never had any major issues with explosions other than the fact that they're just one more thing loving with my power supply.

That sounds like a good hydroponic system! My current game has a similar, but probably still not quite as efficient, set-up. I definitely overused sun lamps in that initial game, I didn't realize at the time quite how much power they draw. (Equivalent to 4 standing lamps.) The hydroponic system was sort of cobbled together, the L closest to the courtyard used to be the a series of too-small bedrooms that got converted after I realized I could just terrify my colonists into submission and they wouldn't complain about all bunking together. A lot of the areas were built up because I was simply swimming in resources.

Another mistake that I made was putting a lot of things (batteries, hydroponics, solar panels) in large blocks that were flush to walls that I couldn't access from the other side, thereby blocking access for repairs.

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Tynan said he's looking to do monthly content updates.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Found the post:

"I think something close to monthly is an optimal schedule. But this doesn't mean I'm promising a release on the same day every month. I'll try to do it but I don't want people to jump down my throat if one version happens to take a bit longer or I get sick or something."

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1952.0

I fully expect something similar to what you described (re: walls) to be implemented, but it's a good idea, regardless. And oh god, the explosions and the solar flares and the eclipses and arrrrgh, those are by far my least favorite aspect of the game. It's still super early days yet, though, so I'm hopeful those things will be toned down/become exclusively early game issues.

Oh, word? Good to know about the standing lamps. I imagine that'll be something that gets fixed earlier rather than later, but who knows really. It's useful in the meantime. One of the reasons I spammed sun lamps was because I didn't feel like loving around with a million little lamps in my way everywhere, but now I see the error of my ways. 4-1 ratio AND they work for hydroponics? Count me in.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alpha 2 is out now! Cannibalism is now in the game :unsmigghh:

Here's a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhw3j_pYWnI

And the changelog:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I auto-favorite threads I've posted in.

From the changelog, regarding stoneworking:

"Added stone economy: stonecutter’s table, crafting worktype, stone cutting workgiver, stone blocks thing, stone tiles floor, low stone wall, high stone wall."

"Finished up stone economy with stone walls."

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
flares are the biggest bullshit, and i hope they get removed

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I could get on board with that

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dude thought they trivialized defense, so he removed them from the base game

He left them in as a mod, tho, so just enable the mod

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
really really good mods that are actively being integrated into core

just checking back in to say this game owns & gets monthlyish updates that only add more greatness

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I bought this and started playing. I love the artstyle.

I need more options.

register on the forums and go hog wild with mods

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
give it a few days, probably a week tops and all the mods will be updated

i haven't played alpha 6 yet, but i'll make a modpack once i do if Abongination or someone else doesn't beat me to it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Katsuma posted:

I've been reading this thread off and on ever since I saw Scott Manley's quick look at the game, and all of your wonderful stories, in addition to being delightfully entertaining to read, have finally convinced me to give in and buy the game myself. Thanks, goons!

It's a fantastic game, though I haven't played much of Alpha 6 yet as I've lately been on a nostalgia trip binging on Emperor of the Fading Suns. I hope you enjoy it! It quickly became one of my favorite games, and it's not even done yet.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danith posted:

Is it possible to have a cannibal based society, or does everyone just freak out from the dead bodies?

This mod has tech for soylent green.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5450.0

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nm

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sure.

http://www.filedropper.com/zombieapocalypse07

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reintroducing fear could be really cool now. Also: meal-times.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's ridiculously good. You will not regret this!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i just wish i could tell my guys to automatically haul stuff back to a stockpile when they go to lunch or are on their way home for the day

but this game is still loving great

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kris xK posted:

I dont think I'd be the only one here that would buy the poo poo outta that DLC.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5593.0

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I was using a mod for a while that let you build walls with gun slits in them so you could shoot out. Like sand bags basically but with better cover.

Not updated anymore though unfortunately.

some other mods have that now, i think

e: enhanced defense does. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6636.0

ED is modular (make sure to move all its separate folders into the mod folder) but this is just the embrasure module

https://www.sendspace.com/file/kbjjhq

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 11, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

winterwerefox posted:

Can you make tribal wear,jackets, dusters, or button down shirts? Ive made plenty of hats and pants and t-shirts, but havent been able to make the other gear.

I don't think that's in the core game atm.

But Apparello, a clothing mod that has a bunch of cool variety, allows crafting of (i think) all core clothing + all its added stuff.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5085.0

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i made an alpha 7 modpack just cuz

it has:

Apparello (bunch of new clothes/crafting)
EdBInterface (lots of ui improvements)
EdBPrepareCarefully (customize your starting colonists & supplies)
Enhanced Defense (shields, embrasures, rail-gun turret, drill for energy, wireless power, ammo changes, pod drops, just a poo poo load of good stuff- pick & choose)
SimpleMedicineCraft (make medicine out of berries/agave and cloth)
SurgeryExtended (more replacement/enhancement parts for your colonists)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tymqoj

there are a couple of other good mods out there too, people are still updating for alpha 7. i'm waiting on the big weapon mod to finish converting, and some other weapon mod claims to have dual-wield but i haven't checked it out yet

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

I do kinda wish you could harvest multiple organs, and even harvest them from the recently deceased.

1 kidney, 1 lung, and then 1 last organ of choice.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leif. posted:

I used to punch my raging prisoners who went on mental break; now I just step a bit away from them (since they can't keep up, due to being restrained) and shoot them. Most of the time, it works great, and is a ton faster. And if it's an accidental headshot, well, that guy deserved it anyway.

Dunno if you play with advanced defense, but put an embrasure facing into your jails if you do.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Having various colony ethos options would be great: cannibal holocaust, warrior caste, workers commune, whatever. Like a universal extra trait or two that set the tone for your little outpost.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a setting, or mod, that makes it so I don't have to click on an item to build, then select the material every single time? Let me right click to set material or something?

Also what is the mod that puts people and health bars at the top of the UI for quick reference? You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhlab30NvM

EdB Interface also fixes the problem of selecting material type every time

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just a note on this, at least what happens for me anyways, is the popup window still appears but if you start building anyways it'll select the last selected resource.

I right click to select material, then from then on, left clicking will build using that material until i right-click again. source: binged on a new colony last night. it's always good to note different experiences though

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fancy_Lad posted:

Pretty sure you have to enable this on the Interface options once after loading the EdB Interface mod...

i often fool around with settings and promptly forget all memory of doing so. good tip

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

It would be nice to be able to split an existing colony on a given world, or transfer folks/materials between them.

definitely would be cool. I'd love it if some factions would try to move in on your turf, steal your base, or already be established when you touch down. Maybe a bit too ambitious, but I don't know

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
a couple of mods add tools, he must use one

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fired up a new game for alpha 8, and decided i would try out the new boreal forest biome. shortly before winter, all of my medicine got burned to a crisp by a freaking mech that dropped right on top of me (stupid placing that beacon where i did, but it was super early game still!), so i had 1 colonist and 2 prisoners succumb to infections. i quickly discovered that i hadn't saved up nearly enough food stores for the long winter months, so i ended up killing all the animals on my (huge) map and still had to drop around 3,000 silver (90% of my cash at the time) on food since i (stupidly) hadn't built up sufficient infrastructure to support a hydroponic grow until it was already winter. throw in a few sieges/assaults that were able to massively disrupt the grow, and i was seriously struggling to stave off starvation and the collapse of the colony.

the temperature changes are kinda cool, but seem pretty trivial to overcome (parkas, powersuits, etc. are extremely easy to come by and really all you need to stay warm) while the seasonal changes have a surprisingly robust impact on gameplay.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i've noticed my guys haven't been shooting each other in A8. maybe i've just been lucky, but it seems like incidents of friendly fire have gone way down

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Added psychic foil helmet.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that was added in to prevent blocking spawns, yeah. i dont know, off-hand, which file might govern that, but you can mod a lot of things in a text editor. look in a map folder or maybe global settings or something, i bet you can adjust/remove it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i dunno. it wasn't even a restriction till like a4 or 5? this game is very tinker-friendly, even for a novice. i poked around a little bit and it wasn't anywhere i looked, but a more motivated searcher might find success. ive modded a number of homebrew tweaks over the months

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gibbo posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to mod a reaction on to the shields to basically turn the game in to Dune. Lasers cause a feedback loop with the shields and explode, archaic missile weapons are useless because they just get bounced. All knife combat, all the time.

yeah, that's good- also make them attract giant worms

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenWing posted:

Is there any way to smooth a rock wall into something that doesn't give -2 beauty or should I just be building all my mined-out rooms 2 tiles longer/wider and building a wall in front of the wall?

What size of room do you lot usually give your colonists?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

Someone mentioned a mod here recently that let you smooth/beautify stone walls, but I can't find it. I hate having to build a second layer of walls just so my colonists won't hate my base. Anyone know what mod this is?

yeah man, i haven't tried it, but this is what you're looking for-

get the community core library from this page: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0

and the smooth walls mod here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0