Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Having a guy with stun helps a lot early on but it's such a lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

It doesn't help that Steam is doing a loving annoying thing where I have mods that are updated to 1.3 on the workshop but is apparently not downloading the updated versions even if I unsub-resub, so Rimworld hates them and thinks they're still the 1.2 versions.

If you verify the game's files it should redownload all the updated mods.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I wish rimworld had a mental toughness thing like kenshi does where going through horrors makes your pawns that survive come out stronger in the end

Dwarf fortress also has a mechanic where super traumatized veteran dwarves will eventually get a “doesn’t really care about anything” stat that makes them immune to both good and bad mood modifiers if they saw enough deaths or killed a lot of sentient creatures.

Vanilla Traits Expanded has "Desensitized" which works like that but I think it just gets applied randomly like all other traits.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

There are some people complaining about "balance" but it's a single player game and it's all optional so

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anno posted:

Being able to evolve your ideology over time seems like the one universal request out there right now. Hopefully they can figure out a good solution for that, as I do think it’d be a big improvement. Royalty got a handful of pretty big patches IIRC, hopefully this will too.

It feels hard to do unless it reacts to your decisions through the story without being able to choose. While balance is whatever, being able to change your precepts mid-game is pretty different from setting the scenario before starting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is it just me or pens need to be way too big?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I made the tiniest mod in the world because I kept immediately writing when opening the architect tab before realizing it wasn't searching.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I feel a fix for this should be in the vanilla game if they are going to allow poly relationships

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

what's the problem exactly?

The "sleeping alone" thought. They should be able to change bed ownership while in the same bedroom, or have bigger beds. There are mods to add the latter but still.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I think that's just how it's supposed to work. "dang, not getting rear end tonight"

I mean, yeah, but it sucks to have to micro the bed assignment.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

hypocrite :mad:

EDIT: Royalty's "host someone for X days" quests got harder with ideology, same with hospitality's visitors. They even resent my decoration sometimes.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do you convert new colonists to your ideology?

If you have a moral guide you can use them to try and convert every couple of days, knocks a good 20-30% off their certainty.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:mad:

I wonder if it's because bella is siska's and horne's lover but siska and horne are not.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

isndl posted:

I've been using Door Mat, I haven't been watching it closely to make sure it actually works but it isn't throwing any errors at least.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work, or it got hugely nerfed in 1.3. In 1.2 you could see the filth piling up but in 1.3, nothing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

How do I fulfill "supreme expectations"? My "main" pawn has a -12 mood debuff despite the throne room, his bedroom, the shrine and the rec room all being "extremely impressive".

You can't, it's a permanent debuff.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vasler posted:

I added a bunch of the "vanilla" mods and I'm not super impressed with weapons, armour and clothing. They seem to add a pile of clutter to my workstations for either lateral or downgrades.

Like I guess I could equip my doctor with a scalpel. Or, I could just do what I was doing before and have a gun on him and avoid having to min-max.

What weapon/armour mods do you all use?

I'm using vanilla power and furniture as they seem useful.

I had the same problem with the vanilla expanded armor/weapon mods, they add a lot of clutter and micromanaging to figure out which weapon/armor is better.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I installed pawnmorpher for the first time and now I have a goat man broken by the fact he has to shave his thick fur every day. :allears:

EDIT: I keep having to have funerals for wild animals that are "former humans" though.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 27, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish having refugees gave you access to building their ideology images/statues. It kinda sucks that they get a permanent-ish -8 mood.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:crossarms:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

Quick question, is there a mod yet that goes 'ding' or something when your leader's abilities cooldown? I keep forgetting to get them to use their conversion ability.

Someone is reading this thread :tinfoil: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2561374275

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 30, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's annoying that the sleep accelerator and the neural supercharger can be researched but can't be built unless you have someone with the transhumanist meme.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

one disadvantage of pens: they have no roof

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Holy poo poo Rimatomics is magnificent. Shame its so lategame, a lil reactor would be nice.

That's why you start with oil with rimefeller and then switch to nuclear :getin:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 1, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I love how resilient Rimworld is to modding. I'm at 215+ mods and almost no issues so far. The one problem I had the mod author fixed it in minutes. :allears:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ever since reinstalling I get about a billion error messages reading "Mod Ludeon.RimWorld has multiple Verse.ThingDefs named [X]", where X is every critter, raid type, etc. in the game. Repairing the game files doesn't clean it up and I think whatever duplicate file or table is causing those also fucks up mods. Any idea what'd be behind that or what I can do to track it down?

Try removing everything from \Users\YOUR USER\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config besides your saves

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2560741422

This probably goes too far the other way, but it's definitely less lovely feeling than vanilla.

I have been trying this mod and it really goes waay too far the other way. At 24 hours per health condition it makes every other alternative (bionics, healer mech serum) useless.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Just had a quest to take care of some pets with no blood rot, so a no-brainer, right?

They only eat tar which only exists in a mod I didn't have installed. :mad:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've been using Yayo's combat (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2513695736) and it deals with this by making better armor much better against low-tech weapons

It has an ammo system but thankfully it's disabled by default, and unlike CE it's compatible with everything.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 6, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BadLlama posted:

I download some weapon packs and an armor thing

Those are the worst mods to add, they inevitably just add stuff you'll never use unless you really like micromanaging and clicking the [i] to compare stats manually.

BadLlama posted:

I also installed rimatomics but I don't think it loads into already saved game perhaps? Maybe I messed something up.

It should work, you need to unlock the necessary building through researching it first though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

quote:

- Removed allowed area assignment UI for dryads since they ignore it anyway.
I knew it :argh:, they kept dying in attacks and I couldn't figure out why.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For some reason when I installed Alpha Animals I got three mimes in a row and then never again for multiple games. But it was enough to make me distrust every single wanderer.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

there's this mod that is just bananas, I'd rather some middle ground:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2560741422&searchtext=biosculpter

it makes the cycle duration 1 day (less if you have any bionic parts) only cost 1 meal's worth of nutri and the heal cycle does every injury and ailment in one pass, really just stupid imo.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2576257954 is more of a middle ground, with configurable durations, and it doesn't touch how much it heals.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Learned a trick from a stream I watched today.
Food poisoning from dirty floor only applies when the dirtiness gets below -2.0. Dirt as a floor tile has a base value of -1.0, but more importantly cannot get dirty, so if you can keep it free from trash, blood and vomit, it's actually better to have your kitchen with dirt floors than anything else.
Anything higher than -2 apparently does nothing for cooking, so there's no point in flooring your kitchen with steel or sterile tiles.

This was true in 1.2 and before but I think 1.3 changed how dirt and filth work. Mods like doormat broke for weeks because things looked right but the engine was doing something different.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 21, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Azhais posted:

Is the door mat mod working now? I noticed that it was doing fuckall after the update despite claiming 1.3 support so I stopped making them

This one works now.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

You can also install RIMMSqol and remove everything you don't want by hand.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

isndl posted:

I already use RIMMSqol and unless I'm missing something it doesn't have the option to outright remove things, just edit their stats/properties. I'd be cautious about brute force chopping things out regardless, there's already enough mod jank going on without clumsy deletions adding more on top of that.

You can remove buildings from the architect menu by editing their designation (you can also enable ideo limited buildings by toggling "Default Designator", which is my main use)

Items (recipes) can be removed by removing all the buildings that can make it.

It's definitely tedious but if something reaaaally bothers you the option is there. And I think it works across saves so you'd only need to do it once.

Anyway, I definitely recommend RIMMSqol for doing stuff like this or changing any stuff you don't like. Your own personal mod maker.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

I couldn't get them to eat nutrient paste at all, and I couldn't get them to take free food, either. The only way I found to get them to eat consistently was to designate a specific zone with meals for them and sell them for peanuts.

You can't control the food price though.
Also, sometimes people just don't have money and you have to either gift them food or money. But honestly it doesn't affect much, if it's a big group the starving pawn's opinion gets averaged with everyone else.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Man in black comes to save the day, immediately combusts four tiles into the map.

That reminds me, I have seen the Man in black only once while my colony was getting massacred by mechanoids _and_ insectoids and... it was a guy with four in shooting and died immediately. Ah, Rimworld. :allears:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Completely randomly I rescued a Hiver-Queen (from Rim-Hivers!) early on and now every 30d I get one or two brand new colonists (with intellectual disabled). I have no idea how to handle a big colony, I usually max out at 6 pawns. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

what are everyone's thoughts on the DLCs? worth getting?

Ideology (and 1.3) 100% revived the game for me, it's amazing (but adds a lot more complexity to the gameplay)

Royalty is a hodgepodge of cool stuff that may or may not be worth it depending on what you like. I like the whole idea of having a noble with mental powers and more quests but a lot of people don't think it's worth it. And there are a lot of mods that can do similar stuff.