Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

That's loving hilarious. Also surprising to hear considering how popular it is, normally gamers boil over with rage at the sierra adventures game over effect.

I think the expectation of eventual failure and the non-binaryness of it contributes to it actually being fun. That, and the game is presented that way straight up. "You build your fort. If it is flawed, it will cause problems." Your previous screw up isn't a game over itself, it's a challenge to overcome, and that's a lot easier to accept than "game is over now, play though the exact same thing again to get what you missed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Fans posted:

Make sure they're at war with the people you want them to fight too else all they'll do is turn up and then hang about watching as your colony burns to the ground.

I had two groups show up at once. Turns out the tribespeople who like me, and the survivors that like me do not like each other. I couldn't even treat the wounded without getting their faction going to war with me. :smith:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, I wish they would eat the perishable food first like normal human beings! :argh:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Well there are traits that make people not mind dead bodies and have a higher mental break threshold, so you could slowly and build a colony of insane jaded cannibals through strict colonist selection, yes.

And you have something to do with the nonselected colonists!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
This game makes me feel like some sort of monster. Apparently harvesting their compatriot's organs in the same room as a prisoner you want to convert makes them really not want to join you. The obvious solution being separate rooms, not stopping.

Oddly, your colonists are perfectly fine with killing prisoners by ripping out their still beating heart, as opposed to selling them to slavers or executing them. This will probably change eventually.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I do it like this

There are different ways, but there's no way really to add more without leaving spots inaccessible for planting or repair.

Yeah you could fit 14 in with this arrangement.

I think you can add in another 3 with no problem. Less elegant and a bit worse to path around, but:

the extra walking would pretty much be eliminated if you cut out the top left addition, though.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
My keep/part out for organs logic tends to be "Is this person really good/can they fill a niche I really need (Occasionally I just need a guy to haul poo poo)." Good poo poo to know, though I don't know if I will ever have the patience top get up to that number of people. What sort of computer are you running that on? Because I don't think mine could handle half that many, and it's semi-modern.

Also: I went and started helping out updating project armory to Alpha 7, and now all of a sudden I'm a dev on it and know how to use SVN and I'm elbow deep in learning C#. How did I get here? Apparently being good with computer doesn't always help.

On the plus side, Project Armory is now working with Alpha7, and once I am reasonably adept with the C# side of things, I can do all the kooky poo poo and off the wall weapons I feel like.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Nullkigan posted:

Have you convinced the rest of the PA dev team that the REALLY DUMB YET SIMPLE approach of keeping spreadsheets of all the stats would be much easier than updating all the files by hand?

Seriously, you can have all the xml generated by judicious use of the ampersand symbol in excel or google docs. You'd make the changes once, then paste-drag or whatever the correct term is.

(This does discount any weapons that require custom C#, but I can't see why 99% of the current ones would actually require the extended_bullet.dll in the first place)

I'll look into it, but I've got other things I'd like to do. (both modwise, and otherwise) Coming off of doing a lot of tedious copying over, and writing a script to do it is just as tedious.

I think every time it just comes down to time investment required to learn whatever excel/regex/whatever code wizardry something up vs amount of time it takes to copy things over (Only a couple of hours to do the ones that are just xml mad libs, really.). I'm sure it's a fairly trivial task for a professional who knows exactly what they're doing, but those people tend to have jobs doing that.

It's also hard to know exactly how sweeping the XML changes are going to be between versions. IIRC there were a few where the simpler mods were pretty much compatible from the get-go. The Alpha6-Alpha7 change was a pretty big one where that would have saved a good amount of labor. Lots of things had to be moved around, tags changed, etc... So there's a chance that putting a lot of effort into it now would be wasted.

So there's reasons not to. Not necessarily good reasons, and it might be a pain at some vague point in the future, but that's my thoughts on it. If you already know the correct magical incantations to transmogrify XML files and have a bit of time, totally get in touch. Would be quite happy to help out with something like that.

(Fake edit: Oh and there's the things made out of stuff thing coming to weapons and now things can have stat effects outside of just gun stats, and a lot of that'll come into play when we start doing melee weapons. A script starts getting complicated when you start doing things like that.)

(Real edit: And that's discounting the work required to transcribe all the little bits to excel/whatever. Which would be as much, and probably more work than the copy over to alpha 7 format stuff, as we can't use a lot of the shortcuts like ignoring a ton of the tech/tags stuff unless it's different from usual. And there's a tradeoff, either we add a few things that are identical across all but one or two weapons, like damage type, incentiary quality and AI tags, or there's a dozen or so weapons that can't be done with whatever script, and the effort gain is much lower. It's a whole bunch of contributing factors that lead me at least to go "Eh gently caress it. Someone can do it if they want." )

Brown Moses posted:

So now Alpha 7 as been out for a while does anyone have any recommendations for good mods?

I think I'm obligated to say Project Armory. I find it boring as hell to just have 2 or 3 weapons to give every colonist, and there's a handy utility to deactivate any weapons you aren't fond of.

Clutter's a great one, gives you a lot to put around to make things nice and pretty and less boring.

The surgery/bionics mods are coming out, but those are in the "people figuring out what they can do" stage, and currently they have to modify core files to work, so they tend to conflict with eachother without the Recipe Nurse utility on the forums. I think Tynian is smoothing that out for Alpha 8, though. Don't have too much experience with them with which to make recommendations, though.

Apparello is the "shitloads of clothes" mod, and the parts I was initially kinda hesitant about aren't really as obtrusive as I'd thought. I'm not a fan of all of it, but it's not hard just to ignore and not use the parts you don't like rather than having to remove them.

Enhanced Defense is cool, and everyone likes embrasures. The shields module for that is also nice to let you build out in the open without worrying about your colony being defenseless against mortars.

TTM (Tech Tree Minami) is the technik/whatever equivalent to rimworld. It combines a lot of mods into plug in modules and adds a lot itself that have all sorts of intermediate steps and supply chains and everything is research gated. It's cool if that's your thing, but not the sort of thing you want to do unless you know the game pretty well already.

And, almost forgot these, but holy poo poo, EdB's UI Mod and his Prepare Carefully are so so so nice just from a usability point of view. Use that poo poo. (Prepare carefully is far nicer than the old Choose your own embark whatsit because you don't have to use it if it's installed, and can just roll normally if you want.

And there's plenty of other cool ones that just aren't my thing or I haven't had a chance to mess with yet.

Felime fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Why does project armoury turn stones into guns? You can shoot a man's arm off with stones.

Does it? Project armory doesn't override the basic tribal weapons like thrown stones, and they seem to use the Blunt damagedef, so if you stone someone to death, it'll say they were bludgeoned to death or something. I think the "Shot off" text is generic to body parts removed by projectiles, but it's not anything we did.

Certain projectiles removing actual limbs rather than fingers or whatever is pretty silly, but it's not a massive issue or anything, and I don't think it's something you could mod out without an inordinate amount of work.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Roadie posted:

For the ones that are just fill-in-the-blank variations with no C# attached, give me some examples and I'll make you a script that'll take a .csv spreadsheet and spit out relevant XML files. I'll just need to know what platform you're on (Windows/Mac/Linux/whatever).

That'd be awesome, I'm on windows, but I don't know what the other devs are on. I'll figure that out and put together a current template. You don't have PMs, or I'd say to take it there. Do you have an account on the Ludeon forums I could message?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Splode posted:

I doubt anyone will be upset if you post ahandy modding tool here, guys

I was more thinking about the leading up discussion and posting of outlines and such. Easier to do that over PMs or skype or email or something. #rimworld on quakenet irc is also a decent place, and I've been hanging out there. (Also so the discussion isn't spread out over a week or something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Blisster posted:

I grabbed all these except the tech tree one and they definitely add a lot to the game. Previously I'd just been sticking colonists in 4x4 empty rooms because there was not reason to do anything else but adding the clutter stuff is fun. Apparello is nice just for the extra hats. The armory mod is kind of cool but it seems a little unnecessary, adds a lot of management and there's no good way to tell which weapons are upgrades from what you have already without checking all the stats. The variety is cool though.

Shields are amazing and might be too good, I haven't lost a colonist yet and my computer started chugging from the amount of people I have running around. Right now I have almost a dozen prisoners and was running into food problems before I switched more of my hydroponics from cotton to food.

My favourite colonist is Byte the researcher. He's a nudist with a mohawk and no real skill except for something like 15 in research. He's got a little research bench area set up near the geothermal plant with a bunch of lockers and a weird blue light. I figure everyone's just got used to him being naked now, it's not a big deal.

I tried doing the external colonies with actual building for a while but I find digging into a mountain just seems to work better. Keeps your bedrooms safe from mortars and everything is nice and close together, which keeps things efficient.

Yeah, Armory has an excessive quantity of guns(Though once you know what you like, it's easy to turn off ones you don't care for). Most of them are vaguely what you expect if you know what they are in the source, and you can generally tell upgrades based on the price. But it definitely is a bit on the spergy end. I vastly prefer that to giving every colonist an M24, LMG, or M16(or the occasional minigun) though.

I completely forgot that shields had the ones that protect from bullets. I've pretty much ignored those, and only used the overhead shields that make building out in the open not a death sentence unless you rush all sieges before they start shelling you.