Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Geomancing posted:

The second Anomaly preview is up, spoilers as usual.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793914025

They seem to really be pushing the 'get out on the world map' so I hope they do a lot that improves caravanning.

so if i'm reading this right, a viable base defense option is now "the only path into your base passes through a giant pile of corpses with some deadlife IEDs that reanimates the entire pile to eat whoever just showed up, thus adding to the pile"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

President Ark
May 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/spaghoner/status/1321583238804987906

President Ark
May 16, 2010

if you're wondering what the mental break tied to the Inhuman ideology does, it makes them do nothing for a few hours and gives them this effect, which appears to be permanent (or at least lasts way longer than the mental break)

(also a +8 moodlet)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 11, 2024

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

Anyone figured out exactly what the new ideology memes do?

the inhuman meme causes a believer's first mental break to be replaced with a short bout of insanity followed by them turning into a psychopath:

it also turns the -8 mood they get from not being inhumanized into +8 and, as near as I can tell, inhumanized people will never initiate conversation with anyone

as near as i can tell this is permanent

i assume having your colony be all sociopaths would be useful if you want to do some of the more hosed up stuff from anomaly/dark science, while this also makes it really really hard to recruit prisoners (which is probably why the meme encourages slavery)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2024

President Ark
May 16, 2010

"Listen. It's very simple. All you have to say is 'I do' and the ceremony ends. OK?"

"brains"

"For gently caress's sake!"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i have never installed a single mod for this game and i enjoy it quite a bit

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like you're not well placed to say whether it's better modded

there's a bit of a gulf between "the game is good unmodded, but perhaps modding it is better" and "the game is torturous unmodded"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kris xK posted:

If you guys don't stop playing games the wrong way I'm going to report you to the president of gaming.

too late, man, why do you think i'm here

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Revenants are insanely annoying.

i lucked out and an imperial sent me a free revenant spine plus 150 gold so i got to contain one without having to actually deal with it

(it came from a "imperial wants to send you something but isn't saying what and is being really cagey" type quest)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 13, 2024

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

You guys hear about this cube thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3eUw3LEHg

President Ark
May 16, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

I started a new game with only the anomaly DLC loaded, no other mods, no other DLC.

I have no idea how to start the anomaly content. Apparently there should be a marker on the world map or something. I can't find it though :(

Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

look for a structure on your map that looks like this:

it should start surrounded by asphalt and several skeletons, and getting near it will give you a popup prompt similar to the popup from getting near the ruined mechanostrider thing that starts you down mechanitor

e: to be clear, this is the local map, not the world map. it's a prespawned structure like the ruined mechanostrider.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 13, 2024

President Ark
May 16, 2010

lmao

you can dump garbage down the fleshmass hole, apparently

President Ark
May 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

A small observation, "suppressing" entities keeps them controlled, but it is part of the wardening job and the same method apparently applies to slaves, monsters, and inanimate objects.

So I'm assuming that my guy is just going outside the colony and screaming profanities at the giant ominous rock to stop it from activating, and this is apparently very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QHE21CfqQ

President Ark
May 16, 2010

just had the perfect confluence of events give me the perfect first revenant

I'd gotten a proximity sensor on the one approach to my base - due to being in a mountainous coast with a road, my base wound up being oddly shaped but by taking advantage of the rocks and hills I got myself down to only one approach, from the south.

This did not save the first victim, who was outside the wall getting wood at the time.

I just pulled back behind the wall. At this point I had five combat pawns - one of whom was a mechanitor with two militors - two pacifists, and a baby. I figured I'd just pop it when it tripped the proximity sensor. Proximity sensor goes off, and... it's a sightstealer? gently caress, two different entities at once? And not only that, but killing the first one makes it scream and summons more sightstealers with no real indication of how many or if it'd be all at once. So now I have two different invisible enemies who are gonna be coming into my base, one far more dangerous than the other, and because of how the proximity sensor works I don't know which is which.

This is how the revenant gets its second victim. In one spot the proximity sensor only covers a few tiles, and while dealing with another sightstealer the revenant bolts past the weakest part of the sensor and grabs them. I shoot it a bit, and get the first sample which lets me see its trail for longer. I keep staring at the other end of the hill tunnel it came through trying to see where its trail goes, but don't see it.

Time passes. I kill another sightstealer. Time passes. I watch the top of the screen like a hawk. It doesn't help the third victim, because it never actually left my base after its second victim. I get there in time to knock off a second sample - this one letting my pawns do a metal gear solid "!" if they're near an invisible revenant - but it gets away.

I am now starting to panic a bit. Every time the revenant's grabbed one of the combat pawns. It has mercifully not taken the Mechanitor, but I am now down to the mechanitor, their two militors, and one other pawn capable of fighting this thing. I have firefoam and now that I can find it when it's chilling between eating people's souls I can actually start hunting it, but if it takes another pawn I'm probably hosed and if it takes the Mechanitor I'm definitely hosed.

Well, I stop panicking a little when I actually go out and kick the poo poo out of it a few times. I even bring one of the pacifists - partially so she can carry another firefoam pop pack, and partially because she's a noble and can call in some imperial troopers to help kick the poo poo out of it. I don't kill it, but its Sentience stat (which I'm really hoping is not just its health) is dropping fast. But it's fast too, and I can only firefoam it three times, each time only getting about ten seconds to shoot it, before running out.

I do this twice. On the second journey back to resupply, my three pawns are just inside the proximity sensor (and the imperials just hosed off, of course)... and the sensor dings. It's coming back.

The one pacifist was going south a bit to meditate. The two fighters were going north a bit. I could see a few claw marks in their direction.

I drafted the pacifist and put it in a narrow tunnel it had to pass through. And, evidently, a revenant will take the first target it runs into, because it took her instead - and gave me enough time to get the third sample. Which just lets you see the bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBV5xo9NkM

It didn't take anyone else. I don't think it even got a chance to stop running. Partly because I knew if it activated again I was hosed... and partly because shooting the poo poo out of that prick was incredibly satisfying.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Making hamburgers out of monsters is bad I'm guessing?

it's actually slightly better than eating people because it's -10 mood instead of -20. if it has other effects i haven't seen them

that said it also makes fine kibble so if you have a lot of animals that's probably a better use for it

for dreadleather, it makes good sandbags. it doesn't seem that much better than other leathers in terms of durability unless i'm misinterpreting these stats

e: okay, I tell a lie, it's actually about as good as the heavier leathers like elephant or rhino according to the wiki. Still doesn't hold a candle to thrumbofur though.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 19, 2024

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the thing about the happy fun ball is that, for something that moves by teleporting, it ironically isn't very fast and just having all your pawns scatter in different directions will probably buy you enough time

it might melt one person but by the time it can catch that person everyone else will be too far for it to reach them

President Ark
May 16, 2010

anomaly spoilers - obelisk a dude on reddit managed to build a functional base in the obelisk backrooms dimension and won the game

President Ark
May 16, 2010

so it turns out later cultist raids can have the cultists come with death refusal, meaning they stand back up once after dying with their injuries healed

and if you capture them before they use it, you can harvest multiple sets of their organs, or harvest their vital organs without giving colonists the "organ murderer" negative mood!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i always put firefoam poppers around my power infrastructure because it's a huge pain in the dick if they catch on fire

(also in chemfuel storage and my storage warehouse)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jelly posted:

Any tips for converting someone to an ideology who is particularly stubborn? Are there times you just need to cut people loose?

use conversion rituals instead of just the conversion action whenever possible; eventually the ritual will hit and convert them in one shot

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jelly posted:

idk if you're serious but originally i had a wall north of the geothermal plant with a door in it which I decided to remove to see if the extra access would help and put some switches between my batteries to reduce future explosion size

yeah i know it's not ideal to have batteries next to the plant

don't fully enclose geothermal power rooms, even with a generator on they get mad hot. you can use "remove roof area" to crack open part of the roof or add in some vents

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Inadequately posted:

The dark psychic shock from the ritual left her in a coma, but one brief burst of unnatural healing from the creepy blind man we keep around for his magic powers, one inspirational pep talk later, and here we are. I'm not actually sure what a Stellarch is and I feel like this is going to cause more problems than it solves in the long run, but it was getting a little too comfy anyway. Going to have to figure out all this vampire noble poo poo now so that's going to take a bit.

congratulations, you kidnapped the leader of the local imperial faction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

fire garbage at their bases with drop pods

note that pirates will sometimes retaliate by just firing garbage back at you instead

if they eat shambler corpses you can also do the call shamblers ritual

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2024