Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How does this game compare to Spacebase DF-9 (Other than still being developed)? I heard this is also a lot like DF, and I get a heavy Prison Architect vibe from the art (Not that, that is a bad thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Picked up this game recently and I am enjoying it immensely. A discussion I saw on one of the Vanilla Furniture mods made me wonder about something however. In a Steam Thread, the creator of the mod (this being Vanilla Furniture Expended-Security) basically argued that Killboxes were essentially an exploit/cheat which basically removed content from the game (This being in the context of a discussion that some items not being balanced for said killboxes). I can understand that forcing raiders to take a winding path toward a prepared killzone can mitigate said raiders threat. With wall/sandbag combos, auto turrets, and just no cover for said raiders, it can dramatically even the odds and I perhaps could see how that would be seen as trivializing the experience. However it feels like the game drifts toward it as a general meta option?

Can you really make a viable defence without forcing raiders to be funneled into a specific field of fire by turrets or well protected colonists? You could perhaps lower the amount of turrets or sandbags in the way, but that feels like a compromise on the concept as opposed to going without it. Open defences can work but they feel dramatically more costly are at high risk of raiders flanking or poking through gaps to end up at deadly ranges.

Also as a side note, how is the Vanilla Expanded Furniture? I was tempted to pick it up along with Rimatomics.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
For reference, the discussion I mentioned was borne from a thread within this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1845154007

Some of those extra tools may kill some reliance in a killbox, and apparently the items within were balanced under the presumption that one wouldn't be used. I get the feeling that this may be wholly unnecessary given I am also going to run a game with Rimatomics, but it could be lovely nevertheless. IIRC someone in this thread was praising the Vanilla Expanded stuff, but that may not have been for the furniture/item packs.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Defence in Depth Stuff

I would be quite happy if you could take some pictures of some of your layouts. It'd be lovely to see how it's done and may provide a nice alternative/inspiration for primary or secondary defences. :)

Also relating to my earlier comment, has anyone ever dabbled with the Vanilla Expanded furniture:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1718190143

Some of the extra stuff is tempting but I was curious if anyone had actually experienced if, and if they found the extra items useful or not. I am trying to have a mod list that isn't too impossibly heavy, mainly keeping to large broadstrokes stuff like the Hygiene mod and Rimatomics/Rimfeller.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Asimo posted:

It and the expansions are really nice. There's honestly nothing really game changing in there, but there's more options for decorative furniture (like being able to set up a bar rather than a table for example) and some minor boosts to comfort from having wardrobes to go with dressers and whatnot. The spacer and security addons are probably the most game changing, and even those tend to be more focused around utility than power. I really like them overall.

Good to hear! When it comes to the the Security Stuff, I expect a lot of the content to end up being eclipsed by the Rimatomics goodies, but regardless it should provide some interesting options.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that the nobles in DF were an impediment and essentially the solution most people took to them was ignoring them or outright isolating them away from the community.

Though this addition does make me wonder what the Dwarven Economy system in Rimworld would look like.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So if one wanted to do a 'raider' or 'bandit type of game, what mods would augment that sort of thing? I don't recall if it's vanilla or was part of VE: Medieval but I remember factions having external work camps, which was fun. Is there anything more that really augments this general theme/playstyle?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Quick question: What was the name of the mod or mods which gave factions/raids a limited pool of manpower to draw from?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

Faction Resources, it's been out of date and slightly busted for a while though :negative:

Ah, thank you for the heads up!

Also this is a long shot, and most likely some really obscure mod interaction, but has anyone ever had an issue with work sites just not spawning? I was doing a raider ideology in a temperate forest colony (tribal) start, and I went through three seasons with absolutely no work site pop ups. I could force them to appear in [i]dev mode[i] just fine, and other quests were spawning, just not work sites themselves. Is there some sort of obscure code or mechanics that define when you start seeing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

isndl posted:

What storyteller are you using? The vanilla ones should work fine, but modded ones might not support it properly since it's a DLC addition (especially storytellers that predate the DLC).

Sometimes the storyteller does get 'stuck' for whatever reason but that shouldn't be the case if other quests were spawning normally.

It was Cassandra Classic accidentally, then Randy. I do have a Medieval storyteller on but not active, albeit I am now tempted to just remove them, just in case.