Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Having a weird bug in this run. Tribal, tunneler transhumanists, not very many mods. The 'squirrel chasing an imperial' quest to start getting Honor stuff never showed up after a while so I took a random quest to start getting going on that. That got my leader to Freeholder, and so I took this second quest here, which I noted had the enemy group being completely blank, but heck, why not?

Five days comes and goes with no attack - it is now 27 days later, and I've got the borrowed trooper still hanging around doing work. Not sure if they are just gonna be a faux colonist forever or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Lmao I'm so loving bad at this game even with all these hours (largely spend feeding crippling restartitis). Sure, I know what traits and skill spreads are good and how to arrange a colony for efficient use of space and which weapons and armor to use, all those details, sure.

Then I start a vegan colony in a boreal forest and decide for some godforsaken reason to prioritize getting a perimeter wall over a greenhouse. Then accept all refugees and quests to host people. Then starve to death in winter. :doh:

It's ok, I just killed my entire colony due to stupidity. My tunnelers, living underground, safe under the mountain. An enemy mortar attack. We could have just stayed underground and waited it out, but no, I didn't want to lose my devilstrand field and geothermal generators. So we sally out to attack them and everyone dies. Complete massacre.

Except for the slave who stayed behind because he was (a) slow and (b) had a useless weapon (EMP launcher).

I guess he inherits the place.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

You can also right-click with a drafted colonist on anyone to force them to bandage them in place (even without medicine). I often do this with downed prisoners just to stop the bleeding before hauling them off to an appropriate facility. Other frequent targets are injured drop-pod arrivals who land in the rear end-end of nowhere.

There is a pretty high infection chance, of course.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

There's the "Wealth-Independent Progress Mode" at the very end of the custom storyteller settings too.

Though when I tried it on single-dude naked tribal runs, I got murdered three times in a row by multiple attackers before giving up and going back to normal mode. Even with that thing set to 20 years, I was just too slow or something. But it's there.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, for sure. I can't be the only one with drop pods next to the nursery.

If this colony is overrun by robots or bugs or pirates, one person is getting out of here with as many babies as they can carry.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I do have one vat which is in constant use for embryo to birth. I was under the impression that growth vat to age 'em up had some penalties, but even if not, I had kinda maxxed out my # of kids to keep under control and educated, so was going at 'one embryo at a time' speed...

Until just now. Some yttakins showed up in a raid and one of them doomsday-rocketlaunchered my front line, not managing to kill any of my fightin' dudes, but killing three kids who were in the nearby dining hall at the time (blasted right through the wall). I thought it was safe in there but... :cry:

If the colony survives the heartbreak, I guess it's growth vat baby acceleration time.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Burn down every last one of that faction's bases. No mercy.

The children have been avenged.

The faction leader was there, too, and was thoroughly killed.

I never did a base assault before so I brought everyone (except for one person I forgot was in a biosculpter), kids with guns & maces included. No reason they should miss out!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

The vehicle rotation in that video snapping to 45 degree angles is pretty hideous. Is there really no way to smoothly rotate something in Rimworld, or was that a deliberate choice?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Someone is gonna have to volunteer to move that corpse! Where's that least-favorite colonist...

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to deliberately shoot to wound instead of kill?

i'm desperate for more settlers but the game just keeps sending me the worst dudes who are either dead before i can fetch them, dead because they raided me or so bad i want to banish them before they make trouble (just got a kid who's a bloodthirsty misogynist. he's going to make the entire settlement including himself miserable i'd rather take the mood penalty and just banish him asap)

if i could at least take some prisoners from the raids that would help, but they all end up dead :negative:

If they're dying before you can capture them, you can bandage them in-place, pre-capture, by having a drafted medical-ish dude selected, and right-click on the downed enemy and just fix them up without bandages, to stop the bleeding. They'll have a high chance of being infected, but at least you can nab 'em.

If you're wondering why they seem to all be dead from the combat directly, the game is rigging that. If you have "enough" colonists, there is a % chance that any enemy that would-be-downed is instead just straight up killed. This chance can be modified on the custom playstyle settings: "Enemy Death on Downed" (you can modify this on an in-progress game, in case you didn't know that, don't have to start over).

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I've been trying desperately to enjoy this game for the better part of a week but it seems hellbent on resisting fun every single step of the way. I've probably started 30+ colonies in that time and not a single one has lasted more than a year.

The big problem is animal attacks. It was funny seeing someone get mauled by a rabbit the first time, but it got real fuckin old after the dozenth time on a single playthrough. It's probably been my leading cause of colony collapse and I'm really struggling to prevent it.

Traps are the way to go for early animal attacks. I usually do solo naked tribal starts, because, I dunno, I like seeing my one guy die of plague after two months, but animal attacks are usually pretty easily dealt with by building your first building with two doors on opposite sides, and putting a couple of traps adjacent to each door (not in the doorway, but next to it, diagonally). Then when an animal comes, I run the dude into shelter, and pop out the other side's door, and the animal will usually hug the wall coming around and hit a trap or two. Usually three or four traps will kill anything. Bunnies/squirrels/rats, one trap will do it, but it's safest to have multiples out there at all times in case something bigger (or a person) attacks.

If I have time/wood, I will just litter the area with traps. They can be moved later to the real entrance when a real base is set up, no biggie to have dozens all over the place.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

My favorite thing to do with ancient dangers is wait until an empire slave/gold trading group shows up on the map, then crack open that danger. It's completely random what's in there.

If things look particularly bad, run for the imperials, they'll cover you (yeah, you take an Empire rep hit if they die but I'd rather have that than massive casualties).

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Whoa.... I wonder if it follows the real-life 1 in a 1000 chance?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

The one-week-til-it-comes-out preview is up: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4128184830673758833?l=english

More stuff that I kinda just skimmed over and went ehhh at. But in play I might find it more interesting. Or as enemies.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm also not shy about deleting bullshit hostile sites that pop when I have four people wielding crafting spot knives, no thanks I won't be assaulting the mech cluster heatwave machine that's ok :jerkbag:

I don't know if this is intended or not, or if you know this, but it really seems like 90% of the time when you show up at one of those places, the mechs are all asleep, on a proximity activator, that for some reason doesn't include the door to the building with the machine in it, or the machine. So you just walk to the door (sometimes on a circuitous route, sure), blow up the machine, and walk off, leaving the mechs all asleep. Victory?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Danaru posted:

are you making GBS threads me

Haha, that's literally the only reason I've had it installed for mumblymumble years. Gone!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I had started a new game with the 1.5 unstable last week, built up a colony from one naked neanderthal tribal lady to the age of assault rifles, and then install the DLC today and, oh let's touch the monolith.

That apparently triggered multiple waves of dozens of invisible ghost things to come swarmin' in, making a huge mess. They don't do a LOT of damage but there are so many of 'em.

Knew I should have started fresh rather than bust into Anomaly with an inflated colony wealth...

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

lmao

you can dump garbage down the fleshmass hole, apparently

Time to suit up!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Do you actually get anything from engaging with the monster show or is it basically just like activating a challenge run?

There's a new uh... metal-type is the best way to put it I guess... anyway, a new metal you can create from captured things and can make some new items from, a couple of guns is what I've seen so far. And tons of stuff on the weird monster research tree makes some kind of new item or lets you summon creatures to do various things. There's a lot of stuff.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I studied an obelisk and oh my god...

This is gonna turn out 100% no problem I bet.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I totally fixed everything with a quick rename at the time of the incident.

Which was good because new Stewart immediately put on the same goddamned clothes as original Stewart.

This is assuming they didn't swap souls or whatever at creation, of course....

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I found a weird lump of gray flesh...

That could be analyzed by a researcher so I did that and it said, this is evidence of an IMPOSTER, sloughed off their body (boy I don't like the word sloughed). Well, obviously this is Stewart 2, but it says there's not enough proof yet, we need more samples.

Cut to a month or three later and on the third sample, I believe, it says OK, now we can do a surgical procedure on people to find out of they are the imposter creature.

Stewart, time to prep your rear end for surgery.

I station a couple of dudes with assault rifles in the hospital. To absolutely nobody's surprise, a horrible creature emerges from Stewart.

...and three other colonists also burst forth monsters, along with a helpful message that:

- The original source was NOT Stewart 2, but a rando who joined the colony almost from the start, my best Construction lady and... uh oh... Cook.
- She infected, via food, all the others, including poor innocent Stewart 2 (so wrongly accused).

Anyway, everything's fine now here, how are you?

(I hope all my stored food is ok... gulp...)

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

DarkLich posted:

How does 'unarresting' them work? Since they're a prisoner, do you need to re-recruit them, or does releasing return them to normal?

This tactic would've been handy to know when my Knight leader started releasing entities last night!

You just choose 'Release' off the menu and they come right back to the colony. With a -6 'Been arrested' mood, but, whatever.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I find the kids to be great fun as well. Sure, they tend to meet with all sorts of horrible accidents, but if you raise 'em up well, they end up being super useful colonists.

For kids, you have the options of all-natural method, IVF conception but then proceed naturally, IVF into growth vat til birth, or IVF into growth vat til adulthood, all with various drawbacks & benefits (mostly time vs. skill growth).

The other biotech stuff is the colony mechs, which I always intend to use more than I really do. They do take a lot of steel and power. I've gotten scythers for two colonies, they are pretty useful as repairable roadblocks if nothing else. Nothing of the further tiers though, yet, for me.

And the genes, which I again try to use but sort of make one slightly useful gene upgrade and then disaster kills the colony in some unrelated incident.

But the kids are always around and always entertaining. Even when a dozen of them show up begging for beer or silver.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Gonna Social you to death!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I've been using Stuart 3 for chronophagy. He's now like 98 and has dementia, his brain is rotting, and he's usually in a coma, but he's been helping everyone out so much! Such a trooper!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I had it done via food from a compromised cook, and 'while asleep', whatever that entails (I don't think they were sleeping together, but don't 100% remember).

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

The training decays over time and needs to be re-trained, so maybe he's just topping up the training with your raw meat?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Oof, I just had a new-to-me disaster. Someone called my colony asking to join, but they'd be followed by a yttakin raid. I take a quick survey of the situation; defenses all good, nobody's wounded or sick, and that raid on the quest dialog isn't that big anyway. OK, sure, come join!

The joinee arrives on the map, moving incredibly slowly. She turns out to be a Slowpoke with a leg scar. I'm thinking she isn't gonna make it into the base before the raid hits but whatever. I set everyone's active zone to be 'inside walls' so there won't be anyone trapped outside when the raid arrives.

Except the raid comes in drop pods. They land right in my kitchen. One of my home-grown adults, a 18-year old with Tough, Sanguine, Ranged 17 and Cooking 16 is killed by a drop pod landing on him. Never seen that before.

We deal with the raid, hold three funerals (the yttakin also let off a triple rocket-launcher right into the dining room), and then, to top things off, the new arrivee immediately has a mental break and overdoses on yayo and gets a Psychite Addiction. Real glad we helped you, lady.

Drop pods crushing people. Who knew?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I don't remember where I read this or I could be making this all up but I'm pretty sure there are built in mechanics to tip the scale in favor of your custom ideology when you have low numbers. They get a percent multiplier in conversion strength. All colonists also try to convert in idle conversations, and it applies there too. It's to address the game starts with single colonists like naked brutality or rich explorer.

Yes, it's on the storyteller settings; 'Low Pop Conversion Boost', defaults to x300%. This number is for one colonist, halved for two, no effect for three.

Almost all my solo starts get to that third ideologied colonist via two converted prisoners. You just gotta make sure on the convert/recruit/release menu you have the proper ideology selected.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have advice on using grenades?
They seem to be using Shooting skill, but I'm having a hard time justifying giving my high Shooting pawns grenades when they could be shooting a gun instead.

The very first thing to do is turn off fire at will on them. They'll chuck them at one enemy surrounded by five allies otherwise, they don't care.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

It's hiding on their Stats page, which you get to by clicking on the large "I" in the upper-right of the normal nameplate.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

You pretty much have to play Randy on an easier-than-you-would-think setting, because at some point - maybe two days in, maybe five years in - three horrible things are gonna happen all at once and you need to be able to somehow weather that. It does seem to lead to a lot of long stretches of 3x speed play during the quiet parts, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Launching pollution at them with drop pods can make them send raids, but it's not 100%.