Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I heard from very credible, well-researched and morally sound journalistic sources that RimWorld is a massive gaming bastion of The Patriarchy and oppression of women.
Aren't you people ashamed of yourself?

Rimworld? More like RiMRAworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Been waiting for full release to get the game.

Is there anything I can watch/read as a noob primer of sorts? Basic things that would be good to know?

EDIT: Also any must have mods?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 9, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Play completely vanilla for your first few play throughs. There are so, so many mods and every one has individual tastes/what they want to get out of the game. There are some who are 700+ hours in and are still playing vanilla. There are some who have 200-300 mods that have created a significantly different game who have 700+ hours.

Check mid of page 623 (last page) for some mod discussion.

I did a basic primer, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&userid=172019&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post490852627

Thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What mods would y'all recommend for a minimum QoL setup?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it possible to start a new colony in the same world/save where my colony got wiped out?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh well. It's a good excuse to try something new.

Like having a colony consisting purely out of psychopaths so I can have make fat stacks of silver with industrialized organ harvesting and human leather sofa production.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to destroy/trash specific pieces of gear without having to setup increasingly more complex filters?

EDIT: Also is there a way to auto-hunt trespassing predators?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 22, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving Jaguars keep sneaking into my base and eating my chickens!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My colony of 7 people got massacred by a pack of five welsh terriers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mrking posted:

I have two mods that together let you destroy whatever you want. 'Smelt Everything' lets any item be run through the electric smelter if you want, it will give a bit of cloth or wood or whatever back, and combo'd with 'RandomThings - SmeltDesignation' you can set up a forever bill in the smelter for pawns and then just select the item and click Smelt. It lets you do Smelt Orders too if you want to click and drag over a pile a trash.

SmeltDesignation is exactly the type of mod I was looking for, an ability to directly designate a specific item as being trash, but unfortunately it's not updated for 1.2. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bless ya.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have considered trying to play a Dwarf Fortress-style mountain base but I've also heard something about infestation being a pain in the rear end. How does it work exactly?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Frances Nurples posted:

Is there any way to use steam workshop mods without being online via steam?

Use mods? You don't need to be online to do that, they're gonna work anyways.
Download mods? You can use some 3rd party websites, made for the pirates primarily, that can do that for you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How useful are Melee skilled pawns on a normal start? I don't know what to do with them since I find it way safer to just shower my enemies in lead from afar and I don't want my melee dudes to get downed by friendly fire, so they usually just stand there awkwardly doing nothing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any good mod that would automatically make pawns pick up tools that fit their skills/job designations?
I'm getting sick of making them pick up correct tools manually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Piell posted:

Simple Sidearms will let you carry around multiple weapons/tools (depending on carrying capacity) and they'll swap between them as needed.
Grab Your Tool does a similar thing but applies to tools they are carrying

I'm already using Simple Sidearms. I was thinking about a mod that would specifically let them pick up the tools they need and put it into their inventory on their own, the same way they do with clothes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does firing Mortars use Shooting skill or can I man them with my random schmucks instead of my soldiers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For a meat farm, is there any reason to keep more than one adult male specimen?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rimworld is truly the best game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are the pros and cons of giving my pawns a weed farm?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have you every tried to shoot a squirrel that actively tries to avoid getting shot?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That pouchie is adorable. :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Randy likes you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any mod that can fix this poo poo caused by too many mods?

I want to sort them or hide some of them or separate them into a separate menu or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

isndl posted:

RIMMSqol can remove tabs, among the pile of other things it can do.

Wow, I went through like, the first 15 pages of the most popular Workshop mods and didn't see it there. That's a travesty.

Thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danaru posted:

Oh God I miss Pharmacist so bad if i see one more pawn using glitterworld medicine for a single bruise a whole lot of people are going to start losing spine privileges

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2558369439

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope Genetic Rim and Giddy-Up get updates soon.
I want to make a colony that worships giant rats.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How difficult is it to make a mod that adds a new animal?
I was using Genetic Rim for giant battle rats but it's not being updated so I was thinking maybe I could do it myself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone remember the name of the mod that gives you warnings for future raid several days in advance?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't see any reason to play anything other than Randy unless you're for some reason you're primarily interested in the tower defense gameplay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Transhumanists should really only be happy about getting replacement parts that a better than the "original" instead of getting euphoric about being transformed into a loving Pinocchio.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I have intentionally not learned how to spawn things. I actually opened Dev mode for the first time to clean up a small mistake in an Ideology, and even that felt like a step down the path. I know myself too well, and I'll kill my interest in the game

For people like you there's a "disable dev mode for real so you can't turn it on anymore" button in the options.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Rocketman and RuntimeGC work well together?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Cheers, good to know, thanks! Though it doesn't matter for my current situation, since all the chickens got eaten by cobras already.

Edit: How do I deal with predators hunting my tame animals in an animist colony?

Fences?

I don't remember if those are in vanilla game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Animists should be able to make hats based on the animals they are venerating imo. Give me rat hats.

:hmmyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any mods that add storytellers that aren't trying to kill you outright like Cassandra and Phoebe do?

I've been always exclusively playing Randy because I don't enjoy the tower defense aspect of the game but I'm curious if there are any mods that would be me more similar options.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Woah, wait a minute! The tower defense part is my biggest issue with Rimworld. Is ~The Randy Experience~ really that different?

I never tried Randy cause I thought it'd be Cassandra's waves of enemies with random strength.

Cassandra and Phoebe send progressively stronger and stronger forces to attack you, until you eventually die.

Randy doesn't actively try to kill you. He just does whatever.
Doesn't mean that he won't send stupid overpowered raid that you have no chance against, just that he isn't guaranteed to send one unlike the other two.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 22, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BitBasher posted:

Okay, how do I keep slaves warm? They need to wear the collar and straps which precludes cold weather wear.

That said, I didn't want slaves. I chose one of the ideologies for the first time and it didn't say they needed slaves anywhere on it. Maybe I missed something but I don't think so. After a few months I have a persistent unhappiness modifier for not having slaves. I find this a more than a problematic. Something like that should really be front and center IMHO. I'm rolling with it though, and enslaved a raider.

EDIT: poo poo, I just realized I don't even like typing the above

Would having one slave made into a quadriplegic, to prevent escapes, and stored somewhere nice and warm make the population happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's gonna sound stupid but some mod I have replaces all the text on the bottom-of-screen buttons to icons, and I don't like it. Does anyone have any idea which mod does that? I can't figure it out.