Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This game is terribly addicting :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I got the Asperger's Rebel guy, whose :airquote: crippling mental disorder :airquote: actually made him perfectly qualified to be a government spy and hitman

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

'Rescue' gives you a faction standings bonus, for factions that aren't hostile (according to the dev dude's video on the topic)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It was me, I am that person, and all of the 'getting started' tutorial type things I've found are for really old versions of Rimworld. There's a wiki though!

http://rimworldwiki.com

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You start with an assortment of wood and steel, and imo there is no reason not to just build three queen size wooden beds rather than make your poor survivors use the minimum quality sleeping spots.

For plasteel, you will get some back from disassembling mechanoid invaders once you unlock the machinist bench and build one.

Also you really, really want to build your long term farm next to your long term fridge and cooking stove. If they're spread out very much at all, whoever is cooking has to waste enormous amounts of time shuttling ingredients back and forth. You're familiar with this from DF but it's much worse in Rimworld, if there's a big distance between farm and kitchen/cold storage then you will need more than one cook stove (and operator) to keep up with feeding people, especially if some of it gets wasted due to colonists barfing it up and immediately gobbling up more (colonists all have bulemia).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In case you have not noticed, if you want to build hospital beds then you pretty much have to trade for the medicine required, the growable medicine plant does not count for the building materials.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it's a little inconsistent, the Floor group shows you a separate button for each material but Structures has material types collapsed into the buttons.

Regarding cleaning, it seems totally fine if you just make everyone's Cleaning priority 2, once the big messes from digging are dealt with it just never seems to get noticeably dirty any more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There should be an operation to stick a mechanoid brain into a colonist with brain damage. Or heck even a healthy colonist. Once you have the one you need for the ship what else do you do with them besides sell them?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

duck monster posted:

I kinda agree with him. Part of the fun of this game is the hosed up situations. My braindamage dude is just set to clean all day, and that in itself is kinda useful. Also he seems to actually be OK in fights for some reason so I usually stick him next to the door with a shiv and he's got retard strength or something because he manages to kill at least one dude every raid.

Someone has never read Flowers for Algernon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I tried a farming setup where I captured a whole bunch of outdoor land and walled it up in 8x8 cells, and then disassembled the walls leaving enough supports to hold the ceiling up. Well, I won't do that again because it's a giant fire hazard/Easy-Bake oven for colonists. :supaburn:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 12, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

So far I've been building into mountains, and in the absence of Z-levels I'm not certain, but it seems entirely inside.

Some of it is, some of it isn't - you'll sometimes uncover interior spaces hidden by mountains that is actually outside, which is sometimes pretty useful because you can farm in a highly secure little spot (e.g.). There is some tracking of mountain height, because that controls whether mortar hits will penetrate or not, but it isn't exposed to the player as far as I can tell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's weird, I expected tundra and desert to be way more hostile and hard to survive on than they are. While you're pressed a lot harder in tundra to do hydroponics, at least it's cold all the time and you don't have to worry about temperature differential making colonists sick (just put them in parkas and they're fine) or spoilage of food/hunting kills. For desert yeah it's hot, but it just doesn't seem threatening. I bet if Tynan implemented drinks along with food it would be quite a lot harder and more interesting.

e: The worst thing about desert is lightning storms setting all your poo poo on fire. We can build geothermal power plants out of sticks and dried poop but we don't know what lightning rods are.

e: game needs lightning rods

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm looking for a simple mod that allows crafting of low tier armor, nothing powergamey. There's a bunch of mods out there that add ridiculous bullshit, I just want something basic like the Gunsmithing table mod, which is just perfect for what it is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As far as I can tell if a solar panel catches on fire it's doomed :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm running a cannibal colony with the "Prepare Carefully" and "Winter is Here" mods for that glorious Donner Party experience and god I am super chuffed. You have to respect a game that actually allows you options like this. All my non-cannibals are constantly spewing puke everywhere - which just makes them HUNGRIER FOR HUMAN FLESH :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Inacio posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

yeah but

Butcher table, sculptor’s table, and stonecutter’s table can now be made of various stuffs.
Trees are no longer sowable. Traders carry wood.

don't these pretty much cancel out? :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't know why people mod so much rubbish like that, the game already has god mode poo poo built into it anyway. It's really annoying when you're looking at an interesting mod, ok this is neat, that is fun - woops this is gay as hell why did you add this in :rant:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes duh.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For reals, what a brilliant suggestion, I would never have thought of that thanks so much

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Heffer posted:

Making your own prosthetics and high end guns seems unbalanced, but its really painful waiting for the right trade ship to come up. Is there a mod that lets you summon traders some how?

There are much more moderate versions of this kind of thing:
Extended Surgery and Bionics V1.7
    Current features

• Research Prosthetics and Synthetics
  • Build prosthetics table and synthetics table
  • Craft vanilla bionics, 120% efficency
  • Craft bionic organs, 120% efficency
  • Craft vanilla simple prosthetics, leg 85%, arm 50%
  • Missing eyes now make your colonists less beautiful, debuff to talking
  • Craft glass eyes, 0% sight, gives talking buff to counter talking debuff
  • Craft eye patch, 0% sight, gives weaker talking buff (e.g. with both eyes gone and two eye patches 80% talking)
  • Craft crystal eyes, 0% sight, 120% talking buff
  • Craft hook hand, 50% efficency, improves melee damage
  • Motorized Treads as a leg attachment. Couldn't make it a single object sadly. 180% speed, 80% talking and hearing
  • Remove arms and legs
  • Stomachs!
  • Ears and jaws can now be harvested too
  • Power Claw + Bionic Arm = Power Arm
  • All the above can be surgically attached to your colonists!
  • All surgery gives XP
  • Craftable cheaper brain replacement
  • New organ vats added for part growing
  • Can use the vats to turn bodyparts into meat
  • Apothacarius compatable stomach life-suppor.
  • Brain removal mod is also compatible with vat mincing
  • Noses can be grown and attached too now

The brain replacement requires a mechanoid ship brain, which seems pretty fair to me.

Gunsmithing Table just allows crafting of up to the assault rifle and LMG (tbh these are probably all the guns you'll ever need anyway but they're not dumb poo poo like "fires bursts of explosive large-radius rockets")

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Leif. posted:

Can't say for sure but if it works like the power claw used to, they have to be unarmed. But that was a couple releases ago and this may well have changed. Annoyingly this means that they'll get the "hunter has no weapon equipped" message.

From what I can tell using the power claw, that damage is applied when an enemy runs up to melee a gunner and they trade punches, so it's good for everyone as far as I can tell (as long as you don't need to like, hold a baby or some lame poo poo)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can reroll the world of course (I recommend using the seed 'goon')

Also I'm pretty sure you can just do something in cheat console, that's probably safer than trying to edit the savegame.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

crabrock posted:

I'm nearing end game on a super hard mode (whatever the hardest setting is) and the amount of enemies that are coming during a raid are a little insane now. Hard to keep turrets alive no matter their hitpoints when this many idiots are throwing spears and poo poo. I have a few snipers that I send out to pick a few off here and there, but that always triggers their "rush at me" stage. Oh well. Hopefully I can build dat spaceship.

What the gently caress why would you ever leave that glorious fountain of meat :black101:

Hello friends WELCOME TO DINNER

MMMMMMMM AS SOON AS WE ARE DONE WITH THE BAND AIDS WE SHALL FIRE UP THE BARBIE :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mods that are awesome (many of these were already mentioned earlier):

EdB Interface
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258.0
Makes the UI a lot more pleasant, with colonist selection/health bar icons at the top of the screen.

Pawn Status Icons
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9163.0
The vanilla game really ought to work like this. Adds nice-looking floating status icons for various positive/negative thoughts and statuses. IMO this is practically mandatory, it's just super.

Vein Miner
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0
Click once to designate a whole vein of metal to be dug out. A teensy bit cheaty but gently caress manually designating that poo poo one line at a time.

Winter Is Here!/Harsher Tundra (about to get even more interesting soon too)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0
Ice Sheet
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11249.0
OMFG OMFG OMFG SO COLD OMFG HOLY poo poo COLD

Zombie Apocalypse
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0
Zombies have come to push in your poo poo!

Prison Improvements
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10069.0
Improve the prisons, for gently caress's sake, have some decency

Can I Brew It?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11363.0
More recipes for booze

Gunsmithing Table
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11090.0
A workbench that lets you craft the ordinary low/mid tier guns, up to the LMG. It's a liiiiiittle bit too friendly if you're satisfied with assault rifles, which only cost 15 plasteel each to make, but otherwise just perfect.

Extended Surgery and Bionics
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7029.0
Craftable bionics, but just of the vanilla stuff. They're also quite expensive to make, unless you have vast amounts of plasteel. Plus you can transplant organic body parts onto prosthophobes if you want to. Also you can install the mechanoid brain in a person, nice to have something to do with these besides just sell them.

Caveworld Flora
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9277.0
Pretty terrain greebles you can eat.

Bulk Meals
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11155.0
Cook batches of 4 or 8 meals at a time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Prepare Carefully is super great, if you don't enjoy spending an hour rolling interesting colonists each game start. Plus you can tinker with starting supplies, e.g. I have a low tech loadout for my cannibal team:

Some wood, some metal, a great bow, some herbal medicine

AND A TON OF HUMAN FLESH :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Winter Is Here!/Harsher Tundra + Zombie Apocalypse :allears:

Holy poo poo this game is fun

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somebody built some sort of slave collar thing that probably does what you want.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10878.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Fortress Z is loving riveting :suspense:

I just had one of my precious colonists go nuts in the middle of a huge wave of zombies, so I had to imprison him, but a zombie broke into the prison and bit him on the arm ... I'm sorry Meadows but you know what we have to do :emo:

To the northeast, a crashed mechanoid ship part radiates telepathic hate like a malignant right wing television station, thank god I bought a handful of tinfoil hats :tinfoil:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 21, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Clutter pack has a building that makes them more likely to appear, maybe you could tinker with it to just make it 100% successful?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Holy loving poo poo dudes, if you hadn't tried the Zombie Apocalypse mod, go get it and don't be a pussy, don't even research ship tech, stay in your colony as walls of corpses pile up around you and the hungry dead JUST - KEEP - COMING

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh gently caress yeah, the game needs this kind of thing real bad. Ant farm + murder/cannibalism :black101:

quote:

Only colonists have the fun need.

gently caress you prisoners, eat paste and stare at the wall

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Hows the new build working out? Is booze more fun or is it more of a pain still?

It's a net negative but it's a fairly fun negative, it introduces sculpture story events of puking so your artists carve statues of frat boys spewing their guts

Gibbo posted:

On that note, I've never messed with Long Pig before. If you jam the human cubes into a paste dispenser do they know it's human?

The whole point of cannibalism is to inflict trauma on your colonists, CLEARLY SIR YOU DO NOT GET THIS. The best part is the wholly imaginary layer of subtext it adds to statue descriptions of founding members convincing prisoners to join the colony. "Yes friend, EAT, EAT WELL, we have MUCH FOOD YES"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:black101:

gently caress YEAH ZOMBIES

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A little technical protip, if you've got a colony that has been running a long time and the game starts feeling really sluggish, what may be happening is that there's something hosed up with the current game data and the Unity engine is quietly handling a large number of exceptions but not crashing. You won't be shown this while playing (maybe dev mode has a way to see this but not normal mode) but when you load a game, if you get any exceptions in the console, just save the game and reload. The engine does some sort of sanity checking and on reloading you get a clean set of game data and the game runs OK.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well eventually you'll hit a bulk trader who has a couple thousand wood but yeah, Winter Is Here/Harsher Tundra are super wonderful and well done. Also sometimes tribal dudes drop wood when killed, I'm not sure if that's vanilla or Winter is Here doing that. Winter Is Here/Harsher Tundra are just very good mods all around, the guy put a ton of work into making them stand out.

Meanwhile at the tundra colony of White Meat:

aaaaaaaaa :supaburn:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah, Rimsenal has a hair-only mod if you're not interested in all the other crap Rimsenal has (I wasn't):

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11160.0

e: Winter is Here/Ice Sheet/Harsher Tundra are now bundled into one package and updated today:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dudes, for the ice sheet mod, he made the default terrain ice. :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are you a huge sperg and want to build a massive network of ducts and air conditioner/heaters in every room with different thermostat settings tailored for each colonist/prisoner

OF COURSE YOU ARE

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0

^^ seriously this is a great mod, it adds a ton of crunchy construction and capacity planning fun ^^

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Roadie posted:

There should be a fake thermostat that gives colonists a minor happiness bonus when they fiddle with it as long as they don't actually know it's fake, like in office buildings.

I'm sure this could be added but in A9 there isn't really any way to encourage colonists to go gently caress with it other than manually clicking it. Next alpha when Tynan adds the "fun seeker" system and you can tag buildings as sources of "fun" and colonists automatically go seek out fun things to gently caress around with, that could be a pretty straightforward thing to mod in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Started a new colony with the zombie mod. I cant figure out how to burn or butcher zombie corpses. I have the bills created and make sure the permissions include zombies and the relevant colonist skills are active. Anyone know the fix?

All I have had to do is hit the "..." button and enable humanoid corpses/zombie corpses for butchering and cooking and cremating. Of course you need to unforbid the corpses after they're killed too.