Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You should try MarvinKosh's Ice Pack, it will teach you what it means to be snowed in and surrounded by piles of meat THEY SAY you must not eat.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

Most particularly, play on the ice sheet. Wow, brr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah, you need to do the same for each cooking bill too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is no such task unless one of your mods adds such a thing, cotton is cloth (actually textile, in the same way leathers are).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah if you have any hard cover (rock wall or constructed wall) then you can make the enemy AI do some super dumb things. You want to keep an eye out for charge rifles, heavy SMGs and assault rifles, all of these are great. If you get any dudes with Trigger-happy, put your miniguns / LMGs on them. Once you get 10 or so combat capable dudes equipped, there's not really anything that can threaten you any more in the vanilla game, even the mechanoid drops can be handled if you have some hard cover to exploit their pathing AI. I don't think Careful Shooter is all that good a trait, I'd much rather have a guy with Trigger-happy instead. Especially in a group of defenders, you start realizing the Careful Shooter/Sniper RIfle guy rarely gets to shoot because the target is already dead, killed buy your assault rifle dudes.

You can see what effect forms of cover have in advance, with a couple of your own colonists; activate them both, place one in cover and select the other and then mouse over the colonist in cover, you'll get a target status floating context label.

e: Miniguns/LMGs are a lot nicer vs groups, e.g. zombies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I don't bother to put a minigun on a character any more unless they have Trigger-happy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really would like to, but they don't even make good hunters. When I had a colonist with 18 melee and a high quality plasteel gladius get a foot bitten off while hunting *a turtle*, that taught me that dedicated melees are just not very good at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Slime posted:

Just because they're bad at hunting doesn't mean they're bad at combat. Animals don't have ranged attacks to fight back against your shooters, raiders do. And the raiders carrying guns can't actually do much once a melee fighter gets inclose.

That's only part of the point - how do you get them practice in melee without hunting? Also I play with the zombie apocalypse mod, and basically melee is just something to be avoided at pretty much all costs there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm gonna try a melee heavy/all melee colony but I guess that means I have to turn off zombies :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You have to tone down your militia for this, yeah. Some people have made stun turrets but I don't believe anyone's come up with a stun gun, at least not in a narrow-scope mod that just has that. You can make wooden maces and put them on your brawler dudes though, to give them something to do.

I disabled the zombie mod for a while to try an all-melee colony and wow, the game is really dull without zombies. Also melee just stinks and is terrible, even with highly skilled fighters (15-17). While I didn't have a lot of trouble fending off invaders, everyone got cut up really badly and there's so much more risk and downtime. Plus the downtime of treating my own wounded made it way harder to actually capture prisoners, who also needed treatment for all the bleeding they were doing. Probably maces work a lot better for capturing dudes than longswords but still, wow that's unrewarding as gently caress.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure the modders with really heavily popular mods are already testing with alpha 10, yeah.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You also do that because if you break line of sight, it will force enemies to path towards you until they have a line of fire at you, which you can exploit to get them to come into closer range than they would otherwise prefer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is this lame thing that gives you constructible soil tiles that are double the fertility of the best soil in the game, if you're some kind of pussy and can't handle human flesh:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11009.0

actually you could probably edit one of the xml files somewhere and tune that back to something not cheaty, pretty sure

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Details of some fairly hilarious tricks involving graves:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12098.0

quote:

Graves cannot burn, but the corpses inside them can, which clears them out. Toss a molotov on a mass grave field and let the fire do it's thing to clear the graves. Something amusing, corpses can immediately fill graves, so raiders will do you the courtesy of burying themselves every couple blocks when they die. If you seal a room, then you can weaponize graves by tossing fire on them and then getting the gently caress outta there, let that temperature creep up above and beyond heatstroke temperatures. This is rather exploitable at the moment because roofs can be constructed and deconstructed immediately by the player, so as long as you have coolers capable of keeping the temperature down as the heat leaks through doors, when the raid is over, you uncork the roof and pop, 800C goes down to 30C just like that. With such high temperatures, the whole room is also liable to become an impromptu crematorium, clearing the bodies as well, assuming you don't want any loot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If desert and arid scrubland biomes felt too easy for you (they did for me) MarvinKosh has expanded his Harsher Whatever package to include those two biomes, which is pretty great. He'll be tuning it over the next few days I'm sure as this is a first release but it's already quite a lot harder, e.g. there is no guarantee you'll have any farmable soil at all in desert and if you do, it comes in patches (like a little oasis). No more giant herds of 50 animals to be vacuum'd up either.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How can you not like this embark

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fuckin A, my mods :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's pretty hilarious, unlike the Lord Fappington collection of dumb poo poo.

So as I watch for mods to update for A10, this one catches my eye
Modular Solar Panels 1.9 - 1x1 solar panel tiles placeable however you goddamn want, no more helplessly watching your solar farm burn down because nobody can put the fire out on inner tiles (plus it can be walked through/under)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's pretty neat if you're into running a large population, i.e. you ignore the ship building/"win condition" aspect of the game, you can operate day and night shifts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, they only range from disabled to 4 to 1, and within each priority they have internal priorities of their own, so basically unless you make cleaning priority 1 (e.g.) then certain tasks just never get done because they're overridden by others in the same user priority.

e: my own approach is to set everyone's cleaning to 2 but that only starts to work when you have 5-6 people :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 16, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's also annoying that dirt spawns everywhere all the time, and you have dudes drop what they're doing to rush out 200 tiles to clean a spot on the solar panel and then run back to eat a sandwich and then run out to clean a puddle of barf way out somewhere else and rush home to masturbate and...

i.e. it'd be nice if you could let cleaning jobs queue up until the end of a typical working day, how it is often done in the real world

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rev 10b has been released, fyi.

e:

quote:

Added new joy activity: build snowman.
(A10) Balance changes, adjustments, and bugfixes.
(A10) Locking doors is instant again (as it’s really forbidding them, not locking them).
(A10) Trees are sowable again.
(A10) Alpha 10b released.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I know for sure custom jobs have hardcoded priorities, I was pretty sure they all did.

E.g. this is why mining is always done before stonecutting in vanilla, and why there are mods that bump up stonecutting's internal priority

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh that's useful, thanks because currently no stonecutting is getting done in the colony I'm running. I'll have a look at that new priority slot.

e: Max difficulty is actually fairly difficult now, aside from straight numbers of invaders, that's neat.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This new version feels just way harder, which is great. I think a lot of that is me being forced to play without the mending bench mod though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The game is totally fine with no growable wood but okey doke :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

10C released, fyi.

quote:

(A10) Bugfixes.
(A10) Reworked joy thoughts into more categories.
(A10) Various balance changes to increase pacing.
(A10) Alpha1c released.

e: apparently unlisted change, you also get a guaranteed 4th colonist early on

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 18, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The pacing overall feels way slower, which makes sense I guess considering Tynan hosed around with timing pretty extensively. That's okay, it just feels different (slower) from the last version. Colonists stopping to jerk off also slows things down :smuggo:

EdB Prepare Carefully updated for A10, hopefully his UI mod is not far behind.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

Drunk in Space posted:

Started a new game with A10c and had most of the survival meals spawned around the landing site instead of being scattered to the four corners of the map like they normally are. Anybody else get that? I was wondering if it were an intentional change or just something particular to this mapgen.

This is just very random and depends on where rock masses are on the map, e.g. if you're playing in hilly or mountainous maps some of the free meals may spawn inside of occluded areas or not at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh gently caress yeah, the "raw cannibalism" happy though got turned on this version, +20 mood for eating raw human flesh :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Things you can keep outside:
- Bricks
- Raw metals
- Rock chunks

Things you have to put a roof over:
- Everything else

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can also build a beacon somewhere right outside your door and purchased trade goods/silver will be dropped right on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes that's exactly how it works. Although if you have multiple beacons that are all outside, it seems to pick which one to dump trade results on randomly, not necessarily nearest.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I already deleted my previous versions, did he always include the source code? Parts of it anyhow.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's supposed to warn you when you find that but yeah once in a while it seems like it doesn't.

ps: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0 prepare carefully is a good mod

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pawn State Icons for A10 is out

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9163.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

vein miner for alpha 10 is out

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why don't you just link to the thread that already does that.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10663.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EdB interface mod is out for Alpha 10 :toot:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The big villain of the game isn't the demon stuff at the bottom of the map, it's how your FPS tanks down to single digits and makes you quit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pretty much everybody has major FPS problems with the current release of DF. Toady added a bunch of new poo poo (which to be fair, is pretty awesome poo poo) but the already-bad performance degradation has just gone off a cliff. Even if I play on a 2x2 embark (lol) the game rapidly becomes unplayable with all the new surface biome poo poo going on. Meanwhile Toady keeps layering on more new poo poo and shows no interest at all in trying to make the current poo poo work well and run smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yep it's a great looking and engrossing game. A couple of mods that add a lot of visual appeal but don't screw around with actual balance very much:

Caveworld Flora (colorful mushrooms that grow on underground tiles and reproduce by spores etc)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9277.0

Clutter (gobs and gobs of custom furniture and a really nice light, complemented by hilarious broken English)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541.0

Advanced Lamps (in which some lamps are shown to be more advanced than others)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541.0