Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I was given base Rimworld as a gift last year and in the last month I've put in a lot of hours. After seeing all the mods and ideology stuff I turned on the ship generator, survived the 15 days of raids and now I'm vaxxed and waxxed updated and modded and ready to see what all the random mods I threw at the game will do to things.

I went with pretty much all of vanilla extended, rimefeller, SRTS and alpha animals + biomes are the big ones.

My last colony was in a year round growing area so I'm thinking of going into the tundra on a road to make my transhumanist raids a little bit quicker and easier. Everyone is going to die in my first winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Carcer posted:

Those are all great mods. I really love alpha animals & biomes.
I ended up in the Gallatross Graveyard instead of Tundra. It's another year round growing season but my rimefeller oil has to come from somewhere.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

My Gallatross Graveyard transhumanist oil drillers colony is fairly established but I feel like I'm missing something with the Rimefeller drilling. I set up a geothermal plant to power my refinery area but I can't figure out how much power the cracker needs. Everything else seems to be fine but whenever the cracker kicks in it seems to overwhelm the geothermal so I only seem to be producing things in weird bursts. Is there a good guide or something that will help me figure out what the problem is?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Azhais posted:

The cracker seems to use 3600w despite claiming it only uses 1200 in the description. It only does anything if someone is staring at the resource console which is probably why it looks like it's only working sometimes - make someone's resource job higher

Made me glad I was using the android mod, I just made a dumb t1 android, removed all other jobs, and locked it, the console, and a charging pod in a small room forever
I have someone with it set as the highest priority. I guess what's happening is someone uses the console which bumps up the power usage which causes a blackout so they stop using the console and then they cycle continues. I can add some more power and see if they fixes the issue. Thanks.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Heffer posted:

I'm just playing around with alpha biomes now. Is there a way I can send a team to prospect the Gallatross Graveyard or is the only way to access it to settle there?
I assume you'd be able to prospect it like any other biome. There's a lot of fine sand, not much wood and mudstone is an annoying colour to differentiate floors and walls if that helps at all.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Is there a way to shift prisoners around? I can't seem to control where the colonists take the Downed Bad Dudes when I capture them. I have a big prison barracks and a few isolation rooms but I don't know how to designate them. Is there something obvious I missed?
You can assign prisoners to specific beds then have wardens transport them. I have a shoddy hot box for conversions and a nice room for recruitment and it works out well enough.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Is there any way to turn my pawns into mushrooms or something? I kind of like the idea of making a terrifying horde of not human raiders. Does pawn Morpher do something like that?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I picked mushrooms mainly because I want a colony in the mushroom jungle so that seemed fitting. I'll have to check for some different race mods or something, I remember hearing about a Kenshi pack that added the bug people and they would do the job.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Check the floran mod
Thanks for the tip. My racist flower power people are doing well and since this is my first tribal start I'm going to actually mess around with the anima tree to do some psylevel stuff. Now I have some basic infrastructure I can probably start taking the expectation increase of adding roles and giving levels. I might have to tear things down instead of retrofitting it into a separate shoddy slave base though. I'm hoping I can funnel people through a murder mushroom for an early lowtech kill box so a rebuild isn't the end of the world. Slaves can run in to fetch any good dropped loot.

Do the expectations stack in a bad way? If I use the tree, the empire honour and ideology roles on one person will they expect a palace? I'm a bit worried about making a powerful figure head who absolutely despises being part of my colony because we're still basically hunter gatherers who use farming to grow drugs. I also don't seem to be able to get the yeoman quest thing even though o have the honour. Maybe I need to build something.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Well it rained, problem solved. My biggest issue is the colonists keep feeding meals of alpaca meat to the alpacas instead of preventing themselves from starving.
I'm pretty sure there's an in built "if X% of map is covered in fire, then rain" to prevent you being totally over run by the flames.

The joy of a total rebuilding job is that I have an actual structure and design in mind for my base beyond the really obvious. I even used the planning tool. Hopefully this ends up working out in the long run. I still need to cobble together my coliseum for gladiatorial combat to decide which slave gets to become cannon fodder an honourary colony member as well as minor things like a throne room. Finally getting stable electricity and a freezer makes my tribal rabble feel more civilised already. I am way behind on armour related things though, so I need to get some production running asap before I get steamrolled by a proper raid. Hopefully the murder mushroom can help out in the short term.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

A while ago somebody mentioned a mod to help you customise and design your map tiles in order to make a cool doughnut style mountain formation. I don't suppose anybody remembers the name of it do they? My vampire needs their sprawling mountain fortress/castle so they can terrorise the local populace.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

What's the deal with dark torches/braziers? My plan is to make my vampire mountain lair with mole people and have a few questions before I embark.

1) Will the dark light stuff prevent infestations?
2) Are they needed if pawns have darksight?
3) If pawns don't need the dark torches, will they help invaders fight more effectively compared to if it was just pitch black?

Aesthetically I kind of prefer the idea of having dark torches knocking around but if they don't do a lot or are actively harmful I might have to sacrifice my sense of taste and style.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

My Castle Dracula knock-off is coming along pretty nicely. It had a slow start with only 2 pawns trying to build as much as possible inside the giant mountain that I cheated into existence but things are progressing nicely now. This isn't the story of my colony doing well though, this is the story of Dash.

Dash drop podded in with paralytic abasia during winter and, due to some negligence and initial reticence on my part, he lost a couple of toes to frostbite. After initially deciding to save Dash to turn him into a hemogen farm I eventually decided, after arresting more blood banks, that his skills were worth recruiting him despite his uselessness to begin with and his severe artery blockage. Dash was stubborn though and refused to join the posse of vampire worshippers. After the best part of 3 quadrums spent tending to, feeding and converting Dash one of those crazy quirks of timings occured meaning that almost simultaneously Dash saw the light and converted to the groups ideoligion as he recovered from his paralytic abasia. He was finally ready, and as he took his first tentative steps down the path of darkness he promptly had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. RIP Dash, you were a truly terrible colonist.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I have the Rimworld itch again but I'm suffering from the eternal issue of base start up paralysis.

Last time I went with vampires so it gave me a gimmick by itself. This time I tried the Mechanitor start, but I don't really want a solo run. I guess it's time to dev mode in a spouse or something.

It's tough (being indecisive) on the Rim.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

isndl posted:

It's Rimworld, so it's traditional to find and indoctrinate rescue a spouse from a raiding party. Or pick up a highmate somewhere.
Always an option. I feel like a family of chromed up transhumanists could be the way forward. Archonexus victory if possible.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Probably the most disappointing thing yet about Rimworld, to me, was finding out an Archonexus play through wipes your research progress every resettlement.

It’s like a hard mode version of the nomad strat Coolguye has been talking about, because you keep nothing except the skills and relationships of your five chosen pawns (and their five chosen pets), not even memories of tech.

I compensated by loading down the progress crew with weapons, heavy armor, sleep accelerators, and any masterwork beds we could fit in, and it did lead to some really fun, batshit initial raids on resettlement, but the whole thing was much more of a drag than it really needed to be.
That is very frustrating. I'm not above dev moding some key research to make it less of a grind, then taking less stuff to balance that out.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the really savage blow on the archonexus steps is being pared back down to 5 pawns. 5 pawns isn't enough to run a thriving colony, and honestly i spend more time and resources developing promising pawns than i do developing tech.

the best i've been able to come up with on the topic is making sure your 5 pawns includes at least one partnership that is regularly breeding. you have to start with the women on IUDs. after you have all the Learning styles set up, including spare radio transmitters so your kids can radiotalk, you remove the IUDs and enable Try For Pregnancy. alternatively you can wait a stitch longer and do IVF with growth tanks, but that does make those priority technologies.

the quality of a properly hand-raised child blows basically every other option out of the water, to the point where i don't really think it's an issue to wait 3-4 years for a pawn to be fully "ready". the vanilla game is already leery about giving you new pawns at 5, so in those 3-4 years you're likely to get maybe 1-2 pawns that are acceptable, and you can probably forget seeing any truly exceptional pawns like you do with home-grown kids.

on the note of nomad poo poo though, do not do nomad poo poo while raising kids. it slaughters their learning opportunities.

just add Proselytizing to your ideo. Frequent will make the automatic social chat 700% more likely. anyone who joins and isn't your ideo is going to get yelled at to convert until they do.
Thanks for the tips. I was considering starting with a married couple and doing a waster family focused mechanitor run so that is pretty perfect. It does risk me having some children before I'm fully set up and ready for it, but that's all part of the fun. Plus, some kids are inevitably getting left behind anyway so c'est la vie. I'll pollute a map into oblivion to chrome myself out and then move onto the next map and do it all again.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Inadequately posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.
If nothing else it has really made me want to do a Neanderthal tribal start with the prehistoric mod so I can go from cavemen who are scared of their own shadows to all conquering spacers running their own SCP lab. They will also just happen to have chromed out dino buddies for good measure.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

It sounds like there's a spool up and I imagine mechanically once you gently caress up one or two of them the ritual fails.
This is my take. It's basically a siege variant with kidnapping rather than mortars which sounds cool. My planned caveman to spacer tech tribals might turn into cultists.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

With the new DLC and 1.5 coming out soon, how long do people expect it to take for mods to be updated? I'm excited to start a new run but I'm going to wait for the new stuff, I'll also probably cull my mod list a little bit but I really want some chromed out dinosaurs for my cave people to ride so some mods are pretty key to the run I'm planning.

Speaking of dinosaurs, does anybody have much experience with the prehistoric biome mod? I'm considering being Dino ranchers for at least some of it, are there dinosaurs that fit the bill for that?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same as with biotech, i'd imagine - couple weeks, not really all that long.

big mods (e.g. VE) have had time to refactor their stuff before release; other mods may just need a number incrementing somewhere.
I figured that would be the case, with the other DLCs I had just finished a run so was happy to play something else whilst I wait. This time the DLC has rolled around just as I got the itch.

This gives me time to decide whether I want to go into a boreal forest or arib shrubland. Shrubland seems more fitting for a Dino rancher caveman colony. Maybe I'm just saying that because the last time I did a boreal forest start I gave up on it since I found the marshes and winter slow down irritating though.

Do people have a favourite/least favourite biome? I kind of hate the jungle because disease isn't fun to manage.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I like a Boreal Forest unless I’m planning to do some serious ranching (if you start Undergrounder, or reform into it for your first pick, you can support a modest pack-animal herd over winter once you dig out a silly amount of cave space). Worst comes to worst for the cold winters, there’s a fuckton of wood on the map to just burn. The sprinklers from Dub’s find their actual use here: if you put them out on a long-grow tile you’re going to be swimming in a game-warping amount of corn and drugs.

I’ve got a mod which makes tree sprites get snowy in the right weather, makes the whole biome feel very charming (even when predators are down to trying to hunt pawns on lumberjack duty).
People singing the praises of boreal forest makes it tempting, especially with a mod to add to the snowy weather. I was hoping to do quite a lot of ranching on this one though so I might save boreal forest for the one after. That forest isn't going anywhere! Still time to decide.

Speaking of ranching, I should probably look into the mod that gives numbers about the amount of meat and leather animals give so I can figure out which dinosaurs I want to keep herds of before I feed them all to T-Rexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

When I say Serious Ranching I mean more than just pack animals and whatever predators self-tamed and got trained to fight, I mean enough livestock for it to be a questionable decision from a system resources perspective.

You can do enough ranching in the boreal forest to have pack animals and a little muffalo wool on the side, without too much difficulty.

Flesh Forge posted:

Why couldn't you do ranching in Boreal Forest, just grow a bunch of haygrass in the warm season. Boreal has the widest and best selection of animal spawns if you want to do this, deer and caribou and muffalo and wolves. You don't have wild boomalopes but you can trade for those (or as mentioned you might caravan somewhere and tame some)

E: pretty sure meat and leather values are shown on Animals and Wildlife tabs in vanilla along with other data
With my plan being to do a prehistoric run I want to ranch some big dinosaurs and get a little bit crazy with it. I suppose there's no immediate rush for that though and I can start small until I build up to sun lamps for as much food as I need year round. I can also feed raiders to my carnivore dinosaurs so I'm sure it will all work out. If it doesn't it can make for a fun collapse of getting eaten by my own pets.

I am going to miss cool dusters rather than lame parkas though.