Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KyloWinter posted:

I wish the crash landing mod was better balanced. I love the idea of it, but the execution is so... off.

You can tweak variables yourself in the options file, I changed it a bit and now it's somewhere I like a lot.

So I had a pretty nice little outpost going, up to seven people, we had some good defenses in place and had fended off various raids nicely, I was expanding our production and everything for trade, etc.

Then I get an event where every squirrel on the map went berserk. Not so bad, right? Well... there were a LOT of squirrels. We managed to fend them off but two of my people who happened to be out and about at the time were downed by it, and I had not thought to change away from my flamethrower on someone else. Flamethrowers are great at medium range, not so much point blank. Before the last of them was even dead, I got an event of a huge toxic storm that poisoned everyone who was outside, and seemed to infect just about every wound the squirrels had inflicted, but that may have been coincidence.

Long story short I want from seven people to one.

e; Speaking of tweaks, is there any way I can make it so dropped items are not automatically forbidden and suchlike? It's kind of a pain going around checking for eggs or whatever the poo poo.

e2; Hahaha a Prison Block just crashed through the roof of my residence building, setting fire to everything because it's made out of wood, but a couple of the prisoners were spawned outside so they're okay. My last couple of people (I recruited someone new, sucks to be them) are now dying of extreme heatstroke because the temperature has shot up by a couple hundred thousand degrees. RIP this colony, this game is GOTY, Randy doesn't gently caress around.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I gotta learn to trust my instincts. This colony was doomed from the start and I had constant bad luck but I pressed ahead anyway, figuring I can't just restart every time something doesn't go my way.

We've been beaten down into the dirt and all that's left is one guy, minus his left foot, hobbling around trying to clean up the huge messes that have resulted from raids/fires/infections/no cat food/a huge ship chunk crashing straight into the middle cell of my dining room/etc.

And in games like this I can never quit an ongoing thing, I have to watch it to the bitter end. :saddowns:

e; Alright so early game what's the best way to ensure a decent power supply?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 19, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I should probably try wind turbines more often, thinking about it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Geokinesis posted:

Make sure to keep their area free from trees as otherwise their output will be poor.

Yeah one of the first things I learned with them was just to pave their whole active area over for just this reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

IAmTheRad posted:

A tarantula completely destroyed my entire colony. Everybody was in bed wounded, and the raiders came.

Screw the raiders, that spider killed me.

I had someone downed by squirrels that had been driven berserk. He survived and we recovered him, but then he died of multiple infections.

Squirrels.

So more dangerous animals sounds like my kind of thing :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

The thing about wind, or rather, about solar power, is solar power never works at nght, so to run things through the night you actually need something like 3 times the power needed to run them during the day.

Because you need 1x power to run them, 1x power again to save for the night time, and 1x power AGAIN because batteries are only 50% efficient.

So, while a wind turbine might not generate a lot of power all the time, any power it does generate at night and which is used directly by the colony, is basically doubly efficient compared to solar power. This is also why geothermal is much better than it might appear, because if you use the power all the time it does not suffer efficiency issues due to batteries.

Solar is reliable, but wind is good for picking up the inefficiency of solar and batteries. It also generates a shitload of power in high winds.

This is very helpful, and adding to what was said before, I'm now pretty sure thinking about it that the games I've not had serious power troubles have been the ones where wind power has featured. I also didn't know that about batteries, but it sure as poo poo explains why my expansions so frequently seemed to run into trouble, I wasn't accounting for that 50% thing, drat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A more developed and comprehensive system of interacting with other factions? I've got Hospitality which is a great mod, but I don't know how much more could be modded in with regards to them.

Also I just had someone catastrophically fail at surgery. The victi patient ended up with several serious surgical cuts and found his left leg amputated, so he was also rapidly dying of blood loss.

The 'surgery' was to install an eye patch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay does someone have a guide or a screenshot or something to explain how RedistAir works, because nothing seems to be going through my vents and/or ducts. Explain as you would to a child of low intelligence.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Skaw posted:

Put duct intakes in the room with the temperature you want to push out. Put the output ducts in the rooms you want to control the temperature of. Place ducting between points A and B, and set the intake and output ducts to the same channel as the ducting(upper or lower.) Make sure duct intakes and outputs are powered.

I think I overlooked this channel thing, that may well be the problem. Thanks for the help :)

One other question, what's the best place to put sculptures? I've been slapping them in my dining room usually, but are bedrooms better? Hallways where everyone will see them?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Taeke posted:

I'm thinking that's a scheduling issue, but I don't know because I set it to anything at all times every game.

Sounds right, I've had a similar problem and I fixed it by setting everyone to Work 24/7 until the fires were out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lol if you don't tame dozens of mosquitoes to unleash upon enemies

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just had some Maine Coons join my colony in a random event.

Eight of the fuckers. They're going to eat me out of house and home :psyduck:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Koobze posted:

It's been a lot easier to set up, but the main problem is getting traders in to actually trade my stuff away. Are there any mods that increase traders, or let you build stuff to have them come more? Would love some kind of "marketplace" thing where local tribes visit and set up shop, and then more ships visit...

There is a mod that lets friendly settlements come by and set up a trading tent temporarily, but I don't know exactly which one it is, just that it's integrated into the Ultimate Overhaul Modpack. I just looked through the mod list but nothing stood out as doing it.

Also lol mod drama the pack has been pulled completely from everywhere the guy who made it can reach.

Anyway sorry I can't help more, but something very like what you are looking for does exist.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ahahaha oh man, I hadn't seen that. Magical :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

SovietPotatoe posted:

Thanks for the generalization, please tell me more about how politely asking a guy not to monetize work I released for free is being insufferable and whiny.

People put dozens of man-hours into some of these projects and release them with no expectations of compensation, monetary or otherwise. They do it purely so other people can enjoy it too, the least you could do is not be an insulting prick.

He said the expectation of pay is what is whiny, i.e. he's on your side here :ssh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Minenfeld! posted:

So, I bought this game and it is fun. I was playing and enjoying my little colony and I learned that I can easily change the kinds of crops I grow. I was going to grow cotton and make new clothes. But then a poisoned chunk of a space ship fell near my colony. I went to go shoot and stab it. But then a Scyther was there and killed everyone and all the dogs and squirrels I had.

Rimworld.txt

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can use shift while clicking to at least speed it up a bit.

I just wish you could do the same on the trade screen :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's actually easier and quicker on the trade screen. Click once and then drag the number of goods being traded.

gently caress me

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tenzarin posted:

I think I made a mistake by burying the raiders, because my people all go to their graves and get sad. Why would they get sad? Raiders got shot to death by a turret while trying to kill them.

There are certainly some traits that should lead to sadness because even if you're under attack you might despise the necessary actions, but yeah, it's a bit silly if it's not a Mennonite colony. More than that though, my pawns seem to prioritize visiting graves over just about any other loving thing they could do with their time, I wouldn't mind them nearly so much if that was just a lot rarer.

e; You probably already know but just in case, once you build a crematorium you can exhume the graves and toss the corpses/skeltals into the furnace anyway, so you're not stuck with this for the rest of that colony. I tend to use graves as a stopgap then dig the lot of them up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just had a simultaneous volcanic winter and cold snap

things dropped from an average of about 10 this month to -30 outside lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tenzarin posted:

how do you check the temp? i have had to just guess how to set heaters and coolers.

It should be the bottom right of your game screen just above the date and weather.

e; although you don't actually need that info for heaters and coolers in most cases, because the temp you set those to is their target temperature, and they will try to achieve it as long as they are powered.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azhais posted:

So people that use redist heat, does it work for cooling for you? For the life of me I can't get cooling to work. Heat, no problem. But my network will never cool. I've got an industrial cooler dropping the room to about 3 kelvin and the pipes are still room temperature. Intakes and ducts are connected to the right network. Not a huge issue since my colony is in a boreal forest and it's never actually warm out, but I'd love to make a middle of the base freezer for meds

I just finished setting up a cooler duct network for the same purposes and I had no trouble with it at all :shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fans posted:

I have a lady who pulled this guy out of a fire to save his life and now he hates her because she's so ugly from all the burns. My Pawns are such dicks.

Drunk in Space posted:

One of my colonists was getting chased by a Megascarab he was doing a poor job of hunting when suddenly the cat came running in, stunned it, killed it, and then hungrily devoured several of its body parts.

I like this update.

Swedish Horror posted:

I just 'cured' a colonist's asthma by replacing their lungs with the ones I ripped out of a prisoner.

If anyone needs a quick answer to "Should I play RimWorld", yeah it's basically Dwarf Fortress tier hilarity.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

hahahah, holy poo poo, when I saw the thread title I assumed it was minor drama but this poo poo is gold

Hahaha same, this is incredible. :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Danaru posted:

My favourite dev moment from Toady was when that one guy made a gigantic contraption that involved breeding mermaids, firing their children down chutes where they'd suffocate without water, then be taken to the butcher shop so their bones could be put onto furniture and crafting stuff, prompting Toady to go "What the gently caress." and nerf the price of mermaid bones to stop that one guy's infernal baby mermaid bone machine.

Okay but mermaid bones were INCREDIBLY valuable. I am not saying I would farm newborn mermaids for their bones myself but I can't bring myself to condemn an honest dwarf for doing so.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LonsomeSon posted:

God loving dammit, you're right. I feel dumb for not realizing this.

But probably I'm going to continue to build my hospitals the 'correct' way for the same reason that I build workshops to leave clear walkways even though the pawns ignore them and crawl all over the work tables to get fresh raw materials from the production-floor stockpiles.

e: not-quite-ocd which applies only to video game living/working environments, for clarity

Hello my dear Internet twin :v: I am the same and it's terrible, I am never even happy with how it looks, which you'd think would be the one upside.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:yeah:

e; jesus, that's some insane work he's done to redo the world as a whole. I wonder if you'll be able to go force others to swear fealty to you and become a despotic empire :black101:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I swear I've seen a version that is actual photographs.

Yeah there is one, but I don't have it to hand I'm afraid.

A shameful memegoon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I always feel like I'm "falling behind" though. Usually my pawns are so busy I barely remember to stop and do research or some other long-term usefulness task. Not when there is infrastructure to build, blocks to carve (so I can build rooms, I try to switch from wood ASAP), fields to plant, so much hauiling, etc etc

Man same, I always feel massively behind after about the first hour on the planet, and there's always something I've straight up forgotten.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I never catch up though, I just fall further and further behind until the colony dies.

I'm a Dorf Fort vet though, so my mantra is Losing Is Fun!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Aren't miniguns horrendous? I was using one on a guy and he couldn't hit poo poo!

Give them to someone with Trigger Happy. Witness the carnage.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

straw man posted:

Pressing random in the scenario editor is pretty funny. Not in the way that you'd actually want to play it, exactly.

You weren't kidding, look at this poo poo right here

:laffo: I was almost tempted to go for it. Between the armor and the fifty-five minguns, I wouldn't have had trouble with raiders for awhile. No electricity, no hunting, miniguns only, final destination.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

vandalism posted:

Making the map cover 100% of the globe makes it look sweet but take forever to load, even on an SSD.

Eh, it takes about 40 seconds for me, which is a lot less time than I'll spend looking for a site or fannying about with Prepare Carefully or choosing a name for that matter.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, caffeine addiction? that's a thing?

Oh I think that's from a mod.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Holy poo poo, I have the Cult mod, and two of my people just murdered some octogenarian who had shown up wanting to join the newly founded Esoteric Order of Dagon. They ain't having none of it.

Of course, having that blood on their hands, who knows what memories and whispers may haunt them in the night?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

No preparations we play Crashlanding Hard like men. So actually I do prepare carefully, but I can count on at least one of my three people dying on landing, and I'll probably pick up one or two survivors from other cryptopods that hit, but they could be useless sacks of poo poo.

This becomes improbably difficult when you're also running the mod that ups plant density because the fires from crashing ships will eat massive parts of the map in no time. You gotta pray for a ruined, stone building, or you're going to be huddling against rock walls two tiles from the flames.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Carcer posted:

There's always some weirdo who wants to add bodily functions to these sorts of games.

The mod is actually pretty well done, though it needs some work around the edges as mentioned. I mean, if you want yet more infrastructure to worry about.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

^^^ e; holy poo poo :catstare:

Omnicarus posted:

The Auto-Mod went rogue and shut it down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a pretty RimWorld fate to meet! :v:

Also yeah Randy 4 lief.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Zhentar posted:

Heat waves are a flat +20C to outdoor temperature, period. Storyteller & threat points don't matter.

That definitely seems wrong, because I've had heat waves up the temp by around 40c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

You're in trouble if Humbaba shows up though.