Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I just bought this two days ago as well, and my SendOwl link looks like it's not updated but when I click on it I get the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I think they could reduce the likelihood of enemies dropping in with grav-chutes instead of spawning on the map edge somewhere. I started a new game yesterday on Phoebe, and got a beautifully defensible starting location so I thought I'd get to see some of the tactical gameplay that some of the posters in this topic have been talking about with hiding in the dark, crouching behind sandbags, kiting enemies into death zones and all, but I've never gotten the chance. The first attack on my settlement was a single raider who approached normally. An hour later (when I had mastered "put down a stool and a table so my dudes don't eat off the floor" technology) I had a goddamn centipede-bot drop directly into the center of my camp. That sumbitch killed two of my dudes and seriously injured another, leaving six alive. A few hours after that, FIFTEEN space pirates grav-chuted into the vulnerable center of my camp, completely bypassing all my defenses and mowing down my poor colonists. Ironically, they defeated themselves by trying to carry away my entire camp for slaves, but to get away they had to walk through my turret defenses.

Despite capturing every one of my colonists, they didn't get to take any away because everybody who was carrying one of my guys got shot up badly enough they had to drop the prisoners. Once my colonists limped back to camp and healed, there were still a couple of injured pirates barely clinging on to life in the scorching sun. I captured two of them, one a pirate warrior who had an arm and foot shot off, and one a Mad Scientist who I recruited to replace my medic who had died in the attack. His first task once he turned to my side was to remove a kidney, lung, and heart from his former ally, which he did with more enthusiasm than skill. I then sold those organs to an exotic goods trader for enough money to buy a machinegun and a sniper rifle to hopefully be able to defend myself the next time two and a half times the amount of guys I've got spawn directly inside my base with more advanced weapons than I've seen in the game yet.

Mengele Simulator 2014 is a blast, I just wish I'd get a chance to try out all these defensive setups I've built apparently for decoration. Here's hoping this hotfix doesn't wipe out my save.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 3, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I had the game crash just now when trying to trade a whole bunch of stuff at once. I was trying to foist off about 4000 silver worth of potatoes and a dozen or so white cotton cowboy hats in exchange for an energy rifle and about 40 medicine. It locked up solid for ten seconds, just had a black screen that wouldn't respond to any keys including Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then it dumped me back to the desktop and the Rimworld process wasn't running anymore.

I was able to reload an autosave and sell that same amount of stuff although split over three transactions. So, word of warning, don't try to buy or sell more than 5000 of an item at once. This is the only game-killing glitch I've run into though, this alpha is more stable than a lot of releases I've seen the past couple of years. Money well spent.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

When I was first learning the game a few weeks ago (whichever day I posted "Mengele Simulator") I captured a mad scientist from a pirate raid. However, in the course of learning how to extract organs from live prisoners, I must have pressed the wrong button because my mad scientist removed his own liver. He got it all the way out and packed in one of those boxes before he laid down and died.

Then his pirate buddies came back in another raid and stomped my poor colony into the dirt.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The author of Space Mengele Simulator 2015 has unorthodox political views? Say it ain't so!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

That 3000 word essay on Reddit is disappointingly reasonable and levelheaded coming from the designer of Shipwrecked On Planet Mengele No Man's Bi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

amiantos posted:

I'm basically the director of technology for a retail gardening chain. Last night while playing I couldn't help but keep thinking about this comparison and how it never dawned on me before. Being fairly high up in a company has given me a new perspective on companies and how they work and survive, and it is very RimWorld... everyone is just fumbling through poo poo typically, usually loving it up, but getting through. If anyone lasts long enough to get good at what they do, it's only a matter of time before they're gone or have been driven insane.

Life is great.

Between all the prisoner organ harvesting, slave trading, and cannibalism that sounds like the most hardcore badass metal as gently caress retail gardening chain ever.